Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

IMJerusha

The times called for it.

Times in America never call for Constitutional violation! You're taking the same stance that members of the Supreme Court took when they stated that same sex marriage is okay. The line is fine, Bybee, but when you've crossed it, you've crossed it.

IMJerusha

This thread should be renamed "Murderer kills nine, flag still at large."

The person holding the gun committed the crime, not the flag. The sad fact is that crimes of this nature will continue under whatever flag is flown because sin is not attributed properly. The Confederate flag has been made the scapegoat for an agenda against God.

bybee

The person holding the gun committed the crime, not the flag. The sad fact is that crimes of this nature will continue under whatever flag is flown because sin is not attributed properly.

It is the content of the heart that precedes the sins of commission and also the sins of omission. Anything may become a weapon.
I pray for our nation to find common ground.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The person holding the gun committed the crime, not the flag. The sad fact is that crimes of this nature will continue under whatever flag is flown because sin is not attributed properly. The Confederate flag has been made the scapegoat for an agenda against God.

It's part of the liberal agenda to advance their notion that regulations are the solution rather than the spirit of justice.

Incidents like the one in South Carolina are the greatest ammunition on the side of those who call for a swift court session and an execution within a day or so, as well as the redaction of gun-control rules — things that stands a chance of being a deterrent to would-be murderers.

Liberals, however, hate the spirit and love the law, which can never save them.

When it is them in the church, seeking salvation from a flag-waving lunatic, they will pray for a gun, not point to the sign that says: "No weapons."

Granite

Hall of Fame

No, the disgust it causes finally reached a breaking point. Unfortunately it took nine people getting butchered for us to finally realize how despicable this symbol is.

No one but no one has blamed the flag for causing anything. But what it represents is foul and it is high time--long past time--for the thing to go.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, the disgust it causes finally reached a breaking point. Unfortunately it took nine people getting butchered for us to finally realize how despicable this symbol is.

No one but no one has blamed the flag for causing anything. But what it represents is foul and it is high time--long past time--for the thing to go.

Meanwhile, nine people were murdered and all you care about is taking down a flag.

IMJerusha

Slavery is an ungodly, inhumane travesty against all of humanity.
All of humanity must continually fight against it.

I'm not disputing that. The thing is that it should have come to a vote as opposed to a war costing thousands of lives. It might surprise you to know that most of Congress thought, right up until the day before the war started, that the states which wanted to secede should have been allowed to peacefully go their way. It wasn't that the Union wouldn't have been preserved. It was that the Union would have been smaller and wouldn't have the resources it once had, the states in the South having great agricultural and mineral resources. Greed spurred that war and the Constitution was trampled and it seems that America never learns her lesson. You can't fight evil with evil, and win. Lincoln may have thought that a house divided can not stand, but he failed to see the whole Biblical lesson. It might also surprise you to learn that most, if not all Confederate states had legislation in the works to abolish slavery before the war started.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You dispute my right to be a Christian holding with all of Scripture and holding with a faith expression that exemplifies same? Where do you get the idea that I don't call myself a Christian?
Where do you get the notion that Bybee doesn't call herself an American?
And yet you admonish her for calling herself a Yankee instead of JUST an American.

IMJerusha

You want to know what is disgusting?....this is disgusting:

http://www.examiner.com/article/mem...usly-votes-to-dig-up-confederate-general-wife

This is an all time low for our nation!

Sherman and Grant had slaves that they didn't set free until after the war was over. Should we dig them up too? This is positively outrageous and an affront to decency! The city of Memphis needs to contract an artist to create a statue of hypocrisy and erect it!

If you disagree with the action of the Memphis City Council, I would go here, click on email the council members and give them a heads up.
http://www.memphistn.gov/Government/CityCouncil/CouncilMembers.aspx

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yep.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
See, here's part of the problem. We all state and acknowledge that the Civil War is long over but the sad fact is that it isn't. Consider your words "As a Yankee". Why do you consider yourself a Yankee? Why not just an American? And I think the same thing every time I hear a black person state they are African American. No they're not.
Yes, they are. And some people are Rotarians while still others are Masons. And all are Americans. To be an American isn't to give up any other identity, only to understand that whatever else we may be by virtue of genetics or heritage, we are first and foremost one people, out of those many differences.

They're Americans....period. This is what I meant by my earlier post about not being sure that the black community is interested in "full equality."
Horsefeathers. Does someone who wears green and celebrates St. Patrick's Day give up full equality because he's proud his last name is O'Malley?

Many Southerners still consider themselves Confederates based upon a particular code of living indigenous to the South right down to the way one dresses their grits. And they aren't "yahoos!"
Complete nonsense. Southerners consider themselves "Southerners" not Confederates. Unless you're speaking of reenactors, which would be misleading in another way. I've spent most of my life in the heart of Dixie and I've literally never heard anyone refer to himself as a Confederate. Never read of it.

This is what comes of a Yankee telling a Southerner about his heritage.

But many Southerners see the ability to display the Confederate flag as their Constitutional right in deference to the Southern code of living. To them, it is every bit an act of free expression/free speech and an honoring of ancestry in the preservation of states rights.
Modern revisionist nonsense. The right to what, again? First keep blacks as property and later to keep them second class citizens. That's the tradition of that flag. It never instilled a better value and the best the South had and has to offer existed without it.

So when Town Heretic implied that secession was illegal, he was full of hooey!
She's just nuts, bybee. Here's our exchange on the point:

The Framers of our Government held with a state's right to secede
I'm pretty sure I only just finished writing that I agreed they had the legal right. But I'm glad that the Union was preserved and that right ended, effectively. It was a horrible idea and the war illustrated why.

That's why I suggested he revise his political stance to the left.
Sure it was. :rolleyes:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You want to know what is disgusting?....this is disgusting:

http://www.examiner.com/article/mem...usly-votes-to-dig-up-confederate-general-wife

This is an all time low for our nation!

Sherman and Grant had slaves that they didn't set free until after the war was over. Should we dig them up too? This is positively outrageous and an affront to decency! The city of Memphis needs to contract an artist to create a statue of hypocrisy and erect it!

If you disagree with the action of the Memphis City Council, I would go here, click on email the council members and give them a heads up.
http://www.memphistn.gov/Government/CityCouncil/CouncilMembers.aspx
Wait...so you want state's rights but feel obligated to butt into the business of the good people of Memphis, Tennessee.

:rotfl:

IMJerusha

She's just nuts, bybee. Here's our exchange on the point:

I was referring to this statement of yours, Town: "Many who are glad the South lost the war will be among those to say that secession was likely legal."

There's all kinds of ways to say things, Town. I took this as your implication that secession isn't legal. Was I wrong?

IMJerusha

Wait...so you want state's rights but feel obligated to butt into the business of the good people of Memphis, Tennessee.

:rotfl:

Show me anywhere in the Constitution where digging up graves is a Constitutional right. States rights has nothing to do with the right to violate the law, federal or state! The last I heard, exhumation of a body requires a court order and/or permission of next of kin. As a lawyer, Town, are you advocating the breaking of federal law? I would think that a "reason of substance" would need to be established in a Tennessee court of law prior to ordering Forrest's exhumation with serious consideration given to his faith and descendants.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Show me anywhere in the Constitution where digging up graves is a Constitutional right.
Show me where I made that claim (though the Constitution isn't where you find laws pertaining to that).

Like I said, you want the right to encourage anyone to intervene in the sovereign sate of Tennessee's business when it's your ox being gored. Don't mistake me, I think it's a stupid, misguided bit of nonsense Memphis is considering, but you indiscriminately rallying unnamed others to step into the state's business (for surely it can police its own) is just priceless.

I was referring to this statement of yours, Town: "Many who are glad the South lost the war will be among those to say that secession was likely legal."
Doesn't matter what you were referring to since I was on the record plainly enough. And the above doesn't make your point either. I'm one who would be among those arguing secession was likely legal and I'm glad the Union prevailed, as per my set out for bybee in the last.

There's all kinds of ways to say things, Town. I took this as your implication that secession isn't legal. Was I wrong?
Try reading what I only just set out for the second time. Or the above.

And while you're on that you should consider another blast from that recent past/post: Lincoln didn't need to end slavery by amendment. But he put his full weight into doing that. Because he always wanted it ended, as the South knew. When he had the ability he used it.