Why do you remain a blue subscriber?

Ted L Glines

AMR, for the record, I'll hazard a guess, if we could poll the membership, we would find some members who cannot afford to subscribe to anything, and maybe are currently skating on thin ice when it comes to food, clothing, housing, transportation, medical, and employment. I have neighbors who are in that boat. Like you, I saw the value in TOL and subscribed almost immediately -- because I can, and because I wanted to. Not everybody can do this.

Breathe

The TOL-A-THON has me thinking of late as to why those that have made over 500 posts here remain non-subscribers. You would be one whose userID is shown in blue typeface.

I think I am qualified to ask the question, as I have subscribed here since day one, and Lord knows, I have the infractions and bannings to prove that my opinions are not necessarily those of the management or popular culture here. Sigh.

I realize the rules allow non-subscribers. But I am wondering what your underlying motivations are for not subscribing, even at the lowest level, the green level, of $3/month or $30/year?

In other words, what would have to happen at TOL that would incentivize you to subscribe?

For the record, I am posting this on my own accord, and not as a shill for TOL's management. No one asked me to do this, and no doubt, some of those that respect my posted positions will be taken aback. In fact, management may very well ban me for even making such a post and I will accept their ruling, as I have several times in the past. ;(

It just seems to me that a site that obviously costs money to maintain, and one that explicitly offers the owners a means of recuperating costs via subscriptions, should expect to understand why a frequent poster, someone I define to be one with over 500 posts, remains a non-subscriber. This is the thread wherein you can lay it all on the line and be heard.

I don't think that reasons along the lines of "well, TOL's views are different from mine" hold much merit. Clearly, my own views are at odds with many herein. For me, the value received, versus the value extended, is the only factor in a monetary decision. If you have spent the time to make over 500 posts here you have obviously formulated a value proposition, and it begs the question of the opening post of this thread: Why do you remain a blue subscriber?

For more:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2420932#post2420932

Thoughts?

AMR
I don't believe in paying to post on internet forums. There are too many free forums out there with good content. I don't need all the bells and whistles that come with a paid membership. The reason I am here is to learn and to share my opinion with others. For that, the ability to post and read are all that is needful. If payment ever becomes necessary to do those two things, I will take my ball and go play elsewhere. :)

LOL - just noticed that I already answered this.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Love gives.........

Love gives.........

One of the best reasons to subscribe to this sight is because you enjoy it and want it to continue to exist.

:) :thumb:

I'm on a limited budget and can certainly afford a mere $3 a mo., to enjoy the benefits that come with being a 'subscriber' here,....why deprive yourself ? - it benefits all parties involved. Its a matter of choice, principle and value-appreciation.

I recommend subscribing at the time of the TOL-a-thon, that way your annual 'subscription' renewal fee gets counted towards the fund-drive total (I just manually renew my subsubsciption at that time to make sure it gets 'counted').

One Love,

pj

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Basically the cost of a Happy Meal per month to enjoy the added benefits and financially support the site. Despite having written the opening post nearly seven years ago, I do not think my opinion has changed. An active person with over 500 posts and is not subscribing seems a contradiction to me, extreme financial hardships excepted.

AMR

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Basically the cost of a Happy Meal per month to enjoy the added benefits and financially support the site. Despite having written the opening post nearly seven years ago, I do not think my opinion has changed. An active person with over 500 posts and is not subscribing seems a contradiction to me, extreme financial hardships excepted.

AMR

:mock: AMR still eats Happy Meals

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

AMR
But with a happy meal you get a Taiwanese toy...here you just get to toy with someone who lives in Taiwan. :plain: Okay, point taken.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I believe I've run across AMR's youtube channel:

and I used to be a school bus driver - trained, educated, certified and licensed by the state, I was a professional school bus driver

but I don't identify as a school bus driver any more

and I wouldn't get bent out of shape if somebody questioned whether or not I was :idunno:

Town is in rare comedic form

rare in that he's finally posted something that has comedic value?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I used to be a school bus driver - trained, educated, certified and licensed by the state, I was a professional school bus driver

Did you take honors at the bus driving school? Is there a title that goes with that, something for people to note you by other than, "Hey you, bus driving guy"? :think:

and I wouldn't get bent out of shape if somebody questioned whether or not I was
Which is saying something when you consider all the work and training and years it takes to become a licensed bus...well, no. :plain: