YouTube censorship

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
We really don't seem to be that far apart on most of it so I'll touch upon a couple of points for the sake of conversation.
It is, as evidenced by some of the posters on this thread, it's important because it's important to a lot of people. Islam began militaristic, and the Church cannot be said to have become in any way militaristic until the crusades, which were over 1000 years later.
I'd say it's still a more a matter of context and opportunity, since once the church had a military arm it behaved much the same.

There were divisions before then, but it wasn't until them, that the Church began raising any kind of sword and shedding any appreciable blood, and especially not between Christians.
Until the Protestant/Catholic divide the church had one voice. Once there was a serious division the swords came out and stayed out until my aforementioned secularization, which was good for our faith and is one thing that has been a more constant thorn in the side of Islam. Since most of what sent Christians to war in the name of their faith was tradition and not scripture.

Based upon the 1000+ years before the crusades occurred, and the handful of years before Mecca was conquered, I've got to maintain my disagreement with you here.
Not sure I follow you. Christendom overcame the world, colonized and conquered it in a way Islam never did. I think the win on the militaristic front is clearly Christendoms. At least so far.

Because people are people, whether Christian or not. Nobody is above suspicion, just based upon their religion.
I've always believed that most people have no real inclination to turn their religion into a weapon, but the sort who tend to lead also tend to be the sort who tend to lead others into the maw. Or as I once said to an atheist, if you removed God from the tongue and books of man you wouldn't cure man of a single ill, but you'd rob him of the chance for it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm speaking to a fundamental division on the question of how the faith was interpreted. The Protestant/Catholic division was revolutionary. The break up between Orthodox and Catholic was largely political and geographic in nature. It was the nature of the division, the serious split on fundamental matters of faith that translated to violence between the two factions of Catholicism and the Protestant newcomer.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I'm speaking to a fundamental division on the question of how the faith was interpreted. The Protestant/Catholic division was revolutionary. The break up between Orthodox and Catholic was largely political and geographic in nature.

a weak followup to an F statement

I give you a D+

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
a weak followup to an F statement

I give you a D+
A typical follow up by you to evidence a sad obsession on your part coupled with a near pathological need to contest and win points of order at the cost of meaningful conversation, wrapped as always in the self-appointed robes of a judge, which is funny enough.

Did you ever get the mistake you made and the altered assumption you advanced on the other bit (on censorship) that had me chuckling?

ok doser

A typical follow up by you to evidence a sad obsession on your part coupled with a near pathological need to contest and win points of order at the cost of meaningful conversation, wrapped as always in the self-appointed robes of a judge, which is funny enough.

Did you ever get the mistake you made and the altered assumption you advanced on the other bit (on censorship) that had me chuckling?

and a predictable lashing out to soothe your fragile ego :nono:

sad, town, really sad

seek Christ

only in His redemption will you find the peace you so desperately need

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. “The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him.” Deuteronomy 13:13-19
This has nothing to do with the conversation.

The democratic party of the 19th century was the party of conservatives.
Sure, they wanted to conserve the old ways, but the way they thought was left wing... same as today's democrats. There has been no switch, there has been no change except for republicans turning left wing and causing as much censorship, slavery, death, and destruction like the left wingers love.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This has nothing to do with the conversation.

A common problem ITT. :plain:

YouTube can cut whatever content it likes for whatever reason and it is not censorship.

The problem is when they capitalize on the promise of payments to draw contributors and then deny revenue to content creators; potentially fraud.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So this you have time for, but my point by point in rebuttal you can only give a partial on one part...
The point by point was much longer and would have taken much more time. I found some time, but not unlimited amounts. I don't think I missed anything important, but if you think I did, please mention it.

okay, well first the OT is filled with a good many condoned and ordered acts of violence, but I agree with you that Christ was a game changer in fulfilling the law. And yet, the Church that followed the NT is the same church I noted warred and raged across Europe and felt justified in doing it. Those Protestants and Catholics had Bibles. And the apostate, in a religious Islamic state, is definitely going to run into OT strong responses.
Christ did not change his attitude from the OT to the NT. God was specific about who, and frequently why, He wanted someone utterly destroyed. Throughout history the Jews never proselytized by the sword. The Muslims, OTOH, have open commands to murder unbelievers and apostates. If they don't do that, then they are commanded to enslave them. And if they weren't sure if Muhammad was serious, they learned how to murder and enslave from Muhammad himself.

No, it's extremist compared to the overwhelming majority of Muslims and how they conduct their business. That's why, for the who knows how many times now, it's Muslims doing most of the dying and fighting to put those extremists down.
You don't have to mention that muslims do most of the dieing when muslims are out killing. That doesn't prove your point. It only shows that muslims have an easier time getting to apostates than unbelievers.

Which again is why when Muslims controlled vast areas of the world and much closer to the days of their prophet the Christian and Jew lived among them and were not put to death for their difference. :plain:
And those very same Jews and Christians were treated then like they are treated today in muslim controlled areas - shamefully.

But you seem to be OK with the way muslims of which you speak here treated Jews and Christians. We'll return to that in a moment.

What you did in misrepresenting me was to proffer a distorted "paradise" bit of nonsense that wasn't at all what I actually said. Misrepresenting me wastes time with my having to go back and correct you and I'm going to do that every single time. I didn't imply, I noted that people of other faiths weren't put to death for their difference. I only just did it again. You say that people of other faiths were treated "shamefully" but you don't say how or what that means, so it's a bit like most subjective judgments until you do.
Sorry, but I'm going to continue to use hyperbole as a literary form. If you tell me Stalinist Russia was a good place, I'll respond by confirming your position with "sure, it was a workers paradise." And that isn't an analogy, it's an example. (<- for the peanut gallery, watch the fun this last line provides)

I didn't explain every command the muslims had. Just the worst. Since they are commanded to murder, and they have other commands to enslave, and other commands to treat other people shamefully, I just mention the worst one and assume you can figure the rest out without me having to explain every detail every time the topic comes up.

The distinguished historian Bernard Lewis described the status of those outside of the Islamic faith, living in Spain during the reign of the Moors as having a second class citizenship. That is, they had rights (including the right to their faith) but not the same or as many as their conquerors. By comparison with the day it was generous, unheard of even. By our lights, not so much.
And now we get to connect the dots. Part of being second class means the second class person is censored. It was worse than that, but censoring was just one of the perks muslims get for treating others as second class.

And here you are OK with censorship since you are here defending them.

Not only that, but if you realized that Christ is not only our example now, but Christ in the OT is also an example how to live, you'd know that God instructed the Jews to treat people of different faiths fairly. I'd love to explain away all the exceptions you are about to mention, but I'm only going to preempt them with a wise saying that one should never trust a man that cannot discuss a topic in generalities - he's trying to cheat you. If you find a general rule that contradicts it, then I'll take more time and maybe I'll even learn something.

You seem to be okay with making things up for me to be okay about. How about you stick to relating your understanding if you can't do better than that? Else, supra.
supra

I don't really. I'd say that every right winger is a conservative, but not every conservative is a right winger.
Not at all. The right wing tends toward a set of beliefs. If one had to put it into a single line, it would be that right wingers believe in absolutes. Believing in absolutes generally tends to result in said set of beliefs. Conservatives simply want to conserve. Sometimes leftists want things to stay the same - they are then conservatives. Sometimes right wingers want things to change - they are not conservatives then.

Of course, if you want to say that right wingers want to conserve a particular time in history that offered freedom to all citizens (let's call that Eden), then you can technically say that all right wingers are conservatives. But the context of our discussion was where the KKK came from. In that case it was leftists who were trying to preserve slavery. That might make them conservatives, but they were still the same leftists then that believe the same relative morality that leftists believe today.

You're free to believe that, contrary to reason as it is, but there's no point in arguing the point with you given its seat. Most blacks are Democrats and they don't hate themselves or act against their own best interests. To believe as you do you'd have to believe not only that it's true but that blacks aren't smart enough to recognize it. Either way, you have real problems with your logic or your bias.
There is more than one reason to vote poorly other than stupidity. If one sees voting to sacrifice thriving in order to survive, that would be smart.

On FDR. He's like Wilson and many of his day, a pragmatic racist. That he was shrewd enough to do a good for the wrong reasons isn't surprising, given. Most people were, sadly, a lot like him, which is why it took well into the last century to secure rights and liberties for minorities which should have been accomplished by birth in this nation. We're a work in progress. Hopefully, over enough time, we'll continue to right wrongs that are woven into the fabric of our compact.
FDR hated non-whites not because he was a product of this time, but because he was a leftist. There were plenty of right wingers that were not racists long before FDR was in his time. These right wingers were the abolitionists, and later were the ones that thought imprisoning Japanese people - that extreme form of censorship - was wrong in principle. Don't make excuses for FDR's and Wilson's racist behavior. They were not a product of their times.

Yorzhik said:
And since leftist love murdering babies before they are born, they will love censorship, too.
There you go off the rails and the only response is that it's both a simplistic and mistaken position, but I don't for a moment think anything I can say to you will move you off of it, so I won't try.
It's a natural consequence of leftist thinking. If murder is OK, certainly shutting people up because one doesn't like what one is hearing need not be mentioned.

To deny it would be to leave reality.

Few candidates on the right have made abortion the centerpiece of their campaigns and if you think calling contrary speech UnAmerican is respectful I've got some swamp land in Arizona you just might be interested in.
The right wing has played the game of holding their nose and voting for someone that won't stop murder because they think it's the better of the two options. It doesn't work it turns out, but it isn't without logic, either.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A common problem ITT. :plain:

YouTube can cut whatever content it likes for whatever reason and it is not censorship.

The problem is when they capitalize on the promise of payments to draw contributors and then deny revenue to content creators; potentially fraud.
Amen. This is the heart of it. And it is the same with FB and Twitter.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Throughout history the Jews never proselytized by the sword.
No, but they took land by slaying enemies, man woman and child and without that opportunity.

The Muslims, OTOH, have open commands to murder unbelievers and apostates.
Either you or most of Islam doesn't understand something about Islam, because that's just not how it has worked under actual Islamic control outside of a sliver of rabid and largely rejected extremists. I'm going to bet against you on that.

You don't have to mention that muslims do most of the dieing when muslims are out killing.
That almost sounds reasonable, but then it really sounds like stepping over a point because it's not aligned with the picture you mean to paint. Again, Muslims are largely opposing the fanatics you seem determined to paint as the rule. But the opposition by Islam to them speaks against your efforts.

That doesn't prove your point. It only shows that muslims have an easier time getting to apostates than unbelievers.
A point utterly undone by the absence of those efforts within any of the nations opposing ISIS.

But you seem to be OK with the way muslims of which you speak here treated Jews and Christians. We'll return to that in a moment.
You can keep saying that but it only makes you look silly. Nothing in what I wrote says that about the historical treatment.

Sorry, but I'm going to continue to use hyperbole as a literary form.
Hyperbole to make your point is reasonable. To mischaracterize someone else's position is simply dishonest, past a point. If you find that rhetorically acceptable I can't stop you, but I'll be obliged to stop the conversation and point out that what you just said isn't an honest reflection of what I actually wrote. Seems a silly way to waste time you keep insisting you're short on, but that's people for you.

If you tell me Stalinist Russia was a good place, I'll respond by confirming your position with "sure, it was a workers paradise."
That would be an inaccurate stretch, but more than a great stone's throw from taking this:

"Islam once controlled a great deal of southern Europe and the Christians and Jews living there were not killed or converted."

And claiming I equated it with a "paradise". :plain:

The first is a questionable exaggeration. The second is distorted to the point of bearing no rational relationship. That or you have a grotesque definition of what constitutes a paradise.

And now we get to connect the dots. Part of being second class means the second class person is censored. It was worse than that, but censoring was just one of the perks muslims get for treating others as second class.
What particularly do you find in the difference between Christian and Muslim that most offends you? With me its the inherent contempt and the inequality before the law. Contrary to your best efforts, I'm not defending or complimenting the Moors. I'm simply noting that when they were in control of a great number of Jews and Christians they didn't convert them or kill them. That as with most Muslims most places over most of history, your representation of what Islam has to be and how it has to behave is contradicted by the actual. That was my only point in using this example as a rebuttal.

And here you are OK with censorship since you are here defending them.
Neither statement is true, but it's part of the problem with ungrounded rhetoric. At some point it will lead you into a position at odds with any factual support.

I'd love to explain away all the exceptions you are about to mention
Sorry, but that's like the guy who tells you his uncle can beat your uncle, but his uncle moved to Boise.

, but I'm only going to preempt them with a wise saying that one should never trust a man that cannot discuss a topic in generalities - he's trying to cheat you.
I'd say a man who only argues in generalities and will not grapple with the plain facts lacks faith in his principles in application.

I wrote: I don't really. I'd say that every right winger is a conservative, but not every conservative is a right winger.
Not at all. The right wing tends toward a set of beliefs. If one had to put it into a single line, it would be that right wingers believe in absolutes. Believing in absolutes generally tends to result in said set of beliefs. Conservatives simply want to conserve. Sometimes leftists want things to stay the same - they are then conservatives. Sometimes right wingers want things to change - they are not conservatives then.
See, to my mind you just decided to write your own dictionary. That's not the popular usage, so while I'm sure you can define a thing until it fits you it's no way to communicate between parties.

• a : an adherent or advocate of political conservatismb capitalized : a member or supporter of a conservative political party
  • 2a : one who adheres to traditional methods or viewsb : a cautious or discreet person
Now within the expression of conservative philosophy are a number of camps.

In expressing what is meant by the popular phrase Right Wing, Merriam sets out: "the part of a political group that consists of people who support conservative or traditional ideas and policies : the part of a political group that belongs to or supports the Right"

Or, conservative and Right Wing are largely interchangeable terms, though distinctions between moderate and right wing conservatives tend to be made relating to a hard line on application of their general principles.

Of course, if you want to say that right wingers want to conserve a particular time in history that offered freedom to all citizens (let's call that Eden), then you can technically say that all right wingers are conservatives. But the context of our discussion was where the KKK came from. In that case it was leftists who were trying to preserve slavery.
Conservatives resist progressive changes, side typically with institutions and in the preservation of prevailing traditions. The social order of the day was founded in slavery. The Klan rapidly became the face of preserving as much of that defeated institution and the social order it fed. Progressive notions defeated slavery, abolishing the status quo that had been affirmed by the last word in Constitutional interpretation, the S. Ct.

There is more than one reason to vote poorly other than stupidity. If one sees voting to sacrifice thriving in order to survive, that would be smart.
Then the alternative offered by the opposing side, conservatives, would have to be demonstrably worse or we're right back to stupidity. Either way you have a problem. But mostly you have a problem because you say Democrats hate blacks and that is rationally unsupportable for the reasons given prior.

FDR hated non-whites not because he was a product of this time, but because he was a leftist.
Rather, as with most men of his age, he was by our lights a racist. To ascribe racism to an intellectual foundation is a serious mistake. Racism isn't founded in reason or philosophy, though it can be upended by both.

It's a natural consequence of leftist thinking. If murder is OK, certainly shutting people up because one doesn't like what one is hearing need not be mentioned. .
Let's revisit a less sanitized version, what you actually wrote that I responded to strongly:

...since leftist love murdering babies before they are born, they will love censorship, too.

To deny it would be to leave reality

Rather, to embrace it is to embrace bias over rationality. From an unproven premise comes, without much surprise attaching, an errant conclusion. The fundamental error on the part of the majority of the left isn't founded in the love of killing babies. It's founded in the wrong headed belief that a woman's right to control of her reproduction and self is an absolute, where the rights and being of the unborn is at best tangential until such time as it can be said to exist independently of her. That's why even most of those who favor a woman's choice will balk at extending those rights until the moment of birth. Were the killing of infants the desire and root another reaction would be in evidence.

Last edited:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
See, to my mind you just decided to write your own dictionary. That's not the popular usage, so while I'm sure you can define a thing until it fits you it's no way to communicate between parties.
You're not justified in classifying people according to a dictionary definition of your choosing.

Especially when those definitions are incompatible with each other.

Conservatism and rightness are entirely separate ideas. Conservatives seek to conserve, right wingers are right.

To engage sensibly, you have to respect the labels people choose for themselves and how those labels are described by them.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using TOL mobile app

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You're not justified in classifying people according to a dictionary definition of your choosing.
If I'm using a dictionary definition it isn't my classification. And using a dictionary is completely justified when the point turns on definition.

Especially when those definitions are incompatible with each other.
Which you don't demonstrate.

To engage sensibly, you have to respect the labels people choose for themselves
You really don't. If the lady who calls Obama's wife a "gorilla" decides to tell the world she isn't a racist, no one has to respect that. Or if a seven foot man decides to describe himself as a midget we don't have to respect his definition.

and how those labels are described by them
No, as a fellow I often disagree with is fond of saying, "Words mean things."

ok doser

If the lady who calls Obama's wife a "gorilla" decides to tell the world she isn't a racist, no one has to respect that.

go·ril·la
ɡəˈrilə/
noun
informal
a heavily built, aggressive-looking human.

i don't see nuttin 'bout race in there :idunno:

but i wouldn't call her a gorilla

i've always referred to her, when the occasion arose, as a "moose" :banana: