Where Is Prince Now?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Wow. Freelight sure loved that Prince guy. He sure is offended that Christians don't like him and think he was lewd and immoral....

I have no idea where the guy is. I do know that a lot of his material, and that specifically lauded by Freelight, Purex, and others in threads about the man, is inappropriate Mature content and not something that should be discussed on TOL as nothing but'admiration' . Some things are about discernment which a few on TOL lack.

Good post Lon.

SonOfCaleb

We MUST not forget, the JWs are a religious cult, they are in no way part of true Christianity.

You obviously don't know what the definition of a cult is and neither are you au fait with what true Christianity is. You can keep on repeating your false claim but that's not going to make it any truer than the last umpteen times you've said it.

WeberHome

Ecclesiates 9:5 " For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all"

Wise King Solomon wrote this under inspiration over 3000 years ago. If you believe the word of God the Bible to be true as do the Witnesses how can they be wrong when it says clearly in Gods word the "dead are concious of nothing".

Back in 2008 a financial crisis called the "housing bubble" collapsed and quite a few people lost their homes, and a whole lot more lost their jobs and their retirement packages.

There's a sneaky bubble in the Bible that I've labeled the "Ecclesiastes bubble". Large numbers of people are relying upon comments in Ecclesiastes as proof that human life does not exist beyond the demise of the human body. It's a bubble because they are unaware that Ecclesiastes isn't a doctrinal book. No, far from it. Ecclesiastes is an inspired sample of worldly philosophy.

Though a holy man wrote Ecclesiastes, and was no doubt divinely motivated to do so; he didn't record his observations from the perspective of an enlightened man who's privy to knowledge beyond the scope of empirical evidence and human experience; but rather, he recorded his observations from the perspective of a man under the sun; viz: an earthy intellectual thinking for himself whose perception of reality is moderated by what he can see going on around him in the physical universe rather than what he cannot see going on around him in the non-physical sphere.

Ecclesiastes is popular with agnostics and atheists because it agrees, to a very large extent, with their own secular philosophies; viz: Solomon's observations are primarily an evaluation of life on earth as seen from the earth rather than an evaluation of life on earth as seen from heaven. In other words: he spoke of life from the perspective of empirical evidence and human experience.

Empirical evidence can be defined as: knowledge gained from observation; which is why you'll often read Ecclesiastes saying: "I have seen". Well; intellectuals can't see beyond death; so to them, death ends human existence because in the absence of empirical evidence for life beyond the grave, there is no logical basis for believing it's there-- simple as that.

Solomon was a very wise man, and the brightest intellectual of his day. But Christ claimed that his wisdom is superior to Solomon's.

†. Luke 11:31 . .The queen of the south will be raised up in the judgment with the men of this generation and will condemn them; because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, but, look! Something more than Solomon is here.

Solomon's understanding was limited, but Christ's is exceedingly vast.

†. Col 2:3 . . In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Traditional Christianity casts its vote for Christ primarily because it believes that no man could possibly know more about the afterlife than he; and also because it is God's edict that people listen to His son.

†. Matt 17:5 . . While Peter was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and behold, a voice out of the cloud, saying: This is My beloved son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to him.

No doubt Solomon was inspired to put his world view in writing; but Christ was more than inspired to say the things he spoke; the things he spoke came directly from God; so when he speaks of the afterlife, it pays to listen.

†. John 3:34-35 . . For he is sent by God. He speaks God's words; for God's Spirit is upon him without measure or limit.

†. John 8:26 . . He that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of Him.

†. John 8:28 . . I speak these things as the Father taught me.

†. John 12:49 . . I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, He gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

†. John 14:24 . .The word which you hear is not mine, but the Father's who sent me.

In other words; people who take sides with Ecclesiastes' world view against Jesus Christ's heaven-sent message, have taken sides against God; and the repercussions of their choice are disastrous to say the least.

†. John 3:18 . .Whoever believes in His son is not condemned, but whoever disbelieves stands condemned already

†. John 3:36 . . He that disbelieves the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abides on him.

Q: If Ecclesiastes really and truly counts as inspired scripture; then it's legitimate to ask: What purpose did God have in mind for Solomon's worldly views? In what way is his personal philosophy of life useful for reproving, for setting things straight, and for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work? (2Tim 3:16-17)

A: Ecclesiastes is very valuable for showing that life sans the divine perspective is both futile and meaningless. Humankind needs to believe in something more than itself just to make sense of why people exist at all.

People who disbelieve in the possibility of a hereafter tend to be darkened by a somewhat pessimistic opinion of life; for example:

Nobel Prize winner, author of several best-selling books, and recipient of at least a dozen honorary degrees; physicist Steven Weinberg (who views religion as an enemy of science), in his book "The First Three Minutes" wrote: The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it seems pointless. But if there is no solace in the fruits of our research, there is at least some consolation in the research itself . . . the effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of a farce and gives it some of the grace of tragedy.

Well of course Mr. Weinberg feels that way. How else could a thinking man feel when he believes in nothing beyond the natural world?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Jude 1:3 "Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints."

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Addressing idiocy.........

Addressing idiocy.........

You're not the one to offer any opinion relating to Christianity.

Having studied the history and political/doctrinal developments of Christianity, and other aspects of religious psychology and philosophy...my offerings into the nature of such are insightful. Being a student of comparative religions also helps. I don't know your educational level of religious studies or the expanse of your spiritual experience, but judging from your manners and 'offerings' here so far,...looks like you might have a lot more to learn.

You're a cultist, remember?

I am not a 'cultist', SO STOP CLAIMING that I am. You don't have a clue what I am, even if you could put my religion or philosophical leanings into a category. All you can offer is a pre-packaged version of Pauline Christianity and then the polemics and ad-homimens that come from a bigoted mentality, also prone to demean and belittling others which is far from being 'Christ-like'. This is more the behavior of a 'cultist' if you'd like a definition of one, who then believes anyone that does not believe like them, is going to suffer eternal hellfire.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Wow. Freelight sure loved that Prince guy.

I grew up with his music as a teen-ager in the 80's, so theres a nostalgic connection for sure, but many thousands besides myself also recognize his musical genius as a pioneer and innovator. I don't think my 'love' for Prince is any more exuberant than other fans of Prince's music, and many are much more passionate.

He sure is offended that Christians don't like him and think he was lewd and immoral....

Nah,...not really. A good portion of music did often cater to the sensual/sexual side of things, but to say that all his material was 'lewd and immoral' is a bit exaggerated. Unless you know the full span and spectrum of his musical creations, you really cant judge him from just a few songs of his that upset your 'Christian standard of morals'. He was devoutly religious, in any case.

I have no idea where the guy is. I do know that a lot of his material, and that specifically lauded by Freelight, Purex, and others in threads about the man, is inappropriate Mature content and not something that should be discussed on TOL as nothing but'admiration' . Some things are about discernment which a few on TOL lack.

I respect Prince as an 'artist', a legend in his own right. I haven't posted any expressly 'lewd' or 'immoral' songs by Prince, but have posted a few performances that showcase his artistry. I think that's something to be in awe of and respect, since I see these musical gifts and talents as God-given.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
My 'cult' is better than your 'cult' mentality.......

My 'cult' is better than your 'cult' mentality.......

Obviously, you're a JW cultist.

Obviously, you're a bigot who deems anyone associated with a religious group, book or philosophy that is not the same as your 'version' of Christianity as being a "CULTIST", - you never tire of using pejorative terms to marginalize and demean any religious group or person that does not share the same belief-system as you.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Obviously, you're a bigot who deems anyone associated with a religious group, book or philosophy that is not the same as your 'version' of Christianity as being a "CULTIST", - you never tire of using pejorative terms to marginalize and demean any religious group or person that does not share the same belief-system as you.

Prince is waiting for the Great White Throne Judgement.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

There's only ONE true Gospel. Of course, you being a UFO Cultist wouldn't know that?