The Sabbath is a What?

genuineoriginal

did it upset you that they found archeological evidence that confirms the Bible stories of idolatry in those areas?
where "Judeans" would have lived in the 2nd Millennium BC, in Judeae.....?
No, I read the Bible, where God had issue with the children of Israel that lived in Judea for not following His commandments and turning to idolatry by following after the religious practices of the nations that inhabited the land before them.

Deuteronomy 18:9-12
9 When thou art come into the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.
10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch.
11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord: and because of these abominations the Lord thy God doth drive them out from before thee.​

Using Judean as a synonym for idolater is a sign of your lack of knowledge. You can fix this by studying the proper use of the term Judean. Judean is used to describe the JEWISH inhabitants of Judea and the JEWISH practices they followed, which specifically condemned idolatry.

If you want to insist on using a regional name for a group of people that were idolaters, use the name of the prior inhabitants who were the true idol worshippers, Canaanites.

Psalm 106:37-39
37 Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto devils,
38 And shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and of their daughters, whom they sacrificed unto the idols of Canaan: and the land was polluted with blood.
39 Thus were they defiled with their own works, and went a whoring with their own inventions.​

jeremysdemo

I guess not, Doormat....:)

all that has needed to be said has been, IMHO.

more from that article:
Distinguishing between insider and outsider groups and their differing nomenclatures is essential for accurate interpretation and translation. Jesus and his earliest followers, evidence demonstrates, were called ‘Israelites’, ‘Galileans’, or ‘Nazoreans’ by their fellow Israelites. ‘Israel’, ‘Israelites’ were the preferred terms of self-designation among members of the house of Israel when addressing other members—not 0Ioudai~oj ,‘Jew’ or ‘Judaism.’ Modern interpreters and translators of the Bible, it is argued, should respect and follow this insider preference. 0Ioudai~oj, an outsider coinage, is best rendered ‘Judaean,’ not ‘Jew’, to reflect the explicit or implied connection with Judaea. It was employed by Israelites when addressing outsiders as an accommodation to outsider usage.

I'll wait and see if C responds to reply more.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Are we to reject the commandment of God?

Mark 7:9
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.​

Did Paul not write that those who esteem every day alike were not to use their freedom to cause others to stumble?

Romans 14:13
13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.​

Are not the doers of the law justified by God, even without the covenant?

Romans 2:13-15
13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another; )​

If the command is not to us then we are not required to follow it.

Are you under the law?

Doormat

And what about this, Lighthouse?

And what do you make of the claims of the early church historians Salminius Hermias Sozomenus (c. 400 – c. 450) and Socrates Scholasticus (c. 380 - ?)?

In Sozomenus' Ecclesiastical History (Book VII) he claims:

The people of Constantinople, and almost everywhere, assemble together on the Sabbath, as well as on the first day of the week, which custom is never observed at Rome or at Alexandria.

He even calls the seventh day "the Sabbath."

In Socrates Scholasticus' Church History (Book V) he claims:

For although almost all churches throughout the world celebrate the sacred mysteries on the sabbath of every week, yet the Christians of Alexandria and at Rome, on account of some ancient tradition, have ceased to do this.

Scholasticus' history covers the years 305-439.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
I would encourage all those involved in the discussion who have not read The Plot to please do so. The issue of the Sabbath is just one topic discussed within The Plot and Bob painstakingly goes through a lot of material before ever discussing the Sabbath.

Why?

Because talking about the Sabbath as a standalone topic and not within the overall Plot of the Bible is like trying to understand the Mona Lisa by only looking at her nose.

genuineoriginal

If the command is not to us then we are not required to follow it.
If the ten commandments were not to us, then Paul would not have said this:

Ephesians 6:2
2 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;​

Are you under the law?
If I love God, what do I do?

1 John 5:3
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.​

Doormat

Why?

Because talking about the Sabbath as a standalone topic and not within the overall Plot of the Bible is like trying to understand the Mona Lisa by only looking at her nose.

Then I suppose Bob shouldn't have recorded a show on that standalone topic and Jefferson shouldn't have titled the thread as he did, but since they did here we are.

keypurr

Hebrews 4

King James Version (KJV)

8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

Do what you do to please the Lord, To me, it is to keep his commandments. ALL of them in the spirit that Christ taught them.

keypurr

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I know that Jesus was a Jew but the TEN are for mankind.

Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

keypurr

The Ten tell us what good and Evil are. Adam knew them.

Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever:

Adam knew sin which is transgression of the Law.
And he was not a Jew, just a man.

Choleric

Proving it can be kept by someone who is not under a law.

So are you claiming that if Adam had gathered sticks for a fire or picked some fruit to eat, that God would have killed him?

You made that up.

then please show me a verse anywhere in the bible that speaks of adam having knowledge of ever, one time, ever observing the sabbath. you can't and therefore wont

When someone imitates God, who did rest on the seventh day according to scripture, why would that person need a commandment telling him to rest on the Sabbath? The point of the commandment is to constrain those who would violate Sabbath.

You are continuing to make things up to make your theory fit. You can't show sabbath observance prior to the exodus so you are inventing theology to make adam observe the sabbath as though he were obeying God. You are desperate.

It's the same with any commandment in the Decalogue. Do you need a law telling you to not murder your brother because if there was no law you would murder your brother? If so, then you are still under the law. If you no longer have the heart of a murderer, then you are not under that law, not subject to it, because your heart is above the idea of breaking it.

The point is, no matter how hard you try, sabbath observance didnt come on the scene until the exodus and the formation of a nation, which God chose and then gave the law to. That nation, and no other, was responsible to keep the law. Much like abraham had never heard of circumcision until God told him about it, sabbath observance was not in existence until the Jew.

Then you are implicitly arguing that God made the sabbath for man to accomplish nothing for man. You are becoming more irrational with every post.

are you going to claim that a jew should keep the law in order to attempt to please God? Is that your claim? Attempting to get to heaven by keeping the law is not going to help anyone, Jew or gentile. The law of sabbath observance came with moses and left with Christ. It will be back in the millenium but during the age of grace, we are not under the law of moses.

If Paul is the author of Hebrews, he certainly did mention the Sabbath: See Hebrews 4:3-10.

Hebrews 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

The context is clearly the seventh day of the week.

The context is Christ. I have entered into Christ and just as Christ finished His work when He sat down, I have ceased from mine.

I am judging your poor argument that contradicts many scriptures and common sense as being increasingly irrational. Where have I judged you regarding your not keeping the sabbath? Below I will show you judging me for keeping the sabbath, hypocrite.

How is believing the bible irrational? Simple bible belief with logic shows you are in error.

1- the sabbath is a part of the law of moses
2- the sabbath observance was to be a sign between God and Israel
3- I am not under the law of moses but under grace.
4- I am not required to keep the sabbath.

My point was that if you claim the day is still sanctified and holy, if you treat it as common you are not treating it as holy. By your admission, you are treating what is holy as common. You given some lame reasons for doing that, but it doesn't change the fact proven by your own words--you are treating what is holy as common.

perhaps we are talking past each other. What do you mean by "keep the sabbath"? Do you want to stone those who work on the sabbath, or do you just want to sleep in on saturday and take it easy? Are we instituting sabbath observance as given to the jew which came with rules and punishments or do you just want "the day off?"

Can you choose to murder, commit idolatry, commit adultery, and covet all you want, too?

so when I say I esteem all days alike, are you saying Paul was a heretic for saying so? The sins you list above are all revealed to men by nature. In all countries and tribes on earth ever, those are common which is why every nation on earth has laws against them. But sabbath observance is another story. If not specifically commanded by God, men do not observe it as is easily demonstrated by those same nations where there does not exist a single law regarding sabbath keeping. Your list above is naturally revealed, like the existence of God is. Sabbath observance is not naturally revealed which is why nobody kept it before moses and no nation on earth anywhere has anything remotely like it now.

There you are judging me, hypocrite. And I'm not observing days, month, years, etc.

So the sabbath isn't a day?

Paul wasn't writing to the Galatians about the seveth day sabbath; that's only your faulty assumption.

I am sure you believe that, only it is not true. In order to make your theory work you have to prove that:

1- we are still under the law of moses (which we are clearly not)
2- or that the sabbath was not a part of the law of moses (which it clearly is, right there in the ten)
3- and that the sabbath is not a "day" (as you clumsily assert above)
4- and that the sabbath is not a "holy day"
5- and that Paul, a pharisee of pharisees, didn't have in mind the sabbath when he said "some men esteem all days alike"
6- and that any person prior to the nation of Israel kept the sabbath
7- and that the council in acts 15 forgot to add sabbath keeping to their decree

You have quite a mountain to climb :thumb:

You do that. I have given you ample evidence for my position.

You have not given evidence, you have attempted to piece together various points to make a conclusion fit your theory which stands against the clear second grade reading comprehension language of Scripture. The sabbath was a part of the law, I am not under that law. whatever "logic" you attempt to enter into the discussion is cut of at the knees with clear passages that need no interpretation.

So God did not make the sabbath for Choleric. Is that correct? Because if he made it for you, too, then logically you should have realized a benefit from it.

I have never kept the sabbath. I regularly cook meals and work around the house on saturday. CHrist is my rest.

You are mistaken. First, you have already conceded the day is still sanctified, so... Second, Hebrews 4:3-10 proves there remains a sabbath rest for the people of God

Christ is my rest

Third, the Decalogue is still in operation, proven by Paul's words, e.g. 1 Corinthians 6:9,10. Therefore, it is evident that I have not made it up.

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Please explain to me how these verses contradict the passages that teach we are not under the law?

Look, you have essentially claimed Israel today doesn't have to keep the sabbath commandment. Now you concede it's a perpetual covenant. So does Israel have to keep the sabbath commandment of not? If not, then how is it a perpetual covenant, and why is it mentioned regarding the future,

It is perpetual, but keeping it today is meaningless as the only way to please God now is to trust Christ alone for salvation. "repentance from dead works and faith toward God". It will be reinstituted during the millenium.

and why were almost all Christians keeping the seventh day sabbath in the fourth and fifth centuries according to two church historians of the era?

what some people did is irrelevant to me. People were trying to keep the law in the first century. Paul called them "foolish galatians"
There is a way that seems right to a man. That "way" is to do something for God. that is the common thread of all religions of the world, they are all trying to earn God's approval with works. But Jesus said He is "THE WAY" and men only come to God by Him. Trusting Christ is the only way and to do that we must repent of "dead works" which are man's attempts to please God. The galatians had trouble staying on the straight and narrow and trusting Christ alone and wanted to go back to working, what Paul called the "weak and beggarly elements". It shoudl come as no surprise to see many sects reverting to works, it comes naturally.

Regardless, Paul was referring to Jeremiah 11:16 when he taught Gentiles were grafted onto the Olive Tree (Israel/Christ). You completely ignored my point to make absolutely no point. Find all the symbols of Israel in the Bible if you want, but it will not change the fact that Paul was referring Jeremiah 11:16 and that Israel was/is a type of Christ for the world.

God is very specific with His trees and Israel is the fig.

Nope. And I don't believe at this point you even understand what it means to be dead to the law. Paul claimed to "serve the law of God" with his mind, so maybe it's you that need the refresher on Romans 7.

I understand it perfectly. If I get a speeding ticket, I am responsible to pay. If I die, the law has no power over me. It cannot collect on the bill. Similarly, the law of moses is only over those who are alive. The power of sin is the law, which condemns and convicts and leads to death. Since I have died with Christ and been raised to newness of life, the law has no power over me.

While I am expected to live a holy life and expected to live without sin, if I do sin, the law cannot convict me because I am dead. It has no jurisdiction over me any longer. It cannot collect any debt as I cannot incur one.

Now you accuse me again of something I'm not doing.

You just said the decalouge is still in effect. Which is it? Perhaps we are talking past each other. Again I ask, what would you like to do to a person who cooks breakfast on saturday morning? Do you want to stone them or just encourage them to take the day off?

You are mistaken. Colossians 2:14 is about the Mosaic ordinances. That's dealing with unintentional transgression, e.g. Leviticus 15:30. It is not about the Decalogue. Paul taught Christians to keep the Decalogue, e.g. Ephesians 6:2.

We are taught to live holy lives, but we are not under the jurisdiction of the law as we are dead and the law has no power over a dead man. Furthermore, the Jewish council in acts did not mention sabbath keeping when deciding what aspects of the law a member of the body of CHrist was responsible to keep.

5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.
10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:
24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

This is really quite simple. You are attempting to prove something that is patently false. There is no scriptural support for your position at all in any testament. WHat you have is a pile of conjecture mixed with a denial of clear scripture which you have compiled to place a yoke (vs 10 above) on the church. You are wrong.

keypurr

Moses knew the Sabbath before the Law

Exo 16:4 Then said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no.
Exo 16:5 And it shall come to pass, that on the sixth day they shall prepare that which they bring in; and it shall be twice as much as they gather daily.

Exo 16:22 And it came to pass, that on the sixth day they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for one man: and all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses.
Exo 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, Tomorrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake today, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.
Exo 16:24 And they laid it up till the morning, as Moses bade: and it did not stink, neither was there any worm therein.
Exo 16:25 And Moses said, Eat that today; for today is a sabbath unto the LORD: today ye shall not find it in the field.
Exo 16:26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.
Exo 16:28 And the LORD said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?
Exo 16:29 See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.
Exo 16:30 So the people rested on the seventh day.

Exo 18:15 And Moses said unto his father-in-law, Because the people come unto me to inquire of God:
Exo 18:16 When they have a matter, they come unto me; and I judge between one and another, and I do make them known the statutes of God, and his laws.
Exo 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
Exo 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Romans 2:9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek,

Romans 2:10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Romans 2:11 For there is no partiality with God.

Romans 2:12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law;

Romans 2:13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.

Romans 2:14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves,

Romans 2:15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

Romans 2:16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

Doormat

then please show me a verse anywhere in the bible that speaks of adam having knowledge of ever, one time, ever observing the sabbath. you can't and therefore wont

Since the sabbath was ordained on the seventh day by God (Ge 2:3), and our Lord said the sabbath was made for mankind (Mk 2:27), it follows that Adam was given and had knowledge of what was made for him.

Doormat

While I am expected to live a holy life and expected to live without sin, if I do sin, the law cannot convict me because I am dead.

How do you sin if you are not under the law?

Sin is transgression of the law (1Jn 3:4). When you claim you sin, you necessarily are claiming that you measure your behavior against the standard of the law (Ro 7:7). It follows that you believe you keep and violate laws.

You have defeated your position. :e4e:

Doormat

Doormat said:
Regardless, Paul was referring to Jeremiah 11:16 when he taught Gentiles were grafted onto the Olive Tree (Israel/Christ). You completely ignored my point to make absolutely no point. Find all the symbols of Israel in the Bible if you want, but it will not change the fact that Paul was referring Jeremiah 11:16 and that Israel was/is a type of Christ for the world.
God is very specific with His trees and Israel is the fig.

You do not seem to understand that the fig tree being a symbol for Israel is irrelevant to my point, and that Jeremiah 11:16 and Paul's use of that scripture in his epistle to the Romans proves Gentiles were grafted onto Israel/Christ. See my previous posts for the additional scriptures I provided you supporting that point.

Doormat

What do you mean by "keep the sabbath"? Do you want to stone those who work on the sabbath, or do you just want to sleep in on saturday and take it easy? Are we instituting sabbath observance as given to the jew which came with rules and punishments or do you just want "the day off?"

I would tell them that the seventh day is still sanctified and to remember that, and to teach their children and their employees the seventh day is sanctified. I would also tell them the seventh day is a day of rest for man ordained by God, and that they should not compel others to work for them on that day. I would explain to them that hospitals would still have power and a staff on Saturdays even if everyone in that hospital and everyone at the power company kept the seventh-day sabbath.

The sabbath commandment is another way of typifying the gospel. By resting as God rests, we attest to the fact we believe we are in His image and likeness, and we attest to others that they are in His image and likeness. The sabbath is a testimony to the world, a delight, like a day off from work; and it's not a ritual any more than a day off from work is.

If I was an employer, I would close up shop on Saturdays for the sabbath. If my business was part of the critical infrastructure, I would not force employees to work on Saturdays, but with a work force of believers I would not expect to be short volunteers for Saturday service.

And I would stand in front my employees and say: "If you believe the gospel brothers and sisters, then you know I am not Lord over you. Let this day be symbolic of that fact and the sovereign life of Christ in you upon which your liberty rests."

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Is Israel still required to keep the sabbath commandment?
Not currently, as the covenant is on hold due to the rejection of Jesus as Messiah.

I'm not based on my understanding, but don't know what you mean by "under the law." What do you mean exactly?
As in required to keep it to be in God's favor.

And what about this, Lighthouse?
Helpful tip:

When not quoting a post use the "box" tags instead, so the issue remains when your post is quoted.

And what do you make of the claims of the early church historians Salminius Hermias Sozomenus (c. 400 – c. 450) and Socrates Scholasticus (c. 380 - ?)?

In Sozomenus' Ecclesiastical History (Book VII) he claims:

The people of Constantinople, and almost everywhere, assemble together on the Sabbath, as well as on the first day of the week, which custom is never observed at Rome or at Alexandria.
He even calls the seventh day "the Sabbath."

In Socrates Scholasticus' Church History (Book V) he claims:

For although almost all churches throughout the world celebrate the sacred mysteries on the sabbath of every week, yet the Christians of Alexandria and at Rome, on account of some ancient tradition, have ceased to do this.
Scholasticus' history covers the years 305-439.

See?

Now, to answer the question...

Still calling it the Sabbath is not necessarily an issue, as that word is merely a name for the day of the week; simply meaning "seventh day."

Assembling on the Sabbath is also not wrong.

As to whether or not it is required of us in the Body of Christ, Paul wrote:

One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it.
-Romans 14:5-6

I prefer to esteem the Lord not just on the seventh day, but all seven days.

If the ten commandments were not to us, then Paul would not have said this:

Ephesians 6:2
2 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;​

Being not under the law does not exclude us from that which we should do anyway, regardless of rules and regulations.

If I love God, what do I do?

1 John 5:3
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.​

John wrote to the 12 tribes; I am in the Body of Christ. Different dispensation.