The Timelessness of God

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
First my view regarding God:

I view God as a construction, an idea constructed in an effort to understand our mysterious and uncertain lives, evident by the pantheon of historically existing, primarily irrelevant, gods. As such the question of God's existence between existing as a mere idea against His presumed ontological being maintains a wider gap than the average believer will comfortably admit to.

With this in mind....the answer to your question is, no...quite to the contrary.

I think we can safely say that God does exist, and not just in our imaginations.

See Battle Royale VII in the Coliseum.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

Right Divider

Body part
An attribute? No.

An aspect of His existence, YES.
The Bible does not mention that aspect of Him.

I think God had some idea that Abraham loved God, and as you say, God knows what is on a man's heart. But I think God likes to confirm things, instead of just look and see.
I cannot understand what you mean by that.

God could have, but chose to do it in 6 days, and rested on the 7th, so that He could admire His work. He wanted to intimately know what He was creating.
Scripture please.

In the Bible, we see the 7 day week as a MODEL for work and rest for Israel. That is not conjecture like I see you use above.
Exod 20:8-11 (AKJV/PCE)
(20:8) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. (20:9) Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: (20:10) But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of the LORD thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates: (20:11) For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

quip

BANNED
Banned
If I have not ears to hear my neighbor, how can I open mouth towards my neighbor?

Your turn to "shoot". [MENTION=2365]quip[/MENTION]

Unlike the collorary relating a carpenter to his created table....how can God create sans time?
It seems a rational dead-end. Must you simply rely upon the appeal of a inexplicable supernatural explanation?

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Unlike the collorary relating a carpenter to his created table....how can God create sans time?
It seems a rational dead-end. Must you simply rely upon the appeal of a inexplicable supernatural explanation?

Do you believe in life after death in any fashion?

Yahu

Those who exist in "time" are constrained by time. They cannot go back in time and they cannot go forward in time. In fact, they cannot even know things which will happen in the future.

In this verse the Scriptures speak of the "foreknowledge" of God:

"Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ" (1 Pet.1:2).​

It is obvious that God is not constrained by time because He can know things which will happen in the future. Since He is not so constrained then we can know that He exists outside of time so it can be said that He exists in a "timeless" environment.

I agree that the Father is outside of time and that time is part of creation.

What is also clear is He knows how His interactions can alter the future. This is seen in the story of David when Saul had him trapped in a city. David is warned to flee or the city will turn him over to Saul and David will be killed. So this shows how Yah not only knows THE future but all possible futures based on our actions.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The Bible does not mention that aspect of Him.

You cannot show me a verse that indicates that God is outside of time, that He is atemporal, yet I can show you multiple verses throughout the Bible that God has a past, is in the present, and is looking forward to the future.

In the Bible, we see the 7 day week as a MODEL for work and rest for Israel. That is not conjecture like I see you use above.

You're right, it is conjecture. But it's based on the idea that we are at the center of His attention, that He is interested in what we do.

It seems a rational dead-end.

This is one area where I agree. Mayhaps you would want to view kgov.com/time

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Greetings Clete,

Perhaps we have a different understanding of the meaning of the word "constraint." I am using that word in the sense of "the state of being restricted," or to confine within bounds.
Nope. Same understanding.

You cannot be physically constrained by the boundaries of an idea. Time does not exist ontologically. It is an idea.

As mere creatures we are restricted from traveling into the future so in that sense we are "constrained" by time.
No one can go to a place that does not exist, including God.

It is irrational to suggest otherwise.

In fact, we cannot have a definite knowledge of very specific things which will happen in the future, such as knowing who will believe the gospel and who will not.
This is an unsubstantiated claim. You have made no attempt to establish this claim. Even if it is true (which it may well be), the fact that we cannot says nothing about what God can or cannot do. Further, what you'll never be able to establish is that God's knowledge or lack thereof has anything to do with existing outside of time.

That is what I mean when I am talking about the fact that we are constrained by time.
It isn't a fact. Time is not a real thing. It's just a convention of language that we use to convey information about the duration and sequence of events.

But the LORD is not so constrained (Acts 13:48) so we can know that the environment in which He exists, the eternal state, is one which can be described as being timeless.
We know no such thing.

Claims don't just magically turn into facts because you want them too.

I have used the same method which Paul used (he reasoned out of the Scriptures) in coming to my conclusion.
No, you haven't. You've argued for your doctrine from your doctrine.

If you think that anything which I said is in error then I will be willing to listen to what you may have to say.

Thanks!
No, you wouldn't! I've done NOTHING at all on this whole thread except talk about what you've said in error and you couldn't care less, which I specifically predicted before I ever finished typing my first post on this thread. Your argument falls apart in at least two different ways which I spelled out very clearly and to which you have failed to respond at all.