The Gospel Of Thomas

JosephR

Wonderful! Just wonderful! :D

Excellent thoughts and replies! (Except mine... I've been having too many late nights with early mornings following....)

Love 'em!

Hope you are doing well, and FYI I love your thought and replies :) I'm at work for next five days so feel free to post next saying anyone! Cheers and Godbless !

Posted from the TOL App!

Levolor

I don't recall right off any scripture that correlates to this one...

I just read a verse that may apply to #42. Made me think of it anyhow:

Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it and pass away. Proverbs 4:15

"Be passers by."

Yeah, be a witness, but don't get involved with the evil of this world and become like it. Cool. :)

Levolor

Hope you are doing well, and FYI I love your thought and replies :) I'm at work for next five days so feel free to post next saying anyone! Cheers and Godbless !

Posted from the TOL App!

Thank you, Joseph. How very kind of you to say so. And yes, I am doing well... blessed. :) Let us do give God the glory and praise... for every good gift comes down from the Father of lights, Amen. (James 1:17)

I too will be leaving town next week: Thursday through Sunday. So, when you get back, I'll be leaving.

God bless you, always and in all ways.

JosephR

(43) His disciples said to him:
Who are you, that you say
these things to us? From what
I say to you, do you not know
who I am? But you have
become like the Jews; for
they love the tree (and) hate
its fruit, and they love the fruit
(and) hate the tree.

JosephR

(44) Jesus said: He who blasphemes against the Father will be forgiven, and he who blasphemes against the Son will be forgiven; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either on earth or in heaven.

bybee

(43) His disciples said to him:
Who are you, that you say
these things to us? From what
I say to you, do you not know
who I am? But you have
become like the Jews; for
they love the tree (and) hate
its fruit, and they love the fruit
(and) hate the tree.

Indeed Joseph, and there are also those who cannot see the forest for the trees. They dwell on one thing to the exclusion of the big picture.
God has the big picture in mind.

JosephR

Indeed Joseph, and there are also those who cannot see the forest for the trees. They dwell on one thing to the exclusion of the big picture.

God has the big picture in mind.

Yes indeed your right, and as Jesus told them they loved persecuting by the Law but forgot what the Law was for and forgot the most important points of mercy and love. :)

Posted from the TOL App!

JosephR

(44) Jesus said: He who blasphemes against the Father will be forgiven, and he who blasphemes against the Son will be forgiven; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either on earth or in heaven.

This I have seen come up in topic lately,So what does it mean that you can do this to the Father and the Son and be forgiven but not to the Holy Spirit, So it seems to hint it is a spiritual matter.And in those terms God knows the hearts of Men or all things spiritual, so there is no lie's here, only pure truth.

Hope to see your thoughts :)

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
is there a sin beyond forgiveness?.......

is there a sin beyond forgiveness?.......

Commentary portal for this verse here.

It would appear that blasphemy against the Spirit itself, is a much more serious offense, because it is the very essence of reality, whereas doing such unto the Father and Son is something perhaps more 'conceptual' on a relational level,...one's connection with 'spirit' being more 'intimate'.

We would also note that this sin may be committed at any point in time, since the term "on earth or in heaven" allows the possibilities existing in both realms (crossing thru 'time' into 'eternity').

We would ask in what way and how is this 'unforgivable', and the condition and effects on a soul subject to such a state of unforgiveness. On this level the assumption may be problematic since it would seem that the omnipotence and infinity of divine Love could not allow for a sin to exist that is beyond its power to absolve, unless a soul has a personal sovereignty all its own to choose a sin beyond God's ability to forgive.

pj

lifeisgood

This I have seen come up in topic lately,So what does it mean that you can do this to the Father and the Son and be forgiven but not to the Holy Spirit, So it seems to hint it is a spiritual matter.And in those terms God knows the hearts of Men or all things spiritual, so there is no lie's here, only pure truth.

Hope to see your thoughts :)

They blasphemed the Holy Spirit when they accused Christ of casting out devils by the power of Satan (Mark 3:22). “Beel-zebub” was the Philistine god of flies [2 Ki. 1:2]; it meant “the dung god,” or “lord of the dung hill”; a most contemptuous and vile idol and they were saying that Jesus' power came from him and not from God Himself.

According to Merriam - Webster dictionary the word "blasphemy" means "the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God; the act of claiming the attributes of deity; irreverence toward something considered sacred."

For me the 'unpardonable sin' is the rejection of Jesus Christ and what He did at the Cross of Calvary, i.e., His offer of Salvation.

Denying the Holy Spirit's entrance in one's life to work His work of sanctification in us, leaves us soiled with unrighteousness.

So, for me, "blasphemy against the Holy Ghost" is the continuous and persistently stubborn rejection of the gospel of salvation --- Jesus Christ and what He did at the Cross of Calvary.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
unforgiven state; kinds of 'soul-death'.........

unforgiven state; kinds of 'soul-death'.........

They blasphemed the Holy Spirit when they accused Christ of casting out devils by the power of Satan (Mark 3:22). “Beel-zebub” was the Philistine god of flies [2 Ki. 1:2]; it meant “the dung god,” or “lord of the dung hill”; a most contemptuous and vile idol and they were saying that Jesus' power came from him and not from God Himself.

According to Merriam - Webster dictionary the word "blasphemy" means "the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God; the act of claiming the attributes of deity; irreverence toward something considered sacred."

For me the 'unpardonable sin' is the rejection of Jesus Christ and what He did at the Cross of Calvary, i.e., His offer of Salvation.

Denying the Holy Spirit's entrance in one's life to work His work of sanctification in us, leaves us soiled with unrighteousness.

So, for me, "blasphemy against the Holy Ghost" is the continuous and persistently stubborn rejection of the gospel of salvation --- Jesus Christ and what He did at the Cross of Calvary.

Hi, yes.....and the former inquires/propositions stand as shared previously as well. It would be a matter of determining if committing such a sin "once" eternally condemns one to a changless state of being 'unforgiven' (basically a condition of bondage, or whatever this state may entail) for all eternity, unless there is a means of forgiveness, although not specified in the boundless resource of grace. If NOT, then we assume that the sin carries with it a 'final' and 'ultimate' penalty for the soul, to basically render it 'unfree', a veritable 'hell' if you will, but we can only 'speculate'.

The traditional concept of 'ECT' (eternal conscious torment) in some 'hellfire' place is assumed by some, while a true and final 'soul-death' (dis-integration/destruction) of the soul's existence is another view (annihilationism). I challenge ECT here, and explore other options such as 'soul-death' and 'universalism' :)

Reincarnation is also another view included in the soul's eternal progression.

Again,...is God's love infinite? If so, it has no end to its availability or power, so if anything can 'condition' or 'resist' that love,...it must be assumed that a soul has the power to refuse it (individual free will), and ultimately reject it, reaping the result...it being some kind of 'death'. How that 'death' is understood or defined varies among different schools.

pj

JosephR

(45) Jesus said, "Grapes are not harvested from thorns, nor are figs gathered from thistles, for they do not produce fruit. A good man brings forth good from his storehouse; an evil man brings forth evil things from his evil storehouse, which is in his heart, and says evil things. For out of the abundance of the heart he brings forth evil things."

Last edited:

JosephR

(45) Jesus said, "Grapes are not harvested from thorns, nor are figs gathered from thistles, for they do not produce fruit. A good man brings forth good from his storehouse; an evil man brings forth evil things from his evil storehouse, which is in his heart, and says evil things. For out of the abundance of the heart he brings forth evil things."

This may have much deeper meanings but it seems to explain good fruit and bad fruit.And also that some produce no fruit at all.

Showing evil in your heart is bad fruit and good things come from good fruit.

Any thoughts on those who produce none? are they starved out before a chance to show good or bad? like the seed that falls on rock..

meshak

BANNED
Banned
This may have much deeper meanings but it seems to explain good fruit and bad fruit.And also that some produce no fruit at all.

Any thoughts on those who produce none? are they starved out before a chance to show good or bad? like the seed that falls on rock..

If we are serious and true to God and Jesus, the HS helps us to produce godly fruit.

we cannot mock God.

JosephR

(46) Jesus said, "Among those born of women, from Adam until John the Baptist, there is no one so superior to John the Baptist that his eyes should not be lowered (before him). Yet I have said, whichever one of you comes to be a child will be acquainted with the kingdom and will become superior to John."

JosephR

(46) Jesus said, "Among those born of women, from Adam until John the Baptist, there is no one so superior to John the Baptist that his eyes should not be lowered (before him). Yet I have said, whichever one of you comes to be a child will be acquainted with the kingdom and will become superior to John."

This one is very interesting,, discussion can go all the way to the roots of John,believed to be a cousin to Jesus, and the certain sect and traditions they belonged too.Essene.

Who was John to be so great as to never have to feel insecure to any man who ever lived? Jesus likened Him to Elijah one of the Greatest Prophets of God. But He says anyone who becomes like a child"of God" then He will be superior.

This also hints and when Thomas and Jesus talked alone and how Thomas reacted to the other 12 when they asked what Jesus told Him.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
a child shall lead them..............

a child shall lead them..............

Simple child-like faith and trust is all that is essential when setting our inquiry and affection towards our heavenly Father. A child draws from the source by affinity, even before a prophet's calling.

pj

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
the storehouse within.............

the storehouse within.............

Using the analogy of a 'tree'....if something is a 'tree' by nature and design, then it must have some quality within (its constitution), that will bear some kind of 'fruit', eventually expressing itself (as the law of reproduction allows). The nature or quality of the substance within, will reveal itself without. Any kind of fruit is evidence of the nature/quality of the tree.

Also, the 'storehouse' may refer to the soul's archive, containing all its virtues & sins (karmic repository). Whatever is gaining ascendency or becoming more dominant within the soul, will tend to manifest itself, whatever one sets his attention upon. "Where one's treasure is, there their heart shall be also"....so its where one's heart (core) is dwelling at any moment, that determines the fruit of one's experience.

As to your question about any who might not bear fruit,...its only a matter of time. As long as there is movement of energy, life-force, consciousness.....there will be 'produce' of some kind. A living tree will bear branches, leaves, flowers, fruit, unless retarded, dis-eased, stunted in some way. The storehouse is what is already intrinsic within, the 'treasury' of the soul, the inner disposition. A wonderful connection here is given to how the 'heart' and 'mouth' is connected, for "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks".

What is in our hearts? Is our heart pure? How many truly ask God, to make their heart pure? This is so very important, if we would see and know 'God'....for only the pure in heart see....and seeing is everything. In the last days, not only is the Tabernacle of David being restored, but all that comes with David's lineage,...his 'heart' and 'soul'. Out of that springs the anointing.

pj

Daniel1611

I have a book that has the Nag Hamaddi texts in it, one translated by Marvin Meyer. There's some things in the texts like the Gospel of Thomas that are intriguing, but there's a lot I don't like. In the Gospel of Thomas Jesus says Mary Magdalene has to become male to enter the kingdom. It's a strange doctrine. I don't attribute authority to most extrabiblical texts. The Apocrypha that was in the original 1611 KJV and the Book of Enoch I think are a good source for historical information and have some useful info in them. But most of the Nag Hammadi and so called "gnostic" texts are not authoritative at all, in my opinion.