ECT "This Generation"

Danoh

I don't follow the words of atheists.

The point was, that when reading the Bible at face value, Christ Jesus made it clear He would return before the generation of His contemporaries all passed away.

Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

The error that taking that passage "at face value" continues to result in...

SaulToPaul 2

Yep.

They have to keep making up ridiculous theories because they can't make Matt 24:34, and "this generation" fit the false teachings of Darby.

What is the generation called before The Regeneration?
The only thing I can think of to call it is this generation.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Why don't you try addressing the topic of the thread?

The topic of the thread is "this generation".

To date, your explanation for "this generation" is that Israel's prophetic clock stopped in Mid-Acts. Therefore, you claim the prophecy was put on hold.

Moreover, you claim that the events that took place from 66AD - 70AD had nothing to do with any prophecies in the Bible.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What is the generation called before The Regeneration?
The only thing I can think of to call it is this generation.

Another loaded question from STP.

We have been through this. The word "regeneration" is used twice in the KJB, once by Jesus and once by Paul.

They don't mean the same thing each time.

Jesus used the word "regeneration" in a very broad manner, He was describing the new heavens and new earth.

Paul used "regeneration" to describe the re-birth of an individual.

SaulToPaul 2

Another loaded question from STP.

We have been through this. The word "regeneration" is used twice in the KJB, once by Jesus and once by Paul.

They don't mean the same thing each time.

Jesus used the word "regeneration" in a very broad manner, He was describing the new heavens and new earth.

Paul used "regeneration" to describe the re-birth of an individual.

The Regeneration.
Refers to the time after his return, extends throughout all eternity.

What is the generation called before the regeneration?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You can keep trying STP, but no matter how hard you try, "this generation" in Matt 24:34 describes the generation of the Jewish contemporaries of Jesus.

If there was one "this generation" that existed before the "regeneration", Jesus wouldn't have said the following:

(Luke 11:30) For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.

Jesus made a distinction between the Ninevites and "this generation".

Danoh

Why don't you try addressing the topic of the thread?

The topic of the thread is "this generation".

To date, your explanation for "this generation" is that Israel's prophetic clock stopped in Mid-Acts. Therefore, you claim the prophecy was put on hold.

Moreover, you claim that the events that took place from 66AD - 70AD had nothing to do with any prophecies in the Bible.

I don't follow the words of atheists.

The point was, that when reading the Bible at face value, Christ Jesus made it clear He would return before the generation of His contemporaries all passed away.

SaulToPaul 2

You can keep trying STP, but no matter how hard you try, "this generation" in Matt 24:34 describes the generation of the Jewish contemporaries of Jesus.

If there was one "this generation" that existed before the "regeneration", Jesus wouldn't have said the following:

(Luke 11:30) For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.

Jesus made a distinction between the Ninevites and "this generation".

Yep, they were certainly part of this generation...just like Adam and me.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This generation precedes the regeneration.

The regeneration happened in 70AD

I could be right, and it scares you to death.

LOL

I know "being right" is a priority of yours. However, you should really try thinking outside your Dispensational box. You're getting more and more desperate with your theories.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Danoh, you really shouldn't be quoting verses you don't understand.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How long is the regeneration?
How long is this generation?

Please stop embarrassing yourself!

Let's look at what Paul said:

(Col 1:26 KJV) Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

If your ridiculous theory was true, Paul would have used the phrase "this generation" in the above verse.

However, Paul didn't. Paul used the word "generations" to describe all the people who lived before he did.

"from generations" = people who lived before Paul.

"this generation" = the generation of Jews alive during the life of Paul and Jesus.

Wick Stick

:mock: preterists
I'm not quite sure why everyone dismisses/mocks/insults teteletestai, but it seems to be pervasive.

I found his rebuttal of your argument to be logically sound.

I can see how one could interpret the passage either way.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
:chuckle:

It's fun getting Tet all riled up.

I feel sorry for you guys.

You guys can't explain Matt 24:34/"this generation", so you guys keep coming up with one ridiculous theory after another.

Let's compile a list of ridiculous theories I have encountered on TOL from Darby Followers:

1) "this" really means "that"
2) "generation" means the race of Jews
3) Some stones were still left standing
4) A secret subjunctive clause
5) "this" is not a demonstrative adjective, it's a pronoun
6) "all these things" in Matt 24:34 only pertains to the things up to verse 3
7) "this generation" refers to every human since Adam

STP, I included your latest ridiculous theory at #7, right after your previous ridiculous theory (#6) that you used to use.

But don't feel bad, Jerry Shugart switched from #5 to #2

Danoh uses #3, and musterion uses #4