toldailytopic: What do you think of certain cold medicines having to be purchased at

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
But nevermind. I guess we could just continue freely selling components of meth to whoever wants it just so you don't have to wait in line. Makes perfect sense.
Uh... you might want to think this through a bit more.

Ask yourself... has the meth problem in this country gotten worse or better now that the grocery sells decongestants as if they were a controlled substance???

It's worse!! The meth problem in the states is now at a fevered pitch! You can't swing a dead cat without seeing a story in the news about meth labs. Everywhere you look there is a anti-meth billboard or advertisement. My brother is cop and busting meth labs is something they do almost constantly now.

Asking for an ID for Pseudoephedrine has been going on for years now. And it isn't helping.

Shouldn't we be interested in results??? Shouldn't we want laws and ordinances that actually help?? Or do you liberals just want to feel good about the crap you impose on society?

Layla

Uh... you might want to think this through a bit more.

Ask yourself... has the meth problem in this country gotten worse or better now that the grocery sells decongestants as if they were a controlled substance???

It's worse!! The meth problem in the states is now at a fevered pitch! You can't swing a dead cat without seeing a story in the news about meth labs. Everywhere you look there is a anti-meth billboard or advertisement. My brother is cop and busting meth labs is something they do almost constantly now.

Asking for an ID for Pseudoephedrine has been going on for years now. And it isn't helping.

Shouldn't we be interested in results??? Shouldn't we want laws and ordinances that actually help?? Or do you liberals just want to feel good about the crap you impose on society?

What do you think is making it worse? Do you think it is actually worse, or is just something that the government is starting or trying to crack down harder on? Do you think that IDing people for drugs is contributing to it being worse? Not sure how that would work.

FYI, I'm not an American liberal and have no control over your society, so don't hang up this imposition on me... :IA:

noguru

An intrusion? Really? Showing ID to buy drugs is an intrusion? Classification of drugs is based on the harm they can do and the possibility for drug abuse. Narcotics, morphine, etc, are precription because they can also be used recreationally. Decongestants are a component needed to make another recreational drug - meth, so it is perfectly sensible to have some control over who can buy them. Would you like narcotics to be sold over the counter too? Sure, some naughty people abuse them, but there are good people who just need them for pain, and why should they be intruded on so?

I am not disagreeing with your point. I am just looking back to when I had allergies and being honest about how I feel the change of law would effect me if I still had allergies.

I don't know what this has to do with the topic, but ok.

I was trying to point out the harm done in regard to intensity and frequency. I think it is one of the worst drugs in this regard, and I think that should be considered in how things are handled in regard to repeat offenders.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What do you think is making it worse?
That's another topic. But what we do know is... making grandma stand in line at the Pharmacy to buy Sudafed isn't helping in any way shape or form.

In fact... if we were to just examine the raw facts we would have to deduce it's making the problem worse.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
After the Oklahoma City bombing Wal-Mart and other retailers were requiring a photo ID to buy duct tape. Thankfully I believe that one has past.

And no.... I'm not kidding.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That makes no sense at all, but alright.
Of course it doesn't make sense. But the facts are that the meth problem is increasing even though we all need to show our ID at the pharmacy just to buy it.

All I am saying is... it's not helping so why continue to do it?

noguru

What do you think is making it worse? Do you think it is actually worse, or is just something that the government is starting or trying to crack down harder on? Do you think that IDing people for drugs is contributing to it being worse? Not sure how that would work.

FYI, I'm not an American liberal and have no control over your society, so don't hang up this imposition on me... :IA:

The cooks and users are now forming coalitions where certain users go in to purchase the medicine then give it to the cook. Cooks and dealers should be punished more harshly than simple users. But now simple users are now basically more seduced into being involved with the manufacture. This is only compounding the problem.

Layla

Of course it doesn't make sense. But the facts are that the meth problem is increasing even though we all need to show our ID at the pharmacy just to buy it.

All I am saying is... it's not helping so why continue to do it?

How do you know it is not helping? How do you know that the increase would not have been steeper without this intervention?

Layla

The cooks and users are now forming coalitions where certain users go in to purchase the medicine then give it to the cook. Cooks and dealers should be punished more harshly than simple users. But now simple users are now basically more seduced into being involved with the manufacture. This is only compounding the problem.

What? How are they more seduced into being more involved in manufacture by the necessity of ID to buy drugs? That makes no sense that I can see.

Layla

How do you think we should gauge whether or not a policy is working?

I'm not sure, really. Your suggestion of some kind of program would be useful. If they are checking ID, what are they actually checking for at present? Do they record the names of those who buy, in order to weed out multiple purchasers? Or is the fact that you have to present ID supposed to be a deterrent in itself? If it's the latter, it definitely needs some tweaking to the system.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 23rd, 2012 12:26 PM

toldailytopic: What do you think of certain cold medicines having to be purchased at the pharmacy rather than over the counter due growing drug problems?

I think it's absurd. People have become so stupid these days that they have to be treated like toddlers. Lock away the cold meds or folks will gulp them down like candy. Goes to show what happens when you take God out of schools and society.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Suggesting execution is just silly. I mean... it isn't going to happen. Flat out won't happen. To the extent where it's a completely pointless hypothetical suggestion. Killing all meth producers and drug users would indeed reduce the illegal drug market... but it just is never going to happen. So let's try to stick with reality, and what we can actually do to reduce illegal drug production/use.
If it never happens it's because the majority is more comfortable with meth than with justice.

noguru

I'm not sure, really. Your suggestion of some kind of program would be useful. If they are checking ID, what are they actually checking for at present? Do they record the names of those who buy, in order to weed out multiple purchasers? Or is the fact that you have to present ID supposed to be a deterrent in itself? If it's the latter, it definitely needs some tweaking to the system.

When I wrote the DEA reports for pharmacies law enforcement's goal was to flag excessive sales. In some states there already is a limit to how much of the medicine any one person can purchase in a month. This is an attempt to follow a different strategy, one that limits purchase based on a projected need for any individual in a month. A person can also get a prescription from their Dr. if they are exceeding the limit. I know that when I had allergies as a younger person I would have been approaching those limits if not exceeding them, especially if I also had to purchase for a relative or friend who could not make it to the store as well. Any way you slice it law abiding citizens are the ones who are experiencing the most difficulty, for their role in this, in regard to such laws.

noguru

I just love it when knee jerk right meets knee jerk left.

You guys would never decide on anything effective if it were not for the middle, and then blame the other side for the failure.

:shut:

Layla

If it never happens it's because the majority is more comfortable with meth than with justice.

Regardless... the point is that it is never going to happen, and illegal drug production and use are still problems that need some sort of realistic solution.

Layla

Any way you slice it law abiding citizens are the ones who are experiencing the most difficulty, for their role in this, in regard to such laws.

Well, no... law abiding citizens are experiencing mild inconvenience.

Layla

I just love it when knee jerk right meets knee jerk left.

You guys would never decide on anything effective if it were not for the middle, and then blame the other side for the failure.

:shut:

I'm not left. I'm closer to the middle. I just want to be realistic here. I'm not even anti death penalty, I just think it's pointless going on and on about it as a solution when practically speaking it just isn't going to happen.