toldailytopic: What do you think of certain cold medicines having to be purchased at

sky.

BANNED
Banned
You know, if you guys really are comfortable with dismissing me as some kind of homicidal for advocating the death penalty, then I'm comfortable with accepting that as your conceding the argument.

So far as I have known you online. You are an advocate of the death penalty for such sins as;

Drug Pushers
Homosexual practices
Adultery

I don't know any Christians who advocate for the death penalty except for what is commanded in the Noahic Covenant the basis for human government. Genesis 9:1-17

-----------------------

Capital punishment for the shedding of blood.

-----------------------------

Genesis 9:5-6

5 Surely for your lifeblood I will demand a reckoning; from the hand of every beast I will require it, and from the hand of man. From the hand of every man’s brother I will require the life of man.

6 “Whoever sheds man’s blood,

By man his blood shall be shed;

For in the image of God

He made man.

----------------------------

The "everlasting covenant". Isaiah 24:5-6

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I'm not conceding anything of the sort. You have not demonstrated that such illegal actions are best solved using the death penalty. It may eliminate many of the lives of people who would do such a thing, but is that our goal as a society?

And I would even be willing to consider the death penalty for second or third offense drug manufacturing and/or sales. But that would only be the case if one could prove a flagrant disregard for human life. The same could also be said for bartenders who serve their patrons to a point of obvious intoxication, however. Of course a bartender can't know who is or who is not driving amongst all their patrons. As you see we are getting into many grey areas here, and the previous legal precedent in the US has been pretty good at ironing all this out without resorting to a death penalty for things other than murder. In my opinion rape and pedophilia should be on that list of capital offenses before drug use.
And yet, if I were to argue against you on any of those points, it would never occur to me to argue you just want to kill people because you support the death penalty in what cases you do. Or to claim that your answer to everything it to kill people. Or that you'd rather shoot first and ask questions later. Or however else me and those who share my position have been characterized, in lieu of rational argument.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
It depends on who you trust.

Romans 12:19

Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.

Romans 12:17-21; 13: 1-7
17 Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 Therefore

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
If he is thirsty, give him a drink;
For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. 5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing. 7 Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.

Romans 12:17-21 and Romans 13: 17 aren't from different books. They're from the same book. Nor do they discuss two different subjects. The one leads directly into the other.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
So far as I have known you online. You are an advocate of the death penalty for such sins as;

Drug Pushers
Homosexual practices
Adultery

I don't know any Christians who advocate for the death penalty except for what is commanded in the Noahic Covenant the basis for human government. Genesis 9:1-17

-----------------------

Capital punishment for the shedding of blood.

-----------------------------

Genesis 9:5-6

5 Surely for your lifeblood I will demand a reckoning; from the hand of every beast I will require it, and from the hand of man. From the hand of every man’s brother I will require the life of man.

6 “Whoever sheds man’s blood,

By man his blood shall be shed;

For in the image of God

He made man.

----------------------------

The "everlasting covenant". Isaiah 24:5-6

If you can't see that drug pushers are guilty of the harm they do, then I don't know what to say to you. I support the death penalty here precisely because it is murder and negligent homicide, both capital crimes in the Mosaic law. Just as homosexual sex and adultery are. And rape. And kidnapping. Etc.

Ignoring that and pointing instead to what most Christians you know support isn't a very good argument. And certainly no defense for arguing against my position via clumsy character assassination.

noguru

And yet, if I were to argue against you on any of those points, it would never occur to me to argue you just want to kill people because you support the death penalty in what cases you do. Or to claim that your answer to everything it to kill people. Or that you'd rather shoot first and ask questions later. Or however else me and those who share my position have been characterized.

Although the thought (that you propose the death penalty because you want to kill people who offend you) has crossed my mind, I have been a little more thoughtful in that regard by looking into your posts and what you are saying more thoroughly. I do however think your tendency is to shoot first and ask questions latter (though that was more tongue in cheek and based on your argument style rather than your possible agenda for capital punishment). And that is only because you have not offered any clear reasoning for why you think the death penalty is the best solution for drug use. Would you give me your reasoning for that now?

If you remember accurately this recent discussion with me stemmed from me claiming that your want the death penalty for homosexuals, drug users, adulterers...because it is part of OT law. You were in the process of explaining that it is not from OT law that you support such propositions. Can you now please get back to why you do think the death penalty is warranted for such behaviors, as well as your evidence that capital punishment is the best solution for our goals in this regard?

Playing the victim here is not becoming of a woman whose avatar is one person holding off a potentially overpowering crowd.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
If you can't see that drug pushers are guilty of the harm they do, then I don't know what to say to you. I support the death penalty here precisely because it is murder and negligent homicide, both capital crimes in the Mosaic law. Just as homosexual sex and adultery are. And rape. And kidnapping. Etc.

Ignoring that and pointing instead to what most Christians you know support isn't a very good argument. And certainly no defense for arguing against my position via clumsy character assassination.

All I did is point you to the Bible, imagine that! MaryContrary.

Layla

"That's ridiculous and insane" is no better an argument than "that'll never happen." One should bother suggesting a solution because it may well work.

What difference does it make whether it would work or not if it's impossible and impractical in today's society?

Well, I argued the death penalty for meth production and distribution. I think it'd be quite appropriate for you to argue that the death penalty isn't effective and that drugs shouldn't be outlawed in the first place. Those are pretty good reasons not to make meth cooking/selling a capital crime. I'd argue that, if I was on your side of this issue. :idunno:

Not really, seeing as this thread isn't actually about the DP as a deterrent or whether or not drugs should be legal, it's about people who find waiting in line annoying.

That said, if you're abdicating argument...have a nice day then?

Thanks! You too. :)

sky.

BANNED
Banned
It depends on who you trust.

Romans 12:19

Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.

Romans 12:17-21; 13: 1-7
17 Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 Therefore

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
If he is thirsty, give him a drink;
For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. 5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing. 7 Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.

Romans 12:17-21 and Romans 13: 17 aren't from different books. They're from the same book. Nor do they discuss two different subjects. The one leads directly into the other.

That's right MaryContrary. It (you) are on the way...IMO. As it stands the "moral majority" is in your court. Obama-rama.

PureX

Um...those questions represent what you just said.

So...yeah.

You're seriously arguing that? So if some suicidal person asks to borrow my gun so they can blow their head off...and I rent it to them for $100 bucks, take my money and even stand there and watch...I've done nothing wrong?

For realz, dude?

And, while we're at it, where do you come down on gun control? Should every adult be allowed to own an assault rifle? Because, at some point, we have to let the responsibility fall on the gun owner. What point, though?

Hey, you know what? This is a dishonest argument. No one is advocating the death penalty for anything because "I don't like that." If I were here advocating hard labor for drug dealing, or two years in the pen', or even a literal slap on the wrist and a stern talking to...you wouldn't be making this insulting claim.

Explain how executing murderers is going to beget more violence and even escalate it. Yes, seriously.
You've changed the conditions of your 'proposition' to suit your own purposes about a half dozen times in just one post.

I don't think there's anywhere we can go with this.