When does the biblical day begin?

S-word

BANNED
Banned
the meat part must be eaten or burned entirely before the next day...you know as with the Passover lamb...that free will, with a vow, thank offering...this study just gets better I tells ya...

Yup Passover is under that thanks free will vow offering category...

It's been good discussing the Passover but I was focused on the beginning of the biblical day...

But I just listed that text to show that the day begins in the morning as the meat killed/offered must be eaten on the same day which does not turn to the next day with the setting sun...but must be eaten or burnt entirely before the next day's morning rising sun...

Jesus ate the Passover with his disciples in the early hours of the evening of 14th day of Abib, which the Jews, who had abandoned the one day Festival of Passover, and had incorporated the Passover meal into the first of their seven day festival of Unleavened Bread, called the day of Preparation.

Shortly after the meal, Jesus was arrested by men carrying torches, on the 14th day of preparation, He was sentenced to death by Pilate on the 6th hour (Mid night)of the 12 hours of darkness on the 14th day of Preparation. See John 19: 13-14.

Jesus was nailed to the cross on the 3rd hour of the 12 hour period of daylight, on the 14th day of Preparation. See Mark 15: 25.

Darkness covered the land at the 6th hour (Midday)of the 12 hour period on the 14th day of Preparation. See Mark 15: 33. Also Luke 23: 44. Also Matthew 27: 45.

Jesus died on the ninth hour of daylight on the 14th day of preparation. See Mark 15: 34. Also Matthew 27: 46.

Jesus was buried around the 12th hour of the 14th day of Preparation, Just as the darkness of the evening of the fifteenth day, which was a Most High Sabbath, when the Jews ate their Passover, in the beginning of the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread. Since it was the day of preparation, Joseph and Nicodemus asked for the body of Jesus, etc.

Matthew 27: 62; The next day, after the 14th day of preparation, etc.

Mark 15: 42; And when even had come, since it was the day of Preparation, that is, the day before the Sabbath (that was the beginning of the seven day festival of Unleavened Bread) Joseph and Nicodemus asked for the body of Jesus, rtc.

Luke 23: 54; It was at the end of the 14th day of preparation and the 15th day Sabbath of the first of the seven days of Unleavened Bread, was just beginning as the sun was setting on the 14th day of preparation when Jesus was buried.

New International Version, Joh 19: 31; Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath (The first Sabbath of Unleavened Bread). Because the Jewish leaders did not want the bodies left on the crosses during the Sabbath, they asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken down.

If that does not convince you that sunset was the beginning of the Jewish day, then you reveal yourself to be an obstinate, argumentative person, who has no desire whatsoever in discovering the truths as revealed in scripture, but like an ignorant child you just love to argue.

clefty

-

That verse is useful for proving that the seventh day of the Jews' week doesn't have a lock on the word sabbath.

Two more special sabbaths like Yom Kippur are Feast of Trumpets (Lev 23:23-25) and the first and last days of the Feast of Unleavened Bread.(Ex 12:16, Lev 23:5-8)

When people are unaware of those special sabbaths they invariably misunderstand John 19:31 to be speaking of the weekly seventh-day sabbath instead of the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread; which commences at night with the Passover dinner of roasted lambs that were slaughtered and cooked the previous afternoon.

/

Yup...your sabbaths vs My Sabbaths...His weekly ones...

"It is a day of sabbath rest for you, and you must deny yourselves. From the evening of the ninth day of the month until the following evening you are to observe your sabbath."

If all the days began in the evening what is meant by the Atonement day beginning the ninth at evening? Wouldn't all days begin at the evening? Why the redundancy to say from the evening of the ninth day of the month...?

And now this would make the 9th AND 10th the day of atonement...odd isn't it?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
so there were two separate preparation days - one for Passover and one for weekly sabbath.

Yes, 'the preparation/paraskeue' for the weekly Sabbath and 'the preparing/hetoimazo' for the Passover meal.

Matthew 27:62 KJV
(62) Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,

Did the chief priests and Pharisees go to Pilate on the weekly sabbath day to elect a guard over the tomb for 3 days?[/

Yep, they didn't let the law deter them from their desperate desire to eliminate this person{Christ] from the scene and dispense with this troublesome matter.

Jerry Shugart

Peter even thought the prophets had the Spirit of Christ, but you probably don't accept that so I feel sure you will disregard Ezekiel.

Do you even believe Ezekiel was a prophet? Well, no matter.

In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month, you shall observe the Passover, a feast of seven days, unleavened bread shall be eaten. (Ezekiel 45:21)​

In case you didn't notice this ordinance is referring to what will happen in the FUTURE in the Millennial Temple (Ezek.40). We can see that the ordinances in this Temple will be different from those under the Mosaic Covenant. For instance, in this Temple the passover will have different sacrifices than those under the Mosaic Covenant. Under that covenant there is one ram and seven lambs for the daily burnt offering (Num.28;19). in the new Temple there will be seven bullocks and seven rams (Ezek.45:23).

Therefore, you make a huge blunder when you attempt to apply Ezekiel 45:21 to the Mosaic law.

I would recommend that you study the "context" of the verses you want to quote next time. In the meantime, do you not think that what is said in the book of Numbers is inspired of God? Because there we read that the Passover was over by the time the 15th day arrived:

"And they departed from Rameses in the first month, on the fifteenth day of the first month; on the day after the passover the children of Israel went out with an high hand in the sight of all the Egyptians"
(Num.33:3).​

You say that the passover began on the 14th and continued until the 15th. So do you not think that the book of Numbers is inspired of God? And this verse from the same book demonstrates that the passover was to be observed on one day and not two, as you imagine:

"And in the fourteenth day of the first month is the passover of the LORD"
(Num.28:16).

Since you obviously do not believe either of the two verses which I quoted from the book of Numbers then you must not think that book is inspired of God.

Is that right?

Jerry, I learned a long time ago that algebra cannot be taught to a cow. She just stands there looking at you with big brown eyes and thinking to herself

At least she is thinking, which is more than I can say about you.

Jerry Shugart

So this text refers to the entire unleavened feast which includes Passover...

Of course these verses refer to the passover meal which was eaten on the 14th day of the month:

"Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed. And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat. And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare? And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in. And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples? And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready. And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover. And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him. And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer"(Lk.22:7-15).​

But you said earlier that the day spoken of in the above passage was the day before the passover:

After eating Judas gets up and the disciples all think he is to go buy something for the passover the next night... John 13:39

You can't have it both ways!

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
-

That verse is useful for proving that the seventh day of the Jews' week doesn't have a lock on the word sabbath.

Two more special sabbaths like Yom Kippur are Feast of Trumpets (Lev 23:23-25) and the first and last days of the Feast of Unleavened Bread.(Ex 12:16, Lev 23:5-8)

When people are unaware of those special sabbaths they invariably misunderstand John 19:31 to be speaking of the weekly seventh-day sabbath instead of the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread; which commences at night with the Passover dinner of roasted lambs that were slaughtered and cooked the previous afternoon.

/

While what you say is true, I emboldened from even to even thus killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Yup...your sabbaths vs My Sabbaths...His weekly ones...

"It is a day of sabbath rest for you, and you must deny yourselves. From the evening of the ninth day of the month until the following evening you are to observe your sabbath."

If all the days began in the evening what is meant by the Atonement day beginning the ninth at evening? Wouldn't all days begin at the evening? Why the redundancy to say from the evening of the ninth day of the month...?

And now this would make the 9th AND 10th the day of atonement...odd isn't it?

Nope. :nono:

clefty

Of course these verses refer to the passover meal which was eaten on the 14th day of the month:

"Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed. And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat. And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare? And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in. And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples? And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready. And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover. And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him. And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer"(Lk.22:7-15).​

But you said earlier that the day spoken of in the above passage was the day before the passover:

You can't have it both ways!

I dont want it both ways...

they ate their last supper on the 13th without lamb reclining not standing with staff in hands and sandals on...with wine and leavened bread and then leave to go the garden singing...He gets arrested tried all night...14th comes in the morning still bound to the center of the earth and then He is crucified and finally dies while the lambs are being killed between the evenings on the 14th...they bury him hurridly lay Him in the tomb and go home and eat the lambs killed earlier that same day...midnight the passover "occurs" and the 15th comes in the morning...a Sabbath...Passover and weekly

clefty

Nope. :nono:

Sure...9th at evening makes sense if 9th starts in the morning...the evening part adds the night part of the 9th of fasting to the 10th which starts in the morning...that is afflicting...

Evening of the 9th is either beginning of 9th or end into 10th...the first would be two days the second well just another normal day evening to evening...

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Sure...9th at evening makes sense if 9th starts in the morning...the evening part adds the night part of the 9th of fasting to the 10th which starts in the morning...that is afflicting...

Evening of the 9th is either beginning of 9th or end into 10th...the first would be two days the second well just another normal day evening to evening...

Scripture please.

Jerry Shugart

they ate their last supper on the 13th

No, the lamb was killed on the 14th:

"Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats: And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening"
(Ex.12:5-6).​

So these verses are describing what happened on the 14th, and not the 13th, as you imagine:

"Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed. And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat. And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare? And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in. And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples? And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready. And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover. And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him. And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer"
(Lk.22:7-15).​

Jerry Shugart

Good point. We know God is continually changing the Passover every few years, right?

I never said that. Instead, I said that the verse you quoted will be in force in the future when the Millennial Temple comes into existence. Besides that, I proved that the burnt offering of the passover will be changed in the future.

Of course you just stick your head in the sand and hope that all the verses which I have quoted on this subject will just disappear!

S-word

BANNED
Banned
I dont want it both ways...

they ate their last supper on the 13th without lamb reclining not standing with staff in hands and sandals on...with wine and leavened bread and then leave to go the garden singing...He gets arrested tried all night...14th comes in the morning still bound to the center of the earth and then He is crucified and finally dies while the lambs are being killed between the evenings on the 14th...they bury him hurridly lay Him in the tomb and go home and eat the lambs killed earlier that same day...midnight the passover "occurs" and the 15th comes in the morning...a Sabbath...Passover and weekly

What day is the day of Preparation?

After Jesus had eaten the Passover with his disciples, he went out into the garden where the guards came with lanterns and arrested him, after being questions by the Jewish authorities, he was taken to the palace of Pilate. At what time in the night of the DAY OF PREPARATION did John say in chapter 19 verse 14, that Pilate sentenced Jesus to death?

At what time of THE DAY OF PREPARATION, did Mark say in chapter 15 verse 25, that Jesus was nailed to the cross?

At what time of THE DAY OF PREPARATION did darkness cover the land according to Matthew, Mark and Luke.

Luke 23: 53-54; Joseph and Nicodemus laid the body of Jesus in a rock-hewed tomb, where no one had ever yet been laid. It was THE DAY OF PREPARATION, (The sun was setting on the day of preparation.) and the Sabbath was 'BEGINNING.'

Deny the Scriptures and you prove that you are incapable of comprehending that which you read.

WatchmanOnTheWall

the meat part must be eaten or burned entirely before the next day...you know as with the Passover lamb...that free will, with a vow, thank offering...this study just gets better I tells ya...

Yup Passover is under that thanks free will vow offering category...

It's been good discussing the Passover but I was focused on the beginning of the biblical day...

But I just listed that text to show that the day begins in the morning as the meat killed/offered must be eaten on the same day which does not turn to the next day with the setting sun...but must be eaten or burnt entirely before the next day's morning rising sun...

God had not even given Moses the rules concerning Free Will Offerings till they reached Mount Sinai. All Moses and the rest of the Israelites knew was that God told them to eat the Passover Lamb that night.

And the day starts at sunset just as God says in Genesis:

Genesis 1:5

God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Evening is followed by Morning - The first day.

God then repeats this six times (just in case people didn't hear it the first five times) - one for each day He created.

clefty

No, the lamb was killed on the 14th:

"Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats: And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening"
(Ex.12:5-6).​

So these verses are describing what happened on the 14th, and not the 13th, as you imagine:

"Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed. And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat. And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare? And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in. And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples? And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready. And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover. And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him. And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer"
(Lk.22:7-15).​

Yup then came the entire week of celebration including when the lamb was killed on the 14th

So they got a room to get ready for this week...is why there was no lamb mentioned at the last supper the night before the 14th..and why it is leavened bread not unleavened and also wine (leavened) not part of the Passover meal...is why they ate reclining, not standing staff in hand sandals on...and also why they left to go out into the garden singing

And also why when judas got up they thought he was going to get something for the feast the following day...what shop would be open if it was Passover night?

It was not the Passover meal as the lambs were killed and eaten the 14 which was the next day...

He died while they were being killed the next day after the last supper...

He sure desired to celebrate the passover with them...but did not as He was interrupted by divine appointment...

clefty

What day is the day of Preparation?

After Jesus had eaten the Passover with his disciples, he went out into the garden where the guards came with lanterns and arrested him, after being questions by the Jewish authorities, he was taken to the palace of Pilate. At what time in the night of the DAY OF PREPARATION did John say in chapter 19 verse 14, that Pilate sentenced Jesus to death?

At what time of THE DAY OF PREPARATION, did Mark say in chapter 15 verse 25, that Jesus was nailed to the cross?

At what time of THE DAY OF PREPARATION did darkness cover the land according to Matthew, Mark and Luke.

Luke 23: 53-54; Joseph and Nicodemus laid the body of Jesus in a rock-hewed tomb, where no one had ever yet been laid. It was THE DAY OF PREPARATION, (The sun was setting on the day of preparation.) and the Sabbath was 'BEGINNING.'

Deny the Scriptures and you prove that you are incapable of comprehending that which you read.

Day of preparation came before Passover...is why it is silly for you to start with "and after Jesus had eaten the Passover with His disciples He went out" you didnt go out if it was the passover night...even sillier you quote all the passages that clearly tell you it was the day of preparation FOR PASSOVER as the passover was still to come...that night the night after He was killed you know as the Passover Lamb...

Is why thy hurried to bury Him so they could go celebrate the Sabbath as per the commandment...His blood signing the new covenant, and His death SEALING it...and OT celebrations STILL kept...hmmmm...imagine that

clefty

God had not even given Moses the rules concerning Free Will Offerings till they reached Mount Sinai. All Moses and the rest of the Israelites knew was that God told them to eat the Passover Lamb that night.
but He had instructed the original Passover which well shows killing between the evenings or afternoon and eating that SAME DAY means exactly that the next day doesnt happen at sundown...as the Wrath passed over on the 14th the SAME DAY the lambs were killed...

And the day starts at sunset just as God says in Genesis:

Genesis 1:5

God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening,
up as day turning into evening then into night

and there was morning—the first day.
and night turns into morning completing the first day

Evening is followed by Morning - The first day.

God then repeats this six times (just in case people didn't hear it the first five times) - one for each day He created.

If night begins the day...what separated the first night of the first day from the darkness that hovered over the waters?

Evening NEEDS LIGHT...diminishing light...from the DAY which was created then turning into evening into night into morning= the first day...

He created Light and called it DAY...it became evening...

If night comes before day there needs to be an evening that separated the darkness from the night of the first day...evening was not created...DAY was...not diminishing light DAY was...then diminished...and this pattern occured six times to make the week which ended with rest...the Sabbath...also made for man...still

Is why today its TGIF...because after six days of work tomorrow is a DAY of rest...nice right?

TGIF He knew what He was doing...

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I never said that. Instead, I said that the verse you quoted will be in force in the future when the Millennial Temple comes into existence. Besides that, I proved that the burnt offering of the passover will be changed in the future.

The Passover is killed the 14th and the Feast of Passover is seven days during which unleavened bread must be eaten. That's the way it was in Moses time, that's the way it was in Jesus' time, and that's the way it will be in the King's time.

Things that are the same don't change.