toldailytopic: How do you feel about building a mosque at ground zero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
How do you know "it's infuriating to the terrorists"?

Because their stated goal is to make all Muslims hate the west. And this kind of tolerance gives lie to his claim that Christians are hostile and violently opposed to Muslims.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The intent of the builders is so obvious it is hard to explain why people deny it. The Cordoba Mosque is named after a city in Spain where conquering Moors replaced a church with a mosque. It will be built where a building was destroyed by the landing gear of an attacking terrorist plane. The intent is obvious.

Link

The Cordoba House was supposed to be a monument to religious tolerance, an homage to the city in Spain where Muslims, Jews, and Christians lived together centuries ago in the midst of religious foment. ....

Nick_A

Either the developers are embarrassingly ignorant or they are making a statement of victory. You cannot build a Sharia mosque with the name Cordoba, symbolic of a Muslim victory, on the site where a building was destroyed by the landing gear of an attacking plane and expect people having suffered 911 to think "Oh how wonderful."

Even if their intentions are not political, which I doubt, There is this problem of the golden rule. Any person capable of true compassion would know that they don't inflict their good intentions on another. I have not read anything from the developers that indicate they are even aware of the golden rule. The idea of not wanting to hurt others is completely dominated by the demand for "rights." Not once have I read about Muslim "obligations" concerning 911.

The issue is simple. Those that are ignorant of the Golden Rule demand "rights." Those that are aware of it become aware of their human obligations to the needs of others and would not seek to impose a mosque at the site of an attack by Muslim Terrorist planes. They would just build somewhere else.

This issue reveals those ignorant of "feeling" the Golden Rule..

elohiym

Is it legal to park a house boat there?

Irrelevant. But, yes, it's legal.

My question is whether or not it is wrong, i.e. insensitive to the deceased sailors entombed there.

That only requires a "yes" or "no" answer from you; but I appreciate the levity. :chuckle:

Skavau

Catholics are bigots by tradition.

For the record, I am completely intolerant of Islam and don't believe in "religious freedom."

Religious freedom is the antithesis of the gospel.

How do you think religion ought to be prohibited then? What religion(s)?

zoo22

The intent of the builders is so obvious it is hard to explain why people deny it. The Cordoba Mosque is named after a city in Spain where conquering Moors replaced a church with a mosque. It will be built where a building was destroyed by the landing gear of an attacking terrorist plane. The intent is obvious.

Link

The Cordoba House was supposed to be a monument to religious tolerance, an homage to the city in Spain where Muslims, Jews, and Christians lived together centuries ago in the midst of religious foment. ....

Not to mention that the Great Mosque of Cordoba had been [re]taken over from the Muslims by Christians and to this day is Catholic: The building houses The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption. Oh, I just mentioned it. The last time Cordoba was conquered (during the Reconquista), it was by Christians, and it was the Muslims who were conquered. Now it's a very diverse city. The Great Mosque remains Catholic.

That's a very big difference from saying that "The Cordoba Mosque is named after a city in Spain where conquering Moors replaced a church with a mosque."

Tathagata

One thing I know about sufism is that it is a sect of Islam so callous that it will stick its finger in the eyes of victims, by building a mosque near ground zero.

There are no victims of the Sufis. They were not involved in the terror attacks.

One of its tenets is that pain, brings one closer to God.

Nope. I think you mean asceticism. Even if it were about pain, it would be self-inflicted, not on others.

Also some Islamist terrorists call themselves Sufis.

Source?

The Sufis have been infiltrated.

If you say they are infiltrated, then the infiltrators aren't actually Sufis, they're pretending.

Kind of like a hitman, listing his religion as a Quaker, to avoid
suspicion.

Again, this proves my point that Sufi isn't violent. You are only pointing out imposter Sufi's

Of course you do know the history of Buddhism includes terrible violence and murder.......Right?

There is no violence in the name of Buddhism, they probably just happened to be Buddhists. There is not one single violent passage in Buddhist scripture that advocates violence, so there is no way to use Buddhist doctrine to incite violence. It can only be considered violence in the name of Buddhism if actual Buddhist doctrines or texts actually can be interpreted to advocate violence.

The Bible, it is very easy to use scripture to justify violence, in Buddhist scripture, it's impossible to justify violence using scripture.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Catholics are bigots by tradition.

You're Catholic?

For the record, I am completely intolerant of Islam and don't believe in "religious freedom."

Might I suggest a place to live where you won't be so infuriated by all the tolerance?

Religious freedom is the antithesis of the gospel.

I don't see the part where Jesus says to force people to worship the right way.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Fact Check - Islam already lives near ground zero

No mosque is going up at ground zero. The center would be established at 45-51 Park Place, just over two blocks from the northern edge of the sprawling, 16-acre World Trade Center site. Its location is roughly half a dozen normal lower Manhattan blocks from the site of the North Tower, the nearer of the two destroyed in the attacks.

The center's location, in a former Burlington Coat Factory store, is already used by the cleric for worship, drawing a spillover from the imam's former main place for prayers, the al-Farah mosque. That mosque, at 245 West Broadway, is about a dozen blocks north of the World Trade Center grounds.

Another, the Manhattan Mosque, stands five blocks from the northeast corner of the World Trade Center site.

To be sure, the center's association with 9/11 is intentional and its location is no geographic coincidence. The building was damaged in the Sept. 11 attacks and the center's planners say they want the center to stand as a statement against terrorism.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Irrelevant. But, yes, it's legal.

Would love to see a link showing that it would be legal to park a boat there!

I lived on the island for five years and never saw any vessels parked (anchored) near the memorial...temporary docking at the memorial dock is allowed but only for short periods of time.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I suppose Muslims would view Koran burning as inflamatory? Maybe even declare a fatwa against the burners?
bybee :rolleyes:Hmmmmmmm

Inflammatory? I don't doubt it. Declare a fatwa? :idunno:

But, bybee, don't tell me you actually would support burning Qurans?

It would serve no good purpose.

Nick_A

Not to mention that the Great Mosque of Cordoba had been [re]taken over from the Muslims by Christians and to this day is Catholic: The building houses The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption. Oh, I just mentioned it. The last time Cordoba was conquered (during the Reconquista), it was by Christians, and it was the Muslims who were conquered. Now it's a very diverse city. The Great Mosque remains Catholic.

That's a very big difference from saying that "The Cordoba Mosque is named after a city in Spain where conquering Moors replaced a church with a mosque."

The Muslims are not happy with it nor should they be. All this cutsey pooh Interfaith stuff can't last. It is politics and no one wants to lose in politics.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/08/17/cordoba.mosque.spain/index.html

In April, more than one hundred Muslim visitors staged a protest by unrolling their prayer rugs inside the site and beginning to pray. When security tried to remove them, the protest got violent and two were arrested.

According to Cordoba's Bishop, Demetrio Fernandes, this incident shows it is impossible to share a house of worship. It would be like sharing a wife between two husbands, he told CNN.

"Would they be happy to do the same in any of their mosques?" he asked. "Absolutely not. Because I understand their religious feeling and they have to understand ours as well. The religious feeling is the deepest one in the human heart, so it is not possible to share."

Bishop Fernandes points to the basilica of San Juan in Damascus as an example of a Christian site that has been converted into a mosque.

"We wouldn't think of asking for the Damascus mosque, because it belongs to the Muslims and for them it is an emblematic place.

"It is [the same] for [Christians] because the San Juan's basilica is very important to us, but we understand that history doesn't go back. It only goes forward. So, it doesn't make sense to ask for the Cordoba [cathedral] to convert it into a mosque, it doesn't make sense because history is irreversible," he said.

Escudero insists this is not about winning a victory for one religion or the other.

He said: "They pretend that we are trying to conquer the mosque again. That's not the intention at all. We want it to be a place where anyone -- whether Muslim, Christian or Jew -- can do his meditation or his internal way of worshipping, or praying or whatever he wants to call it."

If a person feels the value of the Golden Rule and respects the sufferings of others at such a national tragedy, they seek to keep politics out of Ground Zero including politicially correct Sharia mosques.

If on the other hand, a person is motivated by political gain and the manipulation of "rights," then they fight for the mosque. I choose the golden rule and ask the mosque to be moved to another site

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Either the developers are embarrassingly ignorant or they are making a statement of victory. You cannot build a Sharia mosque with the name Cordoba, symbolic of a Muslim victory, on the site where a building was destroyed by the landing gear of an attacking plane and expect people having suffered 911 to think "Oh how wonderful."
You can if the same place is symbolic of 2 things. They are choosing to focus on one aspect and you another. If they have ill motives and are trying to conceal them, using a name "Cordoba Initiative" is not a very subtle way of doing it. So instead of being ignorant or trying to declare victory, they are either ignorant or their motives aren't as nefarious as you think. And since I've seen no good evidence that they are trying to declare victory.....

Even if their intentions are not political, which I doubt,
I'm not sure what you mean by political, but they have Muslim-Western relations in mind. This isn't JUST about building a mosque/cultural center.

There is this problem of the golden rule. Any person capable of true compassion would know that they don't inflict their good intentions on another. I have not read anything from the developers that indicate they are even aware of the golden rule.
What do you want to see them say to show this? :squint: As I've said before, they may be naive for not seeing the controversy, but perhaps they don't see it as a violation of the golden rule since any offense taken by this mosque is based on misconceptions. We aren't fighting Islam. Not all Muslims are held responsible for the attacks. And Rauf has spoken against the attacks. He's been there for years. They already hold some services in the building, I believe.

The idea of not wanting to hurt others is completely dominated by the demand for "rights."
Honestly, I'm not sure they have been yelling about rights.

Not once have I read about Muslim "obligations" concerning 911.
And what obligations are those? Should all Muslims stay 500 feet from ground zero? Should they not talk about it? Should they submit themselves to mistreatment because of what some Islamic extremists did?

The issue is simple. Those that are ignorant of the Golden Rule demand "rights." Those that are aware of it become aware of their human obligations to the needs of others and would not seek to impose a mosque at the site of an attack by Muslim Terrorist planes. They would just build somewhere else.

This issue reveals those ignorant of "feeling" the Golden Rule..

I really do see your point here. And, as I've said before, part of me does wish that Rauf would have foreseen this controversy and planned something else. And if he ends up choosing to move it to somewhere else, I would support that. But I stand by my statements that no offense should be taken for this and this can actually be a good thing if people embrace it.

Here is some reading
http://www.cordobainitiative.org/?q=content/frequently-asked-questions

Status
Not open for further replies.