ECT "This Generation"

themuzicman

I didn't say that either, moronic preterist Darby hater.

You said:

This has been explained here before many times in detail.
Here's the short version.

"generation"
Greek - γενεα (genea)
Can refer to a family, stock, nation, race.
Can be applied to all of group with some sort of a meaningful distinction, no matter when they lived.

Meaning that "this generation" just means "this race" no matter when they lived.

Thus, in context, you're claiming that Jesus only meant to say that as long as there were Jews, this prophecy could come true. And, as telestai pointed out, Jesus would actually cut short the days so that there would be Jews alive when He returned.

Again, not much of a prophecy.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And, as telestai pointed out, Jesus would actually cut short the days so that there would be Jews alive when He returned.

It would also mean Jesus was redundant.

According to people like Tambora, it would mean Jesus said the same thing twice.

Allegedly speaking, it would mean: Jesus said the days would be cut short so that some Jews remained alive, and then later in the discourse Jesus said "truly, some of you will still be alive".

It makes no sense.

djhow

Jesus came to the Jews because they want blood for sacrifice, they got a chance when Isaac was released and an alternative instead. They got the real deal the next time, the blood and sacrifice for all sins before God and it is till not enough. People still want blood and revel in the thought of an apocalypse where the blood of the unsaved will run down the streets. It's a final end to blood but we still want a pound of flesh from those sinners

Sin is transgression of the law and the debt is paid why are we insisting that more be paid such as the lives of sinners dead before God? It's like saying "I don't believe the debt is paid, I want more"

themuzicman

I did not say that "generation" JUST MEANS one thing every time it is used.
Will you guys learn to read, please.

I never implied that was the case. I was pointing out that you're interpreting the word to mean "race" in this case, such that "this race" will not pass away.....

Again, not much of a prophecy

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The late Bertrand Russell, a famous atheist, said the following in his book "Why I Am Not A Christian":

“He certainly thought that his second coming would occur in clouds of glory before the death of all the people who were living at that time. There are a great many texts that prove that.”

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I never implied that was the case. I was pointing out that you're interpreting the word to mean "race" in this case, such that "this race" will not pass away.....

Again, not much of a prophecy
I would have picked nation over race, but the gist of the point is still there no matter which term you chose - family, nation, race, etc.

But if you don't wish to believe any of it, it's not going to hinder the prophesy coming true.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The late Bertrand Russell, a famous atheist, said the following in his book "Why I Am Not A Christian":

“He certainly thought that his second coming would occur in clouds of glory before the death of all the people who were living at that time. There are a great many texts that prove that.”
:mock: moronic preterist Darby haters that follow the infallible words of atheists

SaulToPaul 2

John W. can add Bert to the list of men Tet follows for doctrine.
:up:

Ole Bert would have been one of the ones balking at the Lord saying you have to eat my flesh and drink my blood. And Bert would have walked away and stopped following the Lord, having misunderstood.

whitestone

Other than Tet, does anyone think it is impossible that "this generation" is all of us from the fall of Adam up until "The Regeneration", after the Lord's return?

lol,not I,I took the Lord on his word when he said "as in the days of Noah",,,I scratched my head and remembered two by two the animals entered the Ark the the seven and Noah and the door was shut and the flood came and then the Ark rested and the world was regenerated. And then righteous Lot in the day he came out of Sodom and Gomorrah,and sudden destruction. Then I thought man lookie there thats just like Paul said about that ("r". word) were not suppose to mention,lol. But then thats just literally speaking if you shift the commas to the left and the parables aren't literal then it all goes metaphorical or something on you,,,

themuzicman

I would have picked nation over race, but the gist of the point is still there no matter which term you chose - family, nation, race, etc.

But if you don't wish to believe any of it, it's not going to hinder the prophesy coming true.

Well, the nation DID pass away. It was wiped out and the Jews scattered for almost 2000 years.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Other than Tet, does anyone think it is impossible that "this generation" is all of us from the fall of Adam up until "The Regeneration", after the Lord's return?

Luke 11:32 says it's not possible:

(Luke 11:32 KJV) The men of Nineve shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

Christ Jesus makes a distinction between the men of Nineve and "this generation". He did the same thing between the queen of the south and "this generation".

If the men of Nineve were part of "this generation" (your claim) it makes no sense they would condemn "this generation".

There is a distinction between the two.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
:mock: moronic preterist Darby haters that follow the infallible words of atheists

I don't follow the words of atheists.

The point was, that when reading the Bible at face value, Christ Jesus made it clear He would return before the generation of His contemporaries all passed away.