The Gospel Of Thomas

dreadknought

Nathan Bedford Forrest: American Confederate general who was active at the battles of Shiloh (1862) and Chickamauga (1863). He was a founder and the first leader (1867-1869) of the Ku Klux Klan.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
male and female synergy and transcendence.....

male and female synergy and transcendence.....

i don't know what book that's from, but " I will draw her so as to make her male so that she also may become a living spirit like you males.(?) For every woman who has become male will enter the kingdom of heaven." - if anything, that may mean spiritually, but not literally. i know that's not what you're saying, but. we call God - "Father God." but i don't think God is male or female. God created both. why trip on gender ? weird - and i'm a guy sooooo, :wazzup: - "SO AS to make her male" ? - :confused:

Hi pj,

I covered this in a few previous posts here (see all links) {we also correlate this verse with saying 22} - of course the terms 'male' and 'female' have their own definitions within the teaching-school of the compiler, and we can draw other insights from the general cultural/theological context of this collection of sayings to arrive a better translation, plus that this 'secret saying' of Jesus is also referenced in a few other non-canonical writings, which supports its authenticity, noted in my linked posts above.

Directly in the verse, it speaks of 'males' being 'living spirits',....while 'females' where not regarded as 'living spirits', but perhaps 'living souls' only, who became living spirits when they joined fully or merged with the male principle ("becoming male" to use the metaphor), so that this represents a 'divine wedding' of both principles. It does not necessarily negate or void the 'female' element or gender, since Gnostic respect the divine feminine (Sophia, Holy Spirit, etc.) and gave women equal rights and privileges in ministry in some cults. The 'divine marriage' (or 'bridal chamber')...."the making the two one" is a fundamental principle not only in gnostic philosophy, but occult schools universally, since Nature itself reveals the dual genders as a synergized unity of soul and spirit, reflecting the divine Soul and Spirit (God). It is in the merging of both elements as one, where the full glory and divine nature is revealed in totality, as well as that 'marriage' being the genesis of pro-creation.

See: Outshining of gender in the pure radiance of Spirit

The texts that say "making the male and female one, and neither male nor female" speak of a state of prior androgyny, where gender distinctions are vague or wholly transended, including the germinal essence of both genders, yet outshining both as one indivisible Spirit. - to return to that 'original condition' is to have entered into the kingdom of Spirit, becoming one with one's true original essence, the re-turn to 'God'.

See also: Gnostic Christianity: Did Jesus Teach Sacred Union of the Sexes?

pj

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
continuing with saying 47

continuing with saying 47

~*~*~

(47) Jesus said, "It is impossible for a man to mount two horses or to stretch two bows. And it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters; otherwise, he will honor the one and treat the other contemptuously. No man drinks old wine and immediately desires to drink new wine. And new wine is not put into old wineskins, lest they burst; nor is old wine put into a new wineskin, lest it spoil it. An old patch is not sewn onto a new garment, because a tear would result."

-Lambdin

pj

Levolor

i don't know what book that's from, but " I will draw her so as to make her male so that she also may become a living spirit like you males.(?) For every woman who has become male will enter the kingdom of heaven." - if anything, that may mean spiritually, but not literally. i know that's not what you're saying, but. we call God - "Father God." but i don't think God is male or female. God created both. why trip on gender ? weird - and i'm a guy sooooo, :wazzup: - "SO AS to make her male" ? - :confused:

If you rather, you can think of electrical poles with their negative and positive poles.

For me, speaking of the male and female is easier. :)

Granted there is no gender in the spirit, but to consider this spiritual concept, we must see that God is male. Then, we also must consider that all souls, whether they are contained by a male or female body, are female.

Simplified: God is male and all souls are female. Why?

Because God gives. That is what God does: gives, and is therefore male.

Souls can only receive from God and are therefore female.

Yet, when a soul has united, become one, with God, then that soul that was once female is effectively now a male.

That female soul, not body, which has become male by becoming one with God is then able to give spiritually to others who can, as of yet, only receive and are still female whether they are in a male or female body.

See?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
beyond the twilight zone..............

beyond the twilight zone..............

From what I've read, this fiction has no standing, not even in the Twighlight Zone.

I suppose critics of the canonized gospels and NT in general, in various passages could say the same thing towards it. As far as 'religious fiction' and 'mythology' goes, scriptures (of many different and varied religious cult-ures) may carry a fair share, so how one discerns what has spiritual wisdom or value from what does not, is up to the reader and his 'interpretation' thereof.

We of a more liberal eclectic scope, can enjoy and glean from multiple texts, not just those sanctioned as 'orthodox' by the self-appointed 'orthodox', since you cant contain or restrict the breath of God, and its 'breadth' goes much further than standard assumptions.

pj

JosephR

Believing Wiki to be totally accurate isn't what I'd consider, listening to the Gospel. From what I've read, this fiction has no standing, not even in the Twighlight Zone.

Most critics would regard the Gospel of St John as late, because it could not have such esoteric meanings in the writings .... I wouldn't be so fast to take on others options before you take time to make your own.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I'm starting this thread due to a conversation in another thread. You're welcome to join in.

My personal thoughts on the logia.

"Great minds discuss ideas and concepts.
Average minds discuss things and places.
Small minds just talk about other people."

Many great minds have discussed many great ideas over the course of the development of the human consciousness. Contributions to the collective consciousness have been added throughout something we call history. We can index these contributions by date.

I have to take that into consideration while examining any text. I ask, where did this come from? Much of the logia are paralleled in the NT and those date back to Torah. Others have their parallels elsewhere. We are looking at a Coptic translation.

The Wiki article has info about the text and dating for those in doubt about what is believed about this text by others. How we know of it's existence from other texts (in their time) and so on.

Having said I that, I see the sayings (logia) as a collection of one particular "wisdom" of that time. I try to trace the source in time to see what school of thought produced it. The disciples (students) were sent out into the world; that's when they became Apostles. That's what the word means; sent out. It's the same root for the word postal i.e. to send something by the post office.

We see from various texts that these apostles (or whoever actually wrote the text in the name of the Apostles) did not always teach in the same manner with exactly the same understanding. That is the same thing we see in the real world today. A man goes to school and learns to be a preacher. Thousands of men attended the same course, received the same degree and teach different doctrine. Nothing new here.

So, as we go through the logia I will be asking for the origin (timewise) for the thought behind it. That will hopefully become more clear as/if the thread progresses.

After the discovery of Q, many began to say that the idea of a "sayings gospel" was ridiculous. Then came the discovery of Thomas.
Both gospels--Q and Thomas--were basically the same length.

Neither one has anything to say about the crucifixion or the Resurrection. They were basically manuals of Jesus' teachings.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Where is your 'evidence' ?

Where is your 'evidence' ?

There's no evidence of either.

There is no conclusive or absolute evidence that the persons whose names were attached to the 4 canonical gospels were the actual authors of the books attributed to them. While some may have more traditional/historical testimonial support by some early notables, still....you take it by 'faith' and 'tradition' that these persons actually wrote these works. (no one really knows). Furthermore, they could have been written by disciples of these persons (or persons associated by the same school affiliation), or just be mere traditional or attributed 'assumptions',....that the faith community just 'took for granted'. - take your pick.

Also, the so called "Q" document is hypothetical, or if any other 'sayings collection' existed (or may yet be discovered), while the GoT is an example of an early 'sayings collection' of Jesus teaching. While the GoT can be challenged by various persons or on certain points,....so can the canonicals. Just because some books made it into the 'church sanctioned' NT (via their canonization process)...doesn't make those book 'authentic', yet merely 'traditionally accepted' by believers in that tradition. We might note the 'distinction'.

pj

Aimiel

There is no conclusive or absolute evidence that the persons whose names were attached to the 4 canonical gospels were the actual authors of the books attributed to them.
There is no conclusive or absolute evidence of anything. ANYTHING. All we have are suppositions and things made evident by study, tidbits of evidence and understanding. The evidence of the Gospels themselves as well as all extraneous evidence speaking of the four evangelists (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) all point to them being the actual authors. What there is NO evidence of is that they were written by others. You should read Dr. Simon Greenleaf's book, "The Testimony of the Evangelists, Examined by the Rules of Evidence Administered in Courts of Justice," which takes every shred of evidence provided ONLY by the four Gospels and proves (according to the rules of evidence in jurisprudence) that They are authentic. Dr. Greenleaf was a professor of law at Harvard Law School and one of the founders of Harvard and considered the world's foremost authority on legal evidence.
While some may have more traditional/historical testimonial support by some early notables, still....you take it by 'faith' and 'tradition' that these persons actually wrote these works.
Yes, I do, just as you take the nonsense you believe on faith and tradition. Your false gods have far less proof in print and far fewer collaborators than The God of Scripture.
Furthermore, they could have been written by disciples of these persons (or persons associated by the same school affiliation), or just be mere traditional or attributed 'assumptions',....that the faith community just 'took for granted'. - take your pick.
Read Dr. Greenleaf's book. They provide far more proof than you've suspected.
Just because some books made it into the 'church sanctioned' NT (via their canonization process)...doesn't make those book 'authentic', yet merely 'traditionally accepted' by believers in that tradition. We might note the 'distinction'.
The main distinction I see is that the Gospels lend to Truth and wholly agree with The Holy Scriptures. God knew what would end up in authorized translations and didn't mis-spell a single Word.

daqq

I'm starting this thread due to a conversation in another thread. You're welcome to join in.

My personal thoughts on the logia.

"Great minds discuss ideas and concepts.
Average minds discuss things and places.
Small minds just talk about other people."

Many great minds have discussed many great ideas over the course of the development of the human consciousness. Contributions to the collective consciousness have been added throughout something we call history. We can index these contributions by date.

I have to take that into consideration while examining any text. I ask, where did this come from? Much of the logia are paralleled in the NT and those date back to Torah.

Here is a link to The Gospel Of Thomas. http://gnosis.org/naghamm/gthlamb.html

This text is on a Gnostic website but it is just the text itself and we do not need to know anything about Gnosticisim but those who do know something about it are welcome to share.

The Gospel Of Thomas (GT or logia from here on) is a collection of sayings that Jesus is reported to have spoke.

The introduction to the text says:

These are the secret sayings which the living Jesus spoke and which Didymos Judas Thomas wrote down.
(1) And he said, "Whoever finds the interpretation of these sayings will not experience death."

As mentioned in the OP. Apostles were "sent out". They were sent out to make disciples and they each had their own followers and their own teaching and their own teaching style.

If one examines the Hebrew writings one can see that the teachings and I mean hours and hours of teaching for years sometimes, are summed up in phrases and even one word for some teachings. You can see this in the names of the sages, Rabash for example is Rav Baruch Ashlog. If one cannot grasp this concept the 4 letter tetragrammaton for the name of God will not be understood. That name is the patten for all creation. It means, in essence, to be/to exist.

:thumb:

Hello unknown, nice thread, (and thanks to freelight for pointing me here). :)

Here is 19.Should be alot to discuss on this one.

Jesus said, “Blessed is he who came into being before he came into being. If you become my disciples and listen to my words, these stones will minister to you. For there are five trees for you in Paradise which remain undisturbed summer and winter and whose leaves do not fall. Whoever becomes acquainted with them will not experience death”.

Hi JosephR, :)

Yes, there is so much that can be discussed from just this one passage, it is truly as unknown said in some of the opening remarks quoted herein above, "hours and hours of teaching for years sometimes, are summed up in phrases and even one word for some teachings." I have divided this response into several separate posts so that hopefully my reply will not be deemed "too lengthy" by those who seem to care so much about the length of the posts of their perceived "enemies", (from previous experience here already). I had studied the Mishkan Tabernacle for quite some time before I ever came to the realization of the things which follow below and must say that these things did not begin to fully click until I came upon Thomas #19. If it were not for this passage I doubt I would have ever understood these things the way I do now:

Exodus 26:36-37
36. And you shall make a screen-curtain for the door of the Ohel-Tent, of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen, the work of the embroiderer.
37. And you shall make for the screen-curtain five pillars of shittiym-acacia-thornwood, and shall overlay them with gold: their hooks shall be of gold: and you shall cast five 'adney-['eden]-sockets of brass for them.