ECT What is Predestination?

nikolai_42

Let me just interject a small point here but possibly a very big one. You know that the phrase 'free rein' is a metaphor from horse riding. It is not spelled 'free reign'. Perhaps just an innocuous slip on your part. But giving free rein is not at all the same as giving free reign (freedom to reign). Horses that are given free rein are a) only in control of themselves, not others, albeit the driver of the carriage is left at their mercy to an extent and b) the driver willingly gives the horses free rein and can pull them back at any time.

Thanks, that was a slip. But in some senses it wasn't because freedom does imply some sort of dominion over something (or rather freedom from total restraint of another). The question I see is where God's freedom and our freedom collides. And if it doesn't happen all the time, then why? And when it does, who "wins"? Since God's Sovereignty is utter (there is no one above Him) then how can we talk about Him having any constraints?

The concept of choice or freedom only has a meaning in a world where there are constraints. The mere fact that something else exists is a constraint on your own choices. This applies to God as well. As I said before, I am not too bothered over what the exact definition of free will is or whether that is an appropriate term to describe how we make choices. I am interested in the nature of reality such that choices are possible or meaningful in the first place. We say (often glibly) that God can do anything, but God is also constrained. God can build a hyperspace bypass through where Earth is at the moment (idea courtesy of The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) but in order to do so he must first destroy the Earth. The fact that the Earth exists is a constraint on his ability to build the by-pass. You are free to eat the choloate bar sitting on the shop shelf but it comes with a constraint: you must pay for it. Even if your 'unseen powers' left us alone, our choices would still be subject to constraints. The only way for there to be no constraints is if nothing exists. Even if you are the only being that exists, you are are still a constraint upon yourself. So freedom doesn't mean that we can do anything we want.

God's constraints are only self-imposed. The only constraints He has are not to act against His nature. By definition, we assume that all He does is in perfect accord with who He is. Other constraints are artificial. If He can raise up descendants to Abraham from rocks (and build them into that same genealogy) then it implies our understanding of constraints is too anthropomorphic. To your Hitchiker's reference, God absolutely can do both (build the bypass and not have earth destroyed). His nature isn't violated if He were to find a solution wherein both conditions are met. We are absolutely incapable of doing anything like what God can (and does?) do. His ways are not our ways nor His thoughts our thoughts. His ways are so much higher than our ways. Our constraints are far greater than anything that constrains God. Maybe ironically, we reflect that fact by acting according to our nature as well. And outside of Him, that is utterly without eternal merit.

The constraints make the choices meaningful: you buy the chocolate because you like it more than the candy bar but you don't buy only chocolate because you know that you also need bread, lettuce and meat to survive. You jump in front of an oncoming train to save your wife because you know it is your duty to give up your life to protect her. How you make those choices is perhaps just a red herring. What is important to understand is that the real world as a whole is a very big set of mutually constraining constraints. Including God himself - because God is also real. God must logically be included in this picture. This is because of what I said earlier: there is only one truth, there is only one reality.

If God is subject to the same constraints we are, then He is not God. He is not far above us.

There is no hierarchy. Everything is mutually self-constraining. This is not the same question as who is more powerful than someone else.

Who (not what) constrains God? If it is a mutual self-constraint, it can't be God Himself...

I am not a huge fan of the doctrine of anihilation but it does offer a morally acceptable solution to this one. I favour anihilation over eternal conscious torment mostly on grounds of the biblical evidence but I don't have a hard and fast view either way.

God, then, becomes a "victim" of His own choices and annihilation a way to make sure there is no inconsistency. But there are scriptures that speak of something other than annihilation. Even though it seems viable in a logical sense, it is hard to uphold given all of scripture. I won't say it's impossible (I've considered it myself) but it doesn't seem to me to leave room for God's infinitely fine and discerning judgments to be assessed. As I said, God is judging far more broadly and deeply than "what I have done" or even "my intentions".

Most people I know who, like myself, have open views of reality, base their views on two things, both of which are extremely important:

one: openness conforms to everyday experience. Determinists must explain away everyday experience and the notion that we have a different perspective from God on this is not an answer. It does not explain anything. In fact it only engenders despair because of the obvious implication that there is something wrong with us in that our experiences of reality are fundamentally flawed. It also engenders mistrust in both ourselves and our environment for the same reason and finally for the same reason it deprives us of moral reasons for the choices we make, rendering life meaningless and purpose of no effect.

two: openness conforms to the plain reading of scripture and determinism must be read into scripture. This is a surprising conclusion because it has been drummed into Christians for over a thousand years that their election (or not, as the case may be) has already been determined and scripture has been interpreted in that light, whatever any particular passage says. Scripture is made to conform to the principle and is not allowed to speak for itself. Most of the leading openists I know of are thoroughgoing biblical exegetes or at least very well versed in the biblical text, much more so than most Calvinists I have ever debated with, and I guess it has been a love for the scriptures and to let them speak for themselves, that has led many such people to reject determinism and promote an openness theology. This has certainly been so in my case.

That's all I have time for now.

The problem with trying to dig through the details of our experience is that to solve the problems associated with libertarian free choice vs. God's Sovereignty requires a vantage point we simply don't have. Our answers will ultimately be unsatisfactory and incomplete. And so we have to take God's Word for things that seem paradoxical to our own experience.

Consider this scripture :

Surely the wrath of man shall praise thee: the remainder of wrath shalt thou restrain.
Psalm 76:10

It implies something of man's freedom (such as it is) and God's Sovereignty. Man is free to react according to His nature. Without God, that is not a good thing. But God knows all and sees all ahead of time and determines the boundaries of all things (not just physical boundaries either...)

God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

Acts 17:24-27

But the question really comes down to where these things collide. And that verse (and others, I believe) strongly imply that where they do come into conflict, God's will always wins. No matter what. No freedom being unduly impinged upon.

The contention with determinism is that everything, then, is a contest of God's will and man's will and so God's will wins - every femtosecond of every day in every molecule in the universe. The dualism of deterministic existence and bound freedom found in the electron cloud is the closest I've come to being able to express how I think that might work. It is a mystery in many ways. But when the argument, then, is advanced that this means God can't truly be worshipped, I am reminded of this scripture :

Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2:9-11

Which is a NT restatement of Isaiah's prophecy :

Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

Isaiah 45:22-23

There is certainly pretense for universalism there, but if one takes it in context of all scripture, that's a hard case to prove. But I don't think that is necessary. For the worship due God is given - and none grudgingly. None are bowing the knee out of empty duty but rather because of God's nature - because God's worthiness of all worship. Because it is demanded by His holiness, His pure character. Isaiah himself experienced it before being commissioned :

In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.
Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.
And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.
And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts.
Isaiah 6:1-5

That worship is because of God's nature, not because of any choice or free will decision to bow. So I can't see determinism as being a violation of the freedom that free will theology wants to claim is violated.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
predestination is not all that complicated

it means
your destination has already been determined
and
there is nothing you can do about it

that defies common sense

StanJ

nikolai....

The scriptures show that BEING in Christ is when God predestines us, NOT before. His predestination is about being made Christ like, NOT about being predestined to be saved. His predestinating always comes AFTER His foreknowledge of what people will/would do.
ALL this was decided and planned before day 1 of creation. God is NOT reactive, He is proactive.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
we make choices every day
we make good ones
and
we make bad ones
and
they all have consequences

nikolai_42

nikolai....

The scriptures show that BEING in Christ is when God predestines us, NOT before. His predestination is about being made Christ like, NOT about being predestined to be saved. His predestinating always comes AFTER His foreknowledge of what people will/would do.
ALL this was decided and planned before day 1 of creation. God is NOT reactive, He is proactive.

So are you saying He predestined policy (to be in Christ) in an impersonal sense for those He simply saw would choose Him (foreknew) in a personal sense?

I ask you the same question I posed in the OP : Does God foreknow young children and infants?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Thanks, that was a slip. But in some senses it wasn't because freedom does imply some sort of dominion over something (or rather freedom from total restraint of another). The question I see is where God's freedom and our freedom collides. And if it doesn't happen all the time, then why? And when it does, who "wins"? Since God's Sovereignty is utter (there is no one above Him) then how can we talk about Him having any constraints?

Perhaps you could reread what I said about constraints. Any sovereign has constraints. As I said, he can build a by-pass if he wants to because he is the sovereign but in order to build it, he must first order the destruction of the housing estate that just happens to be in the way of it. This is the meaning of constraint as I use it. He cannot just build the by-pass because he can't do that which is by definition impossible. His building of it is subject to the constraint that he must first create a clear way for his by-pass to be built. This is even stipulated in scripture: "Clear the way through the wilderness for the LORD! Make a straight highway through the wasteland for our God!" If God were not subject to constraints then this scripture would not have been written because he would just walk through the desert himself regardless of what was in the way. But the scripture clearly implies that in order for God to walk through that way, the way must be cleared. That is a constraint.

I shan't comment on the rest of your post because obviously it all depends on this understanding of constraints. I just repeat, this is not a question of power. God can create a vacuum where the whole physical universe is right now but in order to do so he must first destroy the universe and the fact that he must do that first is what we call a constraint.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Which (if I understand what you are saying) begs the question "When does God's foreknowledge 'kick in', so to speak?"

we can only speculate on this
but
I would say as soon as God creates a free will He knows
and
there still remains the part where we are purified and made white

per

Daniel 12:10King James Version (KJV)

10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.

King James Version (KJV)
by Public Domain

Jamie Gigliotti

God wants all men to come to the knowledge of the truth (1Timothy). Yet his purpose in election may stand (Romans 9).
Both are true, yet seem to contradict.

I applaud everyone who seeks to understand God as much as humanly possible, but it's important to remember we have a limited capcity here; we know in part(1 Corinthians 13). Why pray "Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven" if it is already being done on Earth. God does not want evil to happen. But he soverignly choses to allow it to create true free love. This does not mean God will not interject His will upon the earth, that he does not get involved in Earthly affairs. He is in the business of changing earthly affairs into His kingdom affairs, through His loving, graceful work of His Spirit and His children who are working for Him. Why does Jesus say pray for God to send workers? If all the workers are already being sent? Why pray at all if all of everything is already determined? God gives good gifts to his children. He responds to our prayers.

God can see all time??? What would inhibit God from seeing everychoice that could be made all at once from everyone on the planet and working, weaving through those choices and the work of Satan that is meant for destruction to bring about as much good as possible?? He is inhibited by nothing unless he chooses to be.

What if we all are predestinated to be conformed into the image of Christ? But all don't fulfill that destiny?

Hezikiah's life was extended. The plan changed. God changes plans based on our choices. Always wanting us to accept the gift of Himself through Jesus. He'll let us eat with the swine, but He's calling us into His arms.

nikolai_42

God wants all men to come to the knowledge of the truth (1Timothy). Yet his purpose in election may stand (Romans 9).
Both are true, yet seem to contradict.

I applaud everyone who seeks to understand God as much as humanly possible, but it's important to remember we have a limited capcity here; we know in part(1 Corinthians 13). Why pray "Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven" if it is already being done on Earth. God does not want evil to happen. But he soverignly choses to allow it to create true free love. This does not mean God will not interject His will upon the earth, that he does not get involved in Earthly affairs. He is in the business of changing earthly affairs into His kingdom affairs, through His loving, graceful work of His Spirit and His children who are working for Him. Why does Jesus say pray for God to send workers? If all the workers are already being sent? Why pray at all if all of everything is already determined? God gives good gifts to his children. He responds to our prayers.

God can see all time??? What would inhibit God from seeing everychoice that could be made all at once from everyone on the planet and working, weaving through those choices and the work of Satan that is meant for destruction to bring about as much good as possible?? He is inhibited by nothing unless he chooses to be.

Doesn't that particular way of looking at things make God reactionary rather than proactive? In other words, isn't He then restricted by choices made at certain points to then determine the best move? Doesn't it make God more of a Cosmic Chess Player than a Sovereign Lord?

What if we all are predestinated to be conformed into the image of Christ? But all don't fulfill that destiny?

The contrary to that is that God's declaration that every knee will bow is simply Him looking down the corridors of time and saying "I win!" rather than working (temporally speaking...since it has been accomplished in eternity already) such that His Word is upheld. Or rather, His Word going forth temporally and accomplishing what He has already declared in eternity. It is a finished thing because He declared it. It is as certain as Creation was certain when God said "Let there be...". Is it not?

Hezikiah's life was extended. The plan changed. God changes plans based on our choices.

I don't see that it was a change of plans anymore than it was a change of plans for God not to let Abraham sacrifice Isaac after He instructed him to do so.

Always wanting us to accept the gift of Himself through Jesus. He'll let us eat with the swine, but He's calling us into His arms.

No argument with Him allowing these things to happen, but man doesn't get wooed to God - rather God changes and draws him. Otherwise, God would be waiting forever for that to happen:

Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Jeremiah 31:31-34

Behold, I will gather them out of all countries, whither I have driven them in mine anger, and in my fury, and in great wrath; and I will bring them again unto this place, and I will cause them to dwell safely:
And they shall be my people, and I will be their God:
And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me for ever, for the good of them, and of their children after them:
And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me.

Jeremiah 32:37-40

Remember...even the original covenant with Abraham was one-sided - God swearing by Himself as Abraham went into a deep sleep. Surely Isaiah 45:4 speaks to radical election (predestination) of at least a single people :

For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.
Isaiah 45:4

nikolai_42

we can only speculate on this
but
I would say as soon as God creates a free will He knows
and
there still remains the part where we are purified and made white

per

Daniel 12:10King James Version (KJV)

10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.

King James Version (KJV)
by Public Domain

Do infants have free will?

Sancocho

What we do know is that Adam and Eve made a decision that opened their eyes to right and wrong and this is passed onto us.

We also know that nothing happens in the universe without God knowing it and there is no time for Him, so He knows all of our decisions. From God's perspective some have tried to infer that we are pre-destined, since God knows our decision. In my opinion this desire is rooted in one of two causes or maybe a combination of both:

1. an desire to resist worrying about one's constant sins and thus repenting.
2. a logical manifestation of the incomplete Gospel that claims we are justified by faith alone so "works" or our actions have little significance in our earthly life because they certainly don't affect our eternal life.

Either way you look at it both causes are arrogant at their root. The consequences of these false doctrines have been devastating for the US and Europe and are the reason why we have the highest homicide rates in the world and promote all types of debauchery, after all our actions are of little relevance.

Predestination Bible Verses (KJV)

Ephesians 1:4-5 - According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: (Read More...)

Ephesians 1:5 - Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

Romans 8:28-30 - And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose. (Read More...)

2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Romans 8:29 - For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

1 Peter 1:20 - Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

John 6:44 - No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

2 Timothy 1:9 - Who hath saved us, and called [us] with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

John 15:16 - Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Ephesians 1:11-12 - In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: (Read More...)

Acts 13:48 - And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
0 Bible results for “Predestination.”

Suggested result
Romans 8:29 [Full Chapter]
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Sorry, we didn’t find any results for your search. Please try the following:

Double-check spelling, especially people and place names.
Make sure there are spaces between words. Bible Gateway treats “nameoftheFather” and “name of the Father” differently.
Use fewer words in your search, especially if you’re unsure of the exact phrase. For example, “baptizing name Father” and “baptizing them in the name of the Father” will both return Matthew 28:19; however, the latter leaves a greater chance for spelling and syntax errors.
Retry your search in another translation.

King James Version (KJV)
by Public Domain