ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
[FONT="Georgia"]There are more than [I]50,000[/I] non-Catholic denominations and sects in existence today, and every member of every one of those sects claims---[I]just as loudly and confidently as you are here[/I]---that he "believes what is plainly written." What makes all of those [I][U]other[/U][/I] interpretations which differ from yours any less authoritative than your own? Why should [B][I]your[/I][/B] interpretations be followed over anyone [B][I]else's[/I][/B] in Protestantism? :think:[I]Gaudium de veritate[/I],Cruciform+T+[/FONT]
Evolutionists love talking about how many people believe something as if it had a bearing on the veracity of what is being said.

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
so what is an evangelical protestant?

Someone who believes in Sola Scriptura and the literal interpretation of the bible, apart from the literal interpretation of John 6 amongst many others :)?
Someone who forsakes the first 3 Century's teaching of the early Christain Fathers and Church tradition?
Someone who follows unbiblical ideas such as 'alter calls', 'accept Jesus into your heart as your personal saviour', Sunday school etc etc etc?
Someone who refuses to follow the true Church of Christ?

How am I doing for starters?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Someone who believes in Sola Scriptura and the literal interpretation of the bible, apart from the literal interpretation of John 6 amongst many others :)?
Someone who forsakes the first 3 Century's teaching of the early Christain Fathers and Church tradition?
Someone who follows unbiblical ideas such as 'alter calls', 'accept Jesus into your heart as your personal saviour', Sunday school etc etc etc?

Poorly.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

do they go to church on sunday?
and
if so, where?

GuySmiley

Neither has mine.

In any event, I would point out that nothing you have said here in any way alters---much less refutes---the points made in Post #656 above. Your transparent Red Herring, however, is noted.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
Yes, very impressive link.

How many splinter groups and denominations does it take until it starts being NOT PERFECTED IN UNITY? Is it 2,000, 10,000, 20,000 or 33,000? How many is more than one! THAT is the point!
Oh, ok, more than one splinter group means failure.

Yes, there are a number of schismatic Catholic groups and Eastern Orthodox that have broke with Rome. That is a tragedy too!
Say it isn't so!!

No matter how you slice the pie, whether Christendom is divided up into 2,000, 10,000, 20,000 or 33,000 different groups or denominations—any such number is staggering. Whether it is Catholic or Orthodox schisms or Protestant denominationalist metastasis (cancer), it is a repulsive violation of Jesus’ words and prayer. But even if it were fraction of the number we Catholic apologists rail against—that would still be a scandal in light of Jesus’ prayer in John 17 and Paul’s condemnation of denominations and factions
Scandalous!

1) Orthodox broke with Rome around 1000 AD. They are a schism and in 2000 AD made up 764 of this number.

2) Roman Catholics make up 242 of this number but they are almost all in union with Rome just with names like Melkite, Maronite, etc.
Holy cow! 242 is way more than one! Why do these groups qualify as different denominations if they all agree with Rome? Dishonesty is dripping from this link you provided. The author glosses over this after saying more than one denomination is a tragedy. That's an incredible double standard.

By your link's logic, Catholics have at least 1,006 denominations, and since you clearly like to use the extrapolated figure of 50,000 for protestants, its fair to say Catholics now have 1,500. Your link says more than one is a tragedy.

In the future when you quote this figure, we can just reply, "Already addressed here."

GuySmiley

Well some go on Saturdays, some Sundays...any of 50, 000 different denominations each of which thinks they have intrepreted correctly will do.
What time in GMT do Catholics go to mass? Do any of the 1,500 catholic denominations have mass on Saturday?

GuySmiley

we all have mass on saturday
monday
tuesday
wednesday
thursday
friday
Cool, you need to educate Rich that it's ok. He seems to think that's a legitimate criticism of protestants. Do any of the 1,500 catholic denominations think its wrong?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Cool, you need to educate Rich that it's ok. He seems to think that's a legitimate criticism of protestants. Do any of the 1,500 catholic denominations think its wrong?

no
you don't have to go on saturday
you can still go on sunday which is what I prefer

RichRock

BANNED
Banned
no
you don't have to go on saturday
you can still go on sunday which is what I prefer

I know. I was trying to point out that protestants argue amongst themselves which is the Holy day to the extent they think the other protestant denominations are wrong...such as the 7th day adventists for example.

God's Truth

If you would be so kind as to send me the radio frequency that you are listening to Jesus broadcasting on? I will then add it to 50,000 + (1,600 large radio organization's in the US alone) protestant sects and their frequencys, plus each individual member of those sects frequencys. Which btw, are ALL broadcasting a different message at any one time on any one particular point in scripture.

I reckon that I will need a billion or so radio's as you say, to: 'Listen to Jesus', 1.5 billion at most to be sure, to be sure.

My biggest fear is that when I finally have them all set up and ignite the BIG switch on..., the only message I will hear from all of those who say that they too are 'Listening to Jesus' will be a cathastropic earth shattering noise full of garbage which will cause me to keel over and at the very best go completely deaf. Thereafter, I will remain maimed and broken, absolutely and positively unable to listen to Jesus on this earth forever more. (That is aside from the unrealistic trillions in monatary costs, time which I don't have -a couple of hundred years plus?-,a neuclear energy plant needed to run 1- 1.5 billion radio's, not forgetting the logistics in setting up this massive project you seem to be suggesting for me to 'Listen to Jesus').

Mmm... What to do?

:think: :think: :think:

Ok!

Thanks all the same but don't bother sending me your own particular 'Listen to Jesus' radio frequency.... I think I will stick with my own trusty! tried! original! traditional! broadcaster. Though very old the signal and the message is still realible as ever and it doesn't numb my brain and blow my ears off! It hasnt changed neither, on earth nor in Heaven as the Proprietor has guaranteed!

Anyone with even a modicum of sense knows that for Christian's in the True Church there is absolutely no need to listen to over a billion radio's blaring out contradictory messages to 'Listen to Jesus' One and only Truth. That's just plain as the nose on your face.... Ridiculous!*

God Bless!

Ps: TV and Internet? Don't even go there!

Get any Bible translation you want to use, then look up Jesus’ teachings and do them. Never give up waiting on the Lord. Then you will have searched for him with all your heart, mind, and soul.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

With this demonstration of poor knowledge it is no wonder you are and have never been a Protestant.

One day you may actually study the resources I have provided in this thread and come to a better grasp of the matters at hand.

AMR