Supreme Court Upholds Ban on Anti-Gay Therapy

glassjester

Sure, love them unconditionally. Use therapy to help boost self-esteem...don't be the primary cause of it. :idea:

Love means willing the good of the other. In order for parents to truly love their children, they need to know what is good.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, Doser, you bully!

How dare you not want children to act on every desire they have! Who are you to not let them be their God-made authentic selves?

Since when does same-sex attraction equate to "acting on every desire they have."? That's hyperbole only a bully bigot could act upon!

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Since when does same-sex attraction equate to "acting on every desire they have."?

i believe it developed out of the "authentic self" concept

what's more authentic than acting on every desire one has?

glassjester

Since when does same-sex attraction equate to "acting on every desire they have."? That's hyperbole only a bully bigot could act upon!

Yes, you're right. You've correctly identified an example of hyperbole. Very good.

So you don't feel that children should be legally entitled to act on every desire they have? That's a relief.

But you seem to be suggesting that it's the government, not the parents, whose responsibility it is to determine which desires are appropriate for children to have.

That is not at all within the rights of the government. That's a parent's role, man.

glassjester

It's a truly confused worldview, you're addressing. Quip lives in a world where people who don't want same-sex attractions are not being "authentic," and people who mutilate their genitals are living as God made them.

quip

BANNED
Banned

What if you're authentically compassionate?

Though i suppose you're referring to a psychopath. Any mpre useless extreme examples?

quip

BANNED
Banned
It's a truly confused worldview, you're addressing. Quip lives in a world where people who don't want same-sex attractions are not being "authentic," and people who mutilate their genitals are living as God made them.

Sure I believe you're authentic..
I simply restrict the bounds of your authenticity ....to you.

ok doser

What if you're authentically compassionate?

then you'd act on that, compassionately

quip said:
Any mpre useless extreme examples?

i find them quite useful - they serve to point out the flaws in your argumentation

so let's agree that "authentic self" is a useless concept and move on, shall we?

or would you like to defend the authentic psychopath being allowed to act on his impulses?

quip

BANNED
Banned
What does "authentic self" mean?

"The phrase is kicked around a lot. Live an authentic life. ... Being authentic means coming from a real place within. It is when our actions and words are congruent with our beliefs and values. It is being ourselves, not an imitation of what we think we should be or have been told we should be."

kmoney

Hall of Fame
It probably doesn't!

But isn't much of that stuff already illegal? Forcing a kid to get naked, or to have unwanted contact with an adult, or to physically torture them...

Why not just keep that stuff illegal, and prosecute the criminals who perpetrate those crimes?

Why the need to outlaw any attempts to help someone get rid of unwanted same-sex attraction?
What methods do you think should be used?

quip

BANNED
Banned
then you'd act on that, compassionately

i find them quite useful - they serve to point out the flaws in your argumentation

so let's agree that "authentic self" is a useless concept and move on, shall we?

or would you like to defend the authentic psychopath being allowed to act on his impulses?

Extremes are the last vestige of a weak and limited mind. Funny how proud of them you are.

ok doser

"The phrase is kicked around a lot. Live an authentic life. ... Being authentic means coming from a real place within. It is when our actions and words are congruent with our beliefs and values. It is being ourselves, not an imitation of what we think we should be or have been told we should be."

hitler's actions and words were congruent with his beliefs and values

perhaps "authenticity" isn't all it's cracked up to be :idunno:

What methods do you think should be used?

waterboarding! :banana: