The Wisdom of "Eye for an eye" theology

Rimi

Why would you bother if you don't know where God's coming from. The Bible is full to overflowing with His thoughts on many things. Yet, you claim to not know the mind of God. I believe it.

Hasan_ibn_Sabah

Rimi said:
Yeah, Satan's His best bud.

:loser:
Satan in comparision to God is as significant as an flea to the Sun, even less so. Satan can't do squat without God, problem is people tend to over-estimate Satan and under-estimate God. All God has to do is say the word and the Satan problem would be over faster than lightning hitting the ground.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Why would you bother if you don't know where God's coming from
Creation is astounding and humbling because God often comes from a guise where you least expect Him. For example, the Samaritans were seen as unclean and unrepentant sinners.

Rimi

Hasan_ibn_Sabah said:
Satan in comparision to God is as significant as an flea to the Sun, even less so. Satan can't do squat without God, problem is people tend to over-estimate Satan and under-estimate God. All God has to do is say the word and the Satan problem would be over faster than lightning hitting the ground.

Irrelevant, moron. Just because Satan isn't on even footing with God doesn't mean he is not and cannot be God's enemy. Little tiny nations hate the USA: they're not on equal footing because they can't even figure that wearing bedsheets is a fashion risk, but that doesn't diminish their hatred for US much.

Rimi

aikido7 said:
Creation is astounding and humbling because God often comes from a guise where you least expect Him. For example, the Samaritans were seen as unclean and unrepentant sinners.

OHHHHKAAAAY. .. . Step away from the bong and go hug a tree. While God's creation is incredible even after leaving it in our hands all this time, it is not His word. You can know what He thinks and feels about things in His Scriptures. What the samaritans have to do with this, well ya lost me.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Rimi said:
OHHHHKAAAAY. .. . Step away from the bong and go hug a tree. While God's creation is incredible even after leaving it in our hands all this time, it is not His word. You can know what He thinks and feels about things in His Scriptures. What the samaritans have to do with this, well ya lost me.
I start with recognizing in much humility that God is infinite and cannot be perfectly contained in a book.

I can certainly read what the many evangelists and unknown authors in the Bible wrote about God and their relationship with Him, but I still can't know what God thinks and feels about things. I have my faith, but that is not worldly "knowing." You can drag me kicking and screaming to your heresy trial all you want, but that's the way it is.

Jesus' parable about the Samaritan stopping to minister to the beaten traveller on the Jericho road was told in a cultural context in which the Samaritan was seen by other Jews as an untouchable, the illegitimate heir to the Davidic line. For Jesus' listeners to entertain the thought that a Samaritan could be "good" was like expecting them to love their enemies.

In the story, if God's care and love can be made manifest in the actions of the unclean and the unrighteous, where else in creation might we find it?

Rimi

Well, you said you didin't know the mind of God. Certainly His parable can't make any sense to you either.

When's this trial you're halucinating about? Wear a tie.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Rimi said:
Well, you said you didin't know the mind of God. Certainly His parable can't make any sense to you either.

When's this trial you're halucinating about? Wear a tie.
Why do you believe that?

wickwoman

I haven't seen many of Akido's posts until recently. And, I've wondered what he/she did to deserve to many red boxes. So now, I'm ashamed I don't have more red boxes myself. Because it seems all you need to do around here is to speak the truth in love and you will have plenty of red boxes.

Rimi, you are deluded and think that forgiveness is easy and bearing a grudge is hard work. You have turned your life into opposite world, to cover up your own bad behavior - unforgiveness. It is the ultimate denial on your part and will cause you nothing but heartache and pain.

There, I've rebuked you lovingly as you advised and now I will leave it to God. I know I feel better. What about you?

Rimi

Glad you feel better . . . since that's your operating force, isn't it. If it feels good, do it, nevermind that it might not be what God explained. What's really the most pitiful is how little value I place on anything you say, but you just had to chime in because it made you feel better. Whatever.

Rimi

One more thing, WW, I don't bear a grudge against you any more than I do Aikido. You're just not worth it. I feel great.

wickwoman

Rimi said:
Glad you feel better . . . since that's your operating force, isn't it. If it feels good, do it, nevermind that it might not be what God explained. What's really the most pitiful is how little value I place on anything you say, but you just had to chime in because it made you feel better. Whatever.

Rimi, it is apparent you care not what many of us say to you. It is also apparent that you rarely listen. So, yes, "telling you off" feels good for a season, a very short one. But then I see that you are unchanged and I am sad. So, you can see that telling someone off as you advise is really just a temporal earthly pleasure, not as high and noble as you hoped to demonstrate.

So, you go on with your illusions. Close your ears and eyes very tight whenever someone approaches you with advice. And when they almost reach you, tell yourself, their opinion doesn't matter. But, sooner or later truth will find you.

Peace.

servent101

Wickwoman to Rumi
It is the ultimate denial on your part and will cause you nothing but heartache and pain.

So true, and such good comprehension of the person Rumi - but I find that these people have helped me to understand what is happening in religion today, so I am grateful for them, though still sad, and still left with no way to reach them - but the cause I have found is that they for the most part try to worship this diabolical monster of the Written Word, taking that which is metaphore and adhereing to it literally - trying to worship the god of the eternal pain and torture in hell of anyone who does not have the same orthodox mindset and literalism they do - it simply drives them insane, but being insane people - how does one reach them?

With Christ's Love

Servent101

beanieboy

SOTK said:
Let's look at logic for a minute. Doesn't it make sense to all of you that one should repent before being forgiven? For example, can any of you forgive someone that sins against you on a daily basis? Let's say you have a co-worker that is just nasty and goes out of his way to sin against you on a daily basis. Are you guys saying that it's logical to forgive him on a daily basis. In other words, you forgive him for the same thing day after day. That just doesn't make sense and it's also dishonest. It's impossible to really and truly forgive someone when they continue to remain in their sin and are harming you.

In the above scenario, the loving and logical thing to do is to softly rebuke the person and give him the opportunity to repent. If he doesn't, you treat him as nicely as you can and give the matter to God.

Seriously, some of you are completely missing the boat on this. The way I'm laying it out is Biblical, logical, and loving.

Saul killed Christians repeatedly. One would think that God would just not forgive Saul, would just pull a Rimi and say, "you are not worth it," or kill him, as ordered in Leviticus - that he would simply strike him dead. But he didn't. He used him to become a leader within the church. Because God still cared, Saul was able to come to God.

Zaccheus was a tax collector, known for cheating people in their taxes for their own gain. He did so repeatedly. Jesus should have said, "I'm not going to forgive you." But instead, when Zaccheus was inspired by this man who showed everyone love, and climbed a tree to see him, Jesus called to him, and told him to come eat with him BEFORE Zaccheus repented of anything. It was Jesus reaching out to him that inspired Zaccheus to change.

Any sinner can say, "You have wronged me. I won't forgive you."
Any sinner can demand an apology before forgiveness begins.
And any sinner can say, "You say you are sorry, but you are a liar!!!" which I have seen from the saved as well.

As a Buddhist, I find it difficult to forgive those who have wronged me, but do so, because others have done so to me. I ask for others to forgive me first, and in realizing my own ability to harm, intentionally or none, find more compassion to forgive others.

But at the heart of not forgiving is pride.
Your pride allows anger to rule your life, living your life unhappily. Rimi, for example, has spoken of how people forgive to make themselves feel better, instead of following what God wants. Does God want us to live angry, resentful lives? Or does he want us to live happy lives, productful lives, reaching out to one another? Does God want us to be weighted down with the wrongs of others, or let go of the pain, and move on?

We don't need to condone, forget, or provide cheap grace in forgiveness. What we do need is to let go of the pain, the anger, the resentment, all of which holds us down. As a Christian, it may help you understand that God used Christ to "get even", not demand our deaths.

It comes down to a choice of which is more important to you - living a happy life where you can rejoice and be exceedingly glad, or living one of anger, misery, and resentment.

Rimi

When God struck Saul with blindness he wasn't forgiving him. He was asking him why Saul was persecuting him? THAT WAS A REBUKE. Saul repented. and then AND ONLY THEN could God use Saul for any good thing.

Zaccheus (whom you seem to have a crush on) was in the tree and not out cheating. Zaccheus didn't wait to be rebuked and FIRST REPENTED by saying he would there and then give h alf of his possessions to the poor and if he'd cheated anybody out of anything he'd pay them back. THEN Jesus forgave by saying that salvation had come to his house. BTW, it doesn't that Zaccheus was known for cheating people, only that he was a tax collector and very wealthy. Zaccheus said IF he'd cheated anybody he would repay.

You will never be forgiven until you learn that you must repent. The opportunity is always there to repent. Zaccheus wasn't too proud to climb a tree. It comes down to a choice of which is more important to you - loving your sin, or loving God more.

beanieboy

Rimi said:
When God struck Saul with blindness he wasn't forgiving him. He was asking him why Saul was persecuting him? THAT WAS A REBUKE. Saul repented. and then AND ONLY THEN could God use Saul for any good thing.

Zaccheus (whom you seem to have a crush on) was in the tree and not out cheating. Zaccheus didn't wait to be rebuked and FIRST REPENTED by saying he would there and then give h alf of his possessions to the poor and if he'd cheated anybody out of anything he'd pay them back. THEN Jesus forgave by saying that salvation had come to his house. BTW, it doesn't that Zaccheus was known for cheating people, only that he was a tax collector and very wealthy. Zaccheus said IF he'd cheated anybody he would repay.

You will never be forgiven until you learn that you must repent. The opportunity is always there to repent. Zaccheus wasn't too proud to climb a tree. It comes down to a choice of which is more important to you - loving your sin, or loving God more.

Why didn't God just say, "you're not worth it!" and just kill him?

Why did Jesus invite Zach to eat with him before he asked for forgiveness?

You have a strange way of seeing the Bible. Zach didn't have too much pride to climb a tree? He was short and couldn't see. I think it had little to do with pride.
Zaccheus wasn't out cheating people when Jesus passed by?
Isn't that like saying, "the adulterous wasn't committing adultery at the time she was brought to Jesus"?

Did God send his son after the world had repented, or while we were yet sinners?

Rimi

Because being God, He can do that if He likes. Judgment call. It coulda turned out differently, like it did with Adam and Cain, and Saul (OT), Judas, and . . . . I think you get the picture.

Zaccheus coulda turned his back and been too embarrassed with his small stature. He coulda let his emotions be bitter. He coulda just walked away. Instead, he risked having people see him in that tree, knowing why he had to climb it, and been laughed at. He risked being made a spectacle of by people who were very hostile towards tax collectors anyway. . . , yet he went up in that tree to see Jesus anyway. hmmm, now that I'm thinking on this, it sounds like a heart that was wanting to repent and knowing Who to go to.

I have a strange way . . ?? . . . pot, kettle, black. You're the idiot who thinks God will let sodomites like you have their own bathhouse in His kingdom!

beanieboy

Rimi said:
You're the idiot who thinks God will let sodomites like you have their own bathhouse in His kingdom!

Thou shalt not bear false witness.

Or is it okay to lie if you are a Christian, because a Buddhist can't use the scripture to call you on it?

Rimi

Beanie is a fag. Beanie loves other fags. Fags tend to love bathhouses. Not false witness so much as logical conclusion. Look, it's not like you actually have to take a bath. Yeesh, what a drama queen.