The Trinity

The Trinity

• Total voters

God's Truth

So, God is a title?

God the Father is a title?
Jesus the God/Man is a title?
God the Holy Spirit is a title?

So, are you, gt, saying you, gt, worship 'The Title'?
Could you provide a verse that God is a title from the Bible as you say that you, gt, prove everything you say with the Bible. Thank you.

This is almost too silly to address.

Tell me, are you just a title when your kids call you 'father' or 'mother'?

God's Truth

Yes, but we know the name of the holy Spirit.

His name is Jesus Christ.

"And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father" (1 John 2:1)

But there is something you miss, and it is that the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God, or how else is God the Father of Jesus?

glorydaz

Awesome!

I had a feeling that this is where you were on this but with as many different doctrines that are around, many of which include the idea that faith and reason are opposites, I always feel the need to clarify this point when discussing the Trinity doctrine. The Trinity is the anti-intellectual Christian's favorite, go-to topic when debating the necessity of sound reason and it shouldn't be.

Thanks, Clete. I always appreciate any input you have to give, and anytime you see a need for correction, please give it. :)

glorydaz

To be fair, that's not exactly what she wrote.

I'm a "deep thinker" whose deep thoughts don't always come out of my mouth as clearly as I would like. :chuckle:

I feel blessed that we have believers like you and Clete on this board. I know it's easier to just stop addressing some of these odd ball ideas we see being posted on a thread like this one, but God has given the body "elders" for a reason.

glorydaz

Yes, but we know the name of the holy Spirit.

His name is Jesus Christ.

"And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father" (1 John 2:1)

That verse is talkiing about Jesus Christ as our defense attorney. If you read that in context, you'll see.

Jesus, Himself, said He would send another Comforter (HOLY SPIRIT) (which is the distinction).

You need to stop confusing the PERSONS of the Trinity...there is distinction in the ONE GOD according to the Bible. Just look in the Bible, and you'll find that to be the case.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
What?

No silly;

I'm trying to show you how you liken the One Creator GOD to three mere men (persona) and creation.

But you didn't even catch that did you; though I made it painfully obvious..... But I'm blind right?

As far as I'm aware, no one here is calling God a mere man. You're trying to argue that we are, and you're wrong.

Tell me, Pops, was Jesus a person?

If so, was He a person before He "became flesh"?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I have to disagree with this.

He is the only God and that He created everything that exists by Himself. He is also presented to us in three persons, The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit but it does not teach that there are three Gods in one God! It teaches that what we and Jesus refer to as The Father is the singular God and that Jesus Himself is that same singular God and the same for the Holy Spirit. It teaches us that those three persons are all the same singular God. What it does not teach us are the details of just how that works. In other words, there are details left out that make it impossible for us to understand or to explain it fully.

Clete

This is way so many persons deny Jesus is divine. Those who accept Jesus' divinity, they usually assume the Father is more powerful, which leads to polytheistic thought.

There is Biblical support to what you have said, the Trinity is the expression of God, yet, as you say, it is not explained. This is what must be taken on faith. I do not believe anyone is really saved unless they have received the Holy Spirit and the mystery, intuitively understood.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
That verse is talkiing about Jesus Christ as our defense attorney. If you read that in context, you'll see.

CONTEXT: "And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world." (1 John 2:1-2)

Advocate is parakletos.

G3875
παράκλητος
paraklētos
par-ak'-lay-tos
An intercessor, consoler: - advocate, comforter.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world." (1 John 2:1-2)

"In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins." (1 John 4:9-10)

CONTEXT: The Son is the propitiation for sins.

"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood" (Romans 3:23-25)

Why do you think the holy Spirit bleeds?

"G2434
ἱλασμός
hilasmos
hil-as-mos'
atonement, that is, (concretely) an expiator: - propitiation."

"For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross." (Colossians 1:19-20)

"G2643
καταλλαγή
katallagē
kat-al-lag-ay'
From G2644; exchange (figuratively adjustment), that is, restoration to (the divine) favor: - atonement, reconciliation (-ing)."

Why do you claim Jesus' reconciliation is not the atonement?

glorydaz

CONTEXT: "And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world." (1 John 2:1-2)

Advocate is parakletos.

G3875
παράκλητος
paraklētos
par-ak'-lay-tos
An intercessor, consoler: - advocate, comforter.

My goodness. You do not LISTEN, either. What is it with you people?

I gave you the verse where Jesus said He would send ANOTHER COMFORTER....

Jesus Christ is our ADVOCATE....our counsel for defense, and He pleads the BLOOD.

Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
summoned, called to one's side, esp. called to one's aid
one who pleads another's cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant, an advocate
one who pleads another's cause with one, an intercessor
of Christ in his exaltation at God's right hand, pleading with God the Father for the pardon of our sins

The Holy Spirit is the Comforter that comes from the Father and is sent by the Son after He has risen from the dead. The Holy Spirit is distinct from the Son who shed His blood on the cross, but the Father, the Word (Son), and the Holy Spirit are ONE GOD.

]in the widest sense, a helper, succourer, aider, assistant
of the Holy Spirit destined to take the place of Christ with the apostles (after his ascension to the Father), to lead them to a deeper knowledge of the gospel truth, and give them divine strength needed to enable them to undergo trials and persecutions on behalf of the divine kingdom

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
You slipped a little into what I preach. You slipped a little out of the trinitarian teaching.

No. Actually, I set forth an analogy.
Something of what exists in the originating cause is found by similarity[analogy] in that which is caused.
It would be error to assume that the likeness/similarity/analogy in the effect is identical to what is derived from the originating cause.

What is found in man, in being created in the likeness of GOD, is not identical but only similar to that which is in GOD.

GOD is greater.

The distinction of persons in GOD are real. The experience of self-consciousness in man, which when self-observed through the trinal process, is necessarily lesser than the reality which exists in GOD.

The three are not transient modes of one person.
The three are real persons within the one being which is GOD and have been, are and shall be in eternal communion.

There is no explanation for man's triunal makeup[self-consciousness] unless it be found in his maker...GOD.

popsthebuilder

As far as I'm aware, no one here is calling God a mere man. You're trying to argue that we are, and you're wrong.

Tell me, Pops, was Jesus a person?

If so, was He a person before He "became flesh"?
Jesus was a person surely. What sort of question is that?

Where you a person before you became flesh?

Sounds pretty asinine doesn't it?

Was all existence made through a person before the first man was formed? Or was the first man formed of the red dirt of the earth by the Word of GOD?

Jesus; the man anointed by GOD; the only Christ and known Spirit of GOD, was spirit prior to ever manifesting in material form in Jesus of Nazareth.

Luke 20: 21. And they asked him, saying, Master, we know that thou sayest and teachest rightly, neither acceptest thou the person of any, but teachest the way of God truly: Luke 20: 22. Is it lawful for us to give tribute unto Caesar, or no? 23. But he perceived their craftiness, and said unto them, Why tempt ye me? 24. Shew me a penny. Whose image and superscription hath it? They answered and said, Caesar's. 25. And he said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's, and unto God the things which be God's.

1 Peter 1: 23. Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 24. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: 25. But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Ephesians 6: 12. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 13. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15. And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16. Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 18. Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; 19. And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20. For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Colossians 3: 22. Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God: 23. And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; 24. Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. 25. But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

James 2: 26. For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

1 Corinthians 6: 11. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. 14. And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power. 17. But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. 19. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20. For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Romans 2: 29. But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

1 Timothy 1: 17. Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Hebrews 1: 14. Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

(I hope you can see the point to the verses I posted but I am doubtful.)

glorydaz

No. Actually, I set forth an analogy.
Something of what exists in the originating cause is found by similarity[analogy] in that which is caused.
It would be error to assume that the likeness/similarity/analogy in the effect is identical to what is derived from the originating cause.

What is found in man, in being created in the likeness of GOD, is not identical but only similar to that which is in GOD.

GOD is greater.

The distinction of persons in GOD are real. The experience of self-consciousness in man, which when self-observed through the trinal process, is necessarily lesser than the reality which exists in GOD.

The three are not transient modes of one person.
The three are real persons within the one being which is GOD and have been, are and shall be in eternal communion.

There is no explanation for man's triunal makeup[self-consciousness] unless it be found in his maker...GOD.

You've spoken on this before, Steko, and I have always been curious to hear more. Certainly this is not something animals have...they follow their instincts. You have talked about the ability to love, also, and to love or hate yourself seems to relate to what you said about having conversations with yourself.

Humans are more than just conscious they are self-aware. Consciousness is awareness of one's body and one's environment; self-awareness is recognition of that consciousness – not only understanding that one exists, but further understanding that one is aware of one's existence.

https://coachcampus.com/coach-portf...na-pall-self-awareness-vs-self-consciousness/

We can see our triune nature when we talk of our flesh warring against our soul, or the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. While God is always in righteous accord within Himself. You should start a thread on this....I've meant to ask you before. :)

popsthebuilder

You've spoken on this before, Steko, and I have always been curious to hear more. Certainly this is not something animals have...they follow their instincts. You have talked about the ability to love, also, and to love or hate yourself seems to relate to what you said about having conversations with yourself.

We can see our triune nature when we talk of our flesh warring against our soul, or the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. While God is always in righteous accord within Himself. You should start a thread on this....I've meant to ask you before. :)
That sounds like duality.

popsthebuilder

I'm a "deep thinker" whose deep thoughts don't always come out of my mouth as clearly as I would like. :chuckle:

I feel blessed that we have believers like you and Clete on this board. I know it's easier to just stop addressing some of these odd ball ideas we see being posted on a thread like this one, but God has given the body "elders" for a reason.
You would think those who consider thselves elders would be eager to justify themselves to the masses; especially when guilty of wrongful accusations and nonsense.