toldailytopic: Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as Theolog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 13th, 2010 12:28 PM

toldailytopic: Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as TheologyOnline?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Missionary work?
And what would the mission accomplish?

I can understand Christians attempting to convert atheists because a Christian believes that the conversion will save the soul of the atheist.

The atheist however claims to not believe in a God and claims that morality and right and wrong are relative to the individual. Therefore... the atheist cannot make the claim that his understanding is any more right that the Christian's understanding.

I think that if a person were truly an atheist he wouldn't care what other people believe and he wouldn't waste any time of forums such as TOL.

The truth is... all atheists inherently know God exists and they participate here and other places like TOL because they are trying to convince themselves one way or the other. They seek reassurance that they can never satisfy (as an atheist that is). They have an internal battle to fight between what the know to be true but never let on (a god exists), and what they present themselves as believing (that no god exists).

Therefore... atheists participate on TOL because deep down inside they know they are wrong.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame

I can understand Christians attempting to convert atheists because a Christian believes that the conversion will save the soul of the atheist.

The atheist however claims to not believe in a God and claims that morality and right and wrong are relative to the individual. Therefore... the atheist cannot make the claim that his understanding is any more right that the Christian's understanding.

I think that if a person were truly an atheist he wouldn't care what other people believe and he wouldn't waste any time of forums such as TOL.

The truth is... all atheists inherently know God exists and they participate here and other places like TOL because they are trying to convince themselves one way or the other. They seek reassurance that they can never satisfy (as an atheist). They have an internal battle to fight between what the know to be true but never let on (a god exists), and what they present themselves as believing (that no god exists).

Therefore... atheists participate on TOL because deep down inside they know they are wrong.

Ummm, no.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I rest my case.

There’s not much to elaborate, boss. I’m here because I get a kick out of TOL and it amuses and edifies me (it also, dare I say it, informs me). There are many people here whose opinions I value, and whose friendship or acquaintance I respect. I enjoy discussing and debating various topics up to and including politics and religion—and thus far, TOL’s the best place on the web I’ve found to do so. Not to kiss your toes, Knight, but you run a very decent operation.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ummm because I enjoy discussing controversial issues, and it makes no sense to discuss them with people who believe exactly as I do.

What can be gained on a forum where everyone says "I agree with you" after every post?

I enjoy having my beliefs challenged ... oh, and I kinda like the people here also! Most of them ... :eek:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Being of the Reformed faith, I believe each and every atheist arrives at TOL due to the hand of God.

Here, their souls are tested.

For here, they not only are exposed to the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ, but they are also exposed to all kinds of human error.

In a way, all of us at TOL are being tested . . . and judged according to either our faith in God, or for our unbelief in God.

It kinda scares me sometimes when I witness the persistent unbelief of the atheists, in the face of divine revelation, for I know it further hardens their hearts and further condemns them in their unbelief.

So I pray for all of us, that God might have great mercy on us all, and send His Spirit to guide TOL members into all truth. Might God not have to execute justice upon any of us for ignoring the light He has shone upon us.

Nang

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Why do atheists spend so much time on Christian forums such as TheologyOnline?

Well it's not for the free ponies, I can tell you that much. :mmph:

Paulos

Ummm because I enjoy discussing controversial issues, and it makes no sense to discuss them with people who believe exactly as I do.

What can be gained on a forum where everyone says "I agree with you" after every post?

I enjoy having my beliefs challenged ... oh, and I kinda like the people here also! Most of them ... :eek:

Good points. Whenever I discuss things with people who agree with me, we both tend to assume that our opinions are correct, but debate motivates me to do some actual research in order to prove that my point of view is accurate. Often I do prove my case (at least to my own satisfaction), but sometimes I do research to prove my case only to realize that my point of view was skewed or completely wrong. Either way, I end up getting a clearer understanding of the truth than I would have otherwise, so I actually have to thank people I disagree with for making that happen.

Consider this analogy: Atheists are to faith what resistance training is to muscles. Atheists can actually benefit our faith in that they challenge us to examine what we believe and why we believe it. Examining our own faith causes us to develop a clearer understanding of our faith, and this enables us to respond accordingly (Colossians 4:5-6). Socrates once said, "The unexamined life is not worth living." Perhaps it can also be said that the unexamined faith is not worth believing.

bybee

Well

Well

Being of the Reformed faith, I believe each and every atheist arrives at TOL due to the hand of God.

Here, their souls are tested.

For here, they not only are exposed to the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ, but they are also exposed to all kinds of human error.

In a way, all of us at TOL are being tested . . . and judged according to either our faith in God, or for our unbelief in God.

It kinda scares me sometimes when I witness the persistent unbelief of the atheists, in the face of divine revelation, for I know it further hardens their hearts and further condemns them in their unbelief.

So I pray for all of us, that God might have great mercy on us all, and send His Spirit to guide TOL members into all truth. Might God not have to execute justice upon any of us for ignoring the light He has shone upon us.

Nang

I was thinking along the same lines. I'm glad that you responded because you said it so beautifully!
Blessings, bybee

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Granite has two demons. Their names are Andy and William.

Quincy

I was introduced to the site by a former Christian friend of mine because I was looking to understand religions. She doesn't seem to post anymore though. Then I got addicted to arguing with people and when I realized I was addicted to it I left for awhile. That's just my personality, I'm prone to addictions moreso than most.

Once I got over it, I came back and I hang around and contribute casually more from a voyeuristic reason. People seem to say what they are really thinking when there is anonymity involved unlike with a face to face conversation.

Silent Hunter

Mission? It’s a small town in south Texas, birthplace of Tom Landry.

As with Christians there is no “soul” to save. This is it buster.

The atheist however claims to not believe in a God and claims that morality and right and wrong are relative to the individual.
That’s not entirely correct. Morals are relative to the society in which they exist. I.e. morals exist because they are of benefit to society.

Therefore... the atheist cannot make the claim that his understanding is any more right that the Christian's understanding.
The atheist’s advantage is he/she doesn’t need a “revelation” to make moral distinctions.

One man's murderer is another man's freedom fighter.

We don’t so much “care” as wonder “why” Christians waste so much of their time on what are essentially fairy tales.

The truth is... all atheists inherently know God exists and they participate here and other places like TOL because they are trying to convince themselves one way or the other. They seek reassurance that they can never satisfy (as an atheist). They have an internal battle to fight between what the(y) know to be true but never let on (a god exists), and what they present themselves as believing (that no god exists).

:confused:

:think:

:rotfl:

Skavau

Knight said:
There is no prerequesite to atheism that insists upon cultural relativism. Such notions of relativism are primarily consequences, and byproducts of a misunderstanding of multiculturalism. It is not, and has never been directly or even remotely linked to atheism.

Most atheists don't. If almost every single atheist and non-religious individual across the world was to be as you assume, then every single Christian board would be overwhelmed. The atheists that you encounter on Christian boards, or indeed any religious board are minorities. They are anti-theists, anti-religious individuals. They are not the standard run of the mill apathetic atheist.

Just like how your evangelist is not your average Christian.

The truth is... all atheists inherently know God exists and they participate here and other places like TOL because they are trying to convince themselves one way or the other. They seek reassurance that they can never satisfy (as an atheist). They have an internal battle to fight between what the know to be true but never let on (a god exists), and what they present themselves as believing (that no god exists).
Except none of that is true. What is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

ragTagblues

There’s not much to elaborate, boss. I’m here because I get a kick out of TOL and it amuses and edifies me (it also, dare I say it, informs me). There are many people here whose opinions I value, and whose friendship or acquaintance I respect. I enjoy discussing and debating various topics up to and including politics and religion—and thus far, TOL’s the best place on the web I’ve found to do so. Not to kiss your toes, Knight, but you run a very decent operation.

What he said . . . .

To be fair I do get a kick from hitting a nerve with CERTAIN people on this site as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.