ECT "This Generation"

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You're welcome.
Glad you saw what I was getting at with such little information.
Kudos!

Not only does it fit grammatically, as "generation" can refer to a specific group with a common denominator regardless of when they lived.
Like "generation of vipers" groups you with all the rest of the vipers.
But it also fits theologically, as Israel and it's seed are promised to remain before God forever.

Isaiah 66:22 KJV
(22) For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.

"This generation" (Israel) will see the Lord's return to restore the nation once again.
God did not promise this to any other nation.
So no matter what nations are around at the time of Christ's return, Israel is the only nation promised that absolutely has to be there.

You're dead wrong Tam.

The word "this" is a demonstrative adjective that modifies the noun "generation".

The phrase "this generation" specifically refers to the generation of Jewish contemporaries of Jesus.

Get yourself a concordance and look each time Jesus used the phrase "this generation" in the gospel of Luke. Each time "this generation" specifically refers to the generation of Jews who were contemporaries of Jesus.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

(Luke 7:31 KJV) And the Lord said, Whereunto then shall I liken the men of this generation? and to what are they like?

(Luke 11:30 KJV) For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.

(Luke 11:31 KJV) The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with the men of this generation, and condemn them: for she came from the utmost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.

(Luke 11:32 KJV) The men of Nineve shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

(Luke 11:50 KJV) That the blood of all the prophets, which was shed from the foundation of the world, may be required of this generation;

(Luke 11:51 KJV) From the blood of Abel unto the blood of Zacharias which perished between the altar and the temple: verily I say unto you, It shall be required of this generation.

(Luke 17:55 KJV) But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.

As we see above, every time Christ Jesus used the phrase "this generation" it refers to the generation of His Jewish contemporaries in the first century.

The next time He uses the phrase:

(Luke 21:32KJV)Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

You want us to believe that Christ Jesus used the phrase "this generation" throughout the gospel of Luke in describing the generation of His Jewish contemporaries, then all of the sudden in Luke 21:32, He decided to use the exact same phrase to describe a generation 2,000 years into the future (and still counting)?

You're Dispensationalism is a mess Tam.

Quit following Darby, and believe what the Bible says.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
:mock: preterists Darby haters

(Luke 17:55 KJV) But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.

You know this verse singlehandedly proves you wrong.

That's why you won't address it, and have resorted to acting like a child.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
:mock: bossy preterists Darby haters

More childish posts from the immature Darby follower.

As we see above, in Luke 17:55, "this generation" specifically refers to the Jewish contemporaries of Christ Jesus who rejected Him, not a future generation of Jews, or anything else.

The very next time Christ Jesus used the phrase "this generation" after using it in Luke 17:55 is Luke 21:32

(Luke 21:32) “Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Only intellectually dishonest people with and/or an agenda would claim the phrase "this generation" means two different things when used consecutively by Christ Jesus.

But, that's what happens when people try to defend the false teachings of John Nelson Darby.

Interplanner

You all seem to be missing the mission. The mission is the message of Christ. It is a mission as soon as it is expressed. This is why Christ started calling for workers almost immediately. He had at least 221 ready by the time of the immersion seminar between the Res and Pentecost.

His desire was that Israel would be missionaries to the ends of the earth. If that's what 'preaching to Israel' means, that's fine, but his coming and Gospel and mission was never just for Israel or about Israel about restoring theocracy or bringing back any of that! He was moving Is 55 ahead. As with the fruitful mother who has many children, a new community was coming.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
His desire was that Israel would be missionaries to the ends of the earth.

(Matt 10:23) When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

However, the gospel was preached to every creature under heaven before 70AD:

(Col 1:23) ...This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
They practiced in Israel, but they had to be taught from their own scripture that it always was for the whole world.

Ok, but Jesus made it clear He would return before they finished going through the towns of Israel.

That statement lines up perfectly with Matt 24:34, Matt 16:28, Mark 14:62, etc.

whitestone

It could not have been the view of those who had lived prior to 1948 who had believed in an Israel to be regathered one day.

Not even Darby could have held a 1948 view.

And it has never been the view of all Mid-Acts Dispies (as if all are some sort of a one size fits all).

Actually, you're (mostly) talking about Futurists and Acts 2 Dispies as to this issue.

Do your homework.

The futurist and A2D's you mention where can I find more information on them? You said that once to me(a year or so ago) about the A2D's and the 1948'ers but not of the Futurist so it is new to me.

I had always noticed two distinct groups in Christianity,one group who sees Revelation and the other prophecies as being all fulfilled in the past,Lutherans,Methodist,Episcopalians,Catholic ect and then the others who see the prophecies in a future fulfillment aspect,,Pentecostal,Baptist,Nazarene ect...

So I suppose if I described mine own self I would say I was in the second group who see some prophecies future,so hence futurist in that aspect.

It I think is good you note that Darby could have not been an 48er so to speak,that event taking place long after his death he would have had no idea it would occur in 1948.

Speaking with elder members(born prior to ww2) of different churches I attended across my life several spoke of the controversy surrounding the events of the creation of the state of Israel. It at first was to be called "the Jewish state" but was crossed out on the document and the name "Israel" was handwritten in at the last minute http://jcpa.org/article/president-truman’s-decision-to-recognize-israel/

Truman was an "southern Baptist" if he was A2D I do not know,I've not read that he was. It though was interesting to me that there were large groups of people who were against the recognition of Israel as a state both Christian and Jews.

I have noted also that it is well as easy if I myself speak of 1948 as a fulfillment of prophecy that it is at times confused in that I believe that the nation of Israel created in 1948 is the "Israel of God" being regathered. I do not think that it is but I do believe it could not exist if not permitted by God Romans 13:1 KJV

The nation of Egypt rose to power,Assyria,Greece,the kingdom of Nebuchadnezzar ect. and all were permitted to do so by God. At times this was an blessing to Israel but for the most part it was an form of punishment but none the less they all rose or fell as willed by God.

There Is an Israel of God that he will set up on earth again(future),and there is also another nation who refers to themselves as the nation of God and are also called Israel(1948).

That nation(1948) is the one that received its deadly wound in ad70 and ascended out of the pit(1948) Revelation 17:8 KJV . I say this because I notice there are many 1948ers who see and believe that the Israel that now is in the earth is God regathering those scattered into "the restored kingdom",I don't believe (it) is,but do believe (one) will come.

There was an Israel that denied that Jesus was Messiah. They in my opinion did not worship Caesar as God nor see him as fulfilling their prophecies as messiah. They also did not see Jesus as to be worshiped, as king nor as Messiah. In fact who they looked for coming to fulfill this they still to this day are waiting for and needed an nation for him to come forth in,that false Messiah. John 5:43 KJV

Any way,lol I thought I should say that about myself it seems that you saw me as an group who call themselves "futurist" But I am not.

lol,You have made me curious though about them if you know of information regarding them I would like to glance through it. I suppose it best to say bluntly instead of the discrete way I have in the past,that I think that Israel(1948) is not the Israel we see God restoring,but rather the final head of the beast,the seat where that man of sin will rise and the temple he will build and God permitted it to come in it's time.

I agree that books about are not the final authority but the scriptures are. In fact the books about are no more or less than any one of our post. We call it the "book of TOL"(so to speak) and the chapters we call threads. Then there are the characters in the book of TOL(our screen names) and we play out all our roles in the book about.

All these names we hear are no more or less than another post we come across and read. There is the post in a thread and a man with the screen name Darby said in post #152...and then the one with the screen name Russel in post #162 said... There was one with the screen name Calvin,and white,and Johnson and Flemming and they all posted in the thread. Those threads go back in time to Clement, or Irenaeus or whoever made the post number 14 in the book of the opinions in the discussion about the letters written in the bible. So it then is so that the scriptures are the calibrated weights weighing all of our post in the books about.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So I suppose if I described mine own self I would say I was in the second group who see some prophecies future,so hence futurist in that aspect.

(Rev 1:1) The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. ....

themuzicman

It could not have been the view of those who had lived prior to 1948 who had believed in an Israel to be regathered one day.

Not even Darby could have held a 1948 view.

And it has never been the view of all Mid-Acts Dispies (as if all are some sort of a one size fits all).

Actually, you're (mostly) talking about Futurists and Acts 2 Dispies as to this issue.

Do your homework.

What does "this generation" mean to MAD?

themuzicman

I believe it to be the Jews/Israel.
That's who Jesus is speaking to.
That's who Jesus was sent to. (Matt 15:24)

Matthew 23:35-37 KJV
(35) That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
(36) Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
(37) O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

All about Israel.

So, what you're saying, then, is that Jesus prophesied that His return could come sometime during whenever there are Jews in existence?

You honestly expect us to believe that this is a thing?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It I think is good you note that Darby could have not been an 48er

One of Darby's contemporaries, John Thomas, who founded the Christadelphians, was an 1848'er. Thomas taught that 1848 would be the end of the world (and 1864)

"The judgment upon Ireland has been siting since 1786. That crisis was the beginning of a retribution of seventy-five years. This period is called 'THE END' - the end of the last period, of the continuance of modern Europe, as organised into ten kingdoms, and the ''Holy Roman Empire' in the days of Charlemagne. A.D. 1786 was the beginning of the end, 1848 the concluding of the end, nd 1864 the termination of the period. The events of these seventy-five years are the fulfilment of the following words concerning modern Europe: 'The Judgment shall sit and they shall take away of his (the Little Horn's or Holy Roman) dominion, to consume and destroy it to the end.' ... After 1864 Ireland and the rest of the world will enter upon a new era, in which peace, righteousness, and blessedness will reign in the midst of the nations."

The Christadelphians, just like the Mormons, Dispensationalists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, and Christian Science, were all invented during "the age of the cults".

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So, what you're saying, then, is that Jesus prophesied that His return could come sometime during whenever there are Jews in existence?

You honestly expect us to believe that this is a thing?

Not to mention:

(Matt 24:22) “If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened.

According to Tambora, the Jews won't die before Jesus comes, but at the same time, the days were cut short so the Jews won't die before the Jews see Jesus come.

:dizzy: