unfinished business

Sonnet

Did Peter preach the same Gospel as Paul?

For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. Whether, then, it is I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

Nang

TOL Subscriber

For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. Whether, then, it is I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

Who are you asking?

I say there is only one Gospel of Jesus Christ that has the power to save souls, and all the Apostles proclaimed it alike.

musterion

Someone once said: "You can take Calvin out of the Catholic church, but, you can't take the Catholic church out of Calvin."

Absolutely right. Here's one way I picture it.

If you think of "church history" as a tree, the main trunk sprouts out of the "early church fathers," whose roots go deep into the grievous wolves warned of by Paul. A few of them were, in fact, those same wolves, as they became figures of historical note within 100 years of Paul's death.

The Orthodox and the RCC are the two main limbs shooting off of that trunk. They run very close together because they still have so much wickedness in common.

Protestantism/Reformed theology claims to be completely severed from Rome and growing in soil of its own but that is false -- it is still firmly attached to Augustine, from whom the RCC also grows.

As time goes on, Reformed theology more and more resembles the Catholicism it flatters itself as having broken from.

On the other hand, the saved throughout history may have been trapped within this tree but are never an organic part of it. Our roots are in Christ alone, not in the dirt of Satan's wolves.

ClimateSanity

Sorry, but all I see in your theory, is very poor Christology . . In that you make attempt to divide the hypostatic union of natures that abide in Christ Jesus forever.

His flesh and divine natures were perfectly united in order to work the salvation of His brethren. Hebrews 2:14-18

He didn't divide the hypostatic union. Poor reading comprehension does that.

musterion

If you're asking me, you'll get no answer. I don't discuss these matters with anyone who tells me he's not interested in the saving Gospel, which you did. No point in instructing you; you cannot be edified, only hardened and your condemnation increased.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The Apostle Peter preached "The Kingdom Gospel" to the lost sheep:

1) They had to place their faith in Christ.
2) They had to continue doing works.
3) They were promised they would be ruled over by Christ, sitting on the throne of David here on this earth someday.

The Apostle Paul preached "The Grace Gospel" to the Gentiles:

1) They would receive salvation through faith alone without works.
2) Guaranteed eternal life.
3) The Righteousness of Christ Himself.
4) The sealing, indwelling and baptizing (not by water) into the Body of Christ, all done by the Holy Spirit.

Sonnet

Who are you asking?

It was a rhetorical question.

I say there is only one Gospel of Jesus Christ that has the power to save souls, and all the Apostles proclaimed it alike.

Your problem remains that Paul says of 1 Cor. 15:3, '...this is what we (the apostles) preach and this is what you (the Corinthians) believed.'

It (v.3) is preached and it was believed (by unbelievers). You won't preach it unless you are speaking to believers.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
If you're asking me, you'll get no answer. I don't discuss these matters with anyone who tells me he's not interested in the saving Gospel, which you did. No point in instructing you; you cannot be edified, only hardened and your condemnation increased.

From what I've gathered, he's an "Agnostic."

Sonnet

Ok musterion.

I wasn't asking you (it was rhetorical) - I merely quoted scripture that says Paul and the apostles preached the Gospel as outlined in v.3ff.

Sonnet

The Apostle Peter preached "The Kingdom Gospel" to the lost sheep:

1) They had to place their faith in Christ.
2) They had to continue doing works.
3) They were promised they would be ruled over by Christ, sitting on the throne of David here on this earth someday.

The Apostle Paul preached "The Grace Gospel" to the Gentiles:

1) They would receive salvation through faith alone without works.
2) Guaranteed eternal life.
3) The Righteousness of Christ Himself.
4) The sealing, indwelling and baptizing (not by water) into the Body of Christ, all done by the Holy Spirit.

Peter preached the same Gospel as Paul as 1 Cor 15 says. Paul preached in the synagogues.