toldailytopic: Why do some people seem to hate Tim Tebow so much?

GuySmiley

That said, I'm rooting against the guy this weekend, but I don't think my Pats prevail in Denver.
I was shocked to see you say this too. This will be by far the toughest opponent the Broncos will face, and as you know they haven't really been winning by much. If I weren't such a homer I'd bet on the Pats.

Interestingly, I came accross this in a local Denver news story:

Belichick (a Broncos film assistant in 1978) is 3-10 as a head coach, 3-6 with the Patriots, against the Broncos, and Brady has a losing record against only one NFL team _ the Broncos (1-6). John Elway​ was 10-0 against the Patriots.
http://www.denverpost.com/popular/ci_19542791?utm_medium=facebook

These stats were a suprise. I knew Denver always plays well against the Pats but I didn't realize it was this much. Still . . . I'll be shocked if Denver wins this time.

Todah

Denver 28 New England 14

No suspense this week. Tebow comes out in the no huddle, shotgun in the first quarter, while New England has prepared all week for run options. Denver scores a quick 14 points. Von Miller and Elvis, sack Brady 3 times in the first quarter. New England never recovers.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
while New England has prepared all week for run options.
It's funny you mention that. Tebow and the Broncos have caught some flak from the so-called experts who say you can't continue to run the option in the NFL because the defenses are too good and will figure it out. Well they may be able to figure it out but can they stop it? After all there has never been a better spread option qb than Tim Tebow.

But more importantly than that after the first few games the Broncos started Tebow they haven't relied that much on the option. I think they have done a great job of mixing it up and not solely relying on the spread option. I think the Broncos offense is far more complex than the "experts" give them credit for.

Todah

It's funny you mention that. Tebow and the Broncos have caught some flak from the so-called experts who say you can't continue to run the option in the NFL because the defenses are too good and will figure it out. Well they may be able to figure it out but can they stop it? After all there has never been a better spread option qb than Tim Tebow.

But more importantly than that after the first few games the Broncos started Tebow they haven't relied that much on the option. I think they have done a great job of mixing it up and not solely relying on the spread option. I think the Broncos offense is far more complex than the "experts" give them credit for.

Yes , I agree. As a fan who has seen every play, this year, I am not always certain, what play they are going to run next. It is exciting, when you can't always tell from the formation, nor the body language of the players, what the call in the huddle was, until it happens. When a defender has to think, even for a millisecond, than the offense has an advantage.

When that offensive line completely gels, and the receivers mature, then watch out. Their absolute worst down ,has been third and one or two. They run straight up the middle, and invariably gain a foot less than needed.

Everyone complains about all of Denver's three and outs. I think about half of them have come on third and short and a run up the middle. They may be setting a record for most punts on fourth and a foot. :)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
As one comedian said......"there are no new jokes, only new audiences." I never heard that joke before, but it is a good one and fits the present circumstances with Tim Tebow beautifully.
I think it works better with Tebow because he is an outspoken Christian.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
@ Knight and Guy...

As Guy pointed out, New England's terrible historically at Denver (Brady's 2-12 against them, the worst record he has against any opponent). I've seen the Pats play some awful football there.

Denver's defense is tough, and keeps putting them in a position to win. And frankly, the Pats's D stinks and has made some mediocre QB's look great this season.

Again, I hope I'm wrong...but I got a bad feeling about this match up.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
@ Knight and Guy...

As Guy pointed out, New England's terrible historically at Denver (Brady's 2-12 against them, the worst record he has against any opponent). I've seen the Pats play some awful football there.
Isn't it strange that some teams struggle against other teams over the course of history? I mean it's one thing to struggle for a few years against John Elway and the Broncos but what about when Elway and his group are long gone?

I've seen similar things in hockey and it always baffles me. The players change, the coaches change, even ownership might change, but for some reason certain franchises struggle against other franchises. It makes no sense.

Denver's defense is tough, and keeps putting them in a position to win. And frankly, the Pats's D stinks and has made some mediocre QB's look great this season.
True, but keep in mind Denver gave up 381 yards passing to a rookie quarterback in Minnesota. Denver's D is good this year but they have their soft spots (d-backs and interior d-line).

Again, I hope I'm wrong...but I got a bad feeling about this match up.
Well, I guess one of our "feelings" is gonna be wrong. I hope it's mine. :D

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
Some are predicting that if the Broncos win again on Sunday, even some anti-theists will convert.
I think most will just hate all the more.
Kinda like Pharaoh...only without the miracles.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
this game will get a lot of attention
and
that is a good thing
but
I'll take the pats

I don't think Denver has yet to deal with a good offense

Granite

Hall of Fame
Some are predicting that if the Broncos win again on Sunday, even some anti-theists will convert.
I think most will just hate all the more.
Kinda like Pharaoh...only without the miracles.

See, that's what I was talking about. The rabid Tebowites read way too much into what the guy does.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
Tebow is professing his faith through an open window. His faith hasn’t changed...the window is getting bigger.

The haters just can’t stand that!

Granite

Hall of Fame
Tebow is professing his faith through an open window. His faith hasn’t changed...the window is getting bigger.

The haters just can’t stand that!

Well I don't really care--he's not the first athlete/sports player to profess his faith, and won't be the last. And I don't hate the guy. The closest I've come to "hating" an NFLer would be Michael Vick, but it's downright silly to go on hating a complete stranger. I loathe what Vick did, that's for sure.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yep, Vick had a pretty big window and look what he was caught doing. Same with Favre, Belichick, Roethlisberger, and others.

Tebow now has the biggest window and the haters want so badly for the shutters to be closed, or...for him to fall.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's funny you mention that. Tebow and the Broncos have caught some flak from the so-called experts who say you can't continue to run the option in the NFL because the defenses are too good and will figure it out.

Which teams has Denver played with Tebow as the starter have a .500 record or better, or weren't in a long slide? Let me help. The Lions. Remember the score?

I've seen similar things in hockey and it always baffles me. The players change, the coaches change, even ownership might change, but for some reason certain franchises struggle against other franchises. It makes no sense.

Flip a quarter a hundred times, and document the outcome flip by flip. It will be close to 50/50. But there will be long stretches of both. Teams can get lucky. That means things went your way. Mike Shanahan had no problem admitting it with back to back championships. Very few injuries. Things like that matter. Having your man get rolled up away from the ball and tearing his ligament in the pile just happens.

I was eating yesterday and he was mentioned. This guy says "I always hated him". I asked why. "I just do". (FSU fan?)

Denver at home is the biggest advantage in sports. It is why the olympic teams practice in the Springs. In Foxborogh, the Broncos lose like they did to the Pack and Lions. At home, not so much. I can't see Denver winning by only scoring 13 or 16 points. Unless the weather is terrible and it is a low scoring game.

Todah

Which teams has Denver played with Tebow as the starter have a .500 record or better, or weren't in a long slide? Let me help. The Lions. Remember the score?

Flip a quarter a hundred times, and document the outcome flip by flip. It will be close to 50/50. But there will be long stretches of both. Teams can get lucky. That means things went your way. Mike Shanahan had no problem admitting it with back to back championships. Very few injuries. Things like that matter. Having your man get rolled up away from the ball and tearing his ligament in the pile just happens.

Denver at home is the biggest advantage in sports. It is why the olympic teams practice in the Springs. In Foxborogh, the Broncos lose like they did to the Pack and Lions. At home, not so much. I can't see Denver winning by only scoring 13 or 16 points. Unless the weather is terrible and it is a low scoring game.

So if New England beats Denver, you will say...see they finally met a good team with a 10-3 record and they beat the Broncos on their home field, Tebow is not that good.

However if the Broncos beat a team with a 10-3 record a great offense and one of the greatest passers of all time, you will say...... yeah but NE and Tom Brady have never played well in Denver, Denver is on a streak, it happens. and that mile high altitude is the biggest home field advantage in all of sports.

This is called a no win scenario, for the Broncos and Tebow. Duly noted!

Todah

it will be a big win for the sponsors

many will be watching

For those of us who love the sport and game of football, we would love it even more without the sponsors and their constant interruption of play and momentum. Viewership would probably double without them, and the game could be played in slightly over two hours.

I usually only watch the one game a week, my Broncos, because of all the commercials. They are very irritating.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So if New England beats Denver, you will say...see they finally met a good team with a 10-3 record and they beat the Broncos on their home field, Tebow is not that good.

I am telling you he isn't a good quarterback right now. With the win streak. The Bronocos are playing good enough to win against bad teams by very solid defense.

However if the Broncos beat a team with a 10-3 record a great offense and one of the greatest passers of all time, you will say......

6-3 in a blizzard? Do really think the score will be anything like that?

yeah but NE and Tom Brady have never played well in Denver,

I wouldn't have know except it was just mentioned.

that mile high altitude is the biggest home field advantage in all of sports.

Yep, it is. You think it isn't? What do you think the score would be, ballpark figure, in Boston?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Last time Denver played at Foxborough the Pats beat them with a second-string quarterback 41-7.