The Gospel Of Thomas

Levolor

Here is 8. It is in the other gospels as well and I compared.. some gospels say there are good fish and bad this one is different as in small fish and big.Anyone familiar with the 4 gospels of the Bible should be able to get the comparassion right away.

And he said, “The man is like a wise fisherman who cast his net into the sea and drew it up from the sea full of small fish. Among them the wise fisherman found a fine large fish. He threw all the small fish back into the sea and chose the large fish without difficulty. Whoever has ears to hear, let him hear”.

This also echos the statement found in the 4, I will make you fishers of Men.

Yes.

And also, this is reminiscent of the parables of the pearl of great price and the treasure hidden in the field... all to be found in Matthew 13:44, 45. Then beginning in verse 46 is the parable about the good and the bad fish.

To me, this concerns having the discernment to grasp hold of that which is good (our true selves and it's qualities) and to discard the rest...(the self only concerned ego and it's qualities).

Levolor

Western traditions don't say much about what a "man" is. I think it would be an important thing to know if we ever hope to understand what God is.

I believe a man is one who has come to know himself as he is truly meant to be, which is the image of God. And God is love. We all are at our cores love, but for many it is still covered over by the beast nature.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Anyone ask this yet;
When was it penned? Who was the author? Who was it addressed to? Did geography play a part in the messages? What are the arguments for inclusion and exclusion into the cannon of scripture?

Where's nihlo?

JosephR

I believe a man is one who has come to know himself as he is truly meant to be, which is the image of God. And God is love. We all are at our cores love, but for many it is still covered over by the beast nature.

Yes and everyday it seems a test to say the least to remember what we are, I often forget and give into ego and negativity... Away from center and away from love.

Welcome to the thread :)

Posted from the TOL App!

Levolor

Yes and everyday it seems a test to say the least to remember what we are, I often forget and give into ego and negativity... Away from center and away from love.

It is definitely a challenge, I know, for those with God-given knowledge, or gnosis if you prefer, to discipline one's self. :) With continued self-discipline we become more and more as we were created to be and 'generally' with ease.

I have found that 1 Corinthians 8:1-2, especially 2, to be helpful: Now concerning things offered to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies. 2 And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know.

We may 'know', but if we don't love we are nothing as 1 Corinthians 13:2 showsAnd though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And that's because, as you know, God/love is all there is.

LOL (at self) I could go on, but I won't. :)

Welcome to the thread :)

Thank you. :)

Levolor

Jesus said, “I have cast fire upon the world, and see, I am guarding it until it blazes”.

Compare and correspond to Matthew 10:34

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

This GOT saying also has me thinking of what John the Baptist said: I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. Matthew 3:11

Yes, Jesus would be tending His fire, which purifies, until it blazes. Hallelujah! No surprise really when we remember that He is ... the author and finisher of our faith... Hebrews 12:2

JosephR

26. Jesus said, "You see the sliver in your friend's eye, but you don't see the timber in your own eye. When you take the timber out of your own eye, then you will see well enough to remove the sliver from your friend's eye."

Examine the self before you examine or judge the other.....
To me this speaks of the EGO, and how to know when your own thoughts are true,or of your pride and Ego,because if they are how can you rightfully help your neighbor?

JosephR

26. Jesus said, "You see the sliver in your friend's eye, but you don't see the timber in your own eye. When you take the timber out of your own eye, then you will see well enough to remove the sliver from your friend's eye."

To me this speaks of the EGO, and how to know when your own thoughts are true,or of your pride and Ego,because if they are how can you rightfully help your neighbor?

Also In the spiritual context it can mean, If you think you are just a physical being, and therefore there is a spec in your spiritual eye.

Levolor

Angel and I were posting in another thread the other day about the verse that this relates to in the bible: Matthew 7:3.

It was mentioned that the gods mentioned in Psalm 82:6 and John 10:34 are referring to the judges.

Add that to John 10:35 If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken),

So, those who can accurately judge are those whom the word of God (Jesus Christ) has come to.

(I do hope that that made sense! Off to bed I go~way past time for slumber.)

May God Bless us all.

JosephR

Angel and I were posting in another thread the other day about the verse that this relates to in the bible: Matthew 7:3.

It was mentioned that the gods mentioned in Psalm 82:6 and John 10:34 are referring to the judges.

Add that to John 10:35 If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken),

So, those who can accurately judge are those whom the word of God (Jesus Christ) has come to.

(I do hope that that made sense! Off to bed I go~way past time for slumber.)

May God Bless us all.

Yes that makes sense,,alltho I know I do it, I try to be very careful to judge..sometimes I do in ignorance and I pray that I amnot measured by that stick..

Goodnight

GodBless

unknown

27) <Jesus said,> "If you do not fast as regards the world, you will not find the kingdom. If you do not observe the Sabbath as a Sabbath, you will not see the father."
Fasting as regards the world means refraining from the material things that the world has to offer; observing the sabbath as a sabbath seems to imply that one should rest in a truly significant way and separate oneself from worldly concerns. There are many Sabbaths, the one spoken of here is found in Lev 23:26-32. It is to be a day of affliction for one's soul and a day of atonement.

Leviticus 23

26 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, 27 Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord. 28 And ye shall do no work in that same day: for it is a day of atonement, to make an atonement for you before the Lord your God. 29 For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people. 30 And whatsoever soul it be that doeth any work in that same day, the same soul will I destroy from among his people. 31 Ye shall do no manner of work: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings. 32 It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath.
Today, being a Sabbath, I would not normally like to post here or even be on the internet except; Sabbaths are spiritual days and not actual calendar days. The calendar Sabbaths are only an outward sign.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Seeing the Father.......

Seeing the Father.......

Fasting as regards the world means refraining from the material things that the world has to offer; observing the sabbath as a sabbath seems to imply that one should rest in a truly significant way and separate oneself from worldly concerns. There are many Sabbaths, the one spoken of here is found in Lev 23:26-32. It is to be a day of affliction for one's soul and a day of atonement.

Today, being a Sabbath, I would not normally like to post here or even be on the internet except; Sabbaths are spiritual days and not actual calendar days. The calendar Sabbaths are only an outward sign.

Yes, we agree a 'fasting' from the world, is abstaining from and/or transcending the material world and the activities related to its maintenance, to set our attention to things of the Spirit.

Regarding the 'sabbath', we take both the exoteric and esoteric aspects of it, and find that more liberal interpreters hold a more 'esoteric' translation of what the Sabbath is for, whether it is held exclusively for a 7th day observation (formally) or is more loosely applied to any day of the week, as living a life ever genuflecting the divine. This is where different nuances of 'controversy' appear regarding 'sabbath' observance. Just how far is one to take its specificity or literal observance to 'days' or 'time-intervals', and how much liberty are we to subscribe to or reject such? Granted that some gnostic groups did not look too favorably upon Yhwh (the more extreme end of the spectrum)...they probably 'interpreted' such more esoterically if anything, while some groups saw his laws as being basically good-willed and intentioned, which could be used in worship of the Living Father, the only real and Most High God.

[27]. "If you do not fast from the world, you will not find the Kingdom. If you do not make the Sabbath the <true> Sabbath, you will not see the Father."

Two wonderful key concepts here are in 'finding' and 'seeing' the kingdom. To 'find' is to 'see',....to 'see'...is to 'find'. In the purest gnostic sense,....'seeing' is everything. To see or behold is to possess, to 'know' (in the deepest level of being, interiorly where the spirit of Deity dwells, and is its own 'light'). We could say more, but only 'realization' itself...can attest to its authenticity, for each must come to 'find', to 'see', to 'realize' the kingdom for himself.

pj

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Yes that makes sense,,alltho I know I do it, I try to be very careful to judge..sometimes I do in ignorance and I pray that I amnot measured by that stick..

Goodnight

GodBless

You should realize that "judge not" is being abused to silence the truth. Satan wants truth being silenced.

unknown

I would say the difference between discernment and judgement is in the sentencing. We must discern but we should not condemn; it's just not our place to do so.

unknown

Yes, we agree a 'fasting' from the world, is abstaining from and/or transcending the material world and the activities related to its maintenance, to set our attention to things of the Spirit.

Regarding the 'sabbath', we take both the exoteric and esoteric aspects of it, and find that more liberal interpreters hold a more 'esoteric' translation of what the Sabbath is for, whether it is held exclusively for a 7th day observation (formally) or is more loosely applied to any day of the week, as living a life ever genuflecting the divine. This is where different nuances of 'controversy' appear regarding 'sabbath' observance. Just how far is one to take its specificity or literal observance to 'days' or 'time-intervals', and how much liberty are we to subscribe to or reject such? Granted that some gnostic groups did not look too favorably upon Yhwh (the more extreme end of the spectrum)...they probably 'interpreted' such more esoterically if anything, while some groups saw his laws as being basically good-willed and intentioned, which could be used in worship of the Living Father, the only real and Most High God.

Two wonderful key concepts here are in 'finding' and 'seeing' the kingdom. To 'find' is to 'see',....to 'see'...is to 'find'. In the purest gnostic sense,....'seeing' is everything. To see or behold is to possess, to 'know' (in the deepest level of being, interiorly where the spirit of Deity dwells, and is its own 'light'). We could say more, but only 'realization' itself...can attest to its authenticity, for each must come to 'find', to 'see', to 'realize' the kingdom for himself.

pj
Indeed.

I am not one to insist that anybody "keep the Sabbath". There is more to it than most people understand and if the "exceptions" (to save a life) are not understood, a person can actually harm themselves. The bible commands that the soul be afflicted. This is done in a few (5) ways, one is not eating or drinking. If a person is in ill health and doesn't eat for a day their condition could become life threatening.

Only those who understand all of the aspects of the Sabbath should even try to "keep" the Sabbath. Keeping the Sabbath without the afflictions (or any other aspect) is a waste of time except for the exception of saving a life and a person who doesn't understand the exceptions can actually harm themselves.

When Jesus was questioned about plucking corn on the Sabbath he quoted from their Talmud (Yoma 8). He was in effect telling them that these men had not eaten for days and their lives were in danger. That's one reason they didn't stone Him or even continue the argument.

Some other "afflictions" are; not wearing leather shoes, not bathing, and not anointing oneself with oil. There is more to keeping a Sabbath than the average Christian knows about and I think many are just wasting their time trying to keep it. The good news is, they have a heart for God and He will teach those whose desire is genuine.

unknown

Saying 28 & 29

Saying 28 & 29

(28) Jesus said, "I took my place in the midst of the world, and I appeared to them in flesh. I found all of them intoxicated; I found none of them thirsty. And my soul became afflicted for the sons of men, because they are blind in their hearts and do not have sight; for empty they came into the world, and empty too they seek to leave the world. But for the moment they are intoxicated. When they shake off their wine, then they will repent."
This should be self explanatory. We came into this world to learn and we ain't there yet. Taken with the next saying (29), I am not sure if the writer of this saying even knows why man is in this condition.

(29) Jesus said, "If the flesh came into being because of spirit, it is a wonder. But if spirit came into being because of the body, it is a wonder of wonders. Indeed, I am amazed at how this great wealth has made its home in this poverty."
This too is self explanatory but notice that "Jesus" says He is "amazed" at how it came to be that a soul lives in an animal body. Why should He be amazed? Before a soul can recognize it's true environment of the spiritual realm, it must master the animal desires of the body and stop being concerned with earthly delights. (see saying 27). This would be, to me, the "sobering up" mentioned in saying 28.

JosephR

This should be self explanatory. We came into this world to learn and we ain't there yet. Taken with the next saying (29), I am not sure if the writer of this saying even knows why man is in this condition.

This too is self explanatory but notice that "Jesus" says He is "amazed" at how it came to be that a soul lives in an animal body. Why should He be amazed? Before a soul can recognize it's true environment of the spiritual realm, it must master the animal desires of the body and stop being concerned with earthly delights. (see saying 27). This would be, to me, the "sobering up" mentioned in saying 28.

Jesus said, "If the flesh came into being because of spirit, that is a marvel, but if spirit came into being because of the body, that is a marvel of marvels.

Yet I marvel at how this great wealth has come to dwell in this poverty."

Yes I agree with you alot unknown,He seems to be tackling the subject of evolution here also head on.. If the Spirit came because of the flesh then it would have been random..and He knows the odds of that are a Great Wonder and Marvel, around 300 trillion to one scientist now say.

And then to say the wealth dwells in poverty, kinda like you said, In my own words, it seems for a spiritual being to live in just the flesh it would be such a waste,and the truly RICH indeed would starve to death. Not knowing they have food and water abundant.

And the drunk seems to be , totally consumed with carnal and fleshly things, while ignoring the spirit and starving it to death they are not even thirsty for spiritual knowledge.