Unoffical TOL Rules and Advice for Newbs

Levolor

- When responding to a post of great length, do not include the entire post if you're only going to respond with a few lines of statements or questions.

That's one of my pet peeves.

This is very good know. I've been given neg reps by two individuals whom are not newbies for quoting only that part of a post I was responding to.

I thought it seemed like a terrible waste of bandwidth to continually quote all of a post when it wasn't needed.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
- When responding to a post of great length, do not include the entire post if you're only going to respond with a few lines of statements or questions.

That's one of my pet peeves.

The only problem with that is when you do exactly that to just respond to what you want to adress, if the poster is less than honest or dont like the response, they use the fact that you didnt post their entire post to try and claim:

1) That you quoted them out of context
2) That you deliberately 'changed' their post

and then they refuse to adress your response at all claiming that you are 'dishonest' for not citing their whole post.

WizardofOz

Spoiler
The only problem with that is when you do exactly that to just respond to what you want to adress, if the poster is less than honest or dont like the response, they use the fact that you didnt post their entire post to try and claim:

and then they refuse to adress your response at all claiming that you are 'dishonest' for not citing their whole post.

Point taken. Maybe the spoiler code should be used

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

so what?
let them
you should only show what you are objecting to
and
they are being unreasonable
if
they object to that

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
This is very good know. I've been given neg reps by two individuals whom are not newbies for quoting only that part of a post I was responding to.
Hi, Lovebug.

Yeah, I've seen that. It's hypocrisy; they're being the dishonest ones.

Chris_J

- Do not tell someone that you're placing them on ignore if you're going to continue to respond to them after claiming to do so.

I laughed at this, reminds me of someone, lets call them personB, pB for short. When personA (pA for short) has a disagreement with pB, pB usually says "I'm done talking about this", pA usually says "OK". When pA walks away, if pA should turn around too quickly they may bump heads, pB is usually right behind with just a few more things to say.

bybee

I laughed at this, reminds me of someone, lets call them personB, pB for short. When personA (pA for short) has a disagreement with pB, pB usually says "I'm done talking about this", pA usually says "OK". When pA walks away, if pA should turn around too quickly they may bump heads, pB is usually right behind with just a few more things to say.

Oh yes! We have our share of those with "and another thing" to say.
Mostly, this is an entertaining as well as sometimes informative site.

quip

BANNED
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris_J

Oh yes! We have our share of those with "and another thing" to say.
Mostly, this is an entertaining as well as sometimes informative site.

pA x pB = pO. :mad:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Do not create a thread in which the OP only has a link to a website.

I find this very irritating also, this is a discussion forum and if you have thoughts or assertions regarding said article then state them, start a discussion for pete's sake.

WizardofOz

TruthSetsFree this is aimed at u and those like u

TruthSetsFree this is aimed at u and those like u

plz don't type like this

if u r 2 lazy 2 create actual sentences then don't bother posting

this isn't text messaging.

is this w/ Knight refers 2 as "baby talk", cuz it's annoying :sibbie:

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
Unless it's actually relevant I don't see how.

But that's irrelevant as I am referring to when newbies post in dead threads when they first show up here.

Okay, I know this thread is for newbies but... I've been away for awhile and I've been just reading through threads with titles that interest me and every once in awhile I see something I want to respond to.

Is it bad form to resurrect one??? :eek: