Why do you remain a blue subscriber?

Samstarrett

Chat room issues notwithstanding, of course. ;)

Right.

You also miss out on the schadenfruede of the Woodshed forum where all disciplinary actions are given the light of day.

AMR

Ah, now that would be interesting. They ought to show that in the list of forums even if they don't let us blue folks in. Then at least we'd know we were missing out on something; I didn't even know about that place.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Right.

Ah, now that would be interesting. They ought to show that in the list of forums even if they don't let us blue folks in. Then at least we'd know we were missing out on something; I didn't even know about that place.

Does that even keep google-searching out of the woodshed, too?

Krsto

There are a lot of $30 expenditures I have to ask myself if I can really afford it or do I really need it. Yeah, TOL has been fun and even a ministry but if it goes away because I didn't contribute then I'll probably save myself a lot of time with which I might be able to be more productive.

My other answer is I rarely give when I don't know much about where the money is coming from and where it is going. I don't know that the advertising doesn't pay the bills here.

And why SHOULD a person give if over X number of posts? I could just as easily say you SHOULD give $1000/year when you hit the big 5K post mark. From whence cometh this arbitrary obligation Mr. AMR?

Lon

I've done the $3 a month on occassion. Same reason: tight funds, but I like to activate when I can ($3 isn't much If I don't have to drive anywhere on the otherwise gallon of gas).

As far as $ going anywhere than purchasing bandwidth? I'd imagine that's not happening. I could almost guarantee funds are still needed out-of-pocket.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And why SHOULD a person give if over X number of posts? I could just as easily say you SHOULD give $1000/year when you hit the big 5K post mark. From whence cometh this arbitrary obligation Mr. AMR?
Imaginary examples are irrelevant. The fee structure requires no $1000 contribution, so I prefer to stick to what is defined rather than flights of fancy.

Nothing arbitrary is being implied. I ask "Why?" from the simple argument of good manners. You show up at my party and stay for an extended time, I doubt, if you were properly raised, you would balk at being asked to make a run to the 7/11 and pick up some party favors, no? It's my view and as I have said, not the view of the site's owners.

AMR

Lovejoy

No one will ever convince me to subscribe to this site! Hey, what the heck is wrong with my username, it's never been that color before...

Krsto

Imaginary examples are irrelevant. The fee structure requires no $1000 contribution, so I prefer to stick to what is defined rather than flights of fancy.

Nothing arbitrary is being implied. I ask "Why?" from the simple argument of good manners. You show up at my party and stay for an extended time, I doubt, if you were properly raised, you would balk at being asked to make a run to the 7/11 and pick up some party favors, no? It's my view and as I have said, not the view of the site's owners.

AMR

"Imaginary examples are irrelevant" yet you provide an imaginary example :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
There are a lot of $30 expenditures I have to ask myself if I can really afford it or do I really need it. Yeah, TOL has been fun and even a ministry but if it goes away because I didn't contribute then I'll probably save myself a lot of time with which I might be able to be more productive.

My other answer is I rarely give when I don't know much about where the money is coming from and where it is going. I don't know that the advertising doesn't pay the bills here.

I think the point was that if you're a regular participant and deriving enjoyment from the place the honorable thing to do, if you can afford to, is to contribute to the upkeep. If it isn't in your budget then all you can do is contribute to the entertainment value. That happens to be the case for a number of regulars, more than a few of whom are cash strapped. I scrape up what I can and look forward to the day when I can do more, because I've witnessed more than a couple of souls delivered in my still relatively brief time here and because I enjoy having the place to meet and tweak the noses of a number of people I've grown rather fond of, differences notwithstanding.

To each his own according to his understanding. :e4e:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One of the best reasons to subscribe to this sight is because you enjoy it and want it to continue to exist.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The reason I have not subscribed (and I was strongly considering it) Is primarily due to the situation that happened with The Barbarian. It looked very much to me like he was banned simply for disagreeing too directly and strongly with the moderators.

If it helps to know, that was in part a misunderstanding, for which I have no resentments. The moderation has, in my estimation, become more moderate over time.

And I know I'm often too blunt. That's a burden for me, as well as for those who disagree with me. I suppose I'll have to subscribe now...

Breathe

I don't believe in paying to contribute to any Internet forum - there are too many out there that are free. It's the principle of the thing. :D

Gurucam

The TOL-A-THON has me thinking of late as to why those that have made over 500 posts here remain non-subscribers. You would be one whose userID is shown in blue typeface.

I think I am qualified to ask the question, as I have subscribed here since day one, and Lord knows, I have the infractions and bannings to prove that my opinions are not necessarily those of the management or popular culture here. Sigh.

I realize the rules allow non-subscribers. But I am wondering what your underlying motivations are for not subscribing, even at the lowest level, the green level, of $3/month or $30/year?

In other words, what would have to happen at TOL that would incentivize you to subscribe?

For the record, I am posting this on my own accord, and not as a shill for TOL's management. No one asked me to do this, and no doubt, some of those that respect my posted positions will be taken aback. In fact, management may very well ban me for even making such a post and I will accept their ruling, as I have several times in the past. ;(

It just seems to me that a site that obviously costs money to maintain, and one that explicitly offers the owners a means of recuperating costs via subscriptions, should expect to understand why a frequent poster, someone I define to be one with over 500 posts, remains a non-subscriber. This is the thread wherein you can lay it all on the line and be heard.

I don't think that reasons along the lines of "well, TOL's views are different from mine" hold much merit. Clearly, my own views are at odds with many herein. For me, the value received, versus the value extended, is the only factor in a monetary decision. If you have spent the time to make over 500 posts here you have obviously formulated a value proposition, and it begs the question of the opening post of this thread: Why do you remain a blue subscriber?

Thoughts?

AMR

Not everyone is given, by God, to be the same.

With respect the Christians, even the form that one's contribution and/or charity takes must conform to grace of God (i.e. must conform to precisely what the Spirit has in mind for one as discerned in real time, all the time privately from within one's own heart or spirit. One in Christ must give in accordance with his (or her) gift of the Spirit under unconditional obedience to the Spirit.

Therefore not everyone is given by God to contribute financially. One is required to make contributions to the flow of the creation in accordance with the will of God. This can be achieved only when one delivers according to one's gift of the Spirit under direct guidance of the Spirit as discerned within one's own heart or spirit.

Some are given by the Spirit to make money. Their 'God righteous' contributions and/or 'God righteous' charity, under grace of God, must be and is generally monetary.

Others are God gifted to know about healing, The 'God righteous' contributions and/or 'God righteous' charity, of such people are given by God to be their healing gift.

Your request is founded on an intellectual idea, as reiterated in your op. Your idea seeks to justify the idea that every one should contribute financially to the upkeep of this forum, if they use it to post more than a certain number of posts. Christians would be well advise to ignore this suggestion and instead be led by the Spirit and so leave thing up to grace of God.

Note that Jesus, who was in Christ, was led by the Spirit, as discerned from his own heart, to go to Jerusalem to face torture, persecution and crucifixion. Jesus shared this information with Peter and immediately Peter sough to protect Jesus by making a suggestion which arose out of his (Peters) own intellectualizing. Peter said do not go there, Master, by-pass there.

This idea, which came from Peter's intellectualizing or thinking through his own physical brain, required Jesus to abandon what the Spirit had in mind for Him as discerned from within His own Spirit.

This act by Peter resulted in Jesus calling him Satan.

Christians differs in no way from Jesus Christ, they must all be led into all their works and decisions, unconditionally by precisely what Spirit has in mind for them to pray for, say and do as discerned in real time every time from within their own individual hearts or spirits.

Here when you suggest to Christians to embrace your idea instead of being led into their decision by the Spirit you are just like the erring Satanic Peter. You have missed the essential point and basis of Christianity. Although, you may be firmly rooted in Moses-ism whiles misguidedly believing that you are on Christian grounds.

Fact is to be Satan is not as bad as it made out to be. Based on how and why Jesus was led to call Peter Satan, it is clear that:

Satan is any human who chooses to be led by their own intellectualized ideas as thought out through their own physical brain, instead of being led unconditionally by precisely what the Spirit has in mind for him or her as discerned intuitively from the Spirit from within his own heart.

Satan is also any human (whether spiritually dead or not) who seeks to derail another person from being led unconditionally by precisely what the Spirit has in mind for that person as discerned intuitively from the Spirit from within his or her own heart.

Satan is also any one who suggest to a person, an intellectually derived alternative to being led unconditionally by precisely what the Spirit has in mind for him as discerned intuitively from the Spirit from within his own heart.

This is what you are doing here. This is what Peter did to earn him a Satanic identity.

If my delivery here is not supported by clear N.T. revelations, please let me know and show me how come.

Last edited:

El DLo

It's not a matter of perks for me. I'd love to support the site, but as a 19 year old full time employee that's looking to move out of my parent's house, an additional reoccurring expense is something that I can't subject myself to at the time.

Quincy

I don't use the site enough anymore. I've barely posted in over a year, and when I have used it a lot I was a subscriber though. Charity isn't my thing ;) , if ever I get the time and desire to post often I will subscribe again.

Man of my word. Though bad weather has delayed me, I actually have a business trip to do later in the week so I won't post much for a week or so but I'll be back. For what that's worth :plain: