Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Is immoral because it can't be fixed

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Is immoral because it's wrong to kill

Votes: 8 10.8%

• Total voters

LightSon

Hey Philo,
What's up with your new avatar. I can't tell if you are picking your nose or flipping me off. Or both.:chuckle:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Hey WA, Knight is gonna be pissed that you hijacked his thread. It was a serious topic 'till you showed up! :sozo2:

What was the topic, again?

wholearmor

Originally posted by BillyBob
Hey WA, Knight is gonna be pissed that you hijacked his thread. It was a serious topic 'till you showed up! :sozo2:

What was the topic, again?

It was suggested my LightSon so technically it's LightSon's thread, not Knights. Why am I saying all this? I'm not accountable to you!

billwald

Biblical death penalty required two or more eye witnesses. 90% of our court cases are based upon circumstantial evidence and would never get to court under Biblical rules.

For example, the OJ Simpson case could not be tried. Under Biblical rules the community would offer sacrifice to atone for his wife's death - the two goat sacrifice?

We have no way of knowing how OT judges used the rules because we have no documentation. Post-destruction rabbinical Judaism did everything possible to avoid a death sentence.

For example, two people are seen going into a building. One person is seen leaving. An hour later a dead body is found in the building. Under rabbinical law there are no eye witnesses to the murder and no one could be charged.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
billwald,
A witness does not have to be eye-witnesses.

wit·ness n.

1. a. One who can give a firsthand account of something seen, heard, or experienced: a witness to the accident.
    b. One who furnishes evidence.
  2. Something that serves as evidence; a sign.
  3. Law.
    a. One who is called on to testify before a court.
    b. One who is called on to be present at a transaction in order to attest to what takes place.
    c. One who signs one's name to a document for the purpose of attesting to its authenticity.
  4. An attestation to a fact, statement, or event; testimony.
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

God knows that a typical criminal does not have the courtesy to commit his crimes when there are other people around.

Consider the following passage:
"But if a man finds a betrothed young woman in the countryside, and the man forces her and lies with her, then only the man who lay with her shall die. But you shall do nothing to the young woman; there is in the young woman no sin deserving of death, for just as when a man rises against his neighbor and kills him, even so is this matter. For he found her in the countryside, and the betrothed young woman cried out, but there was no one to save her. Deuteronomy 22 :25-27
According to your reasoning the woman is the only witness in such a case, and therefore the man cannot be charged. But God says that the rapist shall be put to death, because evidence does not have to be eye-witness testimony.

Please reconsider.

Last edited:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That should be determined based on the evidence, which is not exclusively eye-witness testimony. That was my point, not that the woman's testimony alone is sufficient.

P.S. God says that if you bear false witness in a capital case (such as rape), that it is a capital crime.

(Adultery should be a capital crime, too. If these crimes were enforced the way God says they should be, Kobe probably wouldn't have gotten himself into this mess.)

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Turbo
(Adultery should be a capital crime, too. If these crimes were enforced the way God says they should be, Kobe probably wouldn't have gotten himself into this mess.)

Turbo, if you truly believe that a strict theocracy is a good idea, I would suggest that you take a look at Iran, or Afghanistan under the Taliban.

And why stop at adultery? Surely drinking or even jaywalking costs society far more each year in terms of needless deaths, wasted lives, etc..

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
BMyers, you are sick to suggest that adultery is as trivial as jaywalking.

wholearmor

Originally posted by bmyers
Turbo, if you truly believe that a strict theocracy is a good idea, I would suggest that you take a look at Iran, or Afghanistan under the Taliban.

All theocracies are not created equal.