Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...And how well have the 'political and social' been doing in 'advancing a moral and right end.' ?
In our society pretty well over time. Especially if you were from a family of slaves, minorities in general or a woman.
How about the greatest good - namely, the kingdom of God - can that be advanced politically/socially?
I think most moral goods parallel social ones.
I wouldn't be surprised if you think that the kingdom of God will come through political/social means.
Surprised? I'd think you'd be ecstatic. :eek:

...What moral cause was being fought for in WWII?
The end of an evil regime or two, who put the world awash in blood, who were enemies of justice and without mercy.

...How do you know that they were good? How do you know that they weren't disobeying God in their lives?
It would have to have been all of them, gathered in a church to study the Word...on the face of it not the most likely scenario. Or, I have no reason to believe they were being disobedient and a pretty good reason to believe they were of the faith and killed by an evil man.

...You do not believe in that biblical principle then - of reaping what one sows?
Sure, but you're trying to twist that into karma and it isn't, was never meant to produce a metaphysical caste system whereby the victim of any calamity could be reduced to the inheritor of a sort of justice.

Your thinking is what led the "friends" of Job to assume his troubles were of his own making. But we know that they weren't.

And what you believe is right... isn't it?
If I didn't think so it would be peculiar of me to believe it.
Jesus Christ was always compassionate wasn't He, never angry and severe?
He was angry with those who misled others, against hypocrites and those who used the Holy to profit. He was kind to most, even forgiving to those who had been behind his murder at the hands of the Romans, forgiving them as he suffered.

You don't seem to be able to muster it for professed Christians put to death by an evil and twisted human being.

If you were aware of the reality that pertains to this matter
Sorry, but I'm losing interest in you using inference for self praise and pairing it with a lack of argument.
You differ to the truth
Supra.
If you disagree with the truth (which you do), that's how I know your perspective is false.
Supra.

A 'reasoned difference'. You see, you arrived at your conclusion (of the shooting incident not being the wrath of God) by reason...did you not?
Everyone who holds a truth can defend that truth with reason. I arrived at a conclusion for the reasons stated prior. You went straight to the conclusion and worked backwards, apparently.

(And do you know that one can reason their way to a wrong conclusion?).
Can someone get a thing wrong? Sure. The fault is in the reasoning, not in reason itself and given the alternative...because if your reason is faulty but you value reason itself then someone who has the truth can move you to it. Where someone who, instead, sustains his view singularly from a sense of revelation is beyond correction, no matter the depth of his error.

I however did not come to the conclusion (of the shooting incident being the wrath of God) through reason
I think that's something anyone reading you would find abundantly believable.

, but rather, through revelation. If not for revelation, I wouldn't know.
And there you go. I don't think you know now. I think you're mistaken in a way that's proud, dangerous and callous. God help you.

But just because that person doesn't accept it as true, doesn't mean that it isn't true! If you don't accept that the world is round.... fine... but that doesn't mean that it isn't true.
Reason will demonstrate the truth of the proposition. Reason will never demonstrate the proof of your claim.

I suppose you may now ask me, 'Prove that what you have said, and do say, is true'. My friend, if proof is what you want I can't offer it.
That's what I said. Which is why your attempt that culminated in the world is round illustration is ironic, but given how it moves you, isn't funny.

...Town Heretic. When you have that revelation, you will no longer ask for proof.
I can see that.

You'd be surprised how much of themselves people invest on an internet forum.
Could be.

With over 18,000 posts you've clearly invested alot.
That sounds like revelation, because it isn't argument. Here's a reasoned response: I've been here and posting since 2007. I like the community, the diversity of opinion and a number of friends I've made over that time. I'd hope anyone so situated would find that valuable. Investing? The way you invest in friends and a pursuit you find worthwhile. Sure.

M

Man.0

A question about the answers you have given me thus far, in our entire correspondence: Why are they so short, consisting only of a couple, or a few sentences, not even a paragraph? Is the explanation that you're a wise sage, who can, in a few words, say what would take other people paragraphs to express? Or could it be that you have no elaborate substance to bring forth? If you had such substance, why wouldn't you say more?

...And how well have the 'political and social' been doing in 'advancing a moral and right end.' ?
In our society pretty well over time. Especially if you were from a family of slaves, minorities in general or a woman.

Physical slavery may have been abolished (although it surely exists in some countries). But what about the slavery that still exists, in its many insidious and subtle forms? What about the slavery of employees to their workers? Many employees are working on an unfair wage or contract, working overtime without any pay. What about the slavery of civilians to the government? Heavy taxation; politicians' promises - which they often do not uphold; politicans misleading and deceiving the public; politicians using government budget for personal expenses. What about slavery of the individual to society - through social conditioning and social programming?

Is there any other goods that society has advanced, or any other evils that society has overcome, apart from those that you mentioned? I think what you listed is just about it. Society may have eradicated a few evils, but it's still drowning in an ocean of immorality; an ocean frothing of filthiness. What about the following evils: child & adult prostitution; drug trafficking; terrorism; legalisation of same-sex marriages; abortion; injustices (both public and hidden); poverty; religious, governmental and corporate corruption; bribery; political and ideological warfare, bullying, intimidation and violence; theft and stealing; adultery, licentiousness, debauchery and perversion; pollution of the planet; GMOs; HIV; Humanism; Atheism; recreational hunting; smoking; synthetic, chemical and artificial drugs; alcoholism; fraud, lying and deception - both individually and those committed by institutions; lies presented as truth (e.g. evolution); and many, many more. What about all these evils - what has society done about them? You may say to me, 'Well, it takes time - they're working on it'. Well, they've been working on it for quite some time - how long is it gonna take? When will they realise that the political and social systems that are in currently place (or the new ones that will be implemented) will not solve society's preponderance of evils. Many of the same problems that society has had for thousand of years, still haven't been solved or eradicated. All the while new evils are springing up, as humans become more evil and depraved. And there are many evils that society hasn't even bothered to work on - because they don't even recognise it as evil. What society doesn't recognise is that the problem is with the individual - if each individual wasn't evil, then society wouldn't be evil. There's some truth in that Michael Jackson song - 'Man in the Mirror', which says: 'I'm Starting With The Man In
The Mirror I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways'. There first of all needs to be an internal change, before any external change will be visible. Society also doesn't recognise that this internal change can only be wrought by God, through His Spirit - transforming a person from selfish to unselfish, from doing their own will to doing His will. Society is destroying, and will surely destroy itself, if it continues on its downward, immoral trajectory. And I needn't say 'if'. It's certainly a certainty!

The end of an evil regime or two, who put the world awash in blood, who were enemies of justice and without mercy.

From what standpoint, or on what basis, do you deem their regime to have been evil? Not saying that it wasn't. But i'm wondering, what are you basing your view on?

...How do you know that they were good? How do you know that they weren't disobeying God in their lives?
It would have to have been all of them, gathered in a church to study the Word...on the face of it not the most likely scenario. Or, I have no reason to believe they were being disobedient and a pretty good reason to believe they were of the faith and killed by an evil man.

You are merely judging by appearance. Therefore you cannot recognise the incident for what it was - the wrath of God. You deny, and continue to deny, that it was so. And what is this 'pretty good reason' that you have, that assures you they were actual, true Christians? It seems that to you, anyone who attends church and takes part in a bible study, must automatically be a true Christian.

...You do not believe in that biblical principle then - of reaping what one sows?
Sure, but you're trying to twist that into karma and it isn't, was never meant to produce a metaphysical caste system whereby the victim of any calamity could be reduced to the inheritor of a sort of justice.

If the biblical principle of reaping and sowing doesn't apply to incidents such as these (which is what you are saying?), where and when does it apply then? Give some examples.

Your thinking is what led the "friends" of Job to assume his troubles were of his own making. But we know that they weren't.

His troubles were brought upon him by God (and through Satan), but not because of sin. The Bible says that he was a perfect, upright man, who eschewed evil (Job 1:1). Men of holy conduct are not afflicted for the same reasons that unrepentant disobeyers are; which is what all the victims of the shooting must have been - their tragic deaths testify to their unrepentance.

Let me ask you. If these 'victims' (who were infact perpetrators of God's Law) were really as innocent and blameless as you seem to suggest, why would God allow them to die so tragically - where would be the justice/fairness in that?

And what you believe is right... isn't it?
If I didn't think so it would be peculiar of me to believe it.

I guess you didn't catch onto the sarcasm in that statement.

He was angry with those who misled others, against hypocrites and those who used the Holy to profit. He was kind to most, even forgiving to those who had been behind his murder at the hands of the Romans, forgiving them as he suffered.

God merely forgives, without dishing out justice? You think there was no consequences for those who killed Him?

You don't seem to be able to muster it for professed Christians put to death by an evil and twisted human being.

Is he any more evil and twisted than you are? Have you not committed murder yourself? If not in deed, then in thought and word - which is just as bad.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.'' (Matthew 5:27-28)

'Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.' (1 John 3:15)

Sorry, but I'm losing interest in you using inference for self praise and pairing it with a lack of argument.

Self praise? How so?

Everyone who holds a truth can defend that truth with reason. I arrived at a conclusion for the reasons stated prior. You went straight to the conclusion and worked backwards, apparently.

Why would one need to reason on a matter, when one has received revelation concerning that matter?

Can someone get a thing wrong? Sure.

Do you admit that there's the possibility of you being wrong, in regard to matter of the shooting incident; aswell as other matters?

The fault is in the reasoning, not in reason itself and given the alternative...

Or rather, the fault is in trying to use reason where it has no place. Don't you know that reasoning can't provide answers to every question?

because if your reason is faulty but you value reason itself then someone who has the truth can move you to it.

There are certain truths which a person cannot be made aware of through reasoning, but only through revelation.

Where someone who, instead, sustains his view singularly from a sense of revelation is beyond correction, no matter the depth of his error.

What if there is no error in what he is saying, what if its the truth? What will you say then?

I however did not come to the conclusion (of the shooting incident being the wrath of God) through reason
I think that's something anyone reading you would find abundantly believable.

It would be impossible ( I imagine) to come to that conclusion through mere reasoning.

And there you go. I don't think you know now. I think you're mistaken in a way that's proud, dangerous and callous. God help you.

If i'm mistaken, let the error be shown to me. Thus far, you have not disproved what I have said. And I have not proved what I have said - because I can't, and it's not in my power to do so. It must be through revelation. Your own eyes must be opened to see this truth. It can't be comprehended by reason.

Reason will demonstrate the truth of the proposition. Reason will never demonstrate the proof of your claim.

I was going to ask, 'What demonstrates the proof of a claim'? Then I realised that the answer is surely 'proof' - which, as i've already mentioned, supra, I cannot give you. However, are you not able to prove to me that what you're saying is right?

That sounds like revelation, because it isn't argument. Here's a reasoned response: I've been here and posting since 2007. I like the community, the diversity of opinion and a number of friends I've made over that time. I'd hope anyone so situated would find that valuable. Investing? The way you invest in friends and a pursuit you find worthwhile. Sure.

Let me get this clear. Are you denying that you haven't invested alot? What about the time (hundreds, if not thousands of hours, since 2007) and energy spent - are these not investments?

'Here's a reasoned response'. It's become quite clear by this statement, and the ones before, that reason itself is what you worship - you think it to be the solution to all problems and questions. You do not know that revelation is just as valid as reason, if not superior to it. It's rather funny (and tragic) how you idolise reason itself, and vaunt it as the highest of understandings. To you, it is far above anything else, even God... isn't it?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A question about the answers you have given me thus far, in our entire correspondence: Why are they so short, consisting only of a couple, or a few sentences, not even a paragraph?
Actually, if you look back over our discourse the only time you see that brief a response is when a) I've covered the ground prior or b) it's in response to an equally brief bit as set out in quote.
Is the explanation that you're a wise sage, who can, in a few words, say what would take other people paragraphs to express?
You know how it is. If you're concise someone will accuse you of being glib or short. If you go the other way the complaint will be that you're verbose and that brevity should be the soul of wit... So I don't worry that much about criticisms of this sort. The only thing that matters is whether or not an answer sufficient to the consideration is given. Now in our conversations (and I took a cursory look back) I've given stretches more and some less, depending on what I was addressing. Much as I'm doing here.
Or could it be that you have no elaborate substance to bring forth? If you had such substance, why wouldn't you say more?
I say what's necessary to answer as I see it. Else, supra.
Physical slavery may have been abolished (although it surely exists in some countries). But what about the slavery that still exists, in its many insidious and subtle forms? What about the slavery of employees to their workers?
I think that's a poor use of the word and I wouldn't use slavery to describe a voluntary position (see what I mean about variance?).
...Is there any other goods that society has advanced, or any other evils that society has overcome, apart from those that you mentioned?
Any number, though those encompass a lot of law and progress. I only need one to make the case that society is a work in and about progress.
What about the following evils: child & adult prostitution; drug trafficking; terrorism;
Those are illegal and so, as with any crime, our society is locked in a war with that criminal element.
legalisation of same-sex marriages;
Depending on your moral perspective its odious or you're indifferent to the distinction between it and heterosexual marriage. In any event it isn't a crime and in a secular state shouldn't be. A long discussion that's been had in a number of threads here.
...What about all these evils - what has society done about them?
Too broad. Society is and has been doing a great many things on a number of the issues you noted.
You may say to me, 'Well, it takes time - they're working on it'.
I might on some. Mostly I'd say, as with crime, it's likely a war that never ends. Human beings have addressed many of these for the life of humanity with no final solution in sight. So I'm not sure what your complaint, again, broad as it is, should signify.
When will they realise that the political and social systems that are in currently place (or the new ones that will be implemented) will not solve society's preponderance of evils.
No government is or has been offered as a solution to all ills. Governments, especially modern ones, are our attempt to balance and protect right. We build laws and institutions to further that understanding that with liberty/freedom will come all sorts of human responses that are in violation of the intent of our compact.
...What society doesn't recognise is that the problem is with the individual - if each individual wasn't evil, then society wouldn't be evil.
I think you're too broad again. The nature of man is recognized by the majority of people in this country and has been by the majority of Christians for a few thousand years.
Society also doesn't recognise that this internal change can only be wrought by God, through His Spirit - transforming a person from selfish to unselfish, from doing their own will to doing His will.
I don't think that's the problem. Most of this country for most of its history would have agreed with you and yet the problem of evil and will and freedom to act remain, in one form or another.
Society is destroying, and will surely destroy itself, if it continues on its downward, immoral trajectory. And I needn't say 'if'. It's certainly a certainty!
I'd say that history evidences human progress, not a slide into something less, though within cycles there can be a waxing and waning.
From what standpoint, or on what basis, do you deem their regime to have been evil? Not saying that it wasn't. But i'm wondering, what are you basing your view on?
You don't have to wonder. Simply look at my designation. I can't think of a better word than evil to sum the Nazi experiment, fueled as it was by racist hatred and the dehumanization and attempted murder of whole peoples as the natural end of that process.

While back on the subject of your continuing attempt to blame the slaughtered victims of the South Carolina church shooting...
You are merely judging by appearance.
No, I'm noting the facts at hand and against the unsupported notion that those alleged to be actively and uniformly (since they all died) rebelling against God would be found in a worship service at a church. It's not impossible, but it isn't in the realm of the likely and the simplest, most reasonable answer is that these people were there to worship and discuss and that an evil man came among them and ended their lives.

Therefore you cannot recognise the incident for what it was - the wrath of God.
No reason to think it and I've answered on the sad nature and consequence of your approach. I've rejected it as rightly as Job rejected his friends in their similar estimation.

And if it was possible for Job, then it breaks your posit as an automatic assumption, even without other scriptural support. And if your assumption can't be made and the appearance/facts at hand speak against it a reasonable man will believe, absent convincing evidence, that it is as it appears to be.

You deny, and continue to deny, that it was so.
I continue to reject an assumption that can't stand as a rule and runs contrary to any fact known. Sure.

And what is this 'pretty good reason' that you have, that assures you they were actual, true Christians?
The evidence speaks to it and nothing known speaks against it.

If the biblical principle of reaping and sowing doesn't apply to incidents such as these (which is what you are saying?), where and when does it apply then? Give some examples.
No, you can make your own argument for your exegesis and when it applies. My only task, in differing, is to establish reasonably that it isn't a rule, supra. Which I did easily enough with Job.

That said, I think you begin with a wrong understanding.

"Many excuse themselves from the work of religion, though they may make a show, and profess it. They may impose upon others, yet they deceive themselves if they think to impose upon God, who knows their hearts as well as actions; and as he cannot be deceived, so he will not be mocked. Our present time is seed time; in the other world we shall reap as we sow now. As there are two sorts of sowing, one to the flesh, and the other to the Spirit, so will the reckoning be hereafter. Those who live a carnal, sensual life, must expect no other fruit from such a course than misery and ruin. But those who, under the guidance and influences of the Holy Spirit, live a life of faith in Christ, and abound in Christian graces, shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting." Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

His troubles were brought upon him by God (and through Satan), but not because of sin.
The point remaining that Job had done nothing, sewn nothing that accounted for the destruction of his family and fortune. And that undoes your assumption.

The Bible says that he was a perfect, upright man, who eschewed evil (Job 1:1). Men of holy conduct are not afflicted for the same reasons that unrepentant disobeyers are; which is what all the victims of the shooting must have been - their tragic deaths testify to their unrepentance.
"The term “perfect” means properly “complete,” without defect. It does not imply that the man was sinless, for Job never puts forward any such pretension, but that he was a righteous man and free from specific sins such as were held to bring down the chastisement of heaven. " Cambridge Commentaries

Which undoes your assumption.

Let me ask you. If these 'victims' (who were infact perpetrators of God's Law) were really as innocent and blameless as you seem to suggest, why would God allow them to die so tragically - where would be the justice/fairness in that?
Who said this world was just or that these people believed in asking for or receiving that sort of literal protection from God? And every man dies. These died loving and worshiping God. Who knows what good will be brought out of the evil done to them?

I guess you didn't catch onto the sarcasm in that statement.
Rather, it's your inability to credit anyone who differs with you of having an equal faculty and that makes you assume as you just did instead of realizing you were being met, if a bit more dryly.

And that only makes it funnier. :)

God merely forgives, without dishing out justice? You think there was no consequences for those who killed Him?
Depends on what they did with the grace being offered, so it's not my place to say what came from it. Maybe some became his sheep. Maybe only others benefited from that remarkable moment. God knows. I don't have to know. I only have to accept that whatever came from it was to His purpose.

Is he any more evil and twisted than you are? Have you not committed murder yourself? If not in deed, then in thought and word - which is just as bad.
All sin has the same wage, so comparing sins and men absent grace is fruitless and with grace, pointless. :)

Self praise? How so?
By way of example, when you write, "If you were aware of the reality that pertains to this matter..." you are inferring that you are aware and occupy that superior position. Were you not you couldn't recognize the lack in any other. Similarly, if you say, "You differ with the truth" then you're inferring that you are the possessor of the truth and in that superior position. Else, you couldn't judge who had or failed to have it.

You do a lot of that. I expect you to think you're right, but declarations without argument of that sort don't interest me and so my remark.

Why would one need to reason on a matter, when one has received revelation concerning that matter?
We're taught to conform our understanding to the Word and to test any claim against scripture. You can't do that with revelation that resists reason.

Do you admit that there's the possibility of you being wrong, in regard to matter of the shooting incident; as well as other matters?
Not in the above premise. In my particular reason? Here, I can't see how, but I'm open to reason on the point. I haven't heard any so far, only declaration and professions that lay claim to a superior position without proof. Moreover, with profession admitting to the inability to provide it.

Or rather, the fault is in trying to use reason where it has no place. Don't you know that reasoning can't provide answers to every question?
There are all sorts of questions that have yet to be answered. There are things beyond our understanding. But this isn't demonstrably one of them. And questions that can be answered can be examined by and defended with reason.

There are certain truths which a person cannot be made aware of through reasoning, but only through revelation.
I believe that God convicts us, to be sure. Beyond that? Supra.

What if there is no error in what he is saying, what if its the truth? What will you say then?
You do realize that this is only you, again, if in a different way, asking what I've already answered in a few ways. I'm not going to keep answering it. There's no point.

...If i'm mistaken, let the error be shown to me.
How? It's an empty invitation given you're resting on a thing you can't prove and feel is superior to the thing that could unseat it.

...I have not proved what I have said - because I can't, and it's not in my power to do so.
Which should lead a reasonable man to question why God would give him a thing without a sign or any other way to set it as proof for the edification of anyone.

The obvious answer is that He wouldn't. But that's what reason is for and how it protects us, as a God given faculty should, if we use it within the context provided us.

It must be through revelation. Your own eyes must be opened to see this truth. It can't be comprehended by reason.
Said every other man committed to a sanitarium, but no prophet that I know of, since they could all be tested and demonstrate their authority.

On the sillier point...
Let me get this clear. Are you denying that you haven't invested alot?
Let me be clearer, this is how this particular side bar began:
...What if I am right about the matter - what will you do then? If only you could swallow your pride and obstinacy, and admit that your perspective is wrong, and that mine is right. You will not admit to me being right, however, because then it means that you are wrong - and that means your world crumbles. You are surely a king in your own eyes; one whose views are the laws of the land. You have built up a kingdom for yourself on this website - you have a reputation to uphold, a pride to keep intact, and a self-identity to preserve. I imagine you have alot more to lose in being wrong, than I do.
With you ironically trying to call me out as proud for not bending knee to your claims of revelation. You then proceeded to try to cobble that case about pride, without the least appearance of appreciating your irony, by proclaiming me a king in my own eyes and attempting to rest that assumption on another, that I'd carved out a kingdom replete with obligations to defend a self identity, etc.

Your latest attempt is simply a new term, investment. But it's the same weak sister attempt to do by character attack what you admit to being unable to do rationally.

My answer was given. Invested is the wrong word to my mind, unless you use it in the innocuous manner of someone describing a rewarding experience over time, friendships made, etc. I haven't built a kingdom, I'm fashioned a few relationships I value and earned and given respect to people I often differ with by virtue of how I met them in difference (and vice versa).

'Here's a reasoned response'. It's become quite clear by this statement, and the ones before, that reason itself is what you worship
Apparent to someone who needs to attach to reason a thing that shouldn't attach in order to elevate his own claim to a comparative respectability it cannot otherwise possess.

I worship God. I use my God given reason to read newspapers through self-appointed prophets and judges of men and truth that cannot be measured.

- you think it to be the solution to all problems and questions.
To what can be answered meaningfully, certainly. Faith isn't the enemy of reason. Ignorance is the enemy of reason.

To you, it [reason] is far above anything else, even God... isn't it?
Of course not. Supra. Now stand still, I'm nearly at the sports page.

M

Man.0

Once again, pardon the hiatus.

Physical slavery may have been abolished (although it surely exists in some countries). But what about the slavery that still exists, in its many insidious and subtle forms? What about the slavery of employees to their workers?
I think that's a poor use of the word

Are you saying there's no other type of slavery than physical slavery (e.g. the oppression suffered by black people in the deep south of America; or the slavery that was prevalent in Roman culture)? Are you saying there's no intangible forms of slavery? Can one not be psychologically, emotionally, or spiritually enslaved?

I think it was a valid and legitimate use of the word. I would say that anyone who is dominantly controlled, or mastered by a person, or thing (be it tangle or intangible) is a slave. I believe every human is a slave to at least something. Surely there's a certain thing or number of things in your own life, that you are a slave to? Would you be honest enough to list a few? At any rate, you're most certainly a slave to sin, like most of the world is. Jesus said, in John 8:34. '“Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.' Do you commit sin, Town Heretic? Yes? Then you're a slave to sin.

and I wouldn't use slavery to describe a voluntary position

The apostle Paul (he himself a 'bond-servant' - Romans 1:1- i.e. a slave) spoke of offering one's self to be a slave. Isn't offering, voluntary?

'Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?...Just as you used to offer yourselves as slaves to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer yourselves as slaves to righteousness leading to holiness.' (Romans 6:16-19)

And he speaks of offering one's self as a slave to something intangible - impurity, wickedness, righteousness. What Paul has said in the above passage, shows that physical slavery isn't the only form of slavery.

(see what I mean about variance?).

No I don't see what you mean. Perhaps you can explain?

Any number, though those encompass a lot of law and progress. I only need one to make the case that society is a work in and about progress.

When, do you think, will society stop being a 'work in and about progress', and actually be a finished product? If the problem is society itself (which it is) - can society overcome itself, by its own volition?

What about the following evils: child & adult prostitution; drug trafficking; terrorism;
Those are illegal

So what if they're illegal? Their illegal status hasn't stopped people from doing those things. Making things illegal isn't enough to solve society's problems. Society needs to go to the root of the problems - which, as I've said before, is actually the corrupt, internal condition of human beings, otherwise known as sinful nature. But even if society did recognise the problem, it would be utterly incapable of solving it. The solution is God Himself. Divine intervention is absolutely needed. God intervening in the life of every individual, effecting a divine, definite change in a person's nature, bringing about inner transformation by His Spirit. Aswell as this individual intervention, there will certainly need to be divine intervention on a mass scale; else society shall surely destroy itself. I think the following verse is applicable:

'In fact, unless that time of calamity is shortened, not a single person will survive. But it will be shortened for the sake of God's chosen ones.' (Matthew 24:22)

and so, as with any crime, our society is locked in a war with that criminal element.

Society very much seems to be losing that war, for it has not yet prevailed over that 'criminal element'. It's attacked on all sides, not just by one criminal element, but surely hundreds. Will society ever prevail? Absolutely not. At least not by its own doing.

Prostitution, they say, is one of the world's oldest professions. It is an evil that society has not, for thousands of years, taken active action to completely abolish. Why? I think it's because society values the freedom, rights, and liberty of individuals over morality itself.

By the way, I think prositution, like slavery, also exists in intangible forms. One of Google's definitions of prostitution is, 'the unworthy or corrupt use of one's talents for personal or financial gain.' And I don't it could be limited to just talents, but could include things such as resources, skills, personality traits, qualities, social connections, and so forth.

There's other words which can have broader meanings than the meanings people typically associate them with. Another example is 'rape'. Rape can also be used to describe/define that which is non-sexual. It could be said that 'rape' is any form of abuse in which someone takes advantage of, or selfishly uses a person for what they have or possess.

Depending on your moral perspective its odious or you're indifferent to the distinction between it and heterosexual marriage. In any event it isn't a crime and in a secular state shouldn't be. A long discussion that's been had in a number of threads here.

Why do you say it shouldn't be a crime in a secular state? Are you saying that same-sex marriage is only wrong according to the society/state that deems it to be wrong; and that it is not objectively wrong? If not, what are you saying?

There should be some type of universal, objective law, which applies across the board. A law that punishes crimes, no matter what governmental state is power; and no matter the context, environment, culture or scenario. Oh yes, there is. It's the Law of God, which despite all appearances, is active and enforced throughout the world. For there are consequences and ramifications of breaking this Law - even if an individual is ignorant of it.

...What about all these evils - what has society done about them?
Too broad.

Is it the question that is too broad? If so, how? And how can a question be too broad? I can understand an answer being too broad, but a question? I don't see how.

Society is and has been doing a great many things on a number of the issues you noted.

A great many things, you say? One would think the world would be a blissful utopia by now, with the 'great many things' that society is doing, and has done. Yet is a mess, and has been ever since the Adamic fall.

You may say to me, 'Well, it takes time - they're working on it'.
I might on some. Mostly I'd say, as with crime, it's likely a war that never ends. Human beings have addressed many of these for the life of humanity with no final solution in sight.

There is a solution, but society, on the whole, can neither recognise nor implement it. I would actually say that the problems society faces, aren't the real issue. Humans themselves are the issue - they are the problem. They are the central problem from which all other problems arise. First and foremost, humans need to change - from the inside out. It has to be that way.

So I'm not sure what your complaint, again, broad as it is, should signify.

My complaint, or rather, my conviction, is that society, try as it might, will never ever solve its problems on its own. As mentioned earlier, it needs Divine intervention.

No government is or has been offered as a solution to all ills. Governments, especially modern ones, are our attempt to balance and protect right. We build laws and institutions to further that understanding that with liberty/freedom will come all sorts of human responses that are in violation of the intent of our compact.

Liberty and freedom for all! Humanity wants to be free, in all aspects, totally unrestrained. Yet that liberty and freedom (because it is in the hands of corrupt humans) brings forth depravity and destruction. Liberty and freedom are good in themselves, don't mistake me for saying that they're not; but when in the hands of those who are evil, it can't possibly be of any good use.

...What society doesn't recognise is that the problem is with the individual - if each individual wasn't evil, then society wouldn't be evil.
I think you're too broad again.

Again, how am I being too broad?

The nature of man is recognized by the majority of people in this country and has been by the majority of Christians for a few thousand years.

If the nature of man has been recognised, why hasn't something been done by people to change that nature? If I may answer my own question, I'd say that human nature hasn't been changed because people can't change themselves. God, who is outside of themselves, needs to change them.

Society also doesn't recognise that this internal change can only be wrought by God, through His Spirit - transforming a person from selfish to unselfish, from doing their own will to doing His will.

I don't think that's the problem.

If you don't think that's problem, then what is? And what's the solution?

I'd say that history evidences human progress, not a slide into something less, though within cycles there can be a waxing and waning.

You believe that humans are morally progressing? Yes, they're certainly progressing....

deeper and deeper into the depths of depravity. Doesn't the appearance of new evils (such as terrorism, genetically modified food, vaccinations, HIV) prove that to be the case? If you believe in the 'last days' you will be aware that society has progressed into a distinct state of depravity; a state which perhaps hasn't been seen since the days just before the Genesis flood, which wiped out the entire earth (apart from 8 people, and some animals) because of the evil performed therein.

You don't have to wonder. Simply look at my designation. I can't think of a better word than evil to sum the Nazi experiment, fueled as it was by racist hatred and the dehumanization and attempted murder of whole peoples as the natural end of that process.

I don't think you quite understood my question. I was wondering how you, or society, can deem another culture as being evil; without having an objective standard of morality to back up your allegation? What is it that informs your allegation, or judgment? How can you (or society), with your subjective judgment, declare them as being absolutely and definitely evil? Where's the objectivity?

While back on the subject of your continuing attempt to blame the slaughtered victims of the South Carolina church shooting...

And your continuing inability and incomprehension, to see it for what it was. I don't know whether it's just inability or stubborness.

You are merely judging by appearance.
No, I'm noting the facts at hand and against the unsupported notion

It's not an unsupported notion. It's supported by revelation, but you do not accept revelation, do you? Thankfully something needn't be accepted by you, in order to be true.

that those alleged to be actively and uniformly (since they all died) rebelling against God would be found in a worship service at a church.

It shouldn't be a surprise that criminals should be found at their place of operation.

It's not impossible, but it isn't in the realm of the likely and the simplest,

How do you know it's not likely? Where's your statistical research and evidence that has lead you to such a definite conclusion? If you are going to make an objective, probability-based statement - 'it isn't in the realm of the likely' - where's your mathematical/statistical findings to prove that it isn't? If it is not something you can prove statistically, why did you make such a statement in the first place?

most reasonable answer is that these people were there to worship and discuss and that an evil man came among them and ended their lives.

But do you know the reason why 'an evil man came among them and ended their lives'? Do you know the root cause? Do you know, or are you aware of, the general rules (and there are rules) that bring evil upon a person/group of people?

Therefore you cannot recognise the incident for what it was - the wrath of God.
No reason to think it and I've answered on the sad nature and consequence of your approach. I've rejected it as rightly as Job rejected his friends in their similar estimation.

You reject the truth, which confronts you. Much like the Christ-crucifiers who rejected Him who is Truth. Perhaps they knew He is the Truth, yet still decided to reject Him. Or perhaps they didn't know He is the truth - and still rejected Him. I don't know what's more sad and tragic: knowing the truth and rejecting it, or rejecting the truth without knowing it.

And if it was possible for Job, then it breaks your posit as an automatic assumption, even without other scriptural support. And if your assumption can't be made and the appearance/facts at hand speak against it a reasonable man will believe, absent convincing evidence, that it is as it appears to be.

It's assumption for me to say that the shooting was the wrath of God? It was not an assumption, but a declaration, informed by, and based on, revelatory truth. A truth which has not been revealed to you. If it had been, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

You deny, and continue to deny, that it was so.
I continue to reject an assumption that can't stand as a rule and runs contrary to any fact known. Sure.

There is a rule. The rule is this: untimely deaths and tragedies befall a person because of disobedience, sin, and unrepentance. Luke 13:1-5 supports that rule. As for Job, this particular rule doesn't apply to him. For he was neither unrepentant nor living in sin.

And what is this 'pretty good reason' that you have, that assures you they were actual, true Christians?
The evidence speaks to it and nothing known speaks against it.

What evidence? What evidence have you provided? As far as I'm aware, you have provided none.

No, you can make your own argument for your exegesis and when it applies. My only task, in differing, is to establish reasonably that it isn't a rule, supra. Which I did easily enough with Job.

It is a rule though. It is one rule and the case of Job (and the saints who experience bad things) is another rule entirely. Why different rules? Because the causes are different. While one type of tragedy, or suffering, is caused by sin (e.g. the tragedy of the S.C.'innocents'); the other is not (e.g. the suffering of Job). Two different rules.

Our present time is seed time; in the other world we shall reap as we sow now.

Even now we reap. Consider smoking, for example. One begins the habit now in this world, and can reap the consequences now, in this world. Those consequences are well-known. E.g. having a heart attack; contracting lung disease; experiencing an early death.

The point remaining that Job had done nothing, sewn nothing that accounted for the destruction of his family and fortune. And that undoes your assumption.

If Job was entirely innocent or had done nothing, why is it that he repented (Job 42:6)? What was he repenting from, if he had done nothing?

Even the One (that is, Jesus Christ) Who had done nothing - He hadn't sinned or been rebellious - even He need to go through suffering (Hebrews 2:10; Hebrews 5:8). If Christ Himself needed to go through suffering, how much do his saints, his disciples, his followers? How much more do they need to go through fiery trials and sufferings, for the sake of perfection! The trials that Job underwent were for the purpose of purification. He emerged on the other side, purified, and in a better state than he was before - in all aspects. His sufferings didn't destroy him, but brought him into a new state of being and awareness. However, the S.C. 'saints' weren't enlightened by what they suffered, were they? They were destroyed. They died; Job didn't. They were in their sins. Job wasn't.

"The term “perfect” means properly “complete,” without defect. It does not imply that the man was sinless,

Who's saying that he was ? What man, apart from Christ, ever was or is sinless?

Which undoes your assumption.

I wasn't making an assumption in the first place. I do believe it's often the case, that a person who makes an assumption, is trying to prove something. I wasn't, and haven't, been trying to prove anything. As I think I've told you before, proof cannot be provided to you in this matter. You seem to think that everything can be proved with reason and logic. I don't believe this is so. There are many things which cannot be proved by reason or logic, yet these things are believed nonetheless.The existence of angels is an example.

Who said this world was just

Though the world may seem unfair and without justice, it is infact governed by a just God, Who ensures that no offender of His Law, slips through the cracks. Everyone gets what they deserve.

or that these people believed in asking for or receiving that sort of literal protection from God?

I don't quite get what you're saying, or trying to say? Do you really try to make sure that what you say is structured and delivered well, for the understanding of those who read your words? More on this later...

And every man dies.

As I've already said, the nature of a man's death is a testimony of, or a testament to, the life he lived.

These died loving and worshiping God.

And you know that because? Because they were conducting a bible study in a church? That means they were automatically loving and worshipping God?

We are to worship Him in spirit and in truth (John 4:24). The fact that the people were worshipping in the surroundings of a religious building, shows that they were not at all worshipping in spirit and in truth. When did God ever say that He should be worshipped artificially, in such a building? Even the temple that the Jews built for worship, that temple was destroyed, and has not been rebuilt since. Since Christ came, the temple, or the place of worship, is no longer to be a structure or building, but our own bodies (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). In that way, we worship 24/7; not just at a particular place and time.

Depends on what they did with the grace being offered, so it's not my place to say what came from it. Maybe some became his sheep. Maybe only others benefited from that remarkable moment. God knows. I don't have to know. I only have to accept that whatever came from it was to His purpose.

Why do you not, then, accept His purpose in other circumstances - such as in the S.C. shooting? Do you not think the shooting was to His purpose? Do you think it was not His will that such a thing should have happened? If God is truly sovereign (you at least seem to recognise this) then anything that happens to anyone, is according to His purpose, isn't it?

All sin has the same wage, so comparing sins and men absent grace is fruitless and with grace, pointless.

You seem to have a fine way of not answering questions directly. Quite a deflector aren't you?

Self praise? How so?
By way of example, when you write, "If you were aware of the reality that pertains to this matter..." you are inferring that you are aware and occupy that superior position.

It's certainly a better position to be in, but does that make me superior as a person, because I know something that you don't? Of course not. I simply know something that you don't.

Consider this analogy:

One person has an orange. Another person also has an orange. One of them is given a banana. So now he has two pieces of fruit - an orange and a banana. Is he, therefore, superior to the other person because he has been given more fruit? I don't think so.

Were you not you couldn't recognize the lack in any other. Similarly, if you say, "You differ with the truth" then you're inferring that you are the possessor of the truth and in that superior position. Else, you couldn't judge who had or failed to have it.

And how does that all connect to me self-praising? You simply dont know the truth, concerning the matter of the S.C. shooting. So how am I self-praising by stating the reality, of you being unaware of the truth?

You do a lot of that. I expect you to think you're right, but declarations without argument of that sort don't interest me and so my remark.

I don't know what 'argument' you want from me? A reasoned one? Even if I were able to supply you with reams and reams of reasoning, you still wouldn't understand. For this is not a thing you can understand simply through the facet of reason. I'm sure i've already told you this. I'm sure i've already told you that what you need is revelation.

We're taught

By whom?

to conform our understanding to the Word and to test any claim against scripture.

Says who?

You can't do that with revelation that resists reason.

You say my revelation is 'resisting' reason. Is it not your reason that is resisting revelation? Think about that.

Do you admit that there's the possibility of you being wrong, in regard to matter of the shooting incident; as well as other matters?
Not in the above premise. In my particular reason? Here, I can't see how, but I'm open to reason on the point.

You're only open to reason, not revelation... that's true, isn't it?

I haven't heard any so far,

How do you expect me to reason something which can only be revealed? It's like getting a blind person to see what can only be seen with vision; or getting the carnal man to understand that which is spiritual.

'But the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.'
(1 Corinthians 2:14)

only declaration and professions that lay claim to a superior position without proof. Moreover, with profession admitting to the inability to provide it.

The declaration I made, concerning the shooting, is not of a provable nature. I've told you that quite a few times now.

By the way, I'd like to know if you live your life that way? Do you ask for, or demonstrate proof, in your daily life? The last meal that you ate, did you obtain proof that it didn't contain any harmful chemicals, preservatives, and additives? Before you married your wife (if you have one) did you obtain proof that she isn't gonna cheat on you? Likewise, prove that you'll always be faithful to your wife? Prove to me that you had that dream the other night? Where's the proof from your boss that shows he's gonna pay you your next wage? Where's the proof from your church leader that shows he's not misleading you? Et cetera, Et cetera. Many things you accept without proof; yet you don't want to accept what I've said (as a result of revelation) about the S.C. shooting. This is one reason why I say you're obstinate. You imply that you can't accept my revelation without proof; yet there are many things in your day-to-day life which you blindly accept, without any proof whatsoever.

There are all sorts of questions that have yet to be answered. There are things beyond our understanding. But this isn't demonstrably one of them. And questions that can be answered can be examined by and defended with reason.

Reason, reason, reason. How much you seem to idolise reason. If reason itself could reason, I imagine it would be utterly appalled to be placed on the exceedingly high pedestal which its worshippers (of which you seem to be one of them) place it on; and it would perhaps be disgusted by the undue reverence people give it.

...If i'm mistaken, let the error be shown to me.
How? It's an empty invitation given you're resting on a thing you can't prove and feel is superior to the thing that could unseat it.

Errors can always be proven to be wrong. So if there's errors in what I've said, they can surely be proven to be so; or the errors can be at least pointed out. I'm waiting for you to do either of the two, or both.

...I have not proved what I have said - because I can't, and it's not in my power to do so.
Which should lead a reasonable man to question why God would give him a thing without a sign or any other way to set it as proof for the edification of anyone.

What makes you think that God gives revelation to a person just so he can edify others with that revelation? Consider Peter, for example, who received revelation that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. What do you think he was supposed to do with such revelation - use it to edify others? Would they even believe what he said? Would they understand? Would they accept it? No, for 'the carnal man receives not the things of God' (1 Corinthians 2:14). The revelation would have to be revealed to them, just like it was revealed to Peter. Likewise all these things i've been trying to communicate to you, about the wrath of God, must be revealed to you. The fact that you do not accept what I say, shows in itself, that you have not received that revelation.

The obvious answer is that He wouldn't.

You speak for God, do you? How do you know that He wouldn't bestow the gift of revelation, for no other reason except for the benefit/edification of the recipient - not for the edification of others?

But that's what reason is for and how it protects us, as a God given faculty should, if we use it within the context provided us.

The very thing that you say protects you, is also a blockade for you. You are hemming yourself in with reason, on all sides, not allowing yourself to be penetrated with the truth of revelation. You refuse the very thing that would free you from your ignorance. That's a shame, and a pity.

It must be through revelation. Your own eyes must be opened to see this truth. It can't be comprehended by reason.
Said every other man committed to a sanitarium, but no prophet that I know of, since they could all be tested and demonstrate their authority.

Do tell me... how could they be tested, and how would their authority be demonstrated?

With you ironically trying to call me out as proud for not bending knee to your claims of revelation.
You then proceeded to try to cobble that case about pride, without the least appearance of appreciating your irony, by proclaiming me a king in my own eyes and attempting to rest that assumption on another, that I'd carved out a kingdom replete with obligations to defend a self identity, etc.

Is that really not the case - that you're not a king in your own eyes? You may admit that you're not. But what someone says with words is not always a reflection of reality.

Your latest attempt is simply a new term, investment. But it's the same weak sister attempt to do by character attack what you admit to being unable to do rationally.

Character attack? That's a rather strong allegation. Perhaps you should take me court and sue me for libel. And if you do not do so, I'd like to know why.

My answer was given. Invested is the wrong word to my mind, unless you use it in the innocuous manner of someone describing a rewarding experience over time, friendships made, etc. I haven't built a kingdom, I'm fashioned a few relationships I value and earned and given respect to people I often differ with by virtue of how I met them in difference (and vice versa).

Why do you view the word 'invested' as having a negative connotation? Why do you seem ashamed to admit that you have invested time, energy and effort into this website?

'Here's a reasoned response'. It's become quite clear by this statement, and the ones before, that reason itself is what you worship
Apparent to someone who needs to attach to reason a thing that shouldn't attach in order to elevate his own claim to a comparative respectability it cannot otherwise possess.

Tell me, are you not a reason-worshipper? Yes or No? Surely you can answer a simple yes or no question directly. I expect you not to deflect this question.

I worship God.

Why do you lie?

I use my God given reason to read newspapers through self-appointed prophets and judges of men and truth that cannot be measured.

If you say that language is first and foremost, communication (this is what you said in the 'Objectivity thread - which you still have not replied to); then you would frame your sentences, and structure your words in the simplest way possible - to allow the meaning to be clearly understood by the recipient. I think you often fail to do this. Rather, it seems your primary intention is to express yourself, without being considerate of whether the message you deliver is effectively communicated or not. This goes back to what I said in the 'Objectivity' thread, about expression being the primary aim of language. I would say that you surely help to prove my point.

Faith isn't the enemy of reason. Ignorance is the enemy of reason.

You often make objective statements (just as you have done here), as if you know what is actually the truth. As if you are the dictator and definer of truth.

You don't even frame it as your own subjective opinion, by saying, 'I think' or 'I would say that...'. You just put it forth as an objective statement, as if what you say were definitive and truthful. Who or what informed you that ignorance is the enemy of reason? Or are you just merely speculating? If you are just speculating (which very much appears to be the case) then at least have the honesty to admit it.

To you, it [reason] is far above anything else, even God... isn't it?
Of course not.

There are surely many things which you value more than God. Reason may well be one of them. Yes, it very much seems that reason is one of your cherished idols. What are the others? Would you be honest enough to admit them? Do you even know what they are?

Now stand still, I'm nearly at the sports page.

Another instance of where expression has taken priority over communication. If you really think communication is the most important aspect of language, then you would have at least explained what you have just said; or made the meaning clearer; so that it may be fully understood by the one it is directed towards. What you seem to have made is an ambiguous, personal joke. I wonder, who, but yourself, actually gets it?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think you're going to need to break these into pieces. Just getting extraordinarily, rules breaking long. I'll see if I can hit the highlights then.
Are you saying there's no other type of slavery than physical slavery.
No.

No I don't see what you mean. Perhaps you can explain?
Sorry, but when you wait this long between posts you'll have to ask questions that don't call for me to go back and read the past exchanges. Too time consuming.

When, do you think, will society stop being a 'work in and about progress', and actually be a finished product? If the problem is society itself (which it is) - can society overcome itself, by its own volition?
I don't see any reason to think societies, which are dynamic in nature, will ever be finished products. At least not in this life. We struggle, collectively, against the worst part of human nature. It's ongoing as man is ongoing. And that nature, barred in one particular, will surface in another.

Gay marriage
Why do you say it shouldn't be a crime in a secular state?
I don't see a strong secular argument against it.

On the shooting victims...
And your continuing inability and incomprehension, to see it for what it was. I don't know whether it's just inability or stubborness.
I don't have any difficulty seeing what it was and less difficulty noting the problem with your irrational and closed loop of an approach through "revelation".

It's not an unsupported notion. It's supported by revelation, but you do not accept revelation, do you? Thankfully something needn't be accepted by you, in order to be true.
That's not the problem. The problem is that it needn't be true to be accepted by you and you've no way to test its truth. Well, that's one problem. The other is that nightmare of a metaphysical "they got what they deserved" caste system it creates.

How do you know it's not likely?
Because I'm rational. For the same reason that if a lot of people were killed at a particular candidate's campaign office the presumption, absent evidence to the contrary, would be that most of those killed were supporters of the particular campaign.

Where's your statistical research and evidence that has lead you to such a definite conclusion?
It doesn't have to be and isn't advanced as definitive, only the reasonable position to hold absent some definitive reason not to.

You reject the truth, which confronts you
No, I'm rejecting your assumption, the way Job rejected his "friends" and noting that his friends believed as you do and were wrong. Job, a very great man, did nothing to bring evil onto himself.

It's assumption for me to say that the shooting was the wrath of God?
That's the kindest treatment of it, yes.

I do believe it's often the case, that a person who makes an assumption, is trying to prove something. I wasn't, and haven't, been trying to prove anything.
Then you're succeeding wildly.

As I think I've told you before, proof cannot be provided to you in this matter.
Right. Closed system. Can't really be questioned. Revelation. And that's why this conversation, beyond my pointing out the problems with that approach, is doomed.

It's certainly a better position to be in, but does that make me superior as a person, because I know something that you don't? Of course not. I simply know something that you don't.
Now you're being coy. If it wasn't better you wouldn't value it. If it wasn't better to know you'd be as well off not knowing.

And how does that all connect to me self-praising?
I've told you but the simplest illustration is found in your disparaging remarks regarding how you see my state for not accepting your version of truth, supra and prior.

You say my revelation is 'resisting' reason.
You said it, when you noted it couldn't be questioned by you and that you had no proof. I only underlined your points.

You're only open to reason, not revelation... that's true, isn't it?
I'm a Christian, so no. But revelation isn't a thing opposed to reason or which cannot be examined by it, except in your sort of use.

Reason, reason, reason. How much you seem to idolise reason
Reduces to "thinking, thinking, you have to think about everything." Of course. Why wouldn't I? Reason is only the enemy of those without it or whose desires would be thwarted by it.

What makes you think that God gives revelation to a person just so he can edify others with that revelation?
Then keep it to yourself. Because if it serves only you then what you're doing here is accomplishing nothing.

You speak for God, do you?
If that's how you want to characterize using my God given gift to examine a claim, but it isn't how I'd put it.

Why do you view the word 'invested' as having a negative connotation? Why do you seem ashamed to admit that you have invested time, energy and effort into this website?
I don't see it as inherently negative, though it needs qualification. What I've noted is your attempt to spin it as a negative. I quoted your initial reach on the point. The words you chose were words aimed at the negative. So I addressed your attempt, qualified to clarify what my investment was in rejecting that attempt by you.

Tell me, are you not a reason-worshipper? Yes or No? Surely you can answer a simple yes or no question directly. I expect you not to deflect this question.
Ask a reasonable question. This is just an insult with funny punctuation.

I wrote: I worship God.
Why do you lie?
Supra. And that's about as clear a proof as can be regarding your posture.

There are surely many things which you value more than God.
No, but it appears to be like you to say so.

M

Man.0

I shan't be replying to you again in this thread. This is a merry-go-round discussion, which seems perpetual and never-ending.

You will not accept my position (because you do not think it to be true) and I will not convert to your perspective (because I know, and believe, what has been made known to me is true).

I've said to you before, and I'll say it one last time: what you need is revelation. Until you receive that revelation (which will surely come one day) there's no amount of reasoning I can put forth to get you to understand.

So, that's it.

journey

I shan't be replying to you again in this thread. This is a merry-go-round discussion, which seems perpetual and never-ending.

You will not accept my position (because you do not think it to be true) and I will not convert to your perspective (because I know, and believe, what has been made known to me is true).

I've said to you before, and I'll say it one last time: what you need is revelation. Until you receive that revelation (which will surely come one day) there's no amount of reasoning I can put forth to get you to understand.

So, that's it.

I also don't accept your position, and I doubt that many others do.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

I've said to you before, and I'll say it one last time: what you need is revelation.
My response remains, you have a closed system incapable of seeing or having error exposed by its very nature. To me that's unintentionally leaning into your own understanding. Because if you're wrong about what you feel is revelation there's no means to reach you.

:e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You don't eradicate history when you contextualize it. Seems reasonable. It's their public image and the two men don't match up with it. Should USC have had to keep O.J.'s Heisman on display or was it their business? If your employee of the month turned out to be a pedophile would you keep the plaque up?

Not much difference, really.

Clem

May God Open Our Eyes Wide; Be Not 'Astonished' !!

May God Open Our Eyes Wide; Be Not 'Astonished' !!

I pray that God finds him before the authorities do.

Does 'insanity' even exist?

Is not the real 'insanity' seeing 'irrationality' where it existeth not?

Where is the help that I need?

I pray for 'humiliation' -- the removal of all 'prejudgment' !!

I guess the salvation of the next men, is not my 'cross' to bear.

What right do I have to a 'cross' anyway?

In the UK, 'cross', as an adjective, means 'removed by vexation'.

Is not 'vexation' a 'sin' -- am I not of this world?; a world that was made before me & for me?

More 'sins' -- 'parsimony' / 'impropriety' / 'salaciousness'?

Clem

Questions:

The shooter's history?
His state of mind?
His motivation?
What was in his heart?
What was in his mind?
What was bugging him?
What ideally would he have liked to achieve?
(Clearly what he actually has done was pointless, if not counterproductive).
Was he a lone, lonely, misunderstood, marginalised misfit?
Or was he connected with any 'group', 'ideological/counter-ideological movement' or 'in-crowd'?
Is this some kind of rejection of some aspect of the Zeitgeist, the totality of the Zeitgeist,
or fear about where the Zeitgeist might be taking us/heading?
What can/should we do individually and/or collectively to respond more helpfully (past/present/future)
to other lone/connected, lonely, misunderstood, marginalised misfits?
In what ways was this 'insanity' random/non-random (given that random is usually transference)?
Why this individual, a Bible Study Group, this Bible Study Group, Christianity, this local Christian Culture?
Influence of various forms of Christianity & Christianity in general
on the developmental history of the shooter?
Is this kind of atrocity any business of the Christian Community?
Do we need more Christians/Christian Psychologist in politics?

Should the Christian Community take a political stance on the administration of criminal justice, crime and correction/punishment?

Last edited: