This Is, After All, A Theology Forum!

Jamie Gigliotti

I think you are a little confused. It's those who don't have a secure relationship with Christ that act like angry toddlers when challenged. It's those who don't have a secure relationship with Christ who can't handle even the slightest opposition to their religious dogma, and so fly into insults whenever they're challenged ideologically. It's those who don't have a secure relationship with Christ who are so absurdly dependent on their own religious self-righteousness that they cannot tolerate being treated like the adult children that they are.

You're worried for the 'outsiders', but they're seeing clearly and responding appropriately. It's these spiritually retarded 'insiders' that ARE misrepresenting Christ that are your (and all religious Christian's) problem.
My point was harsh mean spiritedness could push away someone from Christ. Some may see the meanness as a sign of the perpratrator as being not mature in Christ, but it the one attacked isn't mature either it could harm someone's faith. Paul warns against this.

I think it's right to say, this is not appropriate behavior. Let's have civil debates.

PureX

My point was harsh mean spiritedness could push away someone from Christ. Some may see the meanness as a sign of the perpratrator as being not mature in Christ, but it the one attacked isn't mature either it could harm someone's faith. Paul warns against this.

I think it's right to say, this is not appropriate behavior. Let's have civil debates.
I think you all need to get your own house in order before you presume to proselytize others.

Jamie Gigliotti

Nah.
And if a man is a moron, and you say he is a moron, is that an insult?
Nah.

It's me, Tambora. Criticism of me is almost a daily occurrence around here.

Again, you're talking to me, Tambora.

I thought it was about gutter talk.

If you call someone a moron, who is intelligence challenged, it could be damaging. Why not say I want to help you understand.

If any of us has any insight about God or wisdom about him by grace, let's help those who May not be as fortunate instead of kicking them when they are down.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
TOL is just fine.
It's been around much longer than most any other theology site for good reason.

I just love this place!

Jose Fly

How do you all feel about the vulgar comments made by some of our posters?
I detest them!
It casts a pall over the whole forum.
Our goal here is to bring people to Christ whilst encouraging lively dialogue amongst those of all religious persuasions as well as those who are not persuaded!
We have been blessed with posters of great knowledge as well as wisdom.
We have been blessed with people of wit and charm who are able to differ with courtesy and dignity.
I have delighted in the wit displayed by some which is able to walk around the edges of "naughty" without making me wish to vomit.
I pledge, as a Moderator, to ban those who resort to gutter language to express themselves.

It's very difficult for me to take this place at all seriously. Read through threads and you'll see right-wing Christians allowed to call others all sorts of names....moron, retard, idiot, faggot, etc. and be completely protected. Meanwhile, non-Christians regularly get banned for being "disruptive" (which basically means "you're being too effective and making us look bad"....I mean, I was banned for THIS POST).

Shoot, the administrators don't even take this place seriously, so why should anyone else?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm glad to hear you're stepping in. When people use vulgar toward me it doesn't help me be good either. This is esp. true on the political forum. I would also like to see people STOP judging and condemning others simply because they disagree. B57 and a few others are notorious for doing this.

True ... though vulgar language and outrageous comments says more about the person posting them than it does about those they are targeting.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's very difficult for me to take this place at all seriously. Read through threads and you'll see right-wing Christians allowed to call others all sorts of names....moron, retard, idiot, faggot, etc. and be completely protected. Meanwhile, non-Christians regularly get banned for being "disruptive" (which basically means "you're being too effective and making us look bad"....I mean, I was banned for THIS POST).

Shoot, the administrators don't even take this place seriously, so why should anyone else?
Folks have this odd fantasy that TOL and Christians are supposed to be the model of perfection.

OCTOBER23

BYBEE ,

Have you deleted your post against me yet ?

2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ;

that every one may receive the things done in his body,

according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

James 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word,

the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If a man has a gimp leg. And I say he has a gimp leg, is that an "insult"?

Now you are catching on! We will see how long this lasts.

Am I insulting a perverted homo by saying he is a perverted homo? No! I am merely identifying him.

Jose Fly

Folks have this odd fantasy that TOL and Christians are supposed to be the model of perfection.

Well I most certainly don't have that perception. Actually, I expect the opposite from fundamentalists, and this place certainly delivers.

But the point remains...if the administrators don't take this place seriously, why should I?

bybee

Now you are catching on! We will see how long this lasts.

Am I insulting a perverted homo by saying he is a perverted homo? No! I am merely identifying him.

Opinions are not necessarily hits below the belt line!
I am quite full of opinions myself!

PureX

Paul said himself he was pursuing perfection, that he had not reached it. That didn't disqualify him. That argument stops all of us.
What argument? That Christians are flawed? You sure wouldn't know the Christians around here think so! Because they are certainly convinced they are better than everyone else, and they fight tooth and nail to never admit that they could even remotely, possibly, to even the slightest degree, be wrong about anything, ever!

There are at least a half dozen regulars, here, who are auto-defensive to the degree of absurdity. And they are also the same folks who sink to the nastiest behavior when they think they are being "attacked" because someone has dared to suggest that 'Christendom' might be wrong about something.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I detest them!
Our goal here is to bring people to Christ whilst encouraging lively dialogue amongst those of all religious persuasions as well as those who are not persuaded!
We have been blessed with people of wit and charm who are able to differ with courtesy and dignity.
I have delighted in the wit displayed by some which is able to walk around the edges of "naughty" without making me wish to vomit.
I pledge, as a Moderator, to ban those who resort to gutter language to express themselves.

Excellent post

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
If a man has a gimp leg. And I say he has a gimp leg, is that an "insult"?

Why are you people so absurdly sensitive to criticism? Do you really think you're all above reproach? Wait! What's this thread about if you are all above reproach?

By your lack of sensitivity, it's okay to tell someone they're unattractive or they dress funny, right?

Cedarbay

I detest them!
Great post, bybee.

Might I add a little humor and suggest that forum violators be required to come up with 10 (TEN) coherent acronyms in the Acronym Game thread...:)