Why do you remain a blue subscriber?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I think the best argument is simply that if you find enough value here to be a consistent poster and reader it's reasonable to help support the platform. Simple, clean appeal to self-interest. :cheers:

I do not want to support the platform of TOL. My contributions are made to contrast the TOL platform of rude truth-smacking, with an intense biblical witness to Truth and the saving grace of God.

And in my case, it has not proven to be self-serving at all, for I am despised because of my efforts.

Self-serving motives are not honorable to begin with, IMO.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I do not want to support the platform of TOL.
That's certainly your right.

My contributions are made to contrast the TOL platform of rude truth-smacking, with an intense biblical witness to Truth and the saving grace of God.
I imagine most people are attempting to advance the truth they understand. And certainly TOL is here for you to bear whatever witness you think is appropriate.

And in my case, it has not proven to be self-serving at all, for I am despised because of my efforts.

Self-serving motives are not honorable to begin with, IMO.
I don't agree, since what anyone does serves their own interest if they value the act. And I think we can put so much stock in the consideration that it becomes a proud thing if we aren't careful. At any rate, everyone has to make their own call on the point. For me it isn't about agreeing with anyone, but about what I get out of the place. So when I can, I contribute. I'm not going to try to argue anyone out of their standard of approach, only offering another consideration.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What, are Germans staying home these days? :think:

Give me a minute. I'm considering the list...tbc...

I don't see how calling in sick for extra holiday time is a traveling issue. I'd eliminate that one. Same goes for planning a vacation while at work. That may irk the boss but it doesn't have anything to do with being poorly behaved as a traveler.

So we're more likely to skip out on a bill (though the overwhelming majority don't) and to steal toiletries. Not good, but not awful.

Peeing in the pool would be alarming except for the "or ocean" part. Whose doing most of the pool peeing, that's what I want to know before I hit the diving board.

The Germans won the worst title back when the standards were like, most likely to conquer the country you're visiting, worst karaoke performance and impromptu guest night stand up were on the thing.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I imagine most people are attempting to advance the truth they understand. And certainly TOL is here for you to bear whatever witness you think is appropriate.

Is TOL a Comparative Religions Course or a Theological website?

Which is more important? Making and treating various religious views as a competitive sport, or studying and witnessing to the scriptural definition of "God?"

I choose the latter, and resent being told I should be ashamed or ostracized for not supporting the former.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I think it was a bit silly too. Then, I think this thread has many silly responses. It is not clear what 'taking toiletries' means? Some are included, the towels are not toiletries? It would make more sense if Americans were the most belligerent. I agree on the pool issue, very rude and childish.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I think it was a bit silly too. Then, I think this thread has many silly responses. It is not clear what 'taking toiletries' means? Some are included, the towels are not toiletries?

Exactly my point . . there are NO TOL amenities afforded to those of my faith, so why pay?

And I refuse to travel in steerage . . .

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Is TOL a Comparative Religions Course or a Theological website?
I don't think it's really either, though it has a foundation in the profession of faith. If it was only one or the other it wouldn't have a politics section or And the Rest, for discourse on everything from movies to sports.

Within the religious section is an exclusively Christian section, a part not granted any other particular faith and an approach to the faith is mandated.

Which is more important? Making and treating various religious views as a competitive sport, or studying and witnessing to the scriptural definition of "God?"
If people with different perspectives weren't allowed you wouldn't be. How important is your ability to witness among people you believe to be in error?

I choose the latter, and resent being told I should be ashamed or ostracized for not supporting the former.
I'm not telling you that and, in any event, the point is larger than you or the next fellow, particularly, isn't it?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think it was a bit silly too. Then, I think this thread has many silly responses. It is not clear what 'taking toiletries' means? Some are included, the towels are not toiletries? It would make more sense if Americans were the most belligerent. I agree on the pool issue, very rude and childish.
I still want to know how many were thinking "Oh, the ocean, sure" and how many were thinking, "The pool? Yeah, since I found out there isn't a chemical that will rat me out."

If they went with pool and those numbers held it would be awful. Ocean? Fish do worse in it all day long. :shocked:

theophilus

Jude 17 But you, beloved, ought to remember the words that were spoken beforehand by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ, 18 that they were saying to you, “In the last time there will be mockers, following after their own ungodly lusts.” 19 These are the ones who cause divisions, worldly-minded, devoid of the Spirit. 20 But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life. 22 And have mercy on some, who are doubting; 23 save others, snatching them out of the fire; and on some have mercy with fear, hating even the garment polluted by the flesh.

I pay to do this.

:)

theophilus

Preaching to the choir:

The twelve apostles included "Simon the Zealot" (Matt. 10:4).

Even people of vastly different backgrounds can minister together for Christ.

During the time between the Old and New Testaments, a fiery revolutionary named Judas Maccabaeus led the Jewish people in a revolt against Greek influences on their nation and religion. The spirit of that movement was captured in this statement from the apocryphal book of 1 Maccabees: "Be ye zealous for the law and give your lives for the covenant" (1 Maccabees 2:50). That group of politically-oriented, self-appointed guardians of Judaism later became known as the Zealots.

During the New Testament period, Zealots conducted terrorist activities against Rome in an effort to free Israel from Roman oppression. Their activities finally prompted Rome to destroy Jerusalem in A.D. 70 and slaughter people in 985 Galilean towns.

After the destruction of Jerusalem, the few remaining Zealots banded together under the leadership of a man named Eleazar. Their headquarters was at a retreat called Masada. When the Romans laid seige to Masada and the Zealots knew defeat was imminent, they chose to kill their own families and commit suicide themselves rather than face death at the hands of the Romans. It was a tragedy of monumental proportions, but such was the depth of their fiery zeal for Judaism and their hatred for their political enemies.

Before coming to Christ, Simon was a Zealot. Even as a believer, he must have retained much of his zeal, redirecting it in a godly direction. We can only imagine the passion with which he approached the ministry, having finally found a leader and cause that transcended anything Judaism and political activism could ever offer.

It's amazing to realize that Simon the Zealot and Matthew the tax-gatherer ministered together. Under normal circumstances Simon would have killed a traitor like Matthew. But Christ broke through their differences, taught them to love each other, and used them for His glory.

Perhaps you know believers who come from totally different backgrounds than yours. Do you have trouble getting along with any of them? If so, why? How can you begin to mend your differences? Be encouraged by the transformation Christ worked in Simon and Matthew, and follow their example.

Source http://www.gty.org/resources/devoti...dium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=gtydrawingnear