toldailytopic: Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as Theolog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Had this conversation a while back and a few times with...Stuu possibly. Serious studies by reputable groups. I'll dredge them up if you're interested. I should have pulled and set aside the links, but I didn't think I'd be going into it again. Figures. :chuckle:

Well in that case I'll have to take your word for it. Although whether or not compulsion, a sense of obligation, or simple honest desire is to explain for this is an interesting question.

I'd say a community of faith does foster greater happiness for most people and for the reasons you'd expect, even absent the underlying contention.

Well sure; it's a built-in social network, but you can find that outside of a temple or church.

In order: agreed, most everyone (though it's a matter of finding the right community of faith), wrong community. Only sociopaths were meant to live apart. The rest of us are formed, by nature or by God, to groom and coo and help and encourage one another.

By system I meant organized religion. We are social animals, I know that. I just question whether or not inherent "happiness" is to be found within the framework of organized religion (although even if this is so you could argue it's the kind of ersatz "happiness" found by accolytes or addicts of many stripes).

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Because Christian forums and in particular TOL are a whole lot more interesting than atheist forums.

A typical thread on an atheist forum goes something like this:

Post 1: Christians are stupid!
Post 2: Yeah! Totally ignorant!
Post 3: Christians are just so {bleeping} stupid!
Post 4: Yeah!
Post 5: Yeah!
Post 6: Yeah

And that is about the end of it.

Here though, There is such diversity in the Christian walk that we have very spirited discussion on all manor of subjects. Young earth vs. old earth. Old Covenant Law vs. New Covenant Law. Water Baptism vs. Sprinkling. Calvinism vs. Universalism.

I think atheists spend so much time on Christian forums because their own forums are just so dang boring!

salumiere

Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as TheologyOnline?

Deep down I think we're all scared spitless that we might be **wrong and if we can somehow dominate others with our line of logic and reasoning, we'll get that magic 'Ticket to Heaven'!!!!

**The ones who insist they're right and want to argue about it are the most scared. Just watch the comments that follow....

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I spend more time on this forum than I do on Atheist forums because my own views are less well received on Atheists forums.

Last edited:

rexlunae

Deep down I think we're all scared spitless that we might be **wrong and if we can somehow dominate others with our line of logic and reasoning, we'll get that magic 'Ticket to Heaven'!!!!

**The ones who insist they're right and want to argue about it are the most scared. Just watch the comments that follow....

Very convincing, coming from a complete newb.

Granite

Hall of Fame

I come here for entertainment.

And for the two dollar drafts.

ragTagblues

I actually came here by accident, I needed some information on the issues surrounding abortion and ToL was the top of the list. I liked the atmosphere and signed up.

Why I stay? I really enjoy the people here.

Last edited:

bybee

And We,

And We,

I actually came here by accident, I need some information on the issues surrounding abortion and ToL was the top of the list. I liked the atmosphere and signed up.

Why I stay? I really enjoy the people here.

And we enjoy having you here.
Blessings

Nydhogg

I have no idea what you mean by this. I've interacted with many moral nihilists and outright anarchists that still operate by behavioural constraint and a code of conduct.

Anarchism is political, not moral. Many anarchists are NOT moral nihilists. I'm not a moral nihilist, for starters. Most adhere to codes of conduct.

If those moral nihilists hold to a code of morals, their nihilism is mostly philosophical, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.