toldailytopic: TOL Allies and Enemies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 16th, 2012 09:18 AM

toldailytopic: TOL Allies and Enemies.

Isn't it interesting how on TheologyOnline you might have an ally on one topic of debate yet that same ally is also an "enemy" on another topic of debate? Of course when I say enemy I don't necessarily mean a real enemy but just someone you disagree with.

For instance…

Regarding open theism:

Godrulz is my ally yet Jim Hilston is my enemy.

Conversely…

Regarding dispensationalism:

Godrulz becomes my enemy yet Jim Hilston is my ally.

The same two people yet they are both an ally or an enemy depending on the topic at hand.

Here is another one…

Regarding the value of Tim Tebow as an NFL QB:

Town Heretic is an ally and Nick M is an enemy. :)

Conversely…

Regarding the value of liberal governmental policies:

Town Heretic becomes a enemy while Nick M becomes my ally.

I find these sphere's of agreement and their overlap (or lack thereof) very interesting.
:D Tell me about some of your interesting TOL allies and enemies.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Last edited:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Stripe and I are allies concerning mint julip. But we are bitter enemies concerning which meats it should go on.

Buzzword

Doesn't the act of labeling online people as "ally" or "enemy" preclude the ability to have an objective, reasonable, rational discussion with them?

Though ACW apparently wants to be EVERYONE'S enemy, judging by his/her posts.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am allies with TH and AB on most topics, but enemies on the topic of the death penalty ... which they both, to my knowledge, do not support.

(I still like them even though they are wrong)

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here are some interesting ones

Town Heretic is my ally when defending the biblical definition of God and Open Theism. He's my foe in politics.

Nang is my ally when fighting against Non-trins and immorality--basically the major important issues. She's my foe on Calvinism verses Open view.

Rusha is my ally on the abortion issue and the Death Penalty. She's my foe on religion and homosexuality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Letsargue is my ally in that we both think everyone else on TOL are FOOLS ---!
but he is my enemy because he thinks I am a fool too. :(

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Doesn't the act of labeling online people as "ally" or "enemy" preclude the ability to have an objective, reasonable, rational discussion with them?

Though ACW apparently wants to be EVERYONE'S enemy, judging by his/her posts.

Can't you just play along?!

:sigh:

:D

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Horn and I are allies and big fans when it comes to breathing and eating.

Beyond that, I feel a little queasy every time I see one of his posts.

Spitfire

The Horn and I both like classical music.

But, pretty much everything else............................:dizzy:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Meshak and I like food--on everything else it's a different story..

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It isn't so much people, as beliefs. As soon as William stops perverting the gospel, he won't be an enemy.

PureX

I don't really think in terms of "allies" or "enemies". I don't see myself as being at war with anyone just because of their beliefs or opinion. And to be honest, I have some memory difficulties that make it hard for me to keep track of who thinks what around here.

Instead, I tend to just read a post for it's own content and if I respond, I respond only to what I've read in that post. I try not to create "you people" in my mind based on something written in your post (I don't always succeed in this). I know that there's a whole lot more to most of us than what we happen to be writing about here on TOL.

That said, there are a couple of folks that post here who are so single-minded and determined in their point of view that they've become sort of 'avatar entities'. You all know who they are. They turn every thread into a soapbox for their own pet issues. But I mostly just ignore their posts. I figure I already know what it'll say, anyway, as they never say anything else.

I don't think of them as an "enemy", though, I just consider them more as a nuisance.

oatmeal

Without naming names.

Salvation by grace, not works is true.

The trinity is error.

Death is death, the reason for the resurrection is to raise from death.

Abortion is not murder, however it does end the life of a potential human life.

The manifestations of the spirit, I Corinthians 12:7-11 is for all believers to use and enjoy and grow thereby.

I don't actually like oatmeal, even though that is my username.

At least not cooked oatmeal, raw is fine.

oatmeal