ECT What is Predestination?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Why are we here? The man in the insanesylem said it because we are not all there. -- Predestination.

Predestination?

I was sinner then I got saved, when I was saved I became elect, and as being elect, I was predestined to go heaven, therefore those things are predetermined.

how did you get saved?
and
the predestination crowd says they were elect from the beginning

there is no becoming elect

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
how did you get saved?
and
the predestination crowd says they were elect from the beginning

there is no becoming elect

"Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow."
Psalm 51:7

The Old-Fashioned Way

They call me old-fashioned because I believe
That the Bible is God’s holy Word,
That Jesus, who lived among men long ago,
Is divine, and the Christ of God.

My sin was old-fashioned,
My guilt was old-fashioned,
God’s love was old-fashioned, I know;
And the way I was saved was the old-fashioned way,
Through the blood that makes whiter than snow.

Old-fashioned, because I believe and accept
Only what has been spoken from Heav’n;
Old-fashioned because at the cross I was saved,
At the cross had my sins forgiv’n.

Old-fashioned, because I am bound to do right,
To walk in the straight narrow way;
Because I have given my whole life to God,
Old-fashioned because I pray.

Old-fashioned, because I am looking above
To Jesus, my glorified Lord;
Because I believe He is coming again,
Fulfilling His holy Word
.​

Dialogos

Your argument is false because it is based on a flawed interpretation of scripture.
So, you are free to offer, and defend, another.

DR said:
Left to our own devices we end up with a fallacious conclusion.
Too true.

DR said:
Your interpretation cannot possibly be right for this reason alone.
Au contraire, I am not left to my own devices. See John 16:13.

DR said:
You interpret the scripture using flawed human language which is in turn based on flawed and broken human experience.
Language communicates experience, it is not based on experience. Were that the case, every person would have their own language as no two persons experience reality identically.

Communication has its faults, don't get me wrong, but it has an objective quality that our interpretations of our experiences don't have.

DR said:
You have offered no reason why anyone should trust your interpretation.
Again, you are free to offer an alternative interpretation. I don't expect anyone to trust my interpretation because it is my interpretation. I submit my interpretation for others to review and make up their own minds whether it accords with what the biblical testimony says or not.

You can play the "That's just your interpretation" game all you like. It doesn't erase the contrast that bible believers see between the veracity of God's revealed word and the tenuousness of our knowledge based on human experience.

If you would like to prioritize your experiences over biblical revelation rather than prioritize biblical revelation over your experiences you are welcome to do so.

But be honest about how you arrive at your conclusions. If your theological conclusions on this matter are based on how your theory accords to your experience rather than God's Word, then just say so.

If this isn't the case, then whether or not your experiences prop up your theology are incidental and largely unimportant.

StanJ

That's a general assertion that one might use anywhere at any time to beg the question. "Did God really..." is dangerous territory that is awfully close to "Hath God said...?".

You simply haven't given any good reason why Deuteronomy 32:39 should be taken hyperbolically and instead we should decide that our experience should dictate what is really happening (i.e. "God isn't really doing it...everyone can see it's disease and violence..."). Even in hyperbole (such as with Jer 51:20 in which God calls Israel His "battle axe") what is still literally true is the agency. God used Israel to tear down kingdoms and destroy. While Israel wasn't literally a battle axe, the point is that God used them to do it. Likewise, God uses these agencies of disease and man's wicked inclinations to accomplish His own ends.

Surely the wrath of man shall praise thee: the remainder of wrath shalt thou restrain.
Psalm 76:10

No, it's a response, now do likewise, and not just repeat yourself.

BTW, NOBODY said HATH in the Bible.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Genesis 3:1 KJV
Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

StanJ

Genesis 3:1 KJV
Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

Gen 3:1 (NIV)

I guess I should have said the manuscripts.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Au contraire, I am not left to my own devices. See John 16:13.

Isn't it strange? I was just thinking of that very scripture verse when I originally said that openness conforms with everyday experience whilst Calvinists have to explain away those experiences. I was really inspired by the Holy Spirit to say that.
So I must be right OK?

Language communicates experience,
You are making a very basic mistake here. You haven't taken into consideration that our interpretations of our experiences are flawed. For example you see the sun and you worship it as a god. That proves that your interpretations of your experiences are in error and your whole methodology is useless.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
thanks to puppet we now have a clear answer

what is predestination?

In practical terms, it works like this: If you’re saved, you’re saved, but if you’re damned, you’re damned, and there is nothing you can do about it either way. Further, there is no way of knowing for sure whether you are saved or damned.

nikolai_42

You want me to concede that the scriptures I quoted are hyperbolic. I see no reason to do so and am trying to explain why. Why do believe they are hyperbole?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
However we may also be here as God works with an enemy.

But in regards to the enemy well that is more developed now I think than it was in the OT but they were younger children so that seems right to me.

would like to hear more about this enemy

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
please don't edit that post

I will want to use it again

I allow myself to change my mind, daily, according to the spirit at any present moment at all times . Thats how I move with the spirit. Go ahead and quote me but all past is outdated. Thats where I have no freewill. I chose according to what is arranged around me. Don't be too late. Our conversations may be no good.

StanJ

You want me to concede that the scriptures I quoted are hyperbolic. I see no reason to do so and am trying to explain why. Why do believe they are hyperbole?

Because they use hyperbolic language!
If you don't see that, then I can't help you. One has to understand basic grammar if one is to read the Bible with any kind of productive comprehension. It's not a matter of your concession, more than it is a matter of recognition.