The cigar lounge

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The Natural Root is made by Drew Estate so they may be flavored. I don't know much about them, my son bought them.

I'm not a complete purist, I will smoke a flavored cigar, especially if it smells like chocolate...LOL

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Vaquero45, you shouldn't have deleted your post it was excellent! Pipes and cigars fit nicely in this thread and we can discuss both. :up:

This is true, V45. I did not see your thread, but I have always been a pipe man myself.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm not a complete purist, I will smoke a flavored cigar, especially if it smells like chocolate...LOL
I haven't tried a flavored cigar yet. Well... I did have a Drew Estate JAVA Latte which was sorta enjoyable, although I am not sure those are flavored or not.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I haven't tried a flavored cigar yet. Well... I did have a Drew Estate JAVA Latte which was sorta enjoyable, although I am not sure those are flavored or not.

I have tried a chocolate mint, and vanilla flavors before though I can't recall the maker. They were O.K. but, if you gave me the choice of flavored to a good Padron or Fuente, I would pick the latter. In fact i may have to hobble out to my man cave this evening for a smoke, I've been cooped up for two days with my leg up after knee surgery. I think a good smoke will break up the monotony.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have tried a chocolate mint, and vanilla flavors before though I can't recall the maker. They were O.K. but, if you gave me the choice of flavored to a good Padron or Fuente, I would pick the latter.
No disagreement there! :up:

In fact i may have to hobble out to my man cave this evening for a smoke, I've been cooped up for two days with my leg up after knee surgery. I think a good smoke will break up the monotony.
Make sure to give us a full report! :BillyBob:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here is what a Natural Root looks like. Note the untrimmed foot. These have a very strong chocolate smell. Can't wait to try one.

43a5ec6c-a557-0911.jpg

Sounds good. Don't cut yourself short because it is or isn't flavored. And there are two ways of flavoring. One is standard and not anything you have, the other is infused via vapors. The smoke, as you have noticed is what you like, not what others like.

Like food, I like just about every thing I have smoked. So I am not the best judge.

The Natural's are mild to medium, not peppery or spicey. Some are natural, some are infused. The Juicy Lucy for example is rather sweet for a cigar, and not my regular. But I did smoke one, and liked it. Speaking of what you like, and not others, I like chocolate infused cigars with a cup of coffee. I drink coffee without sweetener, so maybe they compliment each other.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Had to get my weekend started right.

a6cd0d61-b78b-876c.jpg

I'm jealous every time I see one of those, Your a blessed man Knight!
I on the other hand never got out last night for that smoke so I am enjoying it right now in the man cave with a cup of coffee. I know boring RM and his Hemmenway's LOL. I do love-em. Sorry for the state of my cave somebody should really clean up out here...LOL

View attachment 16241

Last edited:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Knight you will have to share with me how you get your Pics so large. Is it a trade secret?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I use the TOL smartphone app.

Check the links in my signature.

O.K., I won't be doing that for awhile, I don't have a data plan with my phone due to the fact I hardly use the darn thing. If I buy that IPhone I have been wanting I will get it then. I still like your pics though they are really crisp, man I could almost smell that Padron....

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
So Knight, I hope you were able to light that awesome stogie with your new lighter. Did you get to try it out today?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Humidor loses humidity

Humidor loses humidity

After seasoning my humidor and loading it with my cigar collection I have found that in Colorado at high altitude and in cold dry weather it's very hard to keep the humidity level at or around 70%. My humidor slowly declines in RH over time which causes unnecessary fuss and I don't want to continually open my humidor to add moisture via my humidifying device or humidipaks.

I believe the culprit is the less than perfect seal around the top of the humidor and around the area of the "for show" hydrometer.

Therefore, on the advice of experts I am trying to increase the quality of the seal and thereby make my humidor more "air tight".

The strategy is simple and I think/hope it will be effective. I have purchased some pariffin wax (for canning) and rubbed the wax on all the edges of the humidor that are involved in the seal (i.e., the lid edges, and hydrometer edges). I call tell right off the bat that those parts now feel as if they have a tighter seal than before. Now all I can do is "wait and see" and hope that the humidity will stay more constant even in cold dry weather.

43a5ec6c-2cb9-e5ad.jpg

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
After seasoning my humidor and loading it with my cigar collection I have found that in Colorado at high altitude and in cold dry weather it's very hard to keep the humidity level at or around 70%. My humidor slowly declines in RH over time which causes unnecessary fuss and I don't want to continually open my humidor to add moisture via my humidifying device or humidipaks.

I believe the culprit is the less than perfect seal around the top of the humidor and around the area of the "for show" hydrometer.

Therefore, on the advice of experts I am trying to increase the quality of the seal and thereby make my humidor more "air tight".

The strategy is simple and I think/hope it will be effective. I have purchased some pariffin wax (for canning) and rubbed the wax on all the edges of the humidor that are involved in the seal (i.e., the lid edges, and hydrometer edges). I call tell right off the bat that those parts now feel as if they have a tighter seal than before. Now all I can do is "wait and see" and hope that the humidity will stay more constant even in cold dry weather.

43a5ec6c-2cb9-e5ad.jpg

Interesting, I have never thought of using paraffin for this problem. My humidor after purchase was having a similar problem. My tobacconist showed me a trick with the lid to assure the seal. He said if you lift the lid about an inch and drop it, the lid should not slam but, settle down a little slower and you should feel a rush of air exiting the box when this happens. My lid was slamming with no apparent seal. My fix was a little different. After close examination, I concluded the sealing surface was too low. I pulled the inner sides and bottom panel out of the box and shimmed the whole assembly up with, you guessed it, spanish cedar dividers that come in cigar boxes. It seemed to do the trick, I think paraffin would have been a better or at least easier trick. I also use a "Paradigm" humidifier in my box, man those things work great, and last a long time. Of course I do not live in as arid a climate as Denver especially in the winter. I'm sure humidification can be an issue there. Well Knight, I hope it works, let us know if it does...

RM

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The 'ol humidor was at a perfect 70% rh this morning. That's the first time the humidity has increased over night. That's a great sign.

Hopefully the wax treatment did the trick.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The 'ol humidor was at a perfect 70% rh this morning. That's the first time the humidity has increased over night. That's a great sign.

Sounds promising, I hope it works for you. Did you have to put the wax on thick or just a thin layer? I may try this just to make mine a little more maintenance free. I'll see how it works for you first.

RM

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Good news! I hope this works for you.

AMR