ECT What is Predestination?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Romans 9 isn’t about salvation despite the following:
“Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory--even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? (Rom 9:21-24 ESV)”

Romans 8 isn’t about predestination we are told, its about already saved individuals. Despite the fact that Paul is clear…
“For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. (Rom 8:29-30 ESV)”

Foreknowing (foreordaining) precedes predestination. Predestination precedes calling, calling precedes justifying, and justifying precedes glorifying.

Your argument is false because it is based on a flawed interpretation of scripture. Left to our own devices we end up with a fallacious conclusion. Your interpretation cannot possibly be right for this reason alone. You interpret the scripture using flawed human language which is in turn based on flawed and broken human experience. You have offered no reason why anyone should trust your interpretation.

But perhaps the most stark reality is that Open Theism cannot consistently claim that God passes his own test that was given in Isaiah 40-48. Specifically, God chastises the false gods precisely because they don’t know the future?

“Set forth your case, says the LORD; bring your proofs, says the King of Jacob. Let them bring them, and tell us what is to happen. Tell us the former things, what they are, that we may consider them, that we may know their outcome; or declare to us the things to come. Tell us what is to come hereafter, that we may know that you are gods; do good, or do harm, that we may be dismayed and terrified. Behold, you are nothing, and your work is less than nothing; an abomination is he who chooses you. (Isa 41:21-24 ESV)”

Your argument is false because it is based on a flawed interpretation of scripture. Left to our own devices we end up with a fallacious conclusion. Your interpretation cannot possibly be right for this reason alone. You interpret the scripture using flawed human language which is in turn based on flawed and broken human experience. You have offered no reason why anyone should trust your interpretation.

Ah, now I see.

The core problem of your argument is that you do not see that we are always interpreting our experiences. And you don't have to look much farther than the scripture I keep quoting (and you keep ignoring) to see how this frustrates your argument.

Whether we are interpreting our experiences or not has nothing to do with the issue in hand. And the point I made has nothing to do with scripture. I don't see what is hard about this:

DR: Sliced bread works with egg mayonnaise
Dialogos: ah but each person's perception of the taste of egg mayonnaise is subjective, therefore sliced bread doesn't work with egg mayonnaise.

And you are talking to me about 'the core problem' of my argument?

Last edited:

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
In practical terms, it works like this: If you’re saved, you’re saved, but if you’re damned, you’re damned, and there is nothing you can do about it either way. Further, there is no way of knowing for sure whether you are saved or damned.

However, you can have some evidence that you might be saved—good works. So, it is a good idea to do lots of good works. The more you do, the more likely you might be saved. If you don’t have any good works, it is good evidence that you are probably damned (but even that is not certain). So what this doctrine gives with one hand (assurance of salvation for the elect), it takes away with the other (the only evidence you have that you are saved is your changed life in terms of good works, and you can’t even be sure that proves anything).

This doctrine is bad news for most of humanity (the damned, the non-elect), and it is hard to call it good news even for the elect (they never know for certain in this life whether they are elect or damned). The real gospel, on the other hand, is good news.

Found at https://www.gci.org/god/predestination

This confirms total depravity

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
In practical terms, it works like this: If you’re saved, you’re saved, but if you’re damned, you’re damned, and there is nothing you can do about it either way. Further, there is no way of knowing for sure whether you are saved or damned.

However, you can have some evidence that you might be saved—good works. So, it is a good idea to do lots of good works. The more you do, the more likely you might be saved. If you don’t have any good works, it is good evidence that you are probably damned (but even that is not certain). So what this doctrine gives with one hand (assurance of salvation for the elect), it takes away with the other (the only evidence you have that you are saved is your changed life in terms of good works, and you can’t even be sure that proves anything).

This doctrine is bad news for most of humanity (the damned, the non-elect), and it is hard to call it good news even for the elect (they never know for certain in this life whether they are elect or damned). The real gospel, on the other hand, is good news.

Found at https://www.gci.org/god/predestination

This confirms total depravity

nice going
I gave you a positive rep for that
not because I agree with it
but
because it is understandable
that may be the only statement I have ever heard from a calvinist that I clearly understand
so
why are the others not this clear?

rainee

Chrys I hope you are not single handedly responsible for making Saved One by Grace leave. But then again better you than me if I've been offensive lately and I guess I have been. Sigh.

You say only Puppet made sense on this issue?
Is he the only one who didn't try to incorporate Scriptures? I don't know just asking...
Everybody who answers this has to do it from their faith and understanding of Scriptures.

What I think you want is where the Calvinists are wrong. Perhaps a way to do that is to try to understand Paul's motives for his saying what he did better than they do since theirs is a very old understanding from a relatively younger Christianity, but guess whose understanding is even older than theirs from an even younger Christianity? Tag, you're it my friend.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Chrys I hope you are not single handedly responsible for making Saved One by Grace leave. But then again better you than me if I've been offensive lately and I guess I have been. Sigh.

Is he the only one who didn't try to incorporate Scriptures? I don't know just asking...
Everybody who answers this has to do it from their faith and understanding of Scriptures.

What I think you want is where the Calvinists are wrong. Perhaps a way to do that is to try to understand Paul's motives for his saying what he did better than they do since theirs is a very old understanding from a relatively younger Christianity, but guess whose understanding is even older than theirs from an even younger Christianity? Tag, you're it my friend.

for some reason I make
Saved One by Grace
very angry
and
that is his problem, not mine
regarding puppet
I am not interested in the scripture you use to justify your beliefs because you can find scripture to justify almost anything
so
what I am interested in
is
what you believe
most here cannot communicate that
so
all we see is bible verse war

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
nice going
I gave you a positive rep for that
not because I agree with it
but
because it is understandable
that may be the only statement I have ever heard from a calvinist that I clearly understand
so
why are the others not this clear?

Silly how others want me to make up something that makes me worthy. They try to trick me into boasting. The Bible keeps us out of trouble

Puppet

BANNED
Banned

Those that know don't need to be reminded agian with quotes they already read. Those that don't know wants proof quotes but can't understand them. Making requirements to quote scriptures here is like catholics creating new tradition and it becomes new scriptures.

nikolai_42

Again, if you insist on taking your perspective and looking for it in scripture, instead of learning what scripture is conveying, you will always find yourself eisegeting. Did God really have "flashing swords" and "arrows drunk with blood"? If you can't or won't see the metaphorical or hyperbolic language of scripture then you are doomed to never fully understand what God was trying to convey, especially as it was addressed to people over 3500 years ago.

That's a general assertion that one might use anywhere at any time to beg the question. "Did God really..." is dangerous territory that is awfully close to "Hath God said...?".

You simply haven't given any good reason why Deuteronomy 32:39 should be taken hyperbolically and instead we should decide that our experience should dictate what is really happening (i.e. "God isn't really doing it...everyone can see it's disease and violence..."). Even in hyperbole (such as with Jer 51:20 in which God calls Israel His "battle axe") what is still literally true is the agency. God used Israel to tear down kingdoms and destroy. While Israel wasn't literally a battle axe, the point is that God used them to do it. Likewise, God uses these agencies of disease and man's wicked inclinations to accomplish His own ends.

Surely the wrath of man shall praise thee: the remainder of wrath shalt thou restrain.
Psalm 76:10

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Those that know don't need to be reminded agian with quotes they already read. Those that don't know wants proof quotes but can't understand them. Making requirements to quote scriptures here is like catholics creating new tradition and it becomes new scriptures.

now that we got the bible stuff out of the way

do you have a reasonable explanation as to why we are here?

Puppet

BANNED
Banned

Translate the bible that most can aggree on. I like to say something so simple and be amazed how other make up stuff around it. I dream to post 3 word posts but a sentence seems to work for now. I try to get away from paragraphs but you ask questions that seems to waste our time. We here cause we're fast paced with a little time to read long bickering of others that don't know what there talking about. This post is way too long. You don't seem to really care much about answers to your questions, right?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I am not interested in the scripture you use to justify your beliefs because you can find scripture to justify almost anything
so
what I am interested in
is
what you believe
most here cannot communicate that
so
all we see is bible verse war

I agree very much with the above. It is my experience that most scripture quoting is to make the Bible support some particular point of view. If people really respect the Bible, they would not do this. The Bible has to be allowed its own point of view.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Translate the bible that most can aggree on. I like to say something so simple and be amazed how other make up stuff around it. I dream to post 3 word posts but a sentence seems to work for now. I try to get away from paragraphs but you ask questions that seems to waste our time. We here cause we're fast paced with a little time to read long bickering of others that don't know what there talking about. This post is way too long. You don't seem to really care much about answers to your questions, right?

you are already avoiding the question
you might as well quote scripture
so
I will give you my reasonable explanation for what we are doing here
we are being tested because we have free will
we are also being changed by our life experience

see how easy that is?

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
you are already avoiding the question
you might as well quote scripture
so
I will give you my reasonable explanation for what we are doing here
we are being tested because we have free will
we are also being changed by our life experience

see how easy that is?

All mankind failed the test. I ignore boring questions.

rainee

Wow you can be kinda hard hearted, Chrys!
Why are we here, you ask?

I think number one we are here to ultimately be more than we currently are in substance and definition. For the reason of being the companions of God.

However we may also be here as God works with an enemy.

All of the first one I mentioned is not new, yes?
All the oldies knew it, I think.

So predestination would simply mean to me what some would call God having His plans and His intention or demand for them to be met.

But the idea He has told us through Paul means something different - because why would we have to know??

So I think He would not have set this up and said what He said if He was not cultivating us to be knowing on a higher level than a Petunia.

But in regards to the enemy well that is more developed now I think than it was in the OT but they were younger children so that seems right to me.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Why are we here? The man in the insanesylem said it because we are not all there. -- Predestination.

Predestination?

I was sinner then I got saved, when I was saved I became elect, and as being elect, I was predestined to go heaven, therefore those things are predetermined.