Unoffical TOL Rules and Advice for Newbs

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Okay, I know this thread is for newbies but... I've been away for awhile and I've been just reading through threads with titles that interest me and every once in awhile I see something I want to respond to.

Is it bad form to resurrect one??? :eek:
Generally, yes. There's a reason threads die; and it is because people have lost interest in them, even of not in the actual subject. If a thread is clearly old and dead but you have something to say, or ask, regarding the subject it is best to begin a new thread.

Although, newbies should not start a bunch of new threads.

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
Generally, yes. There's a reason threads die; and it is because people have lost interest in them, even of not in the actual subject. If a thread is clearly old and dead but you have something to say, or ask, regarding the subject it is best to begin a new thread.

Although, newbies should not start a bunch of new threads.

Awww, now I'm just sad... :cry:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
:D My friend the rebel without a pause... :chuckle:

Just seems to me that if there's already a thread out there it doesn't make sense to start a new one... :think:

Often making a new thread is better, it does start a fresh round of discussion - but that doesn't mean an old thread can't be revived.

If you post to an old thread you'll have said what you wanted to say, people will see your post, and then the thread will either die away again or keep going in a new direction.

Either way the choice is yours, and then the market will decide. :)

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
Often making a new thread is better, it does start a fresh round of discussion - but that doesn't mean an old thread can't be revived.

If you post to an old thread you'll have said what you wanted to say, people will see your post, and then the thread will either die away again or keep going in a new direction. Either way the choice is yours, and then the market will decide. :)

The free market wins again!! :banana:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Don't PM Sherman about infractions. She makes a point to mention this in every infraction so it must be a big deal
We have been getting too many people sending staff PM's after they come off infractions lately. It's waste of your time and the staff members time. I remind them to save them from picking up another infraction.

PMing staff about infractions to complain or argue falls under disrespect for TOL staff.

Just don't do it. At best you will be ignored at worst will be get another infraction.