ECT What is Predestination?

0 Bible results for “Predestination.”

Suggested result
Romans 8:29 [Full Chapter]
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Sorry, we didn’t find any results for your search. Please try the following:

Double-check spelling, especially people and place names.
Make sure there are spaces between words. Bible Gateway treats “nameoftheFather” and “name of the Father” differently.
Use fewer words in your search, especially if you’re unsure of the exact phrase. For example, “baptizing name Father” and “baptizing them in the name of the Father” will both return Matthew 28:19; however, the latter leaves a greater chance for spelling and syntax errors.
Retry your search in another translation.

King James Version (KJV)
by Public Domain
Liar. Because you are using only one form of the word predestine, you say it's not there. You are a hypocrit and a liar falsely leading others to doubt their salvation. You are doing the work of your father, the devil.

Jamie Gigliotti

Doesn't that particular way of looking at things make God reactionary rather than proactive? In other words, isn't He then restricted by choices made at certain points to then determine the best move? Doesn't it make God more of a Cosmic Chess Player than a Sovereign Lord?

The contrary to that is that God's declaration that every knee will bow is simply Him looking down the corridors of time and saying "I win!" rather than working (temporally speaking...since it has been accomplished in eternity already) such that His Word is upheld. Or rather, His Word going forth temporally and accomplishing what He has already declared in eternity. It is a finished thing because He declared it. It is as certain as Creation was certain when God said "Let there be...". Is it not?

I don't see that it was a change of plans anymore than it was a change of plans for God not to let Abraham sacrifice Isaac after He instructed him to do so.

No argument with Him allowing these things to happen, but man doesn't get wooed to God - rather God changes and draws him. Otherwise, God would be waiting forever for that to happen:

Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Jeremiah 31:31-34

Behold, I will gather them out of all countries, whither I have driven them in mine anger, and in my fury, and in great wrath; and I will bring them again unto this place, and I will cause them to dwell safely:
And they shall be my people, and I will be their God:
And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me for ever, for the good of them, and of their children after them:
And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me.

Jeremiah 32:37-40

Remember...even the original covenant with Abraham was one-sided - God swearing by Himself as Abraham went into a deep sleep. Surely Isaiah 45:4 speaks to radical election (predestination) of at least a single people :

For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.
Isaiah 45:4

Love can be both reactionary and proactive. That's how we love. Abraham's test was different than changing the time Hezikiah had in response to Hezikiah's actions. The promises are based on our trust of Him. James and Paul agree on this about Abraham. Wooing/drawing are the same thing.

nikolai_42

Love can be both reactionary and proactive. That's how we love. Abraham's test was different than changing the time Hezikiah had in response to Hezikiah's actions. The promises are based on our trust of Him. James and Paul agree on this about Abraham. Wooing/drawing are the same thing.

Then at the absolute minimum, we have to say that the scriptures clearly teach that without wooing/drawing (whatever it is - I will overlook the terminology for the moment), we will not and cannot come to God. God, therefore, must be the active agent.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Liar. Because you are using only one form of the word predestine, you say it's not there. You are a hypocrit and a liar falsely leading others to doubt their salvation. You are doing the work of your father, the devil.

that
very dark place
you speak of
is
your own doing
so
do something about it

Jamie Gigliotti

Then at the absolute minimum, we have to say that the scriptures clearly teach that without wooing/drawing (whatever it is - I will overlook the terminology for the moment), we will not and cannot come to God. God, therefore, must be the active agent.

Catalyst yes!!! He loved us first, but will the seed bear fruit? Seek and you will find... Seeking is act of will, we find by Grace, soverignty. But the "good fight of faith" can not be discounted, the trails, testing.... Will and sovereignty work together, both are true.

StanJ

So are you saying He predestined policy (to be in Christ) in an impersonal sense for those He simply saw would choose Him (foreknew) in a personal sense?
I ask you the same question I posed in the OP : Does God foreknow young children and infants?

No, those are your words. His predestining is depicted clearly in Rom 8:29 (NIV)

God foreknows EVERYTHING, why would you think He can't?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, those are your words. His predestining is depicted clearly in Rom 8:29 (NIV)

Does God know that 2+2 = 5? Yes or no.
Does God know that you will die tomorrow? Yes or no.
Does God know that I will eat egg on toast tomorrow morning? Yes or no.
Does God know that meriwinkles are green? Yes or no.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

what God knows or foreknows does not support predestination
and
what we know about free will suggests we can and will determine our fate

Dialogos

DR said:
one: openness conforms to everyday experience. Determinists must explain away everyday experience and the notion that we have a different perspective from God on this is not an answer. It does not explain anything. In fact it only engenders despair because of the obvious implication that there is something wrong with us in that our experiences of reality are fundamentally flawed. It also engenders mistrust in both ourselves and our environment for the same reason and finally for the same reason it deprives us of moral reasons for the choices we make, rendering life meaningless and purpose of no effect.
There are a number of assumptions that are totally wrong in this statement.
The appeal to experience here is nonsensical. It is exactly the wrong approach. If we try an interpret theological truths from our own experience will likely arrive at the conclusions that we are just fine, in no need of saving and that our lives are just fine, solidly under our own control. According to our experience we humans are the most intelligent beings that we know so there is no need to trust in an unseen God. According to our experience, we are basically “good people” and according to our own metrics of justice (which are informed by our own experiences the vast majority of us are deserving of heaven so the notion that someone must die for our sins seems to be ridiculously over-reactive. According to the experience of most of the people that Jesus came to, Jesus said some promising things but didn’t deliver in the end and so in their experience Barabbas was a much better choice than Jesus when Pilot offered to set a prisoner free during that Passover celebration. It is interpreting what God is up to though the lenses of our own experience that ended up putting the Author of Life on a Roman cross.
Our experience is tainted by the sin that we inherited from our first parents. So, yes, it may well be the case that “in our experience” we destine ourselves to salvation and God is waiting, with baited breath, for us to choose Him, but if our reading of scripture teaches us anything, it should teach us that, left to our own devices, we interpret experience particularly badly and if we hold up the interpretation of our experiences as the ultimate principle by which we interpret matters of theology then we likely won’t believe there is a God at all. Just read Romans 1:21-22.

DR said:
two: openness conforms to the plain reading of scripture and determinism must be read into scripture. This is a surprising conclusion because it has been drummed into Christians for over a thousand years that their election (or not, as the case may be) has already been determined and scripture has been interpreted in that light, whatever any particular passage says. Scripture is made to conform to the principle and is not allowed to speak for itself.
This is totally wrong. Just look at the way passages get danced around on this thread?

Romans 9 isn’t about salvation despite the following:
“Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory--even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? (Rom 9:21-24 ESV)”

Romans 8 isn’t about predestination we are told, its about already saved individuals. Despite the fact that Paul is clear…
“For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. (Rom 8:29-30 ESV)”

Foreknowing (foreordaining) precedes predestination. Predestination precedes calling, calling precedes justifying, and justifying precedes glorifying.

But Openness Theology must rip calling out from the middle and put it before predestination as (according to openness theology) we aren’t predestined until we answer God’s call to salvation.

Therefor openness Theology sees the following as the Ordo Solutis:
Foreknowing (or a misunderstanding of foreknowing and perhaps a downright denial of foreknowing) – calling – justifying – predestining – glorifying.

But perhaps the most stark reality is that Open Theism cannot consistently claim that God passes his own test that was given in Isaiah 40-48. Specifically, God chastises the false gods precisely because they don’t know the future?

“Set forth your case, says the LORD; bring your proofs, says the King of Jacob. Let them bring them, and tell us what is to happen. Tell us the former things, what they are, that we may consider them, that we may know their outcome; or declare to us the things to come. Tell us what is to come hereafter, that we may know that you are gods; do good, or do harm, that we may be dismayed and terrified. Behold, you are nothing, and your work is less than nothing; an abomination is he who chooses you. (Isa 41:21-24 ESV)”

DR said:
Most of the leading openists I know of are thoroughgoing biblical exegetes or at least very well versed in the biblical text,…
Really?
Like Who?

StanJ

Ephesians 1:4-5 - According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Eph 1:4-5 (NIV)

For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will

This says pretty much the same thing Paul says in
Rom 8:29-30 (NIV)

For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Who God foreknows will accept Jesus, He predestines them to be like His son. In other words, He had a plan of action for those that DID confess Jesus as their savior, NOT to predestine ANYONE to be saved.

StanJ

Does God know that 2+2 = 5? Yes or no.
Does God know that you will die tomorrow? Yes or no.
Does God know that I will eat egg on toast tomorrow morning? Yes or no.
Does God know that meriwinkles are green? Yes or no.

Do you have A point rather than irrelevant questions?

nikolai_42

So He knows if an infant that dies would eventually be in Christ (given a longer lifespan)? Does it make a difference if the child would or would not accept Christ later in life (assuming the child lived)? Then does God not choose by not allowing the child the choice?

Word based mystic

God the Father who is Spirit has all knowledge and is not bound by time.

The Word/firstborn of all creation/Son/Physical manifestation in the material universe has limited his own foreknowledge.

He has access to the Fathers Knowledge but limits His knowing

In order to facilitate true interactive loving relations to all His created Children.

This allows Him to (desire that all men should be saved
and desire that None should perish.

He/word/Christ/Creator limits His foreknowledge until judgement days.

Thus a true interactive joy filled response to all that believe/receive/repent.

Thus a true passionate love response towards a bride that (Chooses) to marry the Bridegroom.

not a robotic programming on initially creating each Created child.

What Bridegroom would desire a robot that He created and programmed to love himself.
Ok everybody now bow, now worship, now love me.
sounds like forced slavery or programmed puppetry.

StanJ

So He knows if an infant that dies would eventually be in Christ (given a longer lifespan)? Does it make a difference if the child would or would not accept Christ later in life (assuming the child lived)? Then does God not choose by not allowing the child the choice?

This is a strawman nikolai, and I think you know it. Please deal in reality.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you have A point rather than irrelevant questions?

The questions aren't irrelevant. You made a statement that God foreknows everything. I am asking you to prove it by answering those questions. So what are the answers. Remember you said it: 'EVERYTHING'. So I await your answers.

Originally Posted by DR
one: openness conforms to everyday experience. Determinists must explain away everyday experience and the notion that we have a different perspective from God on this is not an answer. It does not explain anything. In fact it only engenders despair because of the obvious implication that there is something wrong with us in that our experiences of reality are fundamentally flawed. It also engenders mistrust in both ourselves and our environment for the same reason and finally for the same reason it deprives us of moral reasons for the choices we make, rendering life meaningless and purpose of no effect.

There are a number of assumptions that are totally wrong in this statement.
The appeal to experience here is nonsensical. It is exactly the wrong approach. If we try an interpret theological truths from our own experience will likely arrive at the conclusions that we are just fine, in no need of saving and that our lives are just fine, solidly under our own control.

I have no idea what you are talking about here. Where did I try to 'interpret theological truths from our own experience'? You are the one making the assumptions. I made a statement: A conforms to B. Your counter-argument amounts to 'The act of deriving C from B is a false methodology, therefore A doesn't conform to B'. Look, either A conforms to B or it doesn't. Your long-winded attempt at a refutation at this does everything except disprove it. This is a fact: openness theology conforms to everyday experience because everyday experience informs us that our actions are determinative of future events. This is a simple fact. It's how human beings work. Your job is not to show that my appeal to the fact is wrong, after all I am appealing to that fact, you can't deny that, it is my argument. Your job is to show that the fact has an alternative explanation that is satisfying. I invite you to show it.

nikolai_42

This is a strawman nikolai, and I think you know it. Please deal in reality.

How so? If God decides to take a child in infancy, isn't that a form of predestination against which many argue? By doing so, doesn't He determine their fate for them? Likewise, if He foresees that a child will not choose Him if left to live after a certain age and He doesn't take that child - isn't that a form of predestination?

StanJ

How so? If God decides to take a child in infancy, isn't that a form of predestination against which many argue? By doing so, doesn't He determine their fate for them? Likewise, if He foresees that a child will not choose Him if left to live after a certain age and He doesn't take that child - isn't that a form of predestination?

That's a pretty big IF. What makes you think God takes anybody? The life we live post Adam is corrupted and NOT immune to the effects of sin.
Everyone dies and I do not believe God decides when and where someone will die. That He knows is a different matter all together.