toldailytopic: What do you think of certain cold medicines having to be purchased at

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Good for you.

Yet unlike you... I like to know that the inconveniences that the government impose on me are actually having some type of positive effect. Frankly I prefer to skip the "feel good" crap that is a pure waste of time.

How "inconvenient" is it really to have to ask a pharmacist to hand you a package of medication?

Does that inconvenience actually stop the making of meth? I doubt it. One thing it does do is raise awareness in a humane way.

If you were to execute every meth cooker I doubt that would do much for humanity. They would continue to cook it and IMO the overall moral compass of humans would suffer.

Alate_One

Lets see.... I can't buy a decongestant at the grocery store unless I show my Driver's license, yet I can vote for the President of the United States without any identification whatsoever. Makes perfect sense. :doh:

One is a constitutionally guaranteed right, the other is . . . a convenience.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
:AMR:

Okay, wait...I don't know what to disagree with first.
How "inconvenient" is it really to have to ask a pharmacist to hand you a package of medication?

Does that inconvenience actually stop the making of meth? I doubt it.
I even disagree that this 'inconvenience' doesn't stop meth production. I think it does make it more inconvenient for meth producers and dealers. I'm sure it has even stopped some. Just not much and certainly not enough to even pretend to reduce meth production in light of its increased popularity over the years. What I think is that it simply isn't effective overall and not nearly as effective as swift, public executions.

One thing it does do is raise awareness in a humane way.
Why is this important enough to warrant the hassle?
If you were to execute every meth cooker I doubt that would do much for humanity. They would continue to cook it...
Do you mean that it wouldn't stop all meth production? Because, if so...of course and so what? If we could arrange for people to automatically burst into flames and explode when they attempt to make meth I'm sure someone somewhere would still try to make it. And among them some would surely succeed in making some before they explode. No law, no matter how harsh, will ever completely eliminate crime. And so...what? Why not make this argument for all laws that fail to completely eradicate the crimes they address. Because, you know, that'd be all of them.

Or do you mean putting people to death, publicly, for making or selling meth wouldn't even reduce meth production? Because I honestly can't believe you mean that either. That's ludicrous. You can argue it wouldn't reduce it enough to warrant the death penalty and certainly not a public death penalty...but I can't believe you're arguing it'd have no or even little effect.
...and IMO the overall moral compass of humans would suffer.
How much death and suffering is one meth supplier responsible for? How much one dealer? How exactly is taking the responsibility of putting that one person to death rather than more comfortably suffering all those other deaths because they're more distantly removed going to swing the moral compass of humanity any direction but decidedly to the better?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
It should be a constitutional right to purchase what you like without being molested by the federal government.

What we're talking about here doesn't amount to that big of an inconvenience. If it helps just a little I'm for it. It's not like they're asking us to get toilet paper from the pharmacist.

Alate_One

It isn't a constitutionally guaranteed right to vote multiple times under different names.

In person voter fraud is virtually non-existent.

Since the year 2000 there have been 10 incidents in which in-person voter impersonation occurred.

That means in a 12 year period we have 10 illegal votes. Even if the numbers were unreported by a factor of 10, it's nothing compared to the millions of voters in a single election cycle that could be prevented from voting by not having ID.

Washington Post article

Voter ID is nothing more than a partisan attempt to make voting more difficult for people that are likely to vote democratic.

Alate_One

Give us an effective method then. So we can match your criteria of "effective" against reality.

Begin an ad campaign that shows what Meth does to people, like the ones we used to have. Show it in schools. The premature, rapid aging, loss of teeth etc. It's not something anyone would want for themselves.

Meth01.jpg

If there's no demand people won't cook the stuff. But it's unlikely that you'll ever get rid of it completely, like pretty much any other drug. But a scientifically based and tested campaign against drug use can help. It's a public health problem and needs to be addressed as such.

Limiting access to Meth ingredients, while imperfect, is a helpful strategy.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
What next? Will selling pots and pans be regulated because meth cookers use them to cook meth?
Or beakers, Bunsen burners, measuring cups, sieves, rubber tubing and stops, graduated cylinders, etc.

I was more going for "what can lawmakers do?"

DP for anyone who does anything illegal ever would sure cut crime. But... it's ridiculous and unrealistic and therefor kinda pointless to discuss if you actually want to stop crime.
DP for any crime is immoral and unethical. A crime should only receive capital punishment if it is truly deserved.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
In person voter fraud is virtually non-existent.

Since the year 2000 there have been 10 incidents in which in-person voter impersonation occurred.

That means in a 12 year period we have 10 illegal votes. Even if the numbers were unreported by a factor of 10, it's nothing compared to the millions of voters in a single election cycle that could be prevented from voting by not having ID.

Washington Post article

Voter ID is nothing more than a partisan attempt to make voting more difficult for people that are likely to vote democratic.

That isn't anything like what I have heard about voter fraud.

In florida in 2009:
In September, 11 ACORN workers were accused of forging voter registration applications in Miami-Dade County during the last election. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the state attorney’s office scoured hundreds of suspicious applications provided by ACORN and found 197 of 260 contained personal ID information that did not match any living person.

Indiana 2008:
Election officials in Indiana have thrown out more than 4,000 ACORN-submitted voter registrations after finding they had identical handwriting and included the names of many deceased Indianans, and even the name of a fast food restaurant.

Missouri 2008:
Nearly 400 ACORN-submitted registrations in Kansas City have been rejected due to duplication or fake information.

Alate_One

Or beakers, Bunsen burners, measuring cups, sieves, rubber tubing and stops, graduated cylinders, etc.
Don't be a moron. Any of those things can be improvised from almost anything. What's the limiting factor for meth?

You MUST have one of a handful of precursor molecules to synthesize Methamphetamine. Pseudoephedrine and ephedrine are the few that are still easily available to the general public.

So, it's pretty obvious what you should control.

Alate_One

That isn't anything like what I have heard about voter fraud.

In florida in 2009:
In September, 11 ACORN workers were accused of forging voter registration applications in Miami-Dade County during the last election. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the state attorney’s office scoured hundreds of suspicious applications provided by ACORN and found 197 of 260 contained personal ID information that did not match any living person.
Okay, so what? Did any of these messed up registrations result in real people showing up to vote under these fake names? No? I didn't think so.

And all of the problems you list aren't problems on election day, they're problems with registration, which is a whole different issue. And besides, they were caught before they even got into the list.

To actually make a difference in an election by having people vote multiple times would be a nightmare, and darn near impossible which is why if someone wanted to *actually* alter an election's outcome they'd do things like Republican election officials have proposed. For example, having different voting hours for different districts based on which party they tended to vote for (longer for Republican districts, Shorter for democratic ones).

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What do you think of certain cold medicines having to be purchased at the pharmacy rather than over the counter due growing drug problems?

Ridiculous ...

Layla

You people are bonkers. The death penalty is a pretty contested subject even for murder and such, you think the idea of executing drug dealers is a useful or serious one? I am actually laughing aloud at the complete ridiculousness of some of you people.

Layla

OMG DRUGS ARE BAD!?!?! DON'T TRY AND STOP THE DEALERS IF IT MAKES ME WAIT IN LINE THO. JUST KILL THEM INSTEAD PLZ.

Insanity.

This Charming Manc

Kill, death, maim, torture, punish, slaughter, judge, condemn,

Are you sure you know Jesus ?

Meth dealers and meth "cookers" should be swiftly put to death.

That would end the epidemic instantly.

What next? Will selling pots and pans be regulated because meth cookers use them to cook meth?