The Gospel Of Thomas

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
abandoning all for truth..........

abandoning all for truth..........

At least it exists or has been found as a separate sayings gospel or collection, while the theoretical "Q" is just a speculated source for many of the sayings of the synoptic gospels, imagined by scholars. I suppose its 'bs' is just as legitimate as the sayings it repeats and confirms in the synoptics, noting that the canonical gospels themselves have their own problems, inconsistencies, contradictions, etc. There are just as many wonderful sayings attributed to Jesus in apocryphal or modern day channeled works that one can find wisdom and spiritual value in. Why limit yourself to a canon chosen by church councils inspired by various agendas and self-serving interests, when other resources on Jesus and the evolution of Christianity exist to learn of?

Jesus continues to hold his emphasis on anyone receiving his teaching-word, as having the power to give eternal life, to resurrect the soul from death. These intimations of receiving the esoteric truth of Jesus wisdom-teachings are found mainly in the writings attributed to John, GOT, and other non-canonical works. What might be lacking on your whimsical part, is a more perfect investigation in these matters, before jumping the gun prematurely, or preferring the wool over your eyes lest you see 'truth' that may threaten or upset the 'comfort-benefits' of your current belief-system.

pj

JosephR

At least it exists or has been found as a separate sayings gospel or collection, while the theoretical "Q" is just a speculated source for many of the sayings of the synoptic gospels, imagined by scholars. I suppose its 'bs' is just as legitimate as the sayings it repeats and confirms in the synoptics, noting that the canonical gospels themselves have their own problems, inconsistencies, contradictions, etc. There are just as many wonderful sayings attributed to Jesus in apocryphal or modern day channeled works that one can find wisdom and spiritual value in. Why limit yourself to a canon chosen by church councils inspired by various agendas and self-serving interests, when other resources on Jesus and the evolution of Christianity exist to learn of?

Jesus continues to hold his emphasis on anyone receiving his teaching-word, as having the power to give eternal life, to resurrect the soul from death. These intimations of receiving the esoteric truth of Jesus wisdom-teachings are found mainly in the writings attributed to John, GOT, and other non-canonical works. What might be lacking on your whimsical part, is a more perfect investigation in these matters, before jumping the gun prematurely, or preferring the wool over your eyes lest you see 'truth' that may threaten or upset the 'comfort-benefits' of your current belief-system.

pj

now I know what it is to mean to cast your pearls to swine,,, and the swine are worthy but will just trample in the mud..

I will deal with Him in His own way later..

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

pj

Call me daddy.
Or captain

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
oblivious......

oblivious......

now I know what it is to mean to cast your pearls to swine,,, and the swine are worthy but will just trample in the mud..

I will deal with Him in His own way later..

Unfortunately some appear to choose a 'willful ignorance' or just ridicule anything that doesn't fit into their snug little theology-box. Some might actually be 'spiritually retarded'.

Pearls can only be shared among those who recognize their true value.

Truth is truth, wherever its found.

pj

unknown

Logia 31
Jesus said, “No prophet is accepted in his own village; no physician heals those who know him”.
Next post

Implied profanity, nothing intelligent to say about the topic.

The author of Luke had heard this saying and describes it here;

Luke 4:14-27
14 Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside. 15 He was teaching in their synagogues, and everyone praised him.

16 He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. He stood up to read, 17 and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

20 Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”

22 All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his lips. “Isn’t this Joseph’s son?” they asked.

23 Jesus said to them, “Surely you will quote this proverb to me: ‘Physician, heal yourself!’ And you will tell me, ‘Do here in your hometown what we have heard that you did in Capernaum.’”

24 “Truly I tell you,” he continued, “no prophet is accepted in his hometown. 25 I assure you that there were many widows in Israel in Elijah’s time, when the sky was shut for three and a half years and there was a severe famine throughout the land. 26 Yet Elijah was not sent to any of them, but to a widow in Zarephath in the region of Sidon. 27 And there were many in Israel with leprosy in the time of Elisha the prophet, yet not one of them was cleansed—only Naaman the Syrian.”
I have come to learn to keep my mouth shut about certain things around certain people. Jesus could do no miracles in Nazareth because of unbelief.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
into joy ,,the face of Christianity,,YES ,, lol thats why I am "Other"

So it is not based upon your evaluation of the scriptures? Specifically the infallibility and reliability? In other words, do you reject the bible as God's word as we have it in modern translation.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
For example I reject Islam because of the false writings of the Koran. Not just because some of the Muslims believe in righteousness thru killing Jews.

I reject Mormonism because of their book and what is written in it. Not because of their behavior.

I reject the GOT because of its date of origin.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
dating................

dating................

Somewhat flimsy, since some scholars set an earlier date even before the synoptic gospels for the GOT(from 50 - 140 AD), plus the dating of this compilation is more complex, given that some redactions and some earlier original material could be combined in the collection. If you're going to make an issue of 'dates', you'll find that the canonical gospels date from well over 25 years from the death of Jesus, and extant manuscripts (full ones) only from the 3rd-4th centuries, asides from some small fragments found elsewhere, assumed to date back to the 2nd century but questionable.

Besides doing basic research on the GOT with resources provided here, or you can 'google', you'll have to find a better 'reason' for 'rejection' than just your religious bias.

Wiki

pj

JosephR

For example I reject Islam because of the false writings of the Koran. Not just because some of the Muslims believe in righteousness thru killing Jews.

I reject Mormonism because of their book and what is written in it. Not because of their behavior.

No not at all,,Jesus tole,, and i MEAN TOLD ME!!! to judge them by thier fruits,,, your poison you puke onto people I will have nothing to do with, and GOD has little to do or concern himself with words or titles or anything you can put in spoken or typed form.. neither will I..

So go on, you child.. and maybe someday an adult will teach you..

JosephR

Somewhat flimsy, since some scholars set an earlier date even before the synoptic gospels for the GOT(from 50 - 140 AD), plus the dating of this compilation is more complex, given that some redactions and some earlier original material could be combined in the collection. If you're going to make an issue of 'dates', you'll find that the canonical gospels date from well over 25 years from the death of Jesus, and extant manuscripts (full ones) only from the 3rd-4th centuries, asides from some small fragments found elsewhere, assumed to date back to the 2nd century but questionable.

Besides doing basic research on the GOT with resources provided here, or you can 'google', you'll have to find a better 'reason' for 'rejection' than just your religious bias.

Wiki

pj

He wont know... He wont see.. a blinder HE set forth in His own eye,, This predates ALL his NT "SCRIPTURE" but He will not see facts or anything of God,,let Him pass.. as a shadow in the evening,,pass on wayward son..

Levolor

No not at all,,Jesus tole,, and i MEAN TOLD ME!!! to judge them by thier fruits,,, your poison you puke onto people I will have nothing to do with, and GOD has little to do or concern himself with words or titles or anything you can put in spoken or typed form.. neither will I..

So go on, you child.. and maybe someday an adult will teach you..

Maybe someday he'll experience: However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. John 16:13

JosephR

Maybe someday he'll experience: However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. John 16:13

YES!! Preach the truth !!!

And I tell you , MEn of the wrold, no truth is spoken if it were not of God and the Spirit will tell you , in your heart ,if it is of God..

Joe r..2014

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
discerning truth..............

discerning truth..............

So it is not based upon your evaluation of the scriptures? Specifically the infallibility and reliability?

The above inquiry includes the subtle 'assumption' that the Bible is 'infallible', which follows a common belief-trend of its 'inerrancy' and even its 'finality'. That is debatable. While 'scripture' may be inspired by Spirit, only 'God' Alone is the essence of what is true, original, pure, absolute, eternal, infinite.

In other words, do you reject the bible as God's word as we have it in modern translation.

I don't think its a matter of rejection, but a matter of discerning what is from 'God' and what is from 'Man' in its dissertations.

pj

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
The above inquiry includes the subtle 'assumption' that the Bible is 'infallible', which follows a common belief-trend of its 'inerrancy' and even its 'finality'. That is debatable. While 'scripture' may be inspired by Spirit, only 'God' Alone is the essence of what is true, original, pure, absolute, eternal, infinite.

I don't think its a matter of rejection, but a matter of discerning what is from 'God' and what is from 'Man' in its dissertations.

pj

At least you had the balls to answer the key question. Even tho wrong.

You need my help. Desperately.
When sudden destruction comes and your belief is wiped away as sand, remember me. I have built my faith on Christ the solid Rock and in His infallible word - the bible.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Please forgive me for butting in.

I have a simple question.

Did author know or say anything about Paul?

thank you.