toldailytopic: Where should TOL go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I think TOL has come along rather nicely over the years and things have certainly improved overtime. As far improvements and new ideas go, here are couple I can think of:

- More sub-forums: I think it would be nice to open up some more sub-forums to better store and classify threads. The "...and The Rest" forum could have sub-forums for things like music, movies, games, science, etc and the religion forum could be divided into sub-forums as well and include things like the safe havens recommended previously.

I don't like this idea. The main reason I even bother with TOL (aside from the fact that I rather like associating with you guys) is its streamlined simplicity. A multitude of sub-fora would be difficult to nagivate.

Social Groups: I know we have this already, but they could be brought a bit more into the foreground to make them seem more relevant and encourage people to participate in them. Adding notifications via email or the User CP of new posts in the groups and the option to customize their look would be nice as well.

To be honest, I never understood the "social group" thing in the first place. Isn't that what a forum is? :freak:

TOL Arcade: A section with mini games and user rankings. I have seen it implemented on several forums and the members seem to enjoy it.

I'm wanting to say that TOL had this before as a members-only feature.

TOL Marketplace: A place for members to put items for sale and for other members to comment about or buy them. It could include pictures of the item and a brief description with the price.

That seems redundant. We already have stuff like craigslist, half.com, ebay, etc. If you wanted to sell something directly to a user, you either could just set up a thread with shipping details, pm a user directly, or set up a thread with a link to one of the aforementioned external sites.

A Library: Also have seen this implemented in other sites, either in the form of a section or a whole forum. The idea with it is to store material on any given subject in the form of articles or electronic books for easy search and reference or just to share information with others. It could have sub-forums or sections with specific categories.

And you'd want me to stock it, I imagine? :noid:

Forum Styles: I think it would be nice to have some additional forum styles.

Man up, Evo! :sozo2:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
- TOL Arcade: A section with mini games and user rankings. I have seen it implemented on several forums and the members seem to enjoy it.

There was a time when TOL did have an arcade. I forget why it was taken off. It might be at the other forum - artofsmack. Not sure.

The 3D Pong game was awesome. :banana:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
- More sub-forums: I think it would be nice to open up some more sub-forums to better store and classify threads. The "...and The Rest" forum could have sub-forums for things like music, movies, games, science, etc and the religion forum could be divided into sub-forums as well and include things like the safe havens recommended previously.
I like the streamlined style of TOL, only a few sections, but as I said in my previous post, a science forum could work.

- A Library: Also have seen this implemented in other sites, either in the form of a section or a whole forum. The idea with it is to store material on any given subject in the form of articles or electronic books for easy search and reference or just to share information with others. It could have sub-forums or sections with specific categories.

That idea has potential. :up:

Evoken

I don't like this idea. The main reason I even bother with TOL (aside from the fact that I rather like associating with you guys) is its streamlined simplicity. A multitude of sub-fora would be difficult to nagivate.

The idea of the sub-forums as I said is "to better store and classify threads", if you want an easy way to navigate the forums and find threads, just use the Active Threads and New Post buttons. That is what I do, I do not go through sub-forums searching for threads.

That seems redundant. We already have stuff like craigslist, half.com, ebay, etc. If you wanted to sell something directly to a user, you either could just set up a thread with shipping details, pm a user directly, or set up a thread with a link to one of the aforementioned external sites.

The idea is precisely to avoid threads being made for such things. I have seen this feature implemented in a couple of forum and while it doen't turns into an eBay, it works. It also contributes to establishing better relationships between the members of TOL.

And you'd want me to stock it, I imagine? :noid:

If you agree not to post philosophy stuff...sure.

Man up, Evo! :sozo2:

:rolleyes:

Evo

Evoken

I like the streamlined style of TOL, only a few sections, but as I said in my previous post, a science forum could work.

Some forums do go overboard with the amount of sections or sub-forums they have, but I think that TOL could use a couple of additional sub-forums. Not much, just a few broad categories.

Evo

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
The idea of the sub-forums as I said is "to better store and classify threads", if you want an easy way to navigate the forums and find threads, just use the Active Threads and New Post buttons. That is what I do, I do not go through sub-forums searching for threads.

"We should have sub-fora, but I don't intend to use them"? :freak:

The idea is precisely to avoid threads being made for such things. I have seen this feature implemented in a couple of forum and while it doen't turns into an eBay, it works. It also contributes to establishing better relationships between the members of TOL.

You should expand on this. I'm not entirely sure what kind of system there would be for doing that which wouldn't involve the creation of threads.

If you agree not to post philosophy stuff...sure.

:noid:

"This TOL background doesn't match my shoes!"

Gay! :p

rainee

We need more people.

Why in the world would you say that?

Are you saying you don't know you have had plenty of people here?

Or are you saying you need people who won't get offended?

If that is what you meant I understand, but how weird for you to say that after all that has been said just to me! And I have only been here since April.
I'm sure you meant people of a special kind. But shouldn't you say that if that is what you meant.
Like Rusha was talking about in a post somewhere, you can't say you just want people.

Anyway I fear you would massacre them here, you know that, don't you?
You must know that?

Look at this thread.

I didn't post until a newbie made about four posts to up his number count.
But I did post to try to tell what oldies could do to make themselves
better to take, easier to like.

And the oldies here acted - I bet - just like they always have.
Yes?
Unforgivable.

Thunder's Muse

Why in the world would you say that?

Are you saying you don't know you have had plenty of people here?

Or are you saying you need people who won't get offended?

If that is what you meant I understand, but how weird for you to say that after all that has been said just to me! And I have only been here since April.
I'm sure you meant people of a special kind. But shouldn't you say that if that is what you meant.
Like Rusha was talking about in a post somewhere, you can't say you just want people.

Anyway I fear you would massacre them here, you know that, don't you?
You must know that?

Look at this thread.

I didn't post until a newbie made about four posts to up his number count.
But I did post to try to tell what oldies could do to make themselves
better to take, easier to like.

And the oldies here acted - I bet - just like they always have.
Yes?
Unforgivable.

:plain:

Actually, I don't think fool was talking about you at all.

It was probably more to do with having say, 37 members and 110 guests online, for example...those guests should sign up.

Paranoid, much?

rainee

Mr Knight,

If I understand correctly something is supposed to happen, soon, right?

You are supposed to come and ban me somehow, aren't you?

What happens?

The one who is usually in my shoes - what do they do?

They get ganged up on, they get insulted, then what??

What do I say?

That you are dark to let TH talk to me as he has?

That he should be rebuked?
That he should have apologized and NEVER said what he about SD?
That he was a lowlife for doing so?

That I can't tell if the hypocrites here are really without intelligence or conscience?

Ok.

I'm ready.

I'm kind of excited at what it will be like.
I would like to know kind of vicariously what it has been like for some others. Of course some of them were really hurt by these goons.

C'mon Knight.

Where is the deep dark hole of banning?
It is alright.

Make my stay not completely gross, give me a ride.
Won't you show me some power?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Ha...haha. Maybe Knight should add the Pauline prohibition to the TOL terms of service, and make it against TOL rules for women to write anything. :chuckle:

rainee

Ha...haha. Maybe Knight should add the Pauline prohibition to the TOL terms of service, and make it against TOL rules for women to write anything. :chuckle:

What ever works for you, Knight.
Do it.

Look at me - all this and I've never been banned

Status
Not open for further replies.