toldailytopic: Is it no longer immoral to smoke marijuana now that it is being legali

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 11th, 2012 10:18 AM

toldailytopic: Is it no longer immoral to smoke marijuana now that it is being legalized?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

jeremysdemo

Is it no longer immoral to smoke marijuana now that it is being legalized?

YEs it is still immoral,

anything that defiles the Temple (our bodies) is sin.

we can take that principle to any level of extreme, as many people of faith have unhealthy habits of consumption and our knowledge about what is good or bad for the body is constantly increasing/changing.

it's up to the Spirit tho, to convict us of sin, John 16:8, not any law or precept of man, in fact mans laws often go against what God has given, in this case every seed bearing plant for food, Genesis 1:29.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Alate_One

It's still illegal federally (tho maybe that doesn't matter to you states rights types :chuckle: ). If something is against the law (whichever law) it's ultimately immoral since scripture tells us to obey our governing authorities (and pay taxes ;) ).

Paulos

No more moral than being drunk .........

I would go a step further and say that alcohol is more immoral, and here are just a few reasons:

• Among violent crimes, the offender is far more likely to have been drinking than under the influence of other drugs
  • 40% of state prisoners convicted of violent crimes were under the influence of alcohol at the time of their offense − the more violent the crime, the greater the likelihood that alcohol was involved
  • Nearly 13,000 people are killed each year on U.S. roadways in alcohol-related accidents

Sources:
http://www.ncadd.org/index.php/learn-about-alcohol/alcohol-and-crime
http://www.alcoholandcrime.org/npamc/issues/alcohol-and-crime/

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 11th, 2012 10:18 AM

toldailytopic: Is it no longer immoral to smoke marijuana now that it is being legalized?

Legalizing the sin of witchcraft--(pharmacopoeia) doesn't change the moral status of it. Escapism through drugs has always been immoral.

The word pharmacopoeia is where we get the word pharmacy, a place that dispenses drugs. I am not speaking against the use of prescriptions to treat illness. I am speaking about the use of drugs for entertainment purposes. Drugs can be use for escapism, just like alcohol can be used this way.

Proverbs 23:30-35 speaks about alcohol used as an escape.

30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
33 Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.
34 Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.
35 They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

Is this moral? In some states such as Nevada--Prostitution is legal. Is that moral? In some states gay marriage is legal. Does that make homosexuality moral? The answer to these questions should be obvious to the Christian. Legalizing the abuse of a drug does not make it any more moral than sexual perversion, fornication or adultery.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Here we go again...

No, it's never been "immoral" to use the stuff, and we're finally coming to our senses after nearly a century of insanity. Small steps.

jeremysdemo

Apparently we have one wiser than Solomon here ^^^Inzl

Proverbs 31:6-7
Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more

Talk about having it totally backwards, the "pharma" is the pills US doctors give people for "illnesses" that cause diseases (they call side effects) in the body.

Herbs are made by God and cure disease when used properly, God said he looked on this and it was Good, yet Inzl has another idea of what is or isn't good.

keep shinin

jeremysdemo

Here we go again...

No, it's never been "immoral" to use the stuff, and we're finally coming to our senses after nearly a century of insanity. Small steps.

you don't consider your body a Temple, so your perspective of what is or isn't immoral is going to be different than those who do.

keep shinin

jeremysdemo

jeremysdemo said:
you don't consider your body a Temple...
Not in the sense that you do. But it's the only flesh suit I got, and I take good care of it.

I can respect that.

let it also be known I think any principle can be taken overboard,

why should a physician not enjoy different foods and pass-times because he knows all of the possible detriments they have to the body while someone else who is in complete ignorance of the dangers frolics through the fields with a saccharin lollypop in one hand and a hand grenade in the other?

why should one person who has a genetic disposition for longevity in their family smoke cigars and chug whiskey for 70 years and still live till they are 92 years old while another 30 year old dies of lung cancer from second hand smoke or near by factory emissions?

I mean we all can walk on eggshells our whole lives, or just accept that death is part of life and no one will live forever, the energy we might waste on worrying about every new health risk we could apply to making the most out of the time we have, which is only NOW, there is no other time to consider....

keep shinin

Lovebug

YEs it is still immoral,

we can take that principle to any level of extreme, as many people of faith have unhealthy habits of consumption and our knowledge about what is good or bad for the body is constantly increasing/changing.

it's up to the Spirit tho, to convict us of sin, John 16:8, not any law or precept of man, in fact mans laws often go against what God has given, in this case every seed bearing plant for food, Genesis 1:29.

keep shinin

:cheers:..you see, even getting 'drunk' is immoral. :eek:

There is nothing wrong with a glass of wine, now and again, however, as long as you do not abuse it. It becomes 'abused' when it is done in over excess, unto drunkeness.

Lovebug

Legalizing the sin of witchcraft--(pharmacopoeia) doesn't change the moral status of it. Escapism through drugs has always been immoral.

The word pharmacopoeia is where we get the word pharmacy, a place that dispenses drugs. I am not speaking against the use of prescriptions to treat illness. I am speaking about the use of drugs for entertainment purposes. Drugs can be use for escapism, just like alcohol can be used this way.

Proverbs 23:30-35 speaks about alcohol used as an escape.

30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
33 Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.
34 Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.
35 They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

Is this moral? In some states such as Nevada--Prostitution is legal. Is that moral? In some states gay marriage is legal. Does that make homosexuality moral? The answer to these questions should be obvious to the Christian. Legalizing the abuse of a drug does not make it any more moral than sexual perversion, fornication or adultery.

Agreed, and basically because the 'law' of men, is not the law of God/Jesus...so no such judging on 'morality' can be done, with the use of man's law.

We need Christ's law for that. (to judge morality)

jeremysdemo

jeremysdemo said:

YEs it is still immoral,

keep shinin

jerm
:cheers:..you see, even getting 'drunk' is immoral. :eek:

There is nothing wrong with a glass of wine, now and again, however, as long as you do not abuse it. It becomes 'abused' when it is done in over excess, unto drunkeness.

that is the beauty of the Spirit of the Law and Grace G, where each man is accountable to the conviction of the Spirit,

I'm sure, and say this with much confidence, those who abuse alcohol whom are believer's filled with the Spirit know in their hearts they are in need of covering, for some (like alcoholics) it is only one drink.

For some it is the Spirit of the Law that saves them from calamity (by them following the Spirit, knowing their limits and drinking responsibly, wanting to please God in Faith Hebrews 11:6) for others it is Grace/Mercy after the Spirit convicts them of their excess.

I think the same could be said for an abuser of marijuana, it's just not healthy to smoke anything, and most people can't claim ignorance on that one, but yet Grace is their for the humble, James 4:6, whom the Spirit convicts of their shortcomings (how else would one get to be humble?) :)

oops...preaching to the choir again,

keep shinin

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

Of course it's not immoral; and when heroin, crack cocaine, LSD, sex with animals and little kiddies is legalized, those Libertarian acts will no longer be immoral either.

Right Aaaaaron?

Lovebug

that is the beauty of the Spirit of the Law and Grace G, where each man is accountable to the conviction of the Spirit,

I'm sure, and say this with much confidence, those who abuse alcohol whom are believer's filled with the Spirit know in their hearts they are in need of covering, for some (like alcoholics) it is only one drink.

For some it is the Spirit of the Law that saves them from calamity (by them following the Spirit, knowing their limits and drinking responsibly, wanting to please God in Faith Hebrews 11:6) for others it is Grace/Mercy after the Spirit convicts them of their excess.

I think the same could be said for an abuser of marijuana, it's just not healthy to smoke anything, and most people can't claim ignorance on that one, but yet Grace is their for the humble, James 4:6, whom the Spirit convicts of their shortcomings (how else would one get to be humble?) :)

oops...preaching to the choir again,

keep shinin

EXCELLENT!