can anyone please give me proof that Jesus Christ is real?

Mustard Seed

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack

Uh... who exactly did God command Abraham to deceive?

I made a mistake. It was not a command to deceive so much as a go ahead to do so. I was referring to what Abraham did with Pharaoh and latter with Abimalech concerning his wife/sister. I'm sorry I got that mixed up. It would properly be phrased, my previous question, 'Why did God permit and seemingly endorse Abraham's deceptions concerning his wife (and afterwords Issac's similar deception)?'

c.moore

So I guess there is no logical or historical proof out side of the bible that Jesus and that even Adam and Eve really lived or existed.

maybe these thing just are not made to be proven , just accept and believe.

here it believe it and don`t research it plain and simple, because you might come up with a different answer or know something differently.

Aimiel

If your faith in God is such that it will wane in the face of physical evidence contrary to The Word of God, your faith is weak. Circumstances will always try to discount The Word of God. I believe that our circumstances are the mountain that Jesus wants us to grow the faith to cast into the sea.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by c.moore

So I guess there is no logical or historical proof out side of the bible that Jesus and that even Adam and Eve really lived or existed.

here it believe it and don`t research it plain and simple, because you might come up with a different answer or know something differently.

This is one of the most honest posts I've ever read at TOL.

The minute Christians start asking if you've been reading "dangerous books" you know you've just crossed a line, whether you know it or not. There definitely seems to be a strain in evangelical circles where thinking for yourself is okay only up to a certain point.

philosophizer

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but what about the apostles, and subsequent church fathers willing to be martyred rather than renounce their faith? Should we all assume they were just crazy? Or should we consider the possibility that they died to preserve the Truth that they knew?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by philosophizer

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but what about the apostles, and subsequent church fathers willing to be martyred rather than renounce their faith? Should we all assume they were just crazy? Or should we consider the possibility that they died to preserve the Truth that they knew?

Mormons have been willing to die for their church, too. So called "heretics" throughout the church's own history have been martyred for what they sincerely believed.

"The truth that they knew" is quite a dicey argument, as far as I'm concerned.

philosophizer

Originally posted by granite1010

Mormons have been willing to die for their church, too. So called "heretics" throughout the church's own history have been martyred for what they sincerely believed.

"The truth that they knew" is quite a dicey argument, as far as I'm concerned.

But there is some validity to the fact that several people who say they directly knew Jesus, and several people who all heard the same original testimony from those that claim to know Him, did die instead of "go back on their story." No argument's perfect, but that seems to me to have some sense to it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by philosophizer

But there is some validity to the fact that several people who say they directly knew Jesus, and several people who all heard the same original testimony from those that claim to know Him, did die instead of "go back on their story." No argument's perfect, but that seems to me to have some sense to it.

...and Joseph Smith and other "witnesses" to the Book of Mormon's validity saw angels and spoke with God the Father and the Son in person, if you're in the LDS church. Smith faced persecution wherever he went and died at the hands of a mob rather than fess up, make up a confession, and come clean. Joan of Arc went to the stake rather than admit she was koo-koo for Cocoa Puffs or lying. Somewhere along the line either Joan and Joe were either nuts, con artists, sincerely deluded, or something else (perhaps a combination of all three). Or, perhaps, they were right. But one way or another they sincerely, truly believed in what they died for. I for one aren't a believer in God talking to militant French women and I'm not gonna join my local Mormon congregation any time soon. And I don't care how sincere either of these two were during their lifetime.

Sincerely believing in a movement or person isn't enough to prove it's onto something. Ask any radical, bomb thrower, or revolutionary. It doesn't mean they're wrong or right; it's just not a compelling argument.

firechyld

Is it any less "true" just because it cannot be historically verified?

They might have died for something completely different than what we understand them to have died for. The point is that they still died, and from the point of view of modern Christians, they died for good reason.

c.moore

This is one of the most honest posts I've ever read at TOL.

The minute Christians start asking if you've been reading "dangerous books" you know you've just crossed a line, whether you know it or not. There definitely seems to be a strain in evangelical circles where thinking for yourself is okay only up to a certain point.

Thanks!
This is what my teacher said about the belief system it is ok until you come near or outside the box or circles, and certain limited points.
When you come beyond that point you will and should be condemned by the Holy Spirit , even though there might not be no biblical proof, just accept what you think the Holy spirit might say, like for instance give up all you money, tithes, and believe all any pastor say`s, or commands.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Thanks!
This is what my teacher said about the belief system it is ok until you come near or outside the box or circles, and certain limited points.
When you come beyond that point you will and should be condemned by the Holy Spirit , even though there might not be no biblical proof, just accept what you think the Holy spirit might say, like for instance give up all you money, tithes, and believe all any pastor say`s, or commands.

It's true about any belief system. Stray too far one way or another or start asking certain questions and you hit a firewall.

c.moore

It's true about any belief system. Stray too far one way or another or start asking certain questions and you hit a firewall.

So are you agreeing that we should also stay away from believing, and faith??

Granite

Hall of Fame

So are you agreeing that we should also stay away from believing, and faith??

Not at all. I am saying that this is just a symptom of fundamentalism, whether it's Judaic, Islamic, or Christian. Religious fundamentalism by its nature discourages intellectual inquiry, skepticism, and examination. All religions that are fundamental in nature are, in one way or another, self-proving. Go outside that box and you'll find yourself in a world of grief.

c.moore

granite1010

But wouldn`t we have a better picture of things from out that box , and a better view of reality to see the facts??

why not question our own beliefs , and bible?

Why is this not allowed but we can condemned other religions and belief and try to prove them wrong??

Last edited:

c.moore

This is the teachers reply to a christian and too christian scholars:

ask your professor to prove this. there are plenty of writings about jesus before the 4th century ad
.(Where are these writings about Jesus before the 4th century A.D.? Produce them. Christians always make that statement but never produce any proof of an historical flesh and blood Jesus. Do the research instead of simply believing and making ungrounded statements.)
i find it hard to see how there could have been a christianity for 300 years without christ. honestly i cannot think of a single scholar who even suggests that the writings of the new testament come this late.(You need to do research and look at the facts.)

Here are some facts about the bible.

A collection appeared in the first century B.C. and again in the first century A.D. to be accepted by the Jews of the Diaspora as sacred, and passed on to Christians. In both Jewish and Christian hands the papyri underwent many changes. In the 4th century A.D., St. Jerome collected some Hebrew manuscripts and edited them to produce the Latin Vulgate, a Bible of considerable inaccuracy, differing markedly from JeromeÂ?fs stem texts.

The King James Bible relied mostly on a Greek text collected and edited by Erasmus n the 16th century, which in turn relied on a Byzantine collection assembled gradually at Constantinople between the 4th and 8th centuries. A few older texts have been discovered: the Codex Sinaiticus, the Codex Vaticanus, the Codex Alexandrinus, and the Chester Beatty papyri. All are fragmentary, all differ from one another and from the King James version.

According to one scholar, Â?gThere are no known portions of the Bible older than the 4th century A.D. (Charles F. Pfeifer. The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Bible).

The Revised Version of the New Testament published in 1881 tried to correct some of the more glaring errors. It erased the spurious final twelve verses of Mark, which were late interpolations including the words that caused centuries of suffering: Â?gHe that believeth not shall be damned.Â?h It eliminated the fraudulent translation Â?gJosepth and his mother,Â?h intended to preserve the dogma of the virgin birth, and restored the original Â?ghis father and his mother.Â?h It omitted the forged interpolation intended to preserve the dogma of the trinity: Â?gFor there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these are one.Â?h These words appeared nowhere before the 15th century A.D. However, the Catholic church insisted on retaining the forgery.

In 1897 the Congregation of the Index, with the approval of Pope Leo XIII, forbade any further research into the origins of this text. (If the Bible is the word of God, why the fear of research?)
Richard SimonÂ?fs 17th-century Critical History of the Old Testament exhibited the now well-known internal evidence that the books of Moses were not written by Moses but were compiled by many hands at a much later date. Bishop Bossuet pronounced this work of scholarship Â?ga mass of impieties,Â?h drove its author out of the Oratory, and ordered the entire first edition burned. Dr. Anexander Geddes, a Catholic scholar, translated the Old Testament in 1792 with a critical volume proving that the Pentateuch could not have been written by Moses, nor at any time prior to the reign of David. He was denounced as Â?ga would-be corrector of the Holy Ghost.Â?h

Seven clerical scholars published Essays and Reviews in 1860, defining the new science of Bible criticism. They were denounced, and two were suspended from office; but they took their case to court, and won. In 1869 KuenenÂ?fs The Religion of Israel established Bible criticism as a valid field of investigation. He was followed by many others in Holland, Germany, and France. In 1889 the book of biblical essays called Lux Mundi gave up all pretense of the scripturesÂ?f historicity or divine inspiration, admitting that the Bible is a confused mass of myth, legend, and garbled history, often contradicting provable facts.

When the theologians began to give in, they complained that viewing the Bible as myth would destroy the whole structure that their livelihood and self-respect depended on. After David StrausÂ?fs LebenÂ?fs Jesu disposed of the historicity of the Gospel stories, and RenanÂ?fs Vie de JÂ?Å’esus showed that the Gospels cannot be taken as literal truth but only as romantic symbolism, the Rev. Maurice Jones exclaimed, Â?gIf the Christ-Myth theory is true, and if Jesus never lived, the whole civilized world has for close upon two thousand years lain under the spell of a lie.Â?h

Obviously the Bible was full of myths and legends, but most orthordox theologians had no idea of their meaning. One reason was that they didnÂ?ft study the corresponding myths and legends of other cultures-ancient paganism etc.. Christian missionaries viewed all other myths as absolutely false, but the myths of the Bible the saw as absolutely true.
One of the erroneous notions that still keep Christian women shackled to their Bible-based Â?ginferiorÂ?h image is the notion that Christianity was founded on the New Testament, when in fact the early churches had no Gospels but rather created and produced their own (Herbert J. Muller. The Uses of the Past). Not only did churchmen falsely pretend an apostolic origin for their scriptures; they also weeded out all references to female authority or participation in Christian origins (Elaine Pagels. The Gnostic Gospels). Only the forbidden Gnostic Gospels retained hints that Jesus had 12 female disciples corresponding to the 12 male disciples, or that Mary Magdalene was the leader of them all. Even womenÂ?fs scholarship was denied. St.Jerome openly admitted that his co-authors of the Vulgate were two learned women; but later scholars erased the womenÂ?fs names and substituted the words Â?gvenerable brothers.Â?h (Elise Boulding. The Underside of History).

Granite

Hall of Fame

granite1010

But wouldn`t we have a better picture of things from out that box , and a better view of reality to see the facts??

why not question our own beliefs , and bible?

Why is this not allowed but we can condemned other religions and belief and try to prove them wrong??

I agree completely. Keeping one perspective your whole life is safe--and that's about it. Questioning what we believe, and why we believe it, is something the church SHOULD encourage. After all, it's not as though Christianity has anything to hide (or does it?) and if it's true, Christianity should be able to stand up to skepticism, questions, and examination. Right?

The same reasons Christians give for believing what they do are the very same reasons given by a fundamentalist Muslim or Jew. And all sides condemn one another. Fundamentalism does not take any quarter. It's not enough to agree; you have to constantly be on the attack. And that ain't cool.

Aimiel

Not at all. I am saying that this is just a symptom of fundamentalism, whether it's Judaic, Islamic, or Christian. Religious fundamentalism by its nature discourages intellectual inquiry, skepticism, and examination. All religions that are fundamental in nature are, in one way or another, self-proving. Go outside that box and you'll find yourself in a world of grief.
I would encourage believers to continue to walk in the gifts that God gives to them, one of which is perfect love. That perfect love not only casts out all fear, it also allows them to do even more:

Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails;

If someone has doubts about The Word of God, then that means that they are double-minded, and don't have their mind made up to walk with The Lord, no matter what the cost. When we have faith in our own 'understanding' or what we've 'proven' to ourselves, we don't demonstrate faith in God, but faith in flesh.

openthestargate

Historically, there was a Jesus

Historically, there was a Jesus

If you look up in the writings of the Jew Josephus he mentions the person of Jesus in his time. Also, you must realize that the gospel accounts found in the New Testament are HISTORICAL biographies, whether one accepts them or not.