The cigar lounge

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The humidor isn't supposed to seal. That air cushion you feel allows the inside to breath. You should need to recharge the humidifier every now and then. I don't keep track of how often that is.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The humidor isn't supposed to seal. That air cushion you feel allows the inside to breath. You should need to recharge the humidifier every now and then. I don't keep track of how often that is.

Thats correct, a perfect seal will make the cigars mold, not good. It is a fine line though, not enough of a seal and you fight with humidity.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Thats correct, a perfect seal will make the cigars mold, not good. It is a fine line though, not enough of a seal and you fight with humidity.
Well... I'm certainly not going to run a bead of caulking around the edges of my humidor. :chuckle:

However, I think a fairly decent seal is important, especially in a cold and dry place such as Colorado. My humidor can breath plenty, via the lid, hydrometer, lock, etc. But it was breathing way too much which was causing my loss of RH.

After my subtle wax treatment I am at a perfect 70%. :BRAVO:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So again yesterday I went outside and enjoyed a Tinderbox Reserve and a Blue Moon. The air was so still and the smoke rose so slowly in the cold air it was a little surreal. The wonderful second hand aroma was so strong because I was in my own cloud. Perfect to contemplate the passing of Scott, a great man.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Yesterday, I decided I needed to get out and exercise my knee, I went to the local cigar shop and had the most fabulous cigar. It was a Rocky Patel Vintage series 1992, Aged 10 years. It was an equidorian sumatra wrapper, definitely maduro. It was just as smooth as silk, beautiful white ash, very complex flavors of coffee, chocolate notes. It was really an awesome stick. He only had two left so I purchased both, I'll save the other for a good glass of port. Here is the photo.....

View attachment 16253

Good Stuff, If you see one I would highly recommend it...

Cheers Rocketman

Last edited:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I haven't had a cigar by Rocky yet but I have been meaning to try one. How much did the stick cost you?

Don't cringe brother, I paid $12.00 a stick for them. It was worth it though, what a fine cigar. I also bought a cigar that I had not seen before called Ramones, man this thing is about 4" long and must be a 65 ring or better, it's a big fatty. My tobacconist has not even tried it yet, he just got them. I also picked up a Padron 2000 maduro (always good) and a new electronic temp/hygrometer which I am salt calibrating as we speak. It's not good having all this time off I spend money LOL. :chuckle:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Picked up this sampler with my next regular cigar refill order:

ROMEO Y JULIETA HABANA RESERVE TORO & CUTTER COLLECTOR'S TIN CIGARS

View attachment 16234
[click to enlarge]

Will arrive Friday and will let everyone know how they smoked.

AMR
The Romeo y Julieta's have proved so far to be satisfying, but nothing stellar. The smoke is around thirty minutes, starting and finishing with a somewhat sweet taste. The filler is evenly packed, and the wrapper unbroken, leaving a nice even burn and the long ashes I like on a good cigar. My biggest complaint is the draw is a wee bit too weak for me, indicating the roll was not as carefully done as you would find in a 85 and above rated cigar. But for the paltry $4.35 spent for each of these eight items, I am satisfied.

The draw of a cigar is always the bane of internet ordering. I like to feel the cigars I am thinking of buying first as I have developed a fine sense of the draw from a sqeeze over the past thirty years or so of smoking cigars daily. All too often, my dissatisfaction with a cigar comes from its draw properties. I think that is one reason, among others, some cigars from reputable makers often wind up in mail-order houses at greatly discounted rates.

AMR

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The Romeo y Julieta's have proved so far to be satisfying, but nothing stellar. The smoke is around thirty minutes, starting and finishing with a somewhat sweet taste. The filler is evenly packed, and the wrapper unbroken, leaving a nice even burn and the long ashes I like on a good cigar. My biggest complaint is the draw is a wee bit too weak for me, indicating the roll was not as carefully done as you would find in a 85 and above rated cigar. But for the paltry $4.35 spent for each of these eight items, I am satisfied.

The draw of a cigar is always the bane of internet ordering. I like to feel the cigars I am thinking of buying first as I have developed a fine sense of the draw from a sqeeze over the past thirty years or so of smoking cigars daily. All too often, my dissatisfaction with a cigar comes from its draw properties. I think that is one reason, among others, some cigars from reputable makers often wind up in mail-order houses at greatly discounted rates.

AMR

I have never had much luck with Romeo y Julieta's for the same reason. I did have a cuban Romeo y Julieta torpedo many years ago when my first son was born and it was o.k. but, for all the hype that surrounds cubans I remain unimpressed with the ones I have had. I hate when a cigar has bad draw it ruins the whole experience, you either deal with it or try to remedy it, neither is enjoyable. I hope you have better luck with the rest of them.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Don't cringe brother, I paid $12.00 a stick for them.
That's not too bad, I think they are about 10.50 online (before shipping).

I also picked up a Padron 2000 maduro (always good)
Slobber, slobber... I personally think there is no better cigar company than Padron. I just ordered a sampler today that contains the entire line of standard Padrons as well as one 1964 Anniversario. :banana:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

AMR
The draw is a tricky one for me. I had a Drew Estate Java Latte that had a super easy draw and I didn't like it, I felt a bit "cheated" similar to what you have described.

Yet.... a Padron Anniversario 1964 has a super easy draw yet it's my favorite cigar of all time.

I suppose I need to get more experience. I need to smoke more cigars to get a better understanding of why some cigars are good and why others are not so good. I'm still a relative "newb".

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
That's not too bad, I think they are about 10.50 online (before shipping).

Slobber, slobber... I personally think there is no better cigar company than Padron. I just ordered a sampler today that contains the entire line of standard Padrons as well as one 1964 Anniversario. :banana:

I am inclined to agree with you on this Knight, I think IMO that they are one of the most consistantly good cigars made. I like them all. You will enjoy them.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have a question for you cigar fans....

Do you like to find a few cigar favorites to smoke each time so you know you are going to have a nice smoke? Or... do you like to experiment with new and different cigar brands and types?

I'm an experimental type of guy currently but that could be because I'm new to all this and I want to try as many different types of cigars as possible.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The draw is a tricky one for me. I had a Drew Estate Java Latte that had a super easy draw and I didn't like it, I felt a bit "cheated" similar to what you have described.

Yet.... a Padron Anniversario 1964 has a super easy draw yet it's my favorite cigar of all time.

I suppose I need to get more experience. I need to smoke more cigars to get a better understanding of why some cigars are good and why others are not so good. I'm still a relative "newb".

Your right, it is all a learning experience. I always try something new when I see it, I think it helps refine our palette to our likes and dislikes. I am the same way with wine, we have wineries all around us where I live, I can truly say, just because it is expensive doesn't make it good. Cigars are like that too, take for instance the Brickhouse cigar you found, inexpensive and tasty. I am hoping that the Ramones cigar I bought yesterday turns out that way, it wasn't expensive but it caught my eye and looks good. Enjoy that Padron sampler, I know you will like that. :thumb:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

The difference in the Padron item's draw is that it is full bodied. The draw is seems easy given the excellent filler quality and its density. When you take a puff of a high quality Padron you get a mouthful of dense smoke. With the item I described, the draw is easy, but weak, that is, the amount of the smoke produced is paltry compared to the Padron or other good cigars.

So draw comprises two aspects, ease of drawing in the smoke, and the density (the body) of the smoke produced. The RyJ was easy on the draw of the smoke, but the result produced from that was not dense. I kept wanting more, which forces me to puff more, and ruins the entire experience. Also, cigars that have the lack of body I describe in the smoke produced from a drawing in, will extinguish themselves rapidly. A good cigar can be set down while a few sips of whiskey are taken, and still be ready to continue being smoked when picked back up. If you are constantly having to relight the cigar, you have a bad draw as I described, or a bad draw at the opposite end, that is, one that is rolled too tightly and you get a jaw ache trying to get anything out of it. ;)

AMR

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Do you like to find a few cigar favorites to smoke each time so you know you are going to have a nice smoke? Or... do you like to experiment with new and different cigar brands and types?

I'm an experimental type of guy currently but that could be because I'm new to all this and I want to try as many different types of cigars as possible.
I'm a newb, so even if I did have favorites it would still be experimenting.

How much of a newb am I? I'm sure ya'll have solved this problem and will laugh: I get the end of the cigar too slobery to a point where it changes the draw sometimes. This despite the fact that I don't think I ever touch the end. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

Yes, I am a sucker for my favorites but, if I have the time, something new is nice.

I'm a newb, so even if I did have favorites it would still be experimenting.

Variety is the spice of life. If it looks good, appearance, quality roll, smells nice, try it, what do you have to lose except a few bucks and time. You will never really know what your likes and dislikes are without some experimentation. Try different wrappers too, maduros are a stronger smoke coffee & chocolate tones, while connecticut wrappers are more creamy,nutty, I like camaroon it is very complex hard to describe but I love cammy wrapped cigars.

How much of a newb am I? I'm sure ya'll have solved this problem and will laugh: I get the end of the cigar too slobery to a point where it changes the draw sometimes. This despite the fact that I don't think I ever touch the end. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I guess try swallowing before you take a draw. Maybe your anticipation is making your mouth water. I know every time Knight puts up a pic of an aniversario my mouth waters.LOL... Sounds like your getting into it though Yorzhic... enjoy! :thumb: