YouTube censorship

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sure I can. I told you after the first time you mistook a context driven statement to Yor as a definition that it wasn't one.
No, you didn't.

And you kept repeating it, as you have here.
You defended my characterization, which is tacit acceptance that what I said accurately portrayed your words.

When a boss tells his employees not to use certain language, that is not censorship.

That's no longer a misstatement. It's a willful misstatement at best...at worst it's a childish "No, it will mean what I want it to mean so I can continue to object!"
Liberals love talking about who said what.

The simple fact is that you made a generalization that nobody has accepted as descriptive of reality.

Even in context, telling people not to use certain words is not censorship.

Now that's a funny bit in itself, because when I asked him to name a "western country" that had that large a Muslim population he couldn't do it. And in fact there are only two that would qualify, Bulgaria and Cyprus, two of the most peaceful countries on the planet.

Therefore, censorship. Or something. :idunno:

You're arguing about things seven times removed from what could be a useful, even interesting, conversation.

I only needed one of the three to rebut. Two out of three, as the song goes, ain't bad.
Or you could have just stayed on topic. :up:

There Stripe is simply not being honest. It wasn't a style guide. It was the proscription of using particular language within the department of energy.
:darwinsm:

It wasn't rain; it was coalesced water vapor falling from the sky.

That's not a suggestion. It's censorship, a suppression of particular usage, however you feel about the particular words, whether or not you agree with their exclusion.

Nope.

The employees are free to use whatever language they like.

What we need is to agree on a working definition of censorship, 'cos this ain't it.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using TOL mobile app

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The difference being that the Christian bible and the foremost Christian example, that of Christ, does not call for violence within Christian groups, or even against other innocent people. But both, Islam's holy books and their foremost example, call for violence against apostates and unbelievers even if they are innocent of any other "crime".
So this you have time for, but my point by point in rebuttal you can only give a partial on one part...okay, well first the OT is filled with a good many condoned and ordered acts of violence, but I agree with you that Christ was a game changer in fulfilling the law. And yet, the Church that followed the NT is the same church I noted warred and raged across Europe and felt justified in doing it. Those Protestants and Catholics had Bibles. And the apostate, in a religious Islamic state, is definitely going to run into OT strong responses.

It's only extremest compared to you.
No, it's extremist compared to the overwhelming majority of Muslims and how they conduct their business. That's why, for the who knows how many times now, it's Muslims doing most of the dying and fighting to put those extremists down.

It's not extremest to murder apostates/unbelievers according to its holy books or Mohammed, who is their greatest example of how to live.
Which again is why when Muslims controlled vast areas of the world and much closer to the days of their prophet the Christian and Jew lived among them and were not put to death for their difference. :plain:

I did quote you, "Islam once controlled a great deal of southern Europe and the Christians and Jews living there were not killed or converted." What you were trying to say was that Muslim rule in Iberia was peaceful and implied that Christians and Jews were free. Yet this wasn't true. The Christians and Jews were treated then like they are treated today in arab countries, which is to say shamefully.
What you did in misrepresenting me was to proffer a distorted "paradise" bit of nonsense that wasn't at all what I actually said. Misrepresenting me wastes time with my having to go back and correct you and I'm going to do that every single time. I didn't imply, I noted that people of other faiths weren't put to death for their difference. I only just did it again. You say that people of other faiths were treated "shamefully" but you don't say how or what that means, so it's a bit like most subjective judgments until you do.

The distinguished historian Bernard Lewis described the status of those outside of the Islamic faith, living in Spain during the reign of the Moors as having a second class citizenship. That is, they had rights (including the right to their faith) but not the same or as many as their conquerors. By comparison with the day it was generous, unheard of even. By our lights, not so much.

Sure, when muslims rule they treat Christians and Jews shamefully instead of killing them. If that's the case, since Christians and Jews were censored, you seem to be OK with that.
You seem to be okay with making things up for me to be okay about. How about you stick to relating your understanding if you can't do better than that? Else, supra.

You conflate "conservative" and "right wing". They aren't the same.
I don't really. I'd say that every right winger is a conservative, but not every conservative is a right winger.

The KKK was far from right wing, although you could say they wanted to conserve chattel slavery as a way of life.
What I said to you and have said about the KKK is that it began for one purpose but quickly became the thing that took shape and power later, a racist, fear driven society of sheet wearing thugs who used violence and intimidation to preserve the power structure and serve white interest in the South and other parts of the nation.

What I've noted about conservatism is that it is the champion of the status quo, the slow change where change must come and the wholesale advocate of tradition in nearly any form. That brings with it the good and the bad. Progressives have similar problems, but you wanted a more limited conversation so we're having that one.

They were democrats through and through, unchanged in general principle to this very day. Democrats hate blacks and treat them horribly because they consider them second class citizens (like the Moors in Iberia treated Christians and Jews).
You're free to believe that, contrary to reason as it is, but there's no point in arguing the point with you given its seat. Most blacks are Democrats and they don't hate themselves or act against their own best interests. To believe as you do you'd have to believe not only that it's true but that blacks aren't smart enough to recognize it. Either way, you have real problems with your logic or your bias.

On FDR. He's like Wilson and many of his day, a pragmatic racist. That he was shrewd enough to do a good for the wrong reasons isn't surprising, given. Most people were, sadly, a lot like him, which is why it took well into the last century to secure rights and liberties for minorities which should have been accomplished by birth in this nation. We're a work in progress. Hopefully, over enough time, we'll continue to right wrongs that are woven into the fabric of our compact.

Exactly. The repubs have to lend lip service, and actual legislation, to get elected by both pro-murder and anti-murder constituents. The dems have how many anti-murder leaders or elected officials? It has to be close to zero.
On abortion the only rational response is to recognize that you can usually vote for the liar who promises to change things and won't or the liar who sells murder as right. Not a particularly appealing set of choices on the issue.

And since leftist love murdering babies before they are born, they will love censorship, too.
There you go off the rails and the only response is that it's both a simplistic and mistaken position, but I don't for a moment think anything I can say to you will move you off of it, so I won't try.

No, the right will have respect for some principles, especially the ones on the hard right, so much that they lose elections because of it.
Rather, the right is who they are and the left is much the same. What changes is the public perception, usually related to the economy. Give us prosperity under Clinton and he walks into a second term. Give us struggle under the Bush Sr. and the great Reagan revolution is shown the door. The public ideology seems to be for sale when you consider it.

And if they are willing to lose elections because they are anti-murder, you can see how they will respect a person's speech even if they disagree with it.
Few candidates on the right have made abortion the centerpiece of their campaigns and if you think calling contrary speech UnAmerican is respectful I've got some swamp land in Arizona you just might be interested in.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
. . . the Church that followed the NT is the same church I noted warred and raged across Europe and felt justified in doing it. Those Protestants and Catholics had Bibles.
But . . . I think the point here is that with Islam, war and militarism began immediately, the first Muslims conquered cities and the next generations continued to conquer lands until there was a sizable Muslim empire ruled by force. With the Church you've got to jump centuries before you see any historical record of Christian militarism, the Catholic vs. Protestant issues you mention didn't begin until the 16th century, and before that, you have to wait until the crusades before there's any military skirmishes between Christians from different particular churches/dioceses. The coolness between the Western and Eastern Church that ultimately resulted in the Schism of 1054 began in the middle ages, but still, it was not bloody until the misguided and wrong crusades.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, you didn't.

You defended my characterization, which is tacit acceptance that what I said accurately portrayed your words.
You're bonkers.

When a boss tells his employees not to use certain language, that is not censorship.
You need a dictionary...and maybe medication.

Liberals love talking about who said what.
People like you (I won't say conservatives because I know too many who aren't like you) do things like that. Peculiar waste of time.

The simple fact is that you made a generalization that nobody has accepted as descriptive of reality.
The fact is I set out the literal definition and showed how my claim met it. Meanwhile, you keep tap dancing.

Really. That's not what it sounds like it was sent from. :plain:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You're bonkers.
Nope. A simple description of a straightforward conversation.

And I'm not a conservative.

People like you do things like that. Peculiar waste of time.

The fact is I set out the literal definition and showed how my claim met it.
Nope.

Meanwhile, you keep tap dancing; ignoring the call to sensible discourse.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
But . . . I think the point here is that with Islam, war and militarism began immediately, the first Muslims conquered cities and the next generations continued to conquer lands until there was a sizable Muslim empire ruled by force.
Like the way the Jews established their kingdom and the way any empire continued. The Romans did much the same, though as with the Greeks, Mongols, etc., the rule was to grow until you couldn't and then collapse under your own weight past a point and through internal division. And Christians simply weren't in a position to do that for a very long time. Then through Rome they found protection eventually with Constantine, but the church wasn't calling the shots just yet. If you want to see the root of the church in Constantine, it begins with his vision of a flaming cross before the battle of Milvian Bridge and the "in this sign conquer!" that he claimed accompanying it, having all of his soldiers adorn their war shields with the Christian cross.

And so it began, with blood and conflict Christianity and Rome began to fashion an alliance. But the Church didn't take military power for and of itself for some time, limiting the chances for the particular we're speaking of and to, even as its symbols and sanction were attached to conquest and would continue to be until the aforementioned secularization of the state overtook the wedding of religion and government. Eventually we had warrior Popes and the wars between Protestant and Catholic, but once power began to couple itself to the church the inevitable use of power went with it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nope. A simple description of a straightforward conversation.
That's a creative way to rename bonkers. But it was still just that.

And I'm not a conservative.
Well if you're a liberal you're horrible at it. :plain:

You also need a better command of the quote function. Those were mine.

Now that is unmistakably yours. :)

Meanwhile, you keep tap dancing; ignoring the call to sensible discourse.
That's a hybrid, the former an homage to your lack of creativity and the latter your own rebuttal to the notion.

So that's funny.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
See post #276 to see a delineation between western Europe and Bulgaria and therefore the discrepancy between the two in muslim peacefulness.
Thanks for the nod. Here's the response.

Bulgaria and Cyprus are alike more than either are alike with other western countries.
They meet your population of Muslims criteria in a Western country while remaining among the most peaceful countries in the world. That's a pretty clear rebuttal on the earlier. That said, continuing...

Also, the Muslim immigration into those two countries has been much more slower paced than the muslim immigration into France or Sweden or Germany. Therefore, Muslims are more assimilated in Cyprus and Bulgaria than they are Germany, France, or Sweden.
I think that's absolutely true. I also think when you have people who want to go to a new land and integrate into the social fabric you get a very different set of problems than you will when you get refugees simply fleeing for their lives, without connections or particular aspirations. The problem is that, not some inherent Islamic problem, as evidenced by the two western examples noted.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's a creative way to rename bonkers. But it was still just that.
Nope.

It's called a discussion. When you have one and find that the other guy doesn't accept your ideas, calling him stupid is utterly unconstructive.

Well if you're a liberal you're horrible at it.
Good thing I'm not a liberal either then, huh?

Did you think those were the only two options?

You also need a better command of the quote function.
I think I use it fine. :idunno:

Those were mine.
Sorry. This thread isn't about you.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nope.

It's called a discussion. When you have one and find that the other guy doesn't accept your ideas, calling him stupid is utterly unconstructive.

Good thing I'm not a liberal either then, huh?

Did you think those were the only two options?

I think I use it fine. :idunno:

Sorry. This thread isn't about you.

Irony so thick you could cut it with a knife.

ClimateSanity

They meet your population of Muslims criteria in a Western country while remaining among the most peaceful countries in the world. That's a pretty clear rebuttal on the earlier. That said, continuing...

A clear rebuttal of a semi formed idea that is not up to the microscopic chicanery of a lawyer. I know what the idea I'm trying to convey is and all you did was knock down a strawman because the fully refined point doesn't have all the bugs worked out yet.

As you helped me toward my final, finished product unwittingly, I will narrow my scope.

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

ClimateSanity

I think that's absolutely true. I also think when you have people who want to go to a new land and integrate into the social fabric you get a very different set of problems than you will when you get refugees simply fleeing for their lives, without connections or particular aspirations. The problem is that, not some inherent Islamic problem, as evidenced by the two western examples noted.
These refugees are not simply fleeing for their lives, else you would see other people besides young men. Also, if they were simply fleeing for their lives, they would migrate to Turkey or some other Islamic nation where they feel more at home.

Your two western examples do not absolve any muslim problem. Treat Vietnamese the same way in sweden and Germany and France and you will not have anywhere near the same problems.

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
These refugees are not simply fleeing for their lives, else you would see other people besides young men.
Cite to any authority that the refugees fleeing into Europe entirely or even mostly young men.

I'll wait while that doesn't happen.

Also, if they were simply fleeing for their lives, they would migrate to Turkey or some other Islamic nation where they feel more at home.
No, because every nation has its own refugee policy and limitations. They're going to any number of nations, including ours. Whoever will have them.

Your two western examples do not absolve any muslim problem.
There isn't a Muslim problem, only a refugee problem. The two countries that defy your attempt make that plain enough.

A clear rebuttal of a semi formed idea that is not up to the microscopic chicanery of a lawyer.
It's a rebuttal of the point you made. How long are people supposed to wait until they know you've written something you actually stand behind?

I know what the idea I'm trying to convey is and all you did was knock down a strawman because the fully refined point doesn't have all the bugs worked out yet.
It was literally your point. Is this another, "How dare you answer the thing I posted before I had the chance to think about it!" foot stamps?

As you helped me toward my final, finished product unwittingly, I will narrow my scope.
:chuckle: If you get any narrower you're going to disappear. And "scope" isn't how you spell escape.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
. . . Christians simply weren't in a position to do that for a very long time.
The first Muslims numbered in the dozens and they went on to attract enough followers within the Prophet's (SAW) lifetime, that he led them to successfully conquer Mecca with military might. There were three thousand Christians on day one of the Church, all gathered together; sure they were in a position to act militarily, moreso than the Prophet (PBUH) was with his dozens. St. Peter could have marched on Jerusalem in no time, and the Prophet (PBUH&HH) in the same position, it can be argued, would have.
. . . Constantine
Almost three centuries after her birth in AD 33, yes, "Constantine." Some Protestants see "Constantine" as some sort of a milestone in Church history, it is so. Islam took closer to three years to become fully militarized.
. . .calling the shots
Around the same time that the Church could be construed to be "calling the shots," kings were choosing men for the college of bishops, so the political incest was going in both directions.
And so it began
Multiple-to-many centuries after the Church's nascence, not single digit years after like with Islam.
. . . secularization of the state
Of which the Catholic Church is very much in favor, as she teaches about the separation between Church and state, and emphasizes the freedom of religion.
. . . warrior Popes
The Catholic Church admits that popes have no particular gift when in a position to rule civilly, as opposed to ecclesiastically.
. . . the wars between Protestant and Catholic
The primary cause of which being the currently still open hemorrhage between Protestant and Catholic, a type of which only first appearing in the Church in the middle ages, which is ages after her birth on Pentecost in AD 33.
. . . once power began to couple itself to the church the inevitable use of power went with it.
And abuse. It's important to point out the distinction between that Catholic Church's teaching on the specifications that govern her relationship with the civil authorities of all countries and municipalities; separation, and religious liberty; and other Protestant and Orthodox ecclesial communities.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The first Muslims numbered in the dozens and they went on to attract enough followers within the Prophet's (SAW) lifetime, that he led them to successfully conquer Mecca with military might. There were three thousand Christians on day one of the Church, all gathered together; sure they were in a position to act militarily, moreso than the Prophet (PBUH) was with his dozens. St. Peter could have marched on Jerusalem in no time, and the Prophet (PBUH&HH) in the same position, it can be argued, would have.
To be crushed by Rome? I don't think that was in the cards. That said, I'm not suggesting that Islam wasn't more charged from the gate to be aggressive. It took a little distance between the founder and empowerment for Christendom to forget the lesson and to justify expansion and violence. But once we got going it was a duck to water.

Almost three centuries after her birth in AD 33, yes, "Constantine." Some Protestants see "Constantine" as some sort of a milestone in Church history, it is so. Islam took closer to three years to become fully militarized.
I completely agree that they were better at it faster. But you have to admit that we took the Master Class track to world domination using the sword.

Around the same time that the Church could be construed to be "calling the shots," kings were choosing men for the college of bishops, so the political incest was going in both directions.
A real muddle to be sure.

Multiple-to-many centuries after the Church's nascence, not single digit years after like with Islam.
Supra, or is it more important who gets off the blocks in a hurry or who wins the race? Because by any reasonable metric we hit the line waaaay out in front.

Of which the Catholic Church is very much in favor, as she teaches about the separation between Church and state, and emphasizes the freedom of religion.
Which she didn't really do until her teeth were long pulled. But it's an enlightened position to take, however arrived at.

The primary cause of which being the currently still open hemorrhage between Protestant and Catholic, a type of which only first appearing in the Church in the middle ages, which is ages after her birth on Pentecost in AD 33.
The point being that once empowered and given a significant division of the faithful what followed left a bloody trail through history.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
But you have to admit that we took the Master Class track to world domination using the sword.

:think:

islamic states, circa 1700:

islamic_states_1700_lg.jpg

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
To be crushed by Rome? I don't think that was in the cards.
You think the odds were in the Muslims' favor? They were underdogs too.
That said, I'm not suggesting that Islam wasn't more charged from the gate to be aggressive.
Good. :)
It took a little distance between the founder and empowerment for Christendom to forget the lesson and to justify expansion and violence.
You're exaggerating. The crusades began after 1100.
But once we got going it was a duck to water.
People. What are you going to do? ;)
I completely agree that they were better at it faster. But you have to admit that we took the Master Class track to world domination using the sword.
Rather, I think the Church was the master at winning over hearts and minds, which is all the power she could have reasonably said to have had until Constantine.
A real muddle to be sure.
It really was, and understanding that, helps us to understand how history unfolded afterward.
Supra, or is it more important who gets off the blocks in a hurry or who wins the race?
It is, as evidenced by some of the posters on this thread, it's important because it's important to a lot of people. Islam began militaristic, and the Church cannot be said to have become in any way militaristic until the crusades, which were over 1000 years later. There were divisions before then, but it wasn't until them, that the Church began raising any kind of sword and shedding any appreciable blood, and especially not between Christians.
Because by any reasonable metric we hit the line waaaay out in front.
Based upon the 1000+ years before the crusades occurred, and the handful of years before Mecca was conquered, I've got to maintain my disagreement with you here.
Which she didn't really do until her teeth were long pulled. But it's an enlightened position to take, however arrived at.
And it aligns to my mind with her beginnings, and with the teaching of the Lord, FWIW.
The point being that once empowered and given a significant division of the faithful what followed left a bloody trail through history.
Because people are people, whether Christian or not. Nobody is above suspicion, just based upon their religion. :up:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hey!!!!! Bulgaria was a former Islamic state.
So was Spain. :plain: And we were once subjects of the Crown.

And town wants to put them on the same level as France, Germany, and Sweden as far as recent incursions into WESTERN Nations??????
Recent incursions? Are you just desperately trying to get them out of the mix so you can keep your bias in play?

Can you spell dishonest?
I got Bulgaria from a list of Western nations. Its a member of the EU, as is Cyprus. Link