ECT What is Predestination?

nikolai_42

I'm interested in how people define predestination. What does it imply? Do you see scripture as saying the individual is predestined in any way

Scriptures like this need to be directly addressed :

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Romans 8:29-30

According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Ephesians 1:4-6

That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

Ephesians 1:10-11

And if God is simply looking down the corridors of time and seeing what we would do and then predestining us to be in Christ, how is that Him doing the predestining? How is it not rather Him simply categorizing? And if our choices are utterly free (i.e. we are just as able at any given time to choose any one choice over any other choice) then how can God work all things according to His own will? In other words, when my autonomy runs into God's Sovereignty, who prevails?

In addition, it seems to me there is a bit of a conundrum when it comes to the traditional free will position and the eternal destiny of young children or those under the "age of accountability". If God "knows" (by seeing the future of a child before it is even born) that that child is going to not choose Him, but takes the child in infancy - is He bound to save that child? You may object that the child has not done wrong or right, but this is the same God that loved Jacob and hated Esau before the children were even born and before they did wrong or right. If all God is judging is actions, how can He justly judge someone with a murderous heart who never actually murders? How can He call those who did many good works in His name "workers of iniquity" if the works (themselves) were actually good? Casting out devils is certainly a good work...
The point there is not to say whether infants do or do not go to heaven but rather to show that the typical attempt to reconcile free will and predestination by having God simply foresee (which, I note, is not as strong as Him "foreknowing") the life of someone He created causes some problems that I can't get past.

Note that I don't know where I stand on the issue. I don't think it is a fatalism vs. free will issue. I know it is complicated, but the ways many people try to accommodate libertarian free will seem to raise problems. I believe part of the reason that God allows things to work out as they do (often messy and with no redemption) is to bring condemnation where it is needed (something only He has the capacity to know) and to shut every mouth before God. When we, for example, think we can be good in our own strength - without dependence on God - God may allow us the time to prove ourselves. And if we ever do, then the necessity of Christ is tainted. We must come to the understanding that we cannot do good. But God permits this rebellion for a season in order that "every mouth may be stopped" before Him. No one will have an excuse. And what God restrains...prevents...keeps from happening...will have been restrained because it would not be to the praise of His glorious grace.

And we only see on a very small scale - our own experience. God is looking at all this in the light of eternity. So those things that He allows to persist for generations and those people He allows to be lost - these things seem incongruous with a loving God from our puny vantage point - but there is a much larger perspective that is needed to realize that the whole motivation of God is not to serve "me" but to bring all things into subjection to "Him". Israel being in Egypt for 400+ years may have seemed cruel and unmerciful (how many generations of Israelites would have lived and died knowing nothing but slavery and bondage), but God's plan transcends the individual at any given moment.

So I'm not coming down on one side or the other of the debate - but the more I look into it, the more it seems as though the standard (libertarian) free will position has real problems.

So how do you see predestination as revealed in scripture?

Jerry Shugart

I'm interested in how people define predestination. What does it imply? Do you see scripture as saying the individual is predestined in any way,

Yes, those individual who are already saved are presdestined to put on glorious bodies just like the Lord Jesus' body when they meet Him in the air:

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren" (Ro.8:28-29).​

It is those who are already saved who are predestined to be conformed to the image of the Son and this describes when that will happen:

"But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body" (Phil.3:20-21).​

The other two verses which you quote refers to exactly the same thing.

And if God is simply looking down the corridors of time and seeing what we would do and then predestining us to be in Christ, how is that Him doing the predestining?

When we look at the following verse from the pen of Paul we can see that being chosen from the beginning by God for salvation is based on believing:

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" (2 Thess.2:13).​

In the Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary we see that the words "from the beginning" refers to "before the foundation of the world":

"from the beginning--"before the foundation of the world" (Eph 1:4; compare 1Co 2:7; 2Ti 1:9); in contrast to those that shall "worship the beast, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world" (Re 13:8)" [emphasis added] (Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary, Commentary at 2 Thess. 2:13).​

nikolai_42

Yes, those individual who are already saved are presdestined to put on glorious bodies just like the Lord Jesus' body when they meet Him in the air:

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren" (Ro.8:28-29).​

It is those who are already saved who are predestined to be conformed to the image of the Son and this describes when that will happen:

"But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body" (Phil.3:20-21).​

The other two verses which you quote refers to exactly the same thing.

So what does it mean He foreknew us

When we look at the following verse from the pen of Paul we can see that being chosen from the beginning by God for salvation is based on believing:

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" (2 Thess.2:13).​

In the Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary we see that the words "from the beginning" refers to "before the foundation of the world":

"from the beginning--"before the foundation of the world" (Eph 1:4; compare 1Co 2:7; 2Ti 1:9); in contrast to those that shall "worship the beast, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world" (Re 13:8)" [emphasis added] (Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary, Commentary at 2 Thess. 2:13).​

In other words, you do believe God bases His predestination on our believing...correct? So God's choice is in response to man's?

What, then, do we say about y oung children who die? Are they predestined for salvation?

oatmeal

I'm interested in how people define predestination. What does it imply? Do you see scripture as saying the individual is predestined in any way

Scriptures like this need to be directly addressed :

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Romans 8:29-30

According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Ephesians 1:4-6

That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

Ephesians 1:10-11

And if God is simply looking down the corridors of time and seeing what we would do and then predestining us to be in Christ, how is that Him doing the predestining? How is it not rather Him simply categorizing? And if our choices are utterly free (i.e. we are just as able at any given time to choose any one choice over any other choice) then how can God work all things according to His own will? In other words, when my autonomy runs into God's Sovereignty, who prevails?

In addition, it seems to me there is a bit of a conundrum when it comes to the traditional free will position and the eternal destiny of young children or those under the "age of accountability". If God "knows" (by seeing the future of a child before it is even born) that that child is going to not choose Him, but takes the child in infancy - is He bound to save that child? You may object that the child has not done wrong or right, but this is the same God that loved Jacob and hated Esau before the children were even born and before they did wrong or right. If all God is judging is actions, how can He justly judge someone with a murderous heart who never actually murders? How can He call those who did many good works in His name "workers of iniquity" if the works (themselves) were actually good? Casting out devils is certainly a good work...
The point there is not to say whether infants do or do not go to heaven but rather to show that the typical attempt to reconcile free will and predestination by having God simply foresee (which, I note, is not as strong as Him "foreknowing") the life of someone He created causes some problems that I can't get past.

Note that I don't know where I stand on the issue. I don't think it is a fatalism vs. free will issue. I know it is complicated, but the ways many people try to accommodate libertarian free will seem to raise problems. I believe part of the reason that God allows things to work out as they do (often messy and with no redemption) is to bring condemnation where it is needed (something only He has the capacity to know) and to shut every mouth before God. When we, for example, think we can be good in our own strength - without dependence on God - God may allow us the time to prove ourselves. And if we ever do, then the necessity of Christ is tainted. We must come to the understanding that we cannot do good. But God permits this rebellion for a season in order that "every mouth may be stopped" before Him. No one will have an excuse. And what God restrains...prevents...keeps from happening...will have been restrained because it would not be to the praise of His glorious grace.

And we only see on a very small scale - our own experience. God is looking at all this in the light of eternity. So those things that He allows to persist for generations and those people He allows to be lost - these things seem incongruous with a loving God from our puny vantage point - but there is a much larger perspective that is needed to realize that the whole motivation of God is not to serve "me" but to bring all things into subjection to "Him". Israel being in Egypt for 400+ years may have seemed cruel and unmerciful (how many generations of Israelites would have lived and died knowing nothing but slavery and bondage), but God's plan transcends the individual at any given moment.

So I'm not coming down on one side or the other of the debate - but the more I look into it, the more it seems as though the standard (libertarian) free will position has real problems.

So how do you see predestination as revealed in scripture?

The word translated predestinate in scripture does not mean that your life is already scripted out by God and that you have no actual free will of your own.

What it does mean is "marked out beforehand"

A home builder marks out where he is going to build a house before he starts digging the foundation, etc..

A person driving down a road would see in the distance a stop sign and would start including in his plans, the plan to stop at that stop sign. He did not put the stop sign there, someone else decided that, but he, having foresignt plans ahead for the inevitable.

The essential key to understanding that is God's foreknowledge. Since he already knew from the foundations of the world, Ephesians 1:4, who would choose to believe, He chose those people and marked them out beforehand.

That is one reason why God provides ministering spirits, ( some call them guardian angels) for those who have not yet believed, Hebrews 1:14

Jerry Shugart

So what does it mean He foreknew us

In this verse it means that He foreknew us in the sense that He looked into the future and saw that we would believe.

In other words, you do believe God bases His predestination on our believing...correct? So God's choice is in response to man's?

You need to read my post again. I said that it is those who are already saved who are presdestined to put on new, glorious bodies like the body of the Lord Jesus.

What, then, do we say about y oung children who die? Are they predestined for salvation?

Since they are spiritually alive at birth then they will remain spiritually alive in the arms of the LORD.

Word based mystic

He foreknew all His created children.

He predestined all His created Children.

All have the opportunity to access forgiveness and Christs work.

Not All walk in that gift or repent, believe, receive, confess.

to assume He did not foreknow all his created children diminishes His omniscience.

to assume He did not Give all His Created children the opportunity to repent and believe diminishes The Fathers love.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Wouldn't predestination void free will?

In the matter of salvation, yes.

I find it a curious thing that nobody complains that they were created, did you have any say in the matter? did God akse you ever so nicely? did He even ask you how many toes you would like? nah God just goes ahead and does as He pleases.

Yet in the much more important matter of being re-created we moan like billy ho. We insist that God must come and curtsy to us and akse us ever so nicely....as if God were an Englishman.

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
Predestination means what happens now has already happened. We're like the mirror reflecting. Light vibration must be created first to reflect off the mirror. We are the result of God's continuous nonstop creation. All of you are puppets like me.

nikolai_42

In this verse it means that He foreknew us in the sense that He looked into the future and saw that we would believe.

You need to read my post again. I said that it is those who are already saved who are presdestined to put on new, glorious bodies like the body of the Lord Jesus.

Since they are spiritually alive at birth then they will remain spiritually alive in the arms of the LORD.

Are these young children foreknown of God? That is, did God look into history future and determine that they would believe and so He took them young? Or did He just decide - Sovereignly - not to let them have to make that choice themselves? Or did He see that they might not choose Him and decide to take them before they had a chance to make that choice?

beloved57

js

Thats a contradiction to the Principle of Election, God does not consider the acts of men, they were elected and predestinated before they were born Rom 9:11

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth)

Now if they had not been born, How did God foresee them believing ? Can anyone believe before they exist ?

Wouldn't predestination void free will?
If you take the scriptures as literal truth, as written, then free will is a man-made philosophical idea in opposition to the biblical stated belief of election. From our point of view, our actions are freely done and chosen by us, at least most of the time. From God's point of view, He knows everything from eternity past, through eternity future. To me, it all comes down to this: do you worship a Sovereign God; or do you worship a hands-off God where you are in charge? Are you the product of Intelligent Design expertly crafted; or are you a by chance accident? Do you believe in God's grace; or do you believe in man's works?

Jerry Shugart

Thats a contradiction to the Principle of Election, God does not consider the acts of men, they were elected and predestinated before they were born Rom 9:11

That verse has nothing to do with salvation.

Again, Paul tells us exactly how the LORD elects for salvation:

Predestination means what happens now has already happened. We're like the mirror reflecting. Light vibration must be created first to reflect off the mirror. We are the result of God's continuous nonstop creation. All of you are puppets like me.
That is a false definition.

The following is as good of a definition as any:
noun: predestination;

(as a doctrine in Christian theology) the divine foreordaining of all that will happen, especially with regard to the salvation of some and not others. It has been particularly associated with the teachings of St. Augustine of Hippo and of Calvin.

So predestination has Catholic and Protestant roots. It also has biblical roots that are more important.

beloved57

That verse has nothing to do with salvation.

Again, Paul tells us exactly how the LORD elects for salvation:

Where does it say it has nothing to do with Salvation ?