The Trinity

The Trinity

• Total voters

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Matthew 16:18 AENT

I say also to you that you are Keefa, and on this Keefa I will build my assembly, and the gates of Sheol will not subdue it.

Was the assembly built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets?

Yeah, rock on!

DavidK

Phonetic Spelling: (yeh-ho-vaw')

This pronunciation is a mistake. The Name was written with the vowel pointing for Adonai (Lord) in order to remind the reader not to pronounce The Name. Later translators did not understand this convention, and mistranslated The Name to Yehovah.

God's Truth

[MENTION=12045]jamie[/MENTION], [MENTION=13959]meshak[/MENTION], [MENTION=3801]keypurr[/MENTION] [MENTION=18157]marhig[/MENTION], [MENTION=15324]NWL[/MENTION]

I have always been fascinated by the resurrection. So the question becomes, who raised Jesus from the dead? Well, just so happens Luke tells us in the Book of Acts 3:14,15.

But it gets better. The Apostle Paul says in 1 Thessalonians 1:9,10

So we here have identified God the Father as the one who raised Jesus. I would hope we all can agree with this scripture. We wouldn't want it any clearer than that.

Now that is where our agreement ends. Hopefully after this discussion we can agree on much more than this.

Because from here on out, is where our study begins. Who raised Jesus from the Dead? An Important Question.

So, we have discovered God the Father raised Jesus from the dead.

But the scriptures do not stop there at answering the question. If you go back to John 2:19-21, Jesus Christ says:

So here we find Jesus says He will raise Himself from the dead. Is this not correct? I am reading this right, right?

And if this is true, we find that God the Father raised Jesus from the dead (Acts 3:15), Jesus raising Himself from the dead (John 2:19-21 and now this if as we needed anymore proof at who raised Jesus. Paul in Romans 8:11 tells us:

Now the Sprit raised Jesus from the Dead. Interesting. What's up with that?

So according to the scripture I provided you fine folks, who raised Jesus from the Dead?

Perhaps, all three? The Trinity.....

The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all Spirit.

The Bible says that there is only one Spirit. See Ephesians 4:4.

The Bible says that Jesus is the Spirit. See 2 Corinthians 3:17, 18.

That all means they are all three one and the same.

Jesus is God the Father come in the flesh as a man and the Holy Spirit is them.

Jerry Shugart

Matthew 16:18 AENT

I say also to you that you are Keefa, and on this Keefa I will build my assembly, and the gates of Sheol will not subdue it.

“He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16. And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" (Mt.16:16-18).​

The "rock" on which the Jewish assembly will be built is in "bold."

The ones who will believe this truth will receive life when they are born of God (Jn.20:30-31;1 Jn.5:1-5).

God's Truth

I endorse the trinity concept: Father, Son, Bride. This is the God family, i.e. the kingdom.

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" (Revelation 22:17)

The Spirit in that scripture is Jesus.

There are many scriptures in Revelation that say Jesus is the Spirit.

The Bride are all those in him.

Jesus is the Spirit. All these scriptures tell us Jesus is the Spirit. Revelation 2:7, 8, 11, 17, 29; 3:6, 13, 22; 14:13; 22:17.

God's Truth

“He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16. And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" (Mt.16:16-18).​

The "rock" on which the Jewish assembly will be built is in "bold."

The ones who will believe this truth will receive life when they are born of God (Jn.20:30-31;1 Jn.5:1-5).

Not just Jews. All who come to Jesus to be saved.

Jesus is the Rock.

Jesus is saying that the truth is what his church will be built on.

Jesus is the Truth, the Life, and the Way.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
This pronunciation is a mistake. The Name was written with the vowel pointing for Adonai (Lord) in order to remind the reader not to pronounce The Name. Later translators did not understand this convention, and mistranslated The Name to Yehovah.

The vowels added to YHVH are speculative and the term simply refers to being immortal.

YHVH is a title not a name.

God's Truth

It does not matter how one pronounces Jesus' name.

Some Christians think they sound more holy speaking Jesus' name in a Jewish way.

You can say 'Jesus'.

We are going to be given a new name anyway.

Revelation 2:17 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.

DavidK

The vowels added to YHVH are speculative and the term simply refers to being immortal.

YHVH is a title not a name.

The actual vowels are indeed, disputed. But that doesn't change the fact that Jehovah comes from mistaking the insertion of the vowels for Adonai.

Jerry Shugart

Jesus is saying that the truth is what his church will be built on.

Jesus is the Truth, the Life, and the Way.

The pronoun "this" in this passage has to have an antecedent found in the words spoken by the Lord Jesus:

“He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" (Mt.16:15-18).​

I believe that the word "this" refers back to Peter's testimony that the Lord Jesus is "the Christ, the Son of the living God."

DavidK

Jesus is God the Father come in the flesh as a man and the Holy Spirit is them.

Then when Jesus prayed to the Father it was all an elaborate show for our sakes? Jesus' prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane was an act?

Where did the voice come from when Jesus was baptized? Spiritual ventriloquism? What fell on Him in likeness like a dove?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The actual vowels are indeed, disputed. But that doesn't change the fact that Jehovah comes from mistaking the insertion of the vowels for Adonai.

And I have said more than once on TOL that I believe the term "Jehovah" is bogus. I don't accept the term nor use the term.

God's Truth

The pronoun "this" in this passage has to have an antecedent found in the words spoken by the Lord Jesus:

“He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" (Mt.16:15-18).​

I believe that the word "this" refers back to Peter's testimony that the Lord Jesus is "the Christ, the Son of the living God."

It is about the 'truth' that Peter spoke.

Do you know how Jesus says the gates of hell will not overcome?

Jesus is the One who went to hell.

Think about it...the gates of hell...that is about keeping someone in hell not out of hell.

God's Truth

Then when Jesus prayed to the Father it was all an elaborate show for our sakes? Jesus' prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane was an act?

Where did the voice come from when Jesus was baptized? Spiritual ventriloquism? What fell on Him in likeness like a dove?

What don't you get about there being three.

Do you really believe that Jesus is God?

Yes or no.

Jesus IS God, and since Jesus is God, then he must also be the Father because there is only one God.

God the Father did not pretend to come as a Man, He really did come as a Man.

Jesus said he knows that the Father ALWAYS hears him, but that he spoke aloud for the sake of those listening.

John 11:42 I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me."

Jerry Shugart

There the Father spoken of is in regard to the "us" and "our" found in this passage:

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness" (Gen.1:26).​

Next, let us look at this verse:

"But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him"
(1 Cor.8:6).​

In his commentary on this verse Albert Barnes says:

"One God, the Father - Whom we acknowledge as the Father of all; Author of all things; and who sustains to all his works the relation of a father. The word 'Father' here is not used as applicable to the first person of the Trinity, as distinguished from the second, but is applied to God as God; not as the Father in contradistinction from the Son, but to the divine nature as such, without reference to that distinction - the Father as distinguished from his offspring, the works that owe their origin to him" (Barnes'Notes on the Bible, Commentary at 1 Corinthians 8:6).​

The following verse speaks of the Father as the Creator of Mankind:

"But now, O LORD (JWHW), thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand" (Isa.64:8).​

Here we read that JHWH is our Father and He is the Potter who created mankind. The Apostle Paul said that it is by the Lord Jesus that all things are created:

"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church" (Col.1:16-18).​

Since the Lord Jesus created all things then it is obvious that He is the Potter, JWHW the Father. That explains the Lord Jesus' words here:

"I and my Father are one"
(Jn.10:30).​

The only reason that the Lord Jesus could say the following is because He is indeed JHWH the Father:

"Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?" (Jn.14:9).​

All this explains what we read here about the Lord Jesus:

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" (Isa.9:6).​

The Everlasting Father is the Mighty God, and the Mighty God is JHWH, as witnessed by what is said here:

" Thou shewest lovingkindness unto thousands, and recompensest the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them: the Great, the Mighty God, the LORD (JHWH) of hosts, is his name"
(Jer.32:18).​

DavidK

I do not believe that God's name is pronounced 'Jehovah', but does it matter if Jesus' name does not matter?

In the context of posting up a definition of the word translated "Lord", I'd expect it does. Why post a definition if accuracy isn't an issue?