Trump: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardofOz

Thanks a lot Trump, my grandma is eating Alpo now.

I blame Obama - it's never too late.

057.gif

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
We get these corporate tax cuts and then the market goes down, anyone know why? I do know why, but I am curious if anyone else knows why?

drbrumley

Bad: Trump threatening to pull funds based on how they vote in the UN resolution on Jerusalem.

Trump Should Withhold Every Penny
Laurence M. Vance

President Trump is threatening to withhold billions of dollars in U.S. foreign aid money from countries that vote in favor of a UN resolution rejecting the recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Trump should withhold every penny that the United States takes from taxpayers and gives to foreigners and their governments—but not for the reason he is giving. There should be no foreign aid to begin with. Not a penny. Like any Republican, Trump loves foreign aid as long as it can be used how Republicans want it to be used. See my articles “Republicans and Foreign Aid” and “Conservatives and Foreign Aid.”

Bam!!!!!

WizardofOz

Well, the will blow more air in that bubble before it pops...

Absolutely agreed. The tax cuts will just have big business sitting on yet even more cash but the market is generally a bit overvalued in my opinion. Price to earnings is up nearly across the board from one year ago on all major indexes. I think we'll see some more selloffs and profit taking in the near term.

In the long-term, student loan debt is what troubles me as far as bubbles are concerned.

Spoiler

https://www.ft.com/content/a272ee4c-1b83-11e7-bcac-6d03d067f81f
Rapid run-ups in debt are the single biggest predictor of market trouble. So it is worth noting that over the past 10 years the amount of student loan debt in the US has grown by 170 per cent, to a whopping $1.4tn — more than car loans, or credit card debt. Indeed, as an expert at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau recently pointed out to me, since 2008 we have basically swapped a housing debt bubble for a student loan bubble. No wonder NY Federal Reserve president Bill Dudley fretted last week that high levels of student debt and default are a “headwind to economic activity”.

In America, 44m people have student debt. Eight million of those borrowers are in default. That’s a default rate which is still higher than pre-crisis levels — unlike the default rate for mortgages, credit cards or even car loans.

Rising college education costs will not help shrink those numbers. While the headline consumer price index is 2.7 per cent, between 2016 and 2017 published tuition and fee prices rose by 9 per cent at four-year state institutions, and 13 per cent at posher private colleges.

drbrumley

Absolutely agreed. The tax cuts will just have big business sitting on yet even more cash but the market is generally a bit overvalued in my opinion. Price to earnings is up nearly across the board from one year ago on all major indexes. I think we'll see some more selloffs and profit taking in the near term.

In the long-term, student loan debt is what troubles me as far as bubbles are concerned.

Spoiler

https://www.ft.com/content/a272ee4c-1b83-11e7-bcac-6d03d067f81f
-11e7-bca
Rapid run-ups in debt are the single biggest predictor of market trouble. So it is worth noting that over the past 10 years the amount of student loan debt in the US has grown by 170 per cent, to a whopping $1.4tn — more than car loans, or credit card debt. Indeed, as an expert at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau recently pointed out to me, since 2008 we have basically swapped a housing debt bubble for a student loan bubble. No wonder NY Federal Reserve president Bill Dudley fretted last week that high levels of student debt and default are a “headwind to economic activity”.

In America, 44m people have student debt. Eight million of those borrowers are in default. That’s a default rate which is still higher than pre-crisis levels — unlike the default rate for mortgages, credit cards or even car loans.

Rising college education costs will not help shrink those numbers. While the headline consumer price index is 2.7 per cent, between 2016 and 2017 published tuition and fee prices rose by 9 per cent at four-year state institutions, and 13 per cent at posher private colleges.

No doubt my friend.

And they thought Trump was a great businessman. :rotfl: He doesn't know money or the economy. Didn't he run on doing something with the student debt? I don't recall.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
yes, some sell, take profits this year, and some buy the news, so one can sell in January 2018. Much horizontal trades next year. Small cap, industrial, more than large growth

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Trump Should Withhold Every Penny
Laurence M. Vance

President Trump is threatening to withhold billions of dollars in U.S. foreign aid money from countries that vote in favor of a UN resolution rejecting the recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Trump should withhold every penny that the United States takes from taxpayers and gives to foreigners and their governments—but not for the reason he is giving. There should be no foreign aid to begin with. Not a penny. Like any Republican, Trump loves foreign aid as long as it can be used how Republicans want it to be used. See my articles “Republicans and Foreign Aid” and “Conservatives and Foreign Aid.”

Bam!!!!!

Changing funding based on the merits is one thing, pulling it to get revenge or to coerce other people is bad.

Danoh

US
DOW S&P
NASDAQ

At the same time, there is the other side of that equation - Rothschild's "buy when there is blood in the streets..."

Case in point, back around the time Trump became President (or just before he did; I forget which) I posted a video featuring Trump doling out his perspective on what had then been a "blood in the streets" scenario (at the time he had been interviewed in that video).

The post received zero response.

And now, here we are.

Exactly the blood in the streets I knew Trump would set in motion, is now where we are headed.

And back then I also noted on some other thread, that I knew I would come out just fine.

One of the usual morons on here immediately turned that into something else.

I was fine with that.

For the perspective from which I had said that was and is, that there is never so much a bad or a good time to engage in one thing or another in life in general (in this case, to invest or not), rather; a sound or an unsound, APPROACH.

Just a matter of sound APPROACH principles, when looking out at ANY thing, to begin with.

As in ALL things in life.

Or as Mark Twain once noted " It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
We get these corporate tax cuts and then the market goes down, anyone know why? I do know why, but I am curious if anyone else knows why?

Maybe because every independent analysis of the new law says that it will balloon the deficit without causing increased investment.

Or possibly because it's already been tried in Kansas, and everyone knows how that worked out. The republicans in the legislature had to do an intervention with their supply-side governor, and cancelled his disastrous economic program.

There's a purely historical factor, as well:

The end of a two-term president is usually bad news for the stock market
http://www.businessinsider.com/market-sell-off-after-two-term-presidential-cycle-2015-11

And the overall economic performance of different parties:

20160808AndersonGDPChartAvg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.