toldailytopic: Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as Theolog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick_A

Atheists still believe in things.

Just not God. Why is the definition of atheism just so hard for people to understand?

You've got your Nicks confused. I'm Nick A, the real svoloch here. I have a reputation to maintain.

I like negative atheists because they just don't believe in a personal god. I don't either but have studied the potential for universal meaning and purpose which includes Man within it. There is no reason why I cannot discuss the possibilities for universal meaning and purpose with a negative atheist.

Albert Camus, for example, was a negative atheist who I could easily have discussed this possiility with. He wouldn't have gone off the deep end in denial as the positive atheists often do.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AB - post #117

"SH....

How do you define a 'good' person? Why is it only religion that could cause such a person to commit 'evil' as oppose to politics or corruption through other aspects of humanity? How about power? Greed? That really isn't a strong argument. You'd need to clarify what 'good' is and just how that's invulnerable to anything besides your view of religion.

Regarding your 'rape' argument. How about "Love your neighbour as yourself"?
If you're familiar with the biblical definition of love then violent sexual assault doesn't tie in with it...."

SH, I'd be interested in seeing a response to this. I had some of the same questions in response to you repeatedly saying that it takes religion for good people to do evil things.

NM asked you some similar questions and you used David and his adultery as an example. I don't find that to be a good example because his religion had nothing to do with his commission of adultery.

davidgmcdowell

And what would the mission accomplish?

I can understand Christians attempting to convert atheists because a Christian believes that the conversion will save the soul of the atheist.

The atheist however claims to not believe in a God and claims that morality and right and wrong are relative to the individual. Therefore... the atheist cannot make the claim that his understanding is any more right that the Christian's understanding.

I think that if a person were truly an atheist he wouldn't care what other people believe and he wouldn't waste any time of forums such as TOL.

The truth is... all atheists inherently know God exists and they participate here and other places like TOL because they are trying to convince themselves one way or the other. They seek reassurance that they can never satisfy (as an atheist that is). They have an internal battle to fight between what the know to be true but never let on (a god exists), and what they present themselves as believing (that no god exists).

Therefore... atheists participate on TOL because deep down inside they know they are wrong.

I don't believe this forum exists and deep down inside, I know I'm right, but I could be wrong, but then again, right and wrong are defined by the existence of this forum...wait...that's not right. I give up.

zoo22

And what would the mission accomplish?

I can understand Christians attempting to convert atheists because a Christian believes that the conversion will save the soul of the atheist.

The atheist however claims to not believe in a God and claims that morality and right and wrong are relative to the individual. Therefore... the atheist cannot make the claim that his understanding is any more right that the Christian's understanding.

I think that if a person were truly an atheist he wouldn't care what other people believe and he wouldn't waste any time of forums such as TOL.

The truth is... all atheists inherently know God exists and they participate here and other places like TOL because they are trying to convince themselves one way or the other. They seek reassurance that they can never satisfy (as an atheist that is). They have an internal battle to fight between what the know to be true but never let on (a god exists), and what they present themselves as believing (that no god exists).

Therefore... atheists participate on TOL because deep down inside they know they are wrong.

I think that may be true for some, but certainly not all. I think there are lots of different reasons an atheist might spend time at TOL...

Could be to confirm their beliefs, to convince themselves of beliefs, to talk out loud, to argue, to vent, to change other people's minds, to change their own mind, to learn about other people's beliefs and/or why other people believe what they believe ... All kinds of different reasons.

I don't agree that "if a person were truly an atheist he wouldn't care what other people believe."

nicholsmom

I’m not going to re-hash something that has been hashed enough so recently on another thread simply for your convenience.
Then you will have to drop the argument. And so you still owe me an example of Christianity being the cause of evil.

Are you saying Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot were “good men?” I’m certainly not.
They certainly committed horrendous acts. Were they evil when they were 10? When they were 20? At some point they must have been men who others considered to be "good men" otherwise, who would follow them? Do you know what made these "good men" turn to such evil ways? It wasn't religion - they were atheists much like the "new atheists" - not allowing any expression of religion in the nations they built on the blood of their citizens.

For good people to do evil things requires religion.
Just keep on asserting. Maybe it'll ring somebody's bell.

You haven’t “refuted” anything. You are relying on a faulty premise to justify a faulty conclusion given you have no idea of the theological beliefs of Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot. What if I told you Stalin was a Catholic or that there are more people in US jails who believe in a “supreme being” who have murdered than don't? What about the Taliban, Muslims and the various Catholic genocides? Wouldn’t that substantially skew your “numbers?”

I wasn't the one making an unfounded assertion about "most" of the evil being done in the name of religion. I brought three atheists who committed heinous acts - millions of murders, torture, starvation - as evidence that it is not something that's a foregone conclusion - that you will have to run the numbers to find out. It's way too close a race to call it on a show of hands. So either concede the point, or bring out the full accounting of evil deeds.

As an example of religion causing someone to do evil, you bring:
David, the King of Israel.
Now, I've read those stories many times, and I've gotta tell ya, David never did anything wicked because of religion. For instance:
He committed adultery with another man’s wife and had the man murdered.

Which evil deed was done when he strayed from his religion, and was severely punished. It was because of his deep remorse over that act that he wrote some very beautiful songs about the wretchedness of a man who has wandered from God, about the pain in his soul over his own wickedness. It was his religion that brought David to that point of despairing regret over the sins he'd committed.

I never said Christianity specifically; I said religion.

Of which Christianity is one.
I suppose the genocides of the Bible were/are acceptable because “god” ordered it. If so you have an odd standard of what does and does not constitute genocide.
They were not acceptable, they were absolutely necessary, otherwise God would not have ordered them. Failure to complete this task by Saul cost Israel in very deep, spiritual ways.

The important questions concerning these genocides are:
1) What purpose did they serve? and so
2) Will such a thing be repeated?

The answers are found in the reading of that history.
1) God was preparing the way for Christ, and this was a part of that long and complex process.
2) No, since Christ has come.

I like TH and enjoy his insights so you be nice when discussing such a noble fellow around me.
Be careful, TH is quite fond of me. He will unvelvet those claws if he has to.

Ahem, reading a book is not the same as someone “speaking” to you.
The Bible is the written Word of God. So you are quite wrong. God speaks through His Word. He isn't limited to that - we read of Moses talking to God "face to face" though he never actually saw God's face; we read of Abram hearing God speak from the burning bush, and Saul of Tarsus hearing Christ speak, though those with him only heard thundering noises. We know that all of Scriptures is inspired of God in a way that makes God the co-author of every book. God speaks to me through His word not only when I read it, but when I meditate on it, and when He calls it to mind in times of need. It isn't really something that can be described to someone who does not have a regenerated heart, and even then, it is an individual experience - very intimate, so take care not to belittle it or to tread upon it since I have shown a piece of myself in sharing even this much with you.

"These people's God has shown them by a million acts that he respects none of the Bible's statues. He breaks every one of them himself, adultery and all." - Mark Twain
I don't know this quote taken out of context from a man who showed himself to be completely confused about the Christian faith - and no wonder since so many wicked men used Christianity as a shield in doing their wicked deeds in that time of slavery.

From all that I have read of your posts, SH, I can see that you have a very twisted, confused, rhetorical, and incomplete picture of what the Bible has to say about being a Christian. I would recommend that you read the letters of Paul concerning what it is to be a Christian. Maybe you'll get a better picture. Then maybe read the Gospels to get a view of who it is we worship. Once you have a clearer picture of Christ and Christianity, the history leading up to Christ - all of it pointing to Him and the need for Him - will make more sense to you, perhaps.

For TH's sake, I am trying to be kind to you and patient with you. He says that you are young, but a "good kid" and I'll just have to take his word on that.

nicholsmom

You can hold your wedding reception in a McDonald's, but the food is going to be lousy.

As to the rationality of holding out some vague hope for people next in line for the abyss...I suppose it beats disco, but not by much.

:e4e:

:rotfl: :first: classic :rotfl: :king:

nicholsmom

For me it's like missionary work only the message is this.

1) Stop wasting your life submitting to Gods made up by men to control you, your thoughts and your intelligence.

2) Once you are stupid enough to believe this stuff don't take out your gullibility on others like children for example the creation "Museum" and all this intelligent design nonsense.

3) My salvation is none of your business, if your god can't convert me what chance do you have ?

4) Someone has to keep telling you all how dumb you are.

See? This is why I love you, Doogie. You just care so danged much about all of us poor religious slobs :crackup:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
For me it's like missionary work only the message is this.

1) Stop wasting your life submitting to Gods made up by men to control you, your thoughts and your intelligence.

2) Once you are stupid enough to believe this stuff don't take out your gullibility on others like children for example the creation "Museum" and all this intelligent design nonsense.

3) My salvation is none of your business, if your god can't convert me what chance do you have ?

4) Someone has to keep telling you all how dumb you are.

1. The message of Biblical Christianity is that God doesn't control us.
  2. Prove those things wrong then.
  3. God wants you to choose. [see point 1]
  4. How dumb are you?

DoogieTalons

BANNED
Banned
See what I mean Flipper. It is typical of the positive atheist and the Richard Dawkins crowd.

Some people play the race card when incapable of discussion and the positive atheist plays the "yo momma sucks" card.

It is impossible to get past square one with all this card playing going on.
Hey it's not hard to see how stupid it all is. You may think it's a trite argument but... if yo momma sucks, then it's a valid argument to make.

DoogieTalons

BANNED
Banned
The message of Biblical Christianity is that God doesn't control us.
So you threw away your old testament then ?
Prove those things wrong then.
Where to begin ? the flood, babel, age of the universe ect... no matter how many time's it's proved wrong with mountains of supporting evidence you fall back on your faith. So mockery is a much better tactic. Maybe, just maybe if you can fight your cognative dissonance and see with open eyes just how asinine it all is you might lead a better life.
God wants you to choose.
What God ? your god ? what makes your god the right god many gods "want" me to choose and each backed up by thier own texts.

Allah want's you to choose Him Lighthouse why do you choose not to believe in him when his creation is all around you evidence of his being... blah blah blah
How dumb are you?
[/QUOTE]Somewhere between you and stephen hawkins.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
LOL Turn or burn, pathetic that all your God has for us is fear. You still don't see it do you ?
No, because there is more to it than simply that.
If there was a creator, all I could ask of God is "Really, that the best you can do?"
So? You see yourself as a god greater than God.
My imagination is far more creative than every word in the bible. It's so obvious that is was written by superstitious nutters trying to make sense of the crazy world around them.
If you actually understood what you were saying and the implications, you wouldn't be so impressed with yourself. :chuckle:
Adam and Eve LOL
Stupid nonsensical story about God making mistakes.

Noah LOL
Stupid nonsenical story about God regretting his mistakes and compounding those errors with even more mistakes.

Jonah and the whale LOL
Where to start ?

Bable LOL
God geting miffed at his mistakes continuing to annoy him so then pettily makes them talk different languages... whens the amendment to what he's gonna do about all these different lanuages building a space station ?

Soddom and Gammorah LOL
Here rape some daughters not angels !!!

Everything in acts LOL
Some fool thinks he see's god and goes onto write about him for far too many books. If you believe this you may as well also be a mormon, many a clown has believed they speak for God. Why do you believe this one his claims are no less idiotic.
:rotfl: Yes, " ... many a clown has believed they speak for God." In a way, you're one of them.
Want me to go on ?
If you want me to watch you consume yourself with hatred and rage, sure.
If you were to come across the bible and read it on your own without some loony telling you what it means it would be consigned to the bin as a third rate read at best. I might keep it in the loo so I can dip in and out everynow and then for a few laughs.
I'm sure your in-depth scatological studies are quite fascinating.
AND YOU FOLLOW IT !!!:hammer:
:darwinsm: Easy to figure. You believe yourself to be a god and are jealous of the real God. Merely being insulting, irrational and denigrating puts you right up there with the other raving lunatics.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
So you threw away your old testament then ?
I don't need to throw anything away. You just need to learn to read for yourself, instead of going in with bias.

Where to begin ? the flood, babel, age of the universe ect... no matter how many time's it's proved wrong with mountains of supporting evidence you fall back on your faith. So mockery is a much better tactic. Maybe, just maybe if you can fight your cognative dissonance and see with open eyes just how asinine it all is you might lead a better life.
Care to back any of this up?

What God ? your god ? what makes your god the right god many gods "want" me to choose and each backed up by thier own texts.
Are you making the argument that all of them are real?

Allah want's you to choose Him Lighthouse why do you choose not to believe in him when his creation is all around you evidence of his being... blah blah blah
I know he isn't real. What of it?

Somewhere between you and stephen hawkins.
Clearly dumb enough to not know how to spell cognitive, or Hawking.

Egbert

Debate is more acceptable on the internet, generally speaking, so those of us who enjoy it like to take our opinions to the message boards. It's not all about religion; I'd wager most of the atheists active here also post on political forums and the like.

Dr.Watson

You can hold your wedding reception in a McDonald's, but the food is going to be lousy.

As to the rationality of holding out some vague hope for people next in line for the abyss...I suppose it beats disco, but not by much.

Salutations TH

You and I have sparred on this point before. Simply put, the rationality of holding a belief in one thing because you don't like the alternative, is childish. Because an idea of eternal bliss (whatever that means anyways) in an afterlife is more appealing speaks not for its truth. I'm not particularly ecstatic about the idea of my body ceasing to be what it is today, but this won't be cause for me to deny it.

Hope for our children and the human race born from empathy and the instilled biological urge to survive and procreate, is not irrational. Hope, in that sense, is quite logical.

Dr.Watson

The atheist however claims to not believe in a God
Yep. An atheist holds no god belief.
and claims that morality and right and wrong are relative to the individual.
No they don't. I'm surprised that someone who runs and maintains a theology website has such a poor understanding of what atheism is and more importantly, what atheism is not. Having no god belief does not therefore force someone to have rigid views on other separate topics. However, social and biological sciences, and other disciplines that study morality, say that morals are a collective set of values relative to the society and its culture.
Therefore... the atheist cannot make the claim that his understanding is any more right that the Christian's understanding.
Understanding of what? Of god? As an atheist, I have no understanding of such a being. As Christopher Hitchens puts it "it's all white noise to me".

In general, I don't care what others believe. Unless, that is, they tend to have a lot of political power, control and strong feelings about what I believe and the means to treat me accordingly. Unfortunately, I live in a world where more people would vote for a mormon than an atheist as though holding such a belief makes one a superior character. As though such a belief is a virtue.

That, and I also enjoy discussion on various other serious and non-serious topics alike with a variety of different types of people.

Complete rubbish.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...You and I have sparred on this point before. Simply put, the rationality of holding a belief in one thing because you don't like the alternative, is childish.
I agree, which is why it has never been remotely a part of my reasoning on point.

Because an idea of eternal bliss (whatever that means anyways) in an afterlife is more appealing speaks not for its truth.
It looks like you're talking to me, but you aren't. Peculiar.

I'm not particularly ecstatic about the idea of my body ceasing to be what it is today, but this won't be cause for me to deny it.
I should hope not.

Hope for our children and the human race born from empathy and the instilled biological urge to survive and procreate, is not irrational.
It's understandable, but it is unquestionably irrational if you understand there's no chance for another outcome.

Hope, in that sense, is quite logical.
Well, no and for the reason set out prior.

A hopeful atheist is in denial of his own conclusion; a hopeful theist is in accord with his.

The issue being beyond objective settling you make a rather grim choice and a needless one.

Dr.Watson

It's understandable, but it is unquestionably irrational if you understand there's no chance for another outcome.

However, if your philosophical pondering were true, life would be a bust altogether. The goal is not for the individual survival, but for the survival of the species. We are programmed to survive by procreation. This is the way all life is tuned.

Speculation on any kind of afterlife is another matter altogether and it does not hold exclusive ownership of hope in the latter. I'm sure that you prefer it does though. ;)

Anyways, I would hate to derail this thread. Shall we continue this discussion elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.