toldailytopic: Is it no longer immoral to smoke marijuana now that it is being legali

PureX

Morality and legality have very little to do with each other. It was never immoral to smoke pot, just as it was never immoral to drink alcohol. The legality of these is a civil issue. Not a moral issue.

Agape4Robin

It appears that some confuse terminology in the sense that "use" and "abuse" are interchangeable. Marijuana use is not the same as abuse, unless you use it constantly, or just to "smoke out". No different than using alcohol constantly or getting drunk. I do not like the side effect of alcohol. Even one drink can cause headaches. I have tried to have a glass of wine at night to relax and unwind from a busy, stressful day but even one glass gives me a headache as much as an hour after drinking it. If I drink more than one drink in a social situation, I suffer from a hangover the next day. It is the reason I have quit drinking altogether. I don't use "pills" for any reason. One joint.... even a half joint..... gives me the feeling of relaxation and NO headaches! Even if I smoke more than one joint.....I am free of the negative side effect of a "hangover". Another thing about marijuana........you cannot overdose!! You cannot become addicted!!Unlike opiates, barbituates, amphetamines, alcohol or cigarettes. But as with ANY drug, it has the potential for abuse. There is the potential to act stupid and do dumb things. You should never operate a vehicle while under the influence!! It is the responsibility of every person who uses any controlled substance to USE it responsibly. Anything can be used to excess and it is up to every individual to do so in moderation. ALWAYS have a designated driver when you cannot refrain from using any substance that may impair your ability to drive. "Buzzed" is still impairment and while you believe your motor skills are not affected, rest assured that they are indeed impaired. Be responsible. Do the right thing.
Big "Pharma" and government has waged a war against marijuana for too long and there is research now that exposes the lies of those who have prohibited marijuana for the last 70+ years and we are seeing more evidence that it has benefits in the fight against cancer as well as the side effects caused by the medications used to fight cancer. There is even evidence that it may very well inhibit the spread of some cancers! There are many other uses for marijuana that help to control some conditions without the side effects and complications that pharmaceuticals cause.
I do not advocate the abuse of marijuana, but whole heartedly endorse the use of it in a safe and responsible manner by adults over the age of 21. And it's time for the federal government to repeal the prohibition against it. The people of Colorado and Washington have spoken.... Loud and clear.

jeremysdemo

Yeah, there ought to be a law against that!

I guess Colorado and Washington are the progressive civil rights states now.

Colorado's slogan should be, "protecting peaceful citizens rights since 2012" :)

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Is it no longer immoral to smoke marijuana now that it is being legalized?

Was it immoral simply because it was illegal? Was it moral before it became illegal?

Does legality have such an effect; are there things that would be perfectly moral if they were legal but are immoral because they are illegal? Or what of things that we fully believe to be moral that are not legal; are they now immoral simply because they are illegal?

Of course the answer is that morality and legality have nothing to do with one another.

So the real question is: if it is not immoral to imbibe alcohol as long as one is not a drunkard then is it possible to partake of cannabis without becoming intoxicated? If it is not then it is immoral, whether or not it is legal.

It's still illegal federally (tho maybe that doesn't matter to you states rights types :chuckle: ). If something is against the law (whichever law) it's ultimately immoral since scripture tells us to obey our governing authorities (and pay taxes ;) ).
Actually, Scripture tells us to obey God rather then men, so if the law of the land outlaws perfectly moral behavior, especially that which is asked of us by God [such as speaking out against immorality] then it is not immoral to do so, and thus break the law.

alwight

So the real question is: if it is not immoral to imbibe alcohol as long as one is not a drunkard then is it possible to partake of cannabis without becoming intoxicated? If it is not then it is immoral, whether or not it is legal.
Serious question LH, do you sometimes like to "imbibe" or do you spend all of your time being pious?
Btw I'm drinking a large whisky at the moment.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Is it no longer immoral to smoke marijuana now that it is being legalized?

"Legal" does not = "moral".

It's "legal" to murder an infant in the womb. But it's not "moral".

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I know a few folks who do the same just about every day after work.
It calms them after a stressful day.
I just don't see anything wrong with that.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It falls under drunkeness and nothing else. All things on the earth are for us. It is probably better to take a pill with THC than morphine or perceset.

Recreational use, as they call it, is no more moral because it is legal than Obama's administration members to have commericial sex that is legal in Columbia.

Markseasigh

BANNED
Banned
Turns out it is a christian Drug.... I'm a christian and I'm smoking while I'm... hold on..... writing this sentence. On a Christian forum no less. I'm such a good Christian I'm gonna Even Give A Verse to read....

Psalm 104:14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;

Genesis 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

Genesis 9:3

PS its not immoral to get high... It is Immoral to abuse it and get totally wasted. Smoking large amounts of pot all day long, like I tend to prefer to do.
lol Noah was the first one to get wasted on alcohol when He got off the Ark. Planted a bunch of Grapes and made wine and passed out drunk. So, does this mean that Noah a man that was perfect in his generations isn't going to be in paradise? Of course he is, and so will I. It is not Christian to get drunk or wasted on pot. It is not Immoral because Immoralities are relative to the one Judging those whom they deem Immoral.
I smoke weed.
But that doesn't make me not a Christian.
I'm not gonna go to hell for being drunk or stoned. Even if I'm drunk or high when I die.
It is against the Bible to destroy the temple of God. However the bible never told you to smoke it, it told you to eat it. This does not destroy your body eating it, turns out its kinda good for you.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
In Washington they also legalized gay marriage. Is it not written that if a man shall lie down with another man let them be stoned?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Serious question LH, do you sometimes like to "imbibe" or do you spend all of your time being pious?
Of course I drink alcohol on occasion. I even have half a bottle of Bacardi Oakheart in my freezer.

Turns out it is a christian Drug.... I'm a christian and I'm smoking while I'm... hold on..... writing this sentence. On a Christian forum no less. I'm such a good Christian I'm gonna Even Give A Verse to read....

Psalm 104:14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;

Genesis 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

Genesis 9:3

PS its not immoral to get high... It is Immoral to abuse it and get totally wasted. Smoking large amounts of pot all day long, like I tend to prefer to do.
lol
I'm not gonna go to hell for being drunk or stoned.
It is against the Bible to destroy the temple of God. However the bible never told you to smoke it, it told you to eat it. This does not destroy your body eating it, turns out its kinda good for you.
Not surprised... at all.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not gonna go to hell for being drunk or stoned. Even if I'm drunk or high when I die.

Those of us in the Body of Christ don't disgree. But you should do what is right because it is not helpful to get high for the sake of getting high.