The Gospel Of Thomas

lifeisgood

Logia 41 Jesus said, “Whoever has something in his hand will receive more, and whoever has nothing will be deprived of even the little he has”.

See here for parallel
Matthew 25:14,15,16,17,30

Mat 25:14 Represents Christ at His first Advent.
Mat 25:15 Every single Believer, none is excluded, is given a proper Ministry.
Mat 25:16 Talents awarded according to faithfulness.
Mat 25:17 The person was faithful with what he/she had.
Mat 25:18 The person was not faithful.
Mat 25:19 When a person dies His service to the Lord ends; however, the reckoning is reserved for the Rapture.
Mat 25:20 Take place at the Judgment Seat of Christ.
Mat 25:21 As is obvious, it is faithfulness here that is being rewarded; contrary to popular thought, God has not called us to be successful, but rather to be faithful.
Mat 25:22 Faithfulness.
Mat 25:23 Both received equal rewards; the criterion being faithfulness and not other things.
Mat 25:24 He lied, pure and simple.
Mat 25:25 The purpose of the talent was not preservation, but rather, multiplication; his actions proclaims not only indolence, but as well, insolence; untold numbers, who claim to be Christians, fall in this category — they do not use their talent for God.
Mat 25:26 If you really believed that, you would not have done what you did.
Mat 25:27 Sadly, the majority of professors of religion, fall into this category.
Mat 25:28 This is the law of the faithful; light rejected, is light taken, and given to the one who already has an abundance of light.
Mat 25:29 Observe religious denominations, which have rejected the light and you can see this happening.
Mat 25:30 They not merely lose reward, but rather their souls.

Levolor

Actually, that's not exactly how it happened. So out of fear that I'm mismanaging this lesson, I'll attempt to be more accurate. This is also why I've waited for proper opportunities to share it, so that the reception will be optimal.

I wasn't even reading this parable with the intent to decipher it when the Holy Spirit guided me to make the connection between the parable and the verses interpreting what the talents are. I was reading various passages in the NT and got curious about what they were exactly but moved on to other passages when I couldn't figure it out. It was the Spirit that made me take notice of the connection while I was perusing thru the Gospels. I experienced the aha moment and shared it with Scott, but this was before TOL so I soon forgot all about it because I didn't have much spiritual interaction with people before I came here.

Once I became active on the site I was trying to think of things that I could share and sought to remember this piece of information that made me exclaim eureka inside, but it was lost. I had to do a fresh study to try and find it again. It was during this more in depth observation of the passage that I discovered it was because I didn't do enough with the understanding that I lost it and that the Spirit was giving it back to me because my motive in retrieving it was to use it to produce more like the parable instructs us to do.

Amen. Hallelujah!

This reminds me of a show ... of a Joyce Meyer's teaching. She was talking about the time when Jesus was 12 and He was teaching in the temple.

His parents were traveling home and discovered that He was not with them and when they returned to Jerusalem to find Him it took them three days to find Him.

Her point ended up being that we may receive Christ in one day, but if we lose Him (close interaction... if this closeness is lost) that it can take three days to find Him again.

Sorta like you having an EUREKA moment and then when going to retrieve it, it took a while. i.e:

...because I didn't do enough with the understanding that I lost it and that the Spirit was giving it back to me because my motive in retrieving it was to use it to produce more like the parable instructs us to do.

God is so good!

JosephR

42, I am not at my PC I am out of town working for the next 7 days so if someone can post it I appreciate it in advance. If not I will find it tomorrow and post .

Posted from the TOL App!

Levolor

42, I am not at my PC I am out of town working for the next 7 days so if someone can post it I appreciate it in advance. If not I will find it tomorrow and post .

Posted from the TOL App!

I'm sorta feeling like finding it and posting it tomorrow:yawn::yawn::yawn: too.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Continuing forward.....

Continuing forward.....

~*~*~

For those interested, another resource page on the GOT is here (Allan Cronshaw articles), following along the lines of Esoteric, Ebionite, Nazarene, Gnostic traditions.

~*~*~

Continuing sayings commentary:

(42) Jesus said, "Become passers-by."

This is subject to various meanings, but essentially I see it as an instruction to let the world pass you by, and be a quiet insightful observer of what is transient (what comes and goes), while you remain established in the heart of your true Self (the 'light' that you are), that pure awareness that is the witness of all movements, the eternal seer.

~*~*~

GOT commentary portal.

pj

Levolor

Continuing sayings commentary:

(42) Jesus said, "Become passers-by."

This is subject to various meanings, but essentially I see it as an instruction to let the world pass you by, and be a quiet insightful observer of what is transient (what comes and goes), while you remain established in the heart of your true Self (the 'light' that you are), that pure awareness that is the witness of all movements, the eternal seer.

pj

Oooohhh... I really like this one! It is so important too.

I agree with your assessment, too.

There's a Sufi teaching on staying in the 'hub' of a wheel... everything revolves around it, while the center... while being in the center there is no movement. Movement, i.e. drama, roller coaster emotions... just centered in peace and tranquility without the need or desire to get attached to anything 'out there'.

And, that reminds me of a John Lennon song... something about letting the world go round and round. Just sitting here letting the world go round and round.

This one (#42) also reminds me of the #2: "2. Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]"

It is disturbing seeing reality for what it really is, and astounding, and surprising. And then afterwards, rest comes.

I don't recall right off any scripture that correlates to this one... maybe:

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

and maybe also:

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

In other words: Be unaffected by all the drama that goes on around us, except to stay in peace and compassion. It is indeed from this point of being that a person is one with God.

Hallelujah.

JosephR

There's a Sufi teaching on staying in the 'hub' of a wheel... everything revolves around it, while the center... while being in the center there is no movement. Movement, i.e. drama, roller coaster emotions... just centered in peace and tranquility without the need or desire to get attached to anything 'out there'.

And, that reminds me of a John Lennon song... something about letting the world go round and round. Just sitting here letting the world go round and round.

This one (#42) also reminds me of the #2: "2. Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]"

It is disturbing seeing reality for what it really is, and astounding, and surprising. And then afterwards, rest comes.

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

and maybe also:

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

In other words: Be unaffected by all the drama that goes on around us, except to stay in peace and compassion. It is indeed from this point of being that a person is one with God.

Hallelujah.

Yes I agree for the most part about the hub and the outside then I wonder if we are beating the system and if we are meant to, and of coarse our LordChrist Jesus did but , it is a part so the experience for a reason and the question arises should we leave it completely after al the Father did make it for a reason.. Maybe it is a learning tool but also should we consider it a blessing .... Does the hamster appreciate the wheel enough ? " ponders "

Posted from the TOL App!

JosephR

and maybe also:

Hallelujah.

However here at work this does help, to know the time will pass, the days will end and nights will come, working hard 12 hours days it tests a mans soul.. But then I know a day will come I will think back and relish the days, this is my connection to my observer and the part of me that knows God from which I draw all my strength , and I pray every morning for, and He does full fill and sustain me...

Just some random thoughts..

Posted from the TOL App!

JosephR

(43) His disciples said to him: Who are you, that you say these things to us? <Jesus said to them:> From what I say to you, do you not know who I am? But you have become like the Jews; for they love the tree (and) hate its fruit, and they love the fruit (and) hate the tree.

JosephR

(43) His disciples said to him: Who are you, that you say these things to us? <Jesus said to them:> From what I say to you, do you not know who I am? But you have become like the Jews; for they love the tree (and) hate its fruit, and they love the fruit (and) hate the tree.

Luke 6:43-45

Matt 7:15-20

Matt 12:33

Jesus said why do you call me Lord but do not obey me?

For no good tree can provide bad fruit.. so the question in itself remains a mystery.

Levolor

However here at work this does help, to know the time will pass, the days will end and nights will come, working hard 12 hours days it tests a mans soul.. But then I know a day will come I will think back and relish the days, this is my connection to my observer and the part of me that knows God from which I draw all my strength , and I pray every morning for, and He does full fill and sustain me...

Just some random thoughts..

Posted from the TOL App!

It is praiseworthy to be able to put things into perspective the way you have done here.

Levolor

Luke 6:43-45

Matt 7:15-20

Matt 12:33

Jesus said why do you call me Lord but do not obey me?

For no good tree can provide bad fruit.. so the question in itself remains a mystery.

That is a good question. Is there any additional info to be had in #43?

I'll have to think on this one a bit.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Undivided Light..................

Undivided Light..................

Interesting that Jesus points them back to understanding the 'teaching', where his true identity is revealed, since the word springs from the original tree of life (the Spirit-source itself). Then he likens them to being as the Jews.... loving the 'tree' (the source), but despising its fruit (produce/offspring)...then on the flip side loving the 'fruit' (produce)...but hating (not honoring or recognizing) the tree. The delimma here is a 'dis-association' of some kind.....since in 'truth'....the 'tree' and its 'fruit' are one. If you love one and hate the other, you are divided (confused).

pj

JosephR

Interesting that Jesus points them back to understanding the 'teaching', where his true identity is revealed, since the word springs from the original tree of life (the Spirit-source itself). Then he likens them to being as the Jews.... loving the 'tree' (the source), but despising its fruit (its produce/offspring)...then on the flip side loving the 'fruit' (produce)...but hating (not honoring or recognizing) the tree. The delimma here is a 'dis-association' of some kind.....since in 'truth'....the 'tree' and its 'fruit' are one.

pj

This is just basic , things for men to do without thought..

And we are reminded by the Son of Man to always be aware and on guard of what your carnal instincts will points you towards,and to re direct and re calibrate your self compass..

these things we see all the time.. and the lost ship does not know He is lost,, but must ask the bird who does not care...

JosephR

and we allways ask the wrong questions to the right person and vice versa..

and this is why He calls us Children... and Children we must,, MUST be..

Levolor

Wonderful! Just wonderful! :D

Excellent thoughts and replies! (Except mine... I've been having too many late nights with early mornings following....)

Love 'em!